PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers are going to beat the Patriots

ShutDown24
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Watching tonight?s game between the cheaters and Colts has confirmed my theory. Here is what we do. Coach, if you?re secretly a member of this board pay attention ;) ? I have been thinking about this since week 3.

Randy Moss ? Man to man him with Ike the WHOLE GAME. We all know Taylor excels when covering receivers man to man, especially big name receivers. Play a deep zone with the open safety to the side of the field that Moss is on if he can be spared.

Wes Welker ? Here is where the plan gets a little strewed: My original idea had B-Mac on him? But now with Bryant being injured for who knows how long (Unless you guys know something I don?t) we would have to go with Gay or Rossum man on him.

Dante Stallworth ? Deshea Townsend manned up on him. Had Stallworth been a generic receiver I would have wanted Deshea in the dime, but he?s not. Stallworth is primarily used on quick throws to gain YAC. Townsend?s strength is tackling, primarily on running plays but that?s basically what the throws to Stallworth are.

Ben Watson ? Polamalu.

We can get a good pass rush from Kiesel and Smith along with run stopping from Hampton/Hoke? Then we rotate through our linebackers dropping one into small zone depending which on the offensive formation and blitz the rest.

If this strategy doesn?t work, my back up plan would be: BLITZ THE HELL OUT OF THEM.

But seriously, with the zone in the middle of the field + man on Welker I could see him getting shut down, Moss would be a threat but you?re going to have to trust you?re guys this game so put Ike on him and back him up, Stallworth hasn?t done much this year and seems to get forgotten in some games, Polamalu usually does great on tights with the exception of a few Antonio Gates run ins... Plus, Watson is coming off an injury? Leave the run up to Steelers football and call it a game.

I know video games are a far stretch from real life, but I have used this strategy countless times before and it can just confuse people to death. (Of course, those people are not pro coaches being paid millions for their football knowledge.) I think with mixing things up a bit and elaborating this plan that I have come up with is a good one? Or at least, as good as many people could come up with? Feedback? :smile:

fansince'76
11-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm more concerned about the Ratbirds at the moment, especially now that the Seahawks choked and the Browns are suddenly 5-3.

HometownGal
11-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey, I'm with ya Shut Down. :thumbsup: After watching the Cheatsies' pretty pourous run D today and how Ass Chin got the chits when he was pressured, I believe the Steelers can (and quite possibly will) beat them.

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm more concerned about the Ratbirds at the moment, especially now that the Seahawks choked and the Browns are suddenly 5-3.

You will worry even more about the Browns if you check out who they play in the second half of the season. These next 2 games are must win games.

fansince'76
11-04-2007, 08:17 PM
You will worry even more about the Browns if you check out who they play in the second half of the season. These next 2 games are must win games.

Yep - I look at it this way: if we don't take care of business in division games, we won't deserve a postseason berth.

iupdauber
11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I dont know if I am alone on this one, but doesn't it seem as though we have a knack for beating teams we shouldnt? No disrespect to my boys in black and gold, but the Patriots this year are a team that could questionably be one of the best teams of all-time. Cheaters or not, they do win. But just like Bens rookie year. Eagles and Pats were supposed to walk all over us, and we blew them out of the water. From the little that I have watched the Pats play, I've noticed that Tommy boy has a little trouble holding on to the ball when getting hit in the backfield. I think the key is hitting him over and over and over and getting him rattled, because it doesnt happen often.

moedap
11-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Cant afford to have Troy P on Watson. Plus it is a mismatch in favor of the Patriots.
Timmons will have to be ready to man Watson(he is the only LB fast enough). L Woodley must also be ready because speed is needed on the outside to get pressure on Brady. A power rush like Harrisons and Haggans wont get'r done.

Borski
11-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I dont know if I am alone on this one, but doesn't it seem as though we have a knack for beating teams we shouldnt? No disrespect to my boys in black and gold, but the Patriots this year are a team that could questionably be one of the best teams of all-time. Cheaters or not, they do win. But just like Bens rookie year. Eagles and Pats were supposed to walk all over us, and we blew them out of the water. From the little that I have watched the Pats play, I've noticed that Tommy boy has a little trouble holding on to the ball when getting hit in the backfield. I think the key is hitting him over and over and over and getting him rattled, because it doesnt happen often.

and the Playoff game vs Colts during our SB run. we get ready for big games, never count us out

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Cant afford to have Troy P on Watson. Plus it is a mismatch in favor of the Patriots.
Timmons will have to be ready to man Watson(he is the only LB fast enough). L Woodley must also be ready because speed is needed on the outside to get pressure on Brady. A power rush like Harrisons and Haggans wont get'r done.

