PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Sun - Sour Grapes Column Of The Year

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
This Baltimore Sun column reads on its face as Pats-Colts love + Ravens hating, but IMO this columnist has a definite dislike of the Steelers:sofunny:

David Steele

It was as bad as we thought.

Not the final score, 38-7, last night at Heinz Field. Not the extent to which the Ravens were humiliated by the Pittsburgh Steelers on national television, or the depth to which they sank with their ineptitude on both sides of the ball.

What became brutally evident was what America's football fans suspected the day before. The New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts are the real deal in the NFL, with the rest of the league barely visible in their rearview mirrors....

It's still hard to tell whether the Steelers are as good as they looked last night. Probably not. They still have weaknesses better teams can exploit - or lesser teams, like 3-5 Arizona and 3-5 Denver. They just never had to worry about it last night....

Watching the Patriots and Colts on Sunday made your heart sing. Watching the Steelers and Ravens the next night made your eyes bleed.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.steele06nov06,0,1266132.column

I still think the Pats & Colts are the 2 best teams in the league, but I do not see how the Steelers somehow disgraced themselves in the eyes of ths columnist last night.

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2007, 08:17 AM
"We gave them the game. Willie Parker got nothing. Najeh Davenport got nothing. They got nothing on the ground. We'll welcome them to Baltimore, and when they come, if we don't turn the ball over, we will beat the Steelers." - Ray Lewis

duma
11-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Ray Ray still believes he didn't kill a guy either. The guy is delusional. He's just lucky we decided to run the ball and get rid of the time on the clock, otherwise we would have aired it out and destroyed them even more.

fansince'76
11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
:coffee:

Jeremy
11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
In addition to the state of Ohio, I also hate Ray Lewis.

Edman
11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Ravens have Immature Bengals mentality. "The Steelers didn't beat us, we beat ourselves." That's why the Steelers will whoop the Rats again in Cracktown. And of course, the column reeks of complete sourgrapes. "We got our ass whoped by the Steelers, but the Steelers aren't better than the Pats and Colts."

We'll see you in Baltimore, Gay Ray.

fansince'76
11-06-2007, 09:25 AM
And of course, the column reeks of complete sourgrapes. "We got our ass whoped by the Steelers, but the Steelers aren't better than the Pats and Colts."

Non-sequiturs won't change the score. 38-7.

SteelersMongol
11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
... I do not see how the Steelers somehow disgraced themselves in the eyes of this columnist last night.

it's because the man's eyes were bleeding. :computer:

memphissteelergirl
11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
:coffee:

What he said....:coffee:

Jman
11-06-2007, 09:58 AM
And of course, the column reeks of complete sourgrapes. "We got our bleep whoped by the Steelers, but the Steelers aren't better than the Pats and Colts."

:iagree:

Avoiding the issue at hand is always a great way to keep readers happy...

klick81
11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow, he can't man up and say "Pittsburgh destroyed Baltimore", so he goes back to the Colts/Pats ball licking. Geez.

atrus20
11-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Some people just can't get over the fact that their team was good LAST year. The current year is never going to be the same as the year before.

steel striker
11-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Ray needs to man up on this and, i guess that will never happen. To me all that matters is make the playoffs and, then we will see what happens. You know who gave us half of a chance in out 2005 super bowl run? Not many people and, really think we can do this. It all comes down to our defense getting prussure on the other teams qb and, then on Ben making good decisions. Look at brady & manning when they get pressure they look like a very normal qb. if Ben can elude the pass rush he makes some great plays in the passing game. I think we have a good shot to run the tables if we can stay healthy.

Again back to the criminal known as Ray once we lay the smack down on him and the ratbirds in the last game of the season in Baltimore like he is calling for they will have a losing season. As far as I can see the browns will give the ratbirds all they want as well. I would love to see us get 100 yards on the ground against the ratbirds that might shut him up. Or he would just make more lame excuses like always it is never his fault. See ray on defense there is something about stopping the run and The Pass. Last time I looked Big ben had td passes on your great defense.

Galax Steeler
11-07-2007, 04:13 AM
Let gay ray cry all he wants to he knows who the best team was monday night and he nows who won the game so let him make excuses all he wants.

83-Steelers-43
11-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Classy group Billick has there......

Reeling Ravens left bitter
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Win or lose, it is never dull inside the Baltimore Ravens' locker room.

