PDA

View Full Version : THE Ohio State Buckeyes

revefsreleets
11-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Wetzel is an SEC schill, and usually bags on the Big Ten and Bucks bad, but he got this one right:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AqereqZ8n08lhvO1rFZKGkg5nYcB?slug=dw-ohiostate110607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – As they drank away the hours to kickoff Saturday at the Legacy Bar just off campus here, fans of Alabama and Louisiana State couldn't agree on much.
There was the argument over whose coach sucked more, whether putting purple in houndstooth was sacrilegious and even which fans smelled more like corndogs (insider SEC joke). Considering the tales of fist fights all over town the night before, these arguments were not for the faint of heart.

It wasn't until a television showed Wisconsin taking a 17-10 lead on Ohio State that everyone – at least everyone who didn't have money on the game – found some common ground.
"Ohio State is a joke," one guy said. "Let 'em play a real schedule."
Meet your Ohio State Buckeyes, the top-ranked and perhaps most-doubted team in America (now that BC is finished).
Ten weeks and 10 victories into the season – not a single one remotely in doubt (they'd rally to hammer Wisconsin 38-17) – and the Buckeyes are so questioned they can even bring the Tigers and the Tide together.

No one seems capable of getting over Ohio State's title game performance against Florida last year or the weakness of its league this year.
So all OSU does is win, and all the rest of America does is doubt. All Jim Tressel's team does is show up on Saturday focused, prepared and fully motivated, and all everyone does is complain about the competition.
Not just here in the South, but out West where Oregon frets about being left out again, and on the Plains where three top six teams prepare for a battle royal that may mean nothing.
The Buckeyes, to so many, are just a product of a breeze of a schedule, which is essentially true, yet misses the point.

There is little question Ohio State is set to waltz into its second consecutive BCS title game via the easiest road imaginable. The Buckeyes haven't beaten a top-line team thus far and the only quality opponent remaining is Michigan, which lost at home to both a I-AA team and No. 3 Oregon, by 32 points.
Not even the Big Ten's angry, letter-writing commissioner can dream up a defense.

None of which addresses some simple points. First, the Buckeyes just might be really good – as in championship good – anyway. Second, how is it their fault? What exactly do you want Tressel and his head-strong, ultra-consistent, take-care-of-business team to do?
Ohio State may be the beneficiaries of a bottomed-out Big Ten, but it wasn't the Buckeyes who bottomed it out. If rival fans in rival conferences want to place blame on Ohio State skating to New Orleans, then blame Joe Paterno or Lloyd Carr or Joe Tiller.
Or blame your own commissioners for signing off on a championship system that rewards weak schedules and punishes difficult ones. Blame the apologists who sell the idea that the entire season is a playoff, even if not everyone has to face playoff caliber competition.
But don't blame Ohio State. They line 'em up and beat 'em, a remarkable 28 consecutive regular season games and 20 in a row in conference, a Big Ten record.
It wasn't Ohio State which fell to some middle of the road league opponent the way LSU, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Oregon did.
Tressel's teams just don't lose games they are supposed to win. Each week the Buckeyes live the coaching mantra of taking it one game at a time. Which is how they entered this season with lots of questions but turned it into the inside track on the title game again anyway.
Now, would any of the above mentioned teams also roll through the Buckeyes slate unblemished? Probably. Would Ohio State be exposed in a superior league, where the grind of multiple real challenges is the greatest hurdle? Maybe.

But there's nothing Ohio State can do about any of that. They play in a league that used to be good, should be good again someday, but is lousy right now. The league's signature non-conference victory is probably the Buckeyes over 3-6 Washington. Yeah, it's that bad.
Yes, Ohio State's non-conference slate was an abomination. As one fan pointed out on a message board, the helmets of its first four opponents spelled Y-A-W-N (Youngstown, Akron, Washington and Northwestern). And they played Kent State, too.