Nice point about Timmons....He does have the speed and talent to be a game changing talent that can cover TEs or even blitz the QB....But I don't seem him being a factor this year.....Its a shame since I do think Coach LeBeau could have done some interesting things with Timmons and his multi skills.....Now hopefully a light bulb goes off in Timmons head and he starts showing he is picking up this defense to get some playing time....

jjpro11
11-04-2007, 10:21 PM

timmons hasnt even seen the field other than the 4th quarter of a blowout and special teams.. barring an injury to a starter, he wont be used at all in that game. woodley still has a chance to get more playing time as the season goes on.. although our linebackers have all played well, so there just hasnt really been any opportunity for him to play either.

SteelCityMan786
11-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Let's keep focus on the Ratbirds.

Rotorhead
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Well Addai toasted the entire Pats defense, and Parker is faster and more elusive, so I know we can move the ball on them. We really need to put pressure on Brady during that game . . . and Troy needs to actually have a big game (I honestly feel he has been a nonfactor so far this year due to too much moving around). If we can pressure Brady there will be no big plays and it will be a close physical game. Every QB gets rattled if they are constantly under pressure. They dont have a running game to speak of, and our other major positive is we tackle well, so no plays off of broken tackles for the Patsies. We have to play perfect mistake free football and we will have a chance to win.

moedap
11-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I know we shouldnt be talking about how to play the Pats with the Ravens tommorrow but I just really really really dont like them. Call it jealousy or envy because thats what it is but I dont care. I really hate the Patriots.

steelpride12
11-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Sorry to concerned bout the ratbirds and how badly we need this win over any all year long!

With a win and a win next week would almost seel off the whole division but, a loss would hurt us and force us to win many more games where we could have a comfortable pocket.

Go Steelers!

Lord Stiller
11-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Well Addai toasted the entire Pats defense, and Parker is faster and more elusive

He may be faster but no way is he more elusive. Addai was juking people like Barry Sanders

GeneralRobinson
11-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Wes Welker ? Here is where the plan gets a little strewed: My original idea had B-Mac on him? But now with Bryant being injured for who knows how long (Unless you guys know something I don?t) we would have to go with Gay or Rossum man on him.

McFadden is healthy. He is not listed on the latest injury report so I assume he will play against Baltimore.

Davison_K
11-04-2007, 11:53 PM
With a win and a win next week would almost seel off the whole division

haha - you are kidding right? We have 3 divisional games AFTER we play the Ravens. It is far from sealed even if we win.

12+88=6
11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
it's funny how some people say "stay focused on the ravens". like us talking about the pats is gonna make the steelers look ahead and play bad tomorrow.

we're fans, we can talk about the super bowl if we want. it has no bearing on how the team will play.

but to beat the pats (or any team for that matter) the steelers will have to get pressure on brady plain and simple. if he has time the wr's, at least 1 of the 3, will be open and he'll throw it to him.

it's doesn't matter where the pressure comes from, but the less guys needed for the pass rush the better. even when there is pressure he can still throw a short pass and get a few yards. so they just have to play every play full tilt with no let up.

Rhee Rhee
11-05-2007, 02:39 AM
we somehow need to convert both woodley and timmons (maybe leave kiesel at DE) to DE the patriots RT and LT tackles got burned all day against dwight freeney and robert mathis... speed rushing is the only way to get past these guys and timmons and woodley give us an advantage... they may not be as great as freeney and mathis but they'll havta play a hell of a game for us to win

Crushzilla
11-05-2007, 02:58 AM
it's funny how some people say "stay focused on the ravens". like us talking about the pats is gonna make the steelers look ahead and play bad tomorrow.

we're fans, we can talk about the super bowl if we want. it has no bearing on how the team will play.

I know for me its the shear fact that if all I hear about for the next month is this 3 hours of football I may jump in the Loyalhanna...

Galax Steeler
11-05-2007, 04:54 AM
I think we can play with the patriots we need to control the clock and keep it out of bradys hands.

Steel Pit
11-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Great observations by many of you. You have scouted the Patriots quite well.

I've watched the Patriots play 4-5 games this season and I too have noticed that Brady is about 25% of himself when under duress. He doesn't handle a defender bearing down on him well at all. He typically folds up like a newspaper and falls to the turf or he'll throw a girly-looking jump pass that hits the turf well in front of the receiver.

In reference to the Patriots run defense. Man, this team is average at best when it comes to stopping the run. Their LB's are HIGHLY overrated. Vrabel, please, that dude has one good game with 3 sacks/forced fumbles and all of a sudden he's now Lawrence Taylor. Vrabel has built his reputation by playing the role of a TE. Seau, Bruschi, those guys are BUMS! Nearly all of the Patriots opponents have had success running the ball, including the STINKING DOLPHINS!

Randy Moss, This guy doesn't want to run anything but streak patterns. How is it that he can jump to the moon to catch a ball when he's in the endzone but send his pu$$y-a$$ across the middle and he'll juggle a ball that's thrown only 6 inches above him. When he does happen to catch an inside slant route watch this sissy dive to the turf just prior to a defender hitting him. Stop the streak route and you've "CONTROLLED" Randy Moss.