That was especially true Monday night, in the wake of the team's worst defeat under ninth-year coach Brian Billick.

In the far corner, defensive linemen laughed as they swapped Willie Parker anecdotes. They weren't real impressed with Fast Willie, who was held to 42 yards on 23 carries in a 38-7 victory.

Defensive end Trevor Pryce finally turned toward the showers and said, to no one in particular, "Willie (expletive) Parker. What a fraud."

Some players could not bring themselves to credit the Steelers, who'd held them to five first downs and 104 total yards.

And how about Ben Roethlisberger throwing five touchdown passes in the first half and finishing with a perfect passer rating of 158.3?

"When you give somebody that many opportunities, anybody can make a play," linebacker Ray Lewis said, referring to his team's four first-half turnovers. "Now, come see us in Baltimore."

The rematch is Dec. 30 in the regular-season finale. Question is, will it mean anything to a Ravens team that looks older than Walter Cronkite and has dropped to 4-4, including 0-3 in the AFC North?

Somebody asked left tackle Jonathan Ogden -- he has to be older than Cronkite -- if the Steelers did anything different with linebacker James Harrison, who went Lawrence Taylor-crazy with nine tackles, 3 1/2 sacks, six quarterback hurries, three forced fumbles, one recovered fumble, an interception and a partridge in a pear tree (or least Ed Reed on a platter).

Ogden made a face so bitter you'd have thought he swallowed a case of lemons. "No," he said, before cutting off further inquiries.

Pryce called Roethlisberger's precision passes "luck" and said, "Whatever their game plan was, it didn't work."

You know it's not your night, Pryce said, "when a little 5-9 linebacker (Harrison actually is listed at 6 feet) gets four sacks. That will never happen again in his life. He knows that."

Harrison didn't seem overly pleased when that quote was relayed to him.

"Who is Trevor Pryce?" he said.

Reporter: "A defensive end for the Ravens."

Harrison: "He's entitled to his opinion. ... What did he do?"

Well, besides ring up zero tackles, Pryce failed to wrap up Roethlisberger on one of those lucky touchdown passes.

The only Ravens players who sounded semi-rational were linebacker Bart Scott and quarterback Steve McNair.

"They had a great game plan, went after our young guys," said Scott, referring to backup cornerbacks who were forced to start. "Ben was seeing the initial rush, getting out of the pocket and making plays. All the credit goes to them. They were the better team today."

That said, Scott was livid with Hines Ward, who laid out Scott and Reed with mammoth hits.

"He was being who he is, taking his shots," Scott said. "Next time it happens, I'll find him and make sure I take the most violent shot I can take. We'll see them again, and I'll play violent. I'll play all the way to the edges of the rules."

Watching these Ravens, you have to wonder if they'll return next season in anything resembling their current form. Billick, Lewis, Ogden, McNair. It's beginning to feel as if time is running out on this group.

Baltimore hasn't won a playoff game since 2001, for goodness sakes, a year before the AFC North was formed.

"The season's not over, but we are a team in crisis right now," Scott admitted. "There's no denying that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_536614.html

stillers4me
11-07-2007, 05:54 AM
You know it's not your night, Pryce said, "when a little 5-9 linebacker (Harrison actually is listed at 6 feet) gets four sacks. That will never happen again in his life. He knows that."

Classic.

Like when Carson Palmer glared at Anthony Smith for daring to bump into him. I guess The Ravens are better than all the teams beating them, too.

83-Steelers-43
11-07-2007, 06:11 AM
"Whatever their game plan was, it didn't work."

Huh? :huh:

What exactly is Trevor Pryce smoking these days?

Steelers - 38

Ravens - 7

Kaeg
11-07-2007, 06:44 AM
It was anybody's AFC North before Monday, (Well, anybody's but Cincy's) but I'd have to say we are the dominant ones now. After next week's win over the Browns?: Can you say "strangle hold"? Week 17 ought to be a good physical one.

Rhee Rhee
11-08-2007, 01:58 AM
ratbirds just can't accept the fact they lost... wait wait they didnt even lose they got blown out and embarrased and humiliated and F*C*ED up no national TV

Rhee Rhee
11-08-2007, 01:58 AM
ratbirds just can't accept the fact they lost... wait wait they didnt even lose they got blown out and embarrased and humiliated and FiretruCKED up on national TV

Galax Steeler
11-08-2007, 04:04 AM

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

That was especially true Monday night, in the wake of the team's worst defeat under ninth-year coach Brian Billick.