That said, Ohio State completed a home and home with Texas last year and is about to start one with Southern California. It kind of got caught in the middle this year.
And since neither the BCS formula nor the voters seem to care, why should Ohio State? It's just beating the system the way it beats up on its league, with shocking, mocking ease.
Still, all over America, fans are bristling, angry and united. By far the weakest of the BCS leagues is about to deliver the Buckeyes back to the title game, virtually untested.
You can understand the frustration. But they can also underestimate Ohio State at their own risk.
Because after all the unity and hi-fives at the Legacy Bar about how justice would be an Ohio State loss, the Buckeyes unleashed 28 unanswered points to overwhelm Wisconsin. It was a show of force &ndahs; a potent offense to go with a physical defense – if anyone was still paying attention.
Yes, the Big Ten and the BCS might stink, but that doesn't necessarily mean Ohio State does, too.

Steeler in Carolina
11-06-2007, 04:51 PM
OK. I have probably been one of the biggest basher of Ohio State on this board, but let me say this. Ohio State is undefeated. Bottom Line. They have beat everybody on their schedule. They have played a good Wisconsin team, a pretty decent Michigan State team and still have a good Illinois team and a good Michigan team to go. If they finish unbeaten, the belong in the title game no questions asked. Everyone was down on Michigan over losing to a 1-aa team. However, USC's lose to Stanford is worse than that.

You can't fault Ohio State for playing their schedule and beating everybody. If LSU is so great, they should have beaten Kentucky. If Oregon is so great, they should have beaten Cal. I could go on and on. Ohio State deserves to be no.1.

revefsreleets
11-06-2007, 08:16 PM
But I'm glad BC lost. I want my Bucks to win out and play a perennial power from a perennial power conference. The team and it's fans all have a chip on their shoulder (if you haven't noticed) and we want to beat the best of the best to prove everyone else wrong.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
01/08/07 is all the motivation the Ohio State Buckeyes need.

Personally, I want LSU. It'll be a home game for them, being played in New Orleans. The Superdome will have a very nice Scarlet hue in those stands. The OH-IO chant will be heard loud and clear. And LSU will get a beatdown.

The Buckeyes have done what nobody else has been able to do, beat the teams they were supposed to beat.

LSU lost to Kentucky.
Florida lost to Auburn.
Boston College lost to Florida State.
USF lost to Rutgers.
USC lost to Stanford
Cal lost to Oregon State.

revefsreleets
11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm leaning that way, too, but LSU has to win out. Oregon is the best 1 loss team in the country right now, so they'd be next. OK works too.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
OK. I have probably been one of the biggest basher of Ohio State on this board, but let me say this. Ohio State is undefeated. Bottom Line. They have beat everybody on their schedule. They have played a good Wisconsin team, a pretty decent Michigan State team and still have a good Illinois team and a good Michigan team to go. If they finish unbeaten, the belong in the title game no questions asked. Everyone was down on Michigan over losing to a 1-aa team. However, USC's lose to Stanford is worse than that.

You can't fault Ohio State for playing their schedule and beating everybody. If LSU is so great, they should have beaten Kentucky. If Oregon is so great, they should have beaten Cal. I could go on and on. Ohio State deserves to be no.1.

I'm not sure how well you follow USC but the injury report going into the Stanford game could double as a NFL Draft sheet. Playing the third string offensive line was not even the bad news at SC for that week. And then Booty breaks his hand in the first half but refused to acknowledge the ailment to Carroll.

Michigan was at full strength. Michigan played Oregon at home - not in Eugene.

Guess what? USC vs. Michigan in the Rose Bowl is still viable. Go figure. Because I'd like to settle this debate on the football field. Something the Wolverines have failed to do against USC since I was born.

revefsreleets
11-07-2007, 10:33 AM
If Michigan beats Wisconsin, they are going to the Rose Bowl either way. If they beat OSU, they still won't have the juice to do any better even as Big Ten champs, and if they lose, they'll still be the Big Ten's option to go to the Rose Bowl since OSU will be playing for the NC game.