Two keys for the Steelers #1 Avoid throwing towards Rodney Harrison. #2 Defend Wes Welker with someone other than a 3rd string DB or LB. They're going to have assign one of their better coverage men to him.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Michael Wilbon apparently believes the possibility should not be ruled out:

Objective question from smug fan: will the Pats run defense keep them from going undefeated during the regular season and keep them from winning the Super Bowl?

Michael Wilbon: I have believed firmly that going undefeated is just too hard. Stuff happens. Somebody has a bad day, somebody is sick or distracted for a couple of plays, or the other guys plays out of his mind. The Patriots are only halfway there...I'm not ready to change my mind yet, not with games against the Steelers and (I think) the Giants remaining.

Richmond, Va.: Something is being overlooked in the aftermath of the Pats victory. The Colts will likely have to face the Steelers before facing the Patriots in the AFC playoffs. They may not be able to get past them. And I think the Steelers are good enough to beat the Pats too.

Michael Wilbon: You and I think way too much alike for your own good. I think EXACTLY the way you do about what's coming up in the next three months...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/10/29/DI2007102901269.html

SteelDogFan
11-05-2007, 03:33 PM
You guys are forgetting Walker the possession receiver. He was the reason that the Pats won the game. If you don't play a zone he will eat the D alive.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
You guys are forgetting Walker the possession receiver. He was the reason that the Pats won the game. If you don't play a zone he will eat the D alive.

I do not think anyone is forgetting him - Brady went to Welker only after 6 straight throws to Moss on the drive that cut the lead to 3 - tough to cover everyone (e.g. - focus on Moss & Welker and Stallworth will kill you).

HometownGal
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM

One of the keys to beating the Cheatsies, imho, is to pressure the living chit out of A$$ Chin. Getting in his face early and often frustrates him and causes him to hurry his throws and make mistakes as he did yesterday in the first half. Don't give him time to wind up and throw that ball downfield to Moss or Stallworth or across the middle to Welker. The Steelers D needs to make sure Fairy Tom sees the whites of their eyes starting with his first possession.

ThaTank43
11-05-2007, 04:30 PM
The pats Defence is old and can get ran over. if we hit them with a good dose of parker and Davenport than we win this game.

ben is alot better at handle people in his face than brady is so we have that on our side. geting a good push at the front is going to be big for us.

if that colts and pat game showed us anything its that the pats are beatable. but before we play them we got a few teams we need to take care of.

Dino 6 Rings
11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Sigh, I hate talking about future games, but I will.

Its simple, and it is a fact in every game, including against the Patriots.

Attack the QB, hit him hard, hit him often and hit him until the final whistle.
Stuff the Running Back, hit him harder, make him fumble, destroy his will to play.
Play solid special teams, and have great o-line play for 60 minutes.

Simple, but execution is the Key.

Tonight, McNair gets to see it and feel it first hand.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
One of the keys to beating the Cheatsies, imho, is to pressure the living chit out of A$$ Chin. Getting in his face early and often frustrates him and causes him to hurry his throws and make mistakes as he did yesterday in the first half. Don't give him time to wind up and throw that ball downfield to Moss or Stallworth or across the middle to Welker. The Steelers D needs to make sure Fairy Tom sees the whites of their eyes starting with his first possession.

The hopefully fatal flaw is that Brady may be beginning to believe the story of his wonderfulness as Belicheat already has, as evidenced by him bitching at the refs at the end of the game yesterday, presumably because the refs actually made some bad calls against the Pats.

Michael Wilbon sums it up with these Chatr House answers today:

Any idea why Brady was jawing at the ref at the end of the game in between taking a knee? Am I the only one getting tired of Brady, his designer suits, fancy-boy hair, and his Gus-Frerotte-esque head butting at the end of the game? Maybe it's just bitterness, but I remember the good old days when Brady seemed like a likable kid that you couldn't help but cheer for. These days he seems more and more like some playboy prima donna... despite his humble-pie interview act.

Michael Wilbon: You know who Brady plays for...his coach is a guy who behaves badly almost every single week for reasons that only he finds justifiable.

Speaking of jawing, looked like Dungy was trying to say something to Belichick during their "handshake" and got blown off ... anyone heard anything?

Michael Wilbon: No, but Dungy doesn't "jaw" at anybody. Belichick thinks he's the god of football right now and isn't in the mood to acknowledge anybody who not praising him to the heavens.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/10/29/DI2007102901269.html

Let's see what happens if the Ravens, Steelers, or Giants (who have a pass rush)
bounce Tommy Boy around.

Borski
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Vote for the Steelers to beat the pats here

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/ballot?event_id=3240