In the far corner, defensive linemen laughed as they swapped Willie Parker anecdotes. They weren't real impressed with Fast Willie, who was held to 42 yards on 23 carries in a 38-7 victory.

Defensive end Trevor Pryce finally turned toward the showers and said, to no one in particular, "Willie (expletive) Parker. What a fraud."

Some players could not bring themselves to credit the Steelers, who'd held them to five first downs and 104 total yards.

And how about Ben Roethlisberger throwing five touchdown passes in the first half and finishing with a perfect passer rating of 158.3?

"When you give somebody that many opportunities, anybody can make a play," linebacker Ray Lewis said, referring to his team's four first-half turnovers. "Now, come see us in Baltimore."

The rematch is Dec. 30 in the regular-season finale. Question is, will it mean anything to a Ravens team that looks older than Walter Cronkite and has dropped to 4-4, including 0-3 in the AFC North?

Somebody asked left tackle Jonathan Ogden -- he has to be older than Cronkite -- if the Steelers did anything different with linebacker James Harrison, who went Lawrence Taylor-crazy with nine tackles, 3 1/2 sacks, six quarterback hurries, three forced fumbles, one recovered fumble, an interception and a partridge in a pear tree (or least Ed Reed on a platter).

Ogden made a face so bitter you'd have thought he swallowed a case of lemons. "No," he said, before cutting off further inquiries.

Pryce called Roethlisberger's precision passes "luck" and said, "Whatever their game plan was, it didn't work."

Well, besides ring up zero tackles, Pryce failed to wrap up Roethlisberger on one of those lucky touchdown passes.

The only Ravens players who sounded semi-rational were linebacker Bart Scott and quarterback Steve McNair.

"They had a great game plan, went after our young guys," said Scott, referring to backup cornerbacks who were forced to start. "Ben was seeing the initial rush, getting out of the pocket and making plays. All the credit goes to them. They were the better team today."

That said, Scott was livid with Hines Ward, who laid out Scott and Reed with mammoth hits.

"He was being who he is, taking his shots," Scott said. "Next time it happens, I'll find him and make sure I take the most violent shot I can take. We'll see them again, and I'll play violent. I'll play all the way to the edges of the rules."

Watching these Ravens, you have to wonder if they'll return next season in anything resembling their current form. Billick, Lewis, Ogden, McNair. It's beginning to feel as if time is running out on this group.

Baltimore hasn't won a playoff game since 2001, for goodness sakes, a year before the AFC North was formed.

"The season's not over, but we are a team in crisis right now," Scott admitted. "There's no denying that."

This whole column has me scratching my head.:blah::blah:

klick81
11-08-2007, 10:20 AM

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

That was classic! :tt02:

shovelnose
11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Yep the steelers got lucky in that game:sofunny: no game plan or anything except to win which I thought was the idea. On to the next game.

STEEL-MAN
11-08-2007, 02:08 PM
The Ravens are thugs, were before and prove by this statement they still are. What a roll model for Baltimore City, the city with 5 murders a week! Sad!

FEUDING: Scott admitted threatening Ward with bodily harm after being slammed to the ground by a receiver he outweighs by nearly 50 pounds, reinforcing Ward’s postgame claims.

“He tackled me and said he was going to kill me,” Ward told Pittsburgh reporters. “But as long as you don’t shoot me, I’ll be fine. I don’t think there’s any place in the game for that type of stuff. I always thought he was a great player, but I guess he doesn’t like me.”

Scott threatened Ward again during his weekly radio show, vowing to “knock his head off his shoulders,” adding that he would gladly pay a hefty fine to get revenge on the feisty wideout and extended his threat to Ward’s teammates, too.

“It’s not an idle threat,” Scott said. “It’s a promise. I’m coming after Hines. I will never pass up a hit on him or anybody else who plays for the Steelers. It’s on.”

One day later, Scott remained on the warpath.

“Damn right, I threatened him,” Scott said. “If I see him again, I’ll threaten him again.”