Steeler in Carolina
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I just think everyone is quick to bash Ohio State(me included earlier in the year), but they are winning their games. If they win their last two, they can set back and wait for their opponent.

GoFins11
11-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Still too early to judge OSU. They have played some inferior teams aka kent state, Minn., Mich State, Wasshinton, and Northwestern but some of them might turn bowl eligible. It will be interesting to see if they will be able to finish off Illinois and Michigan.

We can only wait and see.

ohiosteelerfan20
11-09-2007, 06:41 AM
The teams that OSU have played this year are laughable. They are a top 5 football school every year. So teams like Akron, Youngstown, and Kent St. should never be on the schedule. Maybe one, but three. My favorite excuse I hear about this is," well, they make up the schedule years in advance. But were these teams good 5 years ago. How bout 10. How bout ever. Same with Washington. They were good in the early 90s. So when you have a year when the Big 10 is week like this year, those kids wont play someone on there level until the BCS bowl game. Think about this, of the teams OSU have played this year, how many players were on those teams that they tried to recruit and didnt get. I bet you could count them on one hand. So if your playing teams with players that were not good enough to make your team should'nt you be undefeated. Yes, I think so. But it also makes you untested.

revefsreleets
11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
For the 30th time, this is one down year, and not everybody wants to play OSU! We play USC next year, so is THAT soft scheduling? And why is it OSU's fault that the Big Ten is a little down. And IS the Big Ten down? So far there are 7 teams bowl eligible and Iowa, MSU and Northwestern are all capable of becoming eligible before seasons end. If the Big ten wins 6 or 7 bowls games, that's a good year.

Anyway, Michigan in Michigan and PSU in Happy Valley are games that few teams in the Country would want to play. If they win those games, they are for real. And if they do win out and win the NC, there is no room for anyone to doubt them. In a year when teams are being upset so often that it's almost tough to still call them upsets, if a top team stays unbeaten, they deserve all the credit in the World.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree Rev. Ever since OSU beat PSU, I have been hearing how "Penn State isn't as good as we thought." Maybe the Buckeyes are just way better that everyone thought. Just because Ohio State has made virtually every one of their opponents look bad does not mean that they are bad teams.

GoFins11
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree Rev. Ever since OSU beat PSU, I have been hearing how "Penn State isn't as good as we thought." Maybe the Buckeyes are just way better that everyone thought. Just because Ohio State has made virtually every one of their opponents look bad does not mean that they are bad teams.

Five of those teams that aren't bad can be called creampuffs.

Minnsota
YSU
Akron
Washington
Kent St.

not to mention a Michgan state that has gone 1-5 in the Big Ten.

Let's not jump on the "we aren't playing bad teams" bandwagon quite yet.
Every team plays a few creampuffs but OSU's schedule can be argued as suspect.

Personally I think OSU will lose either to Illinois or Michigan BUT if they win out They deserve to be in the NC GAME

ohiosteelerfan20
11-09-2007, 04:41 PM
For the 30th time, this is one down year, and not everybody wants to play OSU! We play USC next year, so is THAT soft scheduling? And why is it OSU's fault that the Big Ten is a little down. And IS the Big Ten down? So far there are 7 teams bowl eligible and Iowa, MSU and Northwestern are all capable of becoming eligible before seasons end. If the Big ten wins 6 or 7 bowls games, that's a good year.

Anyway, Michigan in Michigan and PSU in Happy Valley are games that few teams in the Country would want to play. If they win those games, they are for real. And if they do win out and win the NC, there is no room for anyone to doubt them. In a year when teams are being upset so often that it's almost tough to still call them upsets, if a top team stays unbeaten, they deserve all the credit in the World.