Added Suggs: “Hines Ward, he’s a competitor. We don’t like him, but we respect him. Anybody that’s not wearing purple and black, Bart’s got a problem with them. That’s why I love Bart. I’m going to let him be the ‘Mad Backer’ and I’m going to be right behind him.”

fansince'76
11-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Scott threatened Ward again during his weekly radio show, vowing to ?knock his head off his shoulders,? adding that he would gladly pay a hefty fine to get revenge on the feisty wideout and extended his threat to Ward?s teammates, too.

Watch your knees, assclown. Two can play that game.

delhess
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
baltimore sucks. hows that for a headline?? true champions don't shift the blame, ray lewis does. i see a pattern here.

GeneralRobinson
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Scott threatened Ward again during his weekly radio show, vowing to ?knock his head off his shoulders,? adding that he would gladly pay a hefty fine to get revenge on the feisty wideout and extended his threat to Ward?s teammates, too.

So let me play devil's advocate here. James Farrior made some comments this week about Kellen Winslow saying "he better have his head on a swivel". I did not see the game against Cleveland where Winslow threw a late block against James, but I understand this is the reason why James made his comments. Personally, I wish players would do less talking of this type and let their play speak for itself. However, how do you reconcile Scott's comments with what James said, and if you were a Cleveland fan, wouldn't you have a problem with Farrior's comments? Just throwing those points out there. Don't hate.:peace:

jjpro11
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
So let me play devil's advocate here. James Farrior made some comments this week about Kellen Winslow saying "he better have his head on a swivel". I did not see the game against Cleveland where Winslow threw a late block against James, but I understand this is the reason why James made his comments. Personally, I wish players would do less talking of this type and let their play speak for itself. However, how do you reconcile Scott's comments with what James said, and if you were a Cleveland fan, wouldn't you have a problem with Farrior's comments? Just throwing those points out there. Don't hate.:peace:

here ya go.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/nfl/2006/12/07/karma-comes-in-the-form-of-james-farrior/

augustashark
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
- Ray Lewis

Ok Ray.

Oh yea, if my uncle did'nt have balls he'd be my aunt! :dang:

jjpro11
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
The Ravens are thugs, were before and prove by this statement they still are. What a roll model for Baltimore City, the city with 5 murders a week! Sad!

FEUDING: Scott admitted threatening Ward with bodily harm after being slammed to the ground by a receiver he outweighs by nearly 50 pounds, reinforcing Ward?s postgame claims.

?He tackled me and said he was going to kill me,? Ward told Pittsburgh reporters. ?But as long as you don?t shoot me, I?ll be fine. I don?t think there?s any place in the game for that type of stuff. I always thought he was a great player, but I guess he doesn?t like me.?

?It?s not an idle threat,? Scott said. ?It?s a promise. I?m coming after Hines. I will never pass up a hit on him or anybody else who plays for the Steelers. It?s on.?

One day later, Scott remained on the warpath.

?Damn right, I threatened him,? Scott said. ?If I see him again, I?ll threaten him again.?

Added Suggs: ?Hines Ward, he?s a competitor. We don?t like him, but we respect him. Anybody that?s not wearing purple and black, Bart?s got a problem with them. That?s why I love Bart. I?m going to let him be the ?Mad Backer? and I?m going to be right behind him.?

the ravens are such friggin wackos. they have really been hanging around rayknife too much.

STEEL-MAN
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Ravens are a team out of touch. Bart Scott supposedly is one of the more respected players for them...what joke! They're in so much denial of how badly they got beat Monday Night, they think denial is a river in Egypt :thumbsup: I love it!

fansince'76
11-08-2007, 02:35 PM

I don't think Farrior made the statement that he would take cheap shots (in so many words):

Threatening to hit someone hard and threatening to take cheap shots and even "kill" somebody? Two entirely different things.

GeneralRobinson
11-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I agree that Scott is taking this whole Hines Ward block to an extreme level, to put it mildly. I just hope Farrior does not go looking for Winslow and in the process take himself out of a play or draw a penalty. I would expect the referees to be watching that situation closely.

KYSteelersfan
11-08-2007, 02:43 PM
I agree that Scott is taking this whole Hines Ward block to an extreme level, to put it mildly. I just hope Farrior does not go looking for Winslow and in the process take himself out of a play or draw a penalty. I would expect the referees to be watching that situation closely.

The refs will be too busy picking up the ball from Derek Anderson after he gets sacked. :flap:

Lord Stiller
11-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Farrior is not the type of player to take a cheap shot

But Farrior defends the middle of the field and will see a lot of Winslow.

alittlejazzbird
11-08-2007, 03:00 PM

What an absolute idiot, to say such a thing in a radio show. You may rest assured that the NFL will inform Mr. Scott prior to the start of the Steelers/Ravens game on December 31, that they are aware of the public threats he has made against various Steelers and that they will be watching him closely at all times, subjecting him to serious punishment if he aims to deliberately injure a player.

Do I recall correctly that this happened in another Steelers game awhile back? Seems like someone on another team made similar threats of violence and they were publicly warned by the NFL.

SteelerFanInCA
11-08-2007, 03:22 PM
That's funny how they are baggin on Willie. Big Ben was lighting up their secondary so we probably didn't miss WP's yardage. They might have stopped WP but what the hell was up with the aerial assault that was unleashed on them?

If Pryce learned how to tackle it could have been one less TD for us maybe? Price is the one who played like he was 5'9. What a bunch of classless *******s.

GeneralRobinson
11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Classic Hines Ward commentary from SteelCityInsider.com and Jim Wexell:

More Hines: I told Hines about Bart Scott's threats on his radio show in Baltimore, that he'll get even with Ward if it takes him 15 years. Hines laughed.

"Tell him to join the club," Ward said.

I asked Ward if he ever lost sleep over the long list of players who want revenge on him for his blocking.

"No way," he said firmly. "They all say it, but nothing ever comes of it. All I know is that Santonio (Holmes)is doing it now, Cedrick (Wilson) blew someone up on a punt return, and Nate (Washington) is looking to do it. Are these guys going to take out our whole team? No. They're worried about us during the game, not looking to kill us. They've all got their heads on a swivel and that means we've achieved our goal. I just love to see big, bad defensive players worrying about little old receivers."

Did Scott threaten you with a gun? I thought that's what you said the other night.

"No, I said I asked him if he was going to use a gun and he said no, but that he was still going to kill me."

He said you cheap-shotted him since the runner was going out of bounds and he was easing up.

"That's a lie. What defensive player assumes Willie Parker is going out of bounds? No, he was still going full speed and I popped him good. He got up and started yelling, 'I'll kill you! I'll kill you!' I love playing against Bart Scott. He's so funny. He reminds me of Joey."

http://pit.scout.com/2/699466.html

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
i'd just LOVE to see hines jack Scott up AGAIN the next time they play....:toofunny:

filthyfan
11-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Ray needs to man up on this and, i guess that will never happen. To me all that matters is make the playoffs and, then we will see what happens. You know who gave us half of a chance in out 2005 super bowl run? Not many people and, really think we can do this. It all comes down to our defense getting prussure on the other teams qb and, then on Ben making good decisions. Look at brady & manning when they get pressure they look like a very normal qb. if Ben can elude the pass rush he makes some great plays in the passing game. I think we have a good shot to run the tables if we can stay healthy.

Again back to the criminal known as Ray once we lay the smack down on him and the ratbirds in the last game of the season in Baltimore like he is calling for they will have a losing season. As far as I can see the browns will give the ratbirds all they want as well. I would love to see us get 100 yards on the ground against the ratbirds that might shut him up. Or he would just make more lame excuses like always it is never his fault. See ray on defense there is something about stopping the run and The Pass. Last time I looked Big ben had td passes on your great defense.

....Agree Striker....Big Ben is a very good QB.....What has kept him from going to the next level is his decision making under pressure...he wants to make a play sooooo badly that he will frequently force the ball into a dangerous situation instead of throwing it away or tucking and running. Not sure if you noticed Monday night...3rd and 2...he dropped back...saw no one open...began to run....clearly had the first down in hand...but chose instead to force the throw....went incomplete. I'm hoping its just a matter of maturity that comes with time....
As far as the rushing of WP Monday...field was horrible..no ability to cut...WP LIVES ON THE ABILITY TO MAKE THE QUICK CUT....it was not surprising he had a down night in those conditions...in fact Naj would have been the better back to try to exploit in that weather....like Bettis in the Bears game 05' in the heavy wet snow.
My son and I are making our way to the STEEL CITY from Maine to catch their beat down on the brownies this Sunday:jammin:...we are sooooo pumped!!