That is great that they are playing USC next year. But why did they schedule Youngtown St., Akron, and Kent St. this year. There is no excuse for it. Those teams are for Ohio U to play. Not Ohio State U. I am almost certain that they will crush Ill. and Mich. and will play in the NC game. But then they will have to play a team that will be much better and faster, (Oregon) or (LSU), than any team they have played this year. Kind of like last year. And how did that work out.:buttkick:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-09-2007, 05:07 PM
That is great that they are playing USC next year. But why did they schedule Youngtown St., Akron, and Kent St. this year. There is no excuse for it. Those teams are for Ohio U to play. Not Ohio State U. I am almost certain that they will crush Ill. and Mich. and will play in the NC game. But then they will have to play a team that will be much better and faster, (Oregon) or (LSU), than any team they have played this year. Kind of like last year. And how did that work out.:buttkick:

They scheduled those teams to keep the t.v. revinues in Ohio. Tressels way of throwing the smaller colleges a bone.

fastparker39
11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm from Ohio. Ohio State has played some good teams and deserve to be rank number 1 in my opinion.

Steeler in Carolina
11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I can't believe I am defending Ohio St, but here it goes. According to the official NCAA website, Ohio St's schedule is ranked 32nd toughest. LSU is 33rd. No difference.

Also, look at LSU's schedule. They played Middle Tennessee, Tulane, and La. Tech. Not exactly top tier teams either.

GoFins11
11-10-2007, 01:23 AM
I can't believe I am defending Ohio St, but here it goes. According to the official NCAA website, Ohio St's schedule is ranked 32nd toughest. LSU is 33rd. No difference.

Also, look at LSU's schedule. They played Middle Tennessee, Tulane, and La. Tech. Not exactly top tier teams either.

still think LSU has a harder schedule out of the games already played.

Good game so far at OSU.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2007, 06:32 PM
DOWN GO THE BUCKEYES

revefsreleets
11-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Eh, there ya go. Parity. It will be a fine season for OSU when they beat Michigan and win their BCS game. They are a young team returning most of their talent next year and they made a great run. QB play needs to improve to make the next step. Losing late sucks, but Illinois was the classic trap game and a lot of Bucks fans knew it from the beginning of the season.

Not to make excuses, but I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if the refs would have caught the fumble into the endzone that would have given the Bucks the ball on the 20 and a 7 point lead instead of a tie at 7? Tress has to take some of the blame for not challenging that play.

I definitely don't want to be an ungracious loser. Props to Illinois for executing a great gameplan and playing a near perfect game. That's what it takes to beat #1 and they did it. Congrats, Illini.

ohiosteelerfan20
11-10-2007, 07:20 PM
EXPOSED!

revefsreleets
11-10-2007, 07:33 PM
EXPOSED!

Yup. They are exposed as all the other one loss teams that lost to teams they shouldn't have lost to. At the end of this season, the only team that won't have a loss will be Hawaii. And they would lose by 4 TD's to any team in the top 10.

ohiosteelerfan20
11-10-2007, 07:42 PM
After watching that game, seeing how poorly the Buckeyes defended the 'Spread' offence, its hard to imagine how they would stop Oregon. OSU is good team on both sides of the ball. But they are not great, and I am sure they would get crushed by Oregon, LSU, or Ok.

revefsreleets
11-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I hope we'll get a chance to see. This was classic trap and they overlooked Illinois. Learning that Michigan lost didn't help.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Eh, there ya go. Parity. It will be a fine season for OSU when they beat Michigan and win their BCS game. They are a young team returning most of their talent next year and they made a great run. QB play needs to improve to make the next step. Losing late sucks, but Illinois was the classic trap game and a lot of Bucks fans knew it from the beginning of the season.

Not to make excuses, but I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if the refs would have caught the fumble into the endzone that would have given the Bucks the ball on the 20 and a 7 point lead instead of a tie at 7? Tress has to take some of the blame for not challenging that play.

I definitely don't want to be an ungracious loser. Props to Illinois for executing a great gameplan and playing a near perfect game. That's what it takes to beat #1 and they did it. Congrats, Illini.

A well said speech by an Ohio State Fan. One of the few I can respect.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-11-2007, 12:37 AM
This pisses me off, I was looking forward to going to the NC Game and winning.

I hope we beat TSUN (That School Up North for those not in the know), so we cana t least get a share of the Big 10 Title and get the auto bid to a BCS Bowl (hopefully the Rose Bowl).

It's been a helluva run, and I think this loss will bring juniors like Laurinitaus, Jenkins, and Gholston back for their Senior seasons.

Now it's time for Michigan week.

WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN FOR THE WHOLE STATE OF MICHIGAN!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-11-2007, 09:11 AM

I hope we beat TSUN (That School Up North for those not in the know), so we cana t least get a share of the Big 10 Title and get the auto bid to a BCS Bowl (hopefully the Rose Bowl).

Actually if we beat scUM we should be the out right Big Ten champs.

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 09:16 AM

It's the little victories you should focus on now.

After all, the only thing Big Ten teams care about is the Rose Bowl right?

Right?

MasterOfPuppets
11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
:tt02: HOW BOUT THEM TERPS !!!! oops....:offtopic:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Actually, I think you are right. The winner of TSUN-tOSU will be outright because everyone else will have at least 2 Big 10 losses.

Hines0wnz
11-11-2007, 04:47 PM

And Cal has lost 4 in a row now.

Hines0wnz
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Yup. They are exposed as all the other one loss teams that lost to teams they shouldn't have lost to. At the end of this season, the only team that won't have a loss will be Hawaii. And they would lose by 4 TD's to any team in the top 10.

OU was only favored by 7 against Boise St in the Tostitos Bowl.

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Actually, I think you are right. The winner of TSUN-tOSU will be outright because everyone else will have at least 2 Big 10 losses.

That's like being the best dressed at a nude beach isn't it?

Hines0wnz
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
EXPOSED!

I only partially believe that. While their schedule is questionable at best, this college football season has been about parity.

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
I hate to be the one to point this out, but the Big Ten is just not that bad compared to the other conferences. They have 10 of 11 teams already bowl eligible. If you look at overall records, the Big Ten and the SEC's collective overall records look almost exactly the same. It's only fair to wait until the season is over and all the bowls have been played before we go throwing the whole conference under the bus.

And all is not lost for the Buckeyes. There are 5 teams ranked higher than them in the BCS right now, and they need to ignore all that and focus on beating Michigan, BUT:

LSU still has to play the SEC Championship game (Miss and Arkansas should be no trouble)

Oregon still has 3 games left (granted, it's UCLA, Arizona and Oregon St., but anything couyld happen)

Kansas will probably lose to Missouri. And OU, Kansas and Missouri are all subject to the Big 12 CG. If any of these teams lose a game (or another game) it will knock them out of contention.

WVU still has to play UConn and Cincinnati (Pitt is a rivalry, too, but let's face it, the Panthers are not going to beat the Mountaineers).

Is it improbable? Hell ya, but not impossible. Still, I hate to back in and they should have beaten Illinois.

CB1977
11-12-2007, 08:13 PM
This pisses me off, I was looking forward to going to the NC Game and winning.

It's been a helluva run, and I think this loss will bring juniors like Laurinitaus, Jenkins, and Gholston back for their Senior seasons.

Now it's time for Michigan week.

WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN FOR THE WHOLE STATE OF MICHIGAN!

GOD.....I love the way you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GBMelBlount
11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
GOD.....I love the way you think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes to OSU.

GoFins11
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
so we cana t least get a share of the Big 10 Title and get the auto bid to a BCS Bowl (hopefully the Rose Bowl).

Confused. How would you get a share of the Big Ten? You both have the same conference record with one game to go. Who ever wins the games get the conference.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Confused. How would you get a share of the Big Ten? You both have the same conference record with one game to go. Who ever wins the games get the conference.

I didn't realize that Michigan had lost their game. I worked all day and didn't see that score until Sunday.

GoFins11
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I didn't realize that Michigan had lost their game. I worked all day and didn't see that score until Sunday.

I thought maybe there was some weird Big Ten rule I wasn't aware of or something:flap: