PDA

View Full Version : SI - Patriots won't go undefeated

Borski
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Patriots won't go undefeated
By Andrew Perloff

The perfect season talk surrounding the Patriots will be kicked up a notch after their win over the Colts on Sunday. New England will be favored by more than a touchdown in each of its remaining seven games, so the quest for 16-0 seems reasonable.

I don't think the Pats can do it and I'll argue with any FanNation user who disagrees. Here are my key reasons.

1. The Patriots will sit starters. If they go 15-0, they visit the Giants in Week 17. New York will almost certainly be playing for playoff position, and New England will have nothing at stake. As heartless as Bill Belichick is, he won't risk injuries for a record that is insignificant if they don't win the Super Bowl. Belichick has benched starters in similar situations through the years.

2. They face the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked defenses in the NFL: Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The Colts proved you can get to Tom Brady, and they didn't need to blitz much to do it. The Ravens and Steelers will come up with creative ways to rush the passer and they'll try to rattle Randy Moss with big hits. Brady led Moss into some dangerous territory against Indy. Moss bounced off smallish Indy defenders like they were gnats. Not sure if he'll have the same luck against Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

3. The target on their back is even bigger. On paper, none of these teams should beat the Patriots. But emotionally, you have to give New England's opponents an edge. How long can Belichick convince his team everyone is against him because of Spy-gate? The Pats are now the evil empire. They're the new New York Yankees or Duke Blue Devils.

4. Injuries. They haven't had many. That will change. It always does.

5. Strange things happen in the NFL. Not a great reason, but for my money, it's the most compelling. The Patriots were vying with the Colts for homefield last season and got shut out by the Dolphins in Week 14. Explain that. Other teams that have gone late into the season undefeated have lost games they shouldn't have. New England won't prove to be an exception.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/74604

Counselor
11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with his prediction---someone is going to beat them. But I do not think the Pats will rest their starters in the last game if they are 15-0. Belicheat wants the glory.

BTW, perfect karma would put them at 15-0 and have Brady go down for the playoffs from one of those sacks the Giants seem so good at throwing.

revefsreleets
11-07-2007, 09:51 AM
They'll lose to an awful team. I'm guessing a division rival. If not Buffalo on SNF next week, then watch Miami (especially if they are still winless) pull of that big upset. It's exacttly the kind of game that they look past and lose.

BradyToMoss
11-07-2007, 10:59 AM
They'll lose to an awful team. I'm guessing a division rival. If not Buffalo on SNF next week, then watch Miami (especially if they are still winless) pull of that big upset. It's exacttly the kind of game that they look past and lose.

Not a chance, the only test right now is the Steelers, but the Pats always get up for the big games, just like this past Sunday and when black and gold comes to town, you will get the Patriots undivided attention, which is never good for the opponent.

This team is taking greatness to the next level, they've passed the two biggest tests any team could face, they hammered the best team in the NFC in Dallas in their own backyard and then went in and beat the Colts and those corrupt referres as well as the crowd. There can be no bigger tests than what they've faced with these two things. Pitt will hang around for a half in NE, then the Pats will open it up.

rbryan
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Somehow I doubt the evil mastermind shares your opinion. Patsies will lose a game or two that you think will be a cake walk. I like Buffalo in two weeks for starters. Ravens will have a lot to play for, that will be thier SB the way things are looking right now. Still a long way to go, plenty of time for karma to catch up to the cheaters.

fansince'76
11-07-2007, 12:22 PM
This team is taking greatness to the next level, they've passed the two biggest tests any team could face, they hammered the best team in the NFC in Dallas in their own backyard and then went in and beat the Colts and those corrupt referres as well as the crowd. There can be no bigger tests than what they've faced with these two things.

Except going into Indy and choking their asses off in an AFCCG, right? :yawn:

Atlanta Dan
11-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Not a chance, the only test right now is the Steelers, but the Pats always get up for the big games, just like this past Sunday and when black and gold comes to town, you will get the Patriots undivided attention, which is never good for the opponent.

This team is taking greatness to the next level, they've passed the two biggest tests any team could face, they hammered the best team in the NFC in Dallas in their own backyard and then went in and beat the Colts and those corrupt referres as well as the crowd. There can be no bigger tests than what they've faced with these two things. Pitt will hang around for a half in NE, then the Pats will open it up.

Walk me through how the Pats can take greatness "to the next level" if they cannot lose any less games than the '72 Dolphins did and will not have as many HOF players as the 70s Steelers did?

Winning 2 road games against playoff teams are hardly the "biggest tests any team could face."

MasterOfPuppets
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
nobody ever makes it a full season without some key injuries...it's about time the cheaters get a few of thier own.

tony hipchest
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
there must be a manual that teaches patfans what to say and type on MB's. i swear they are like the Branch Davidians or Hale-Bop riders of the nfl fanbase.

fansince'76
11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
there must be a manual that teaches patfans what to say and type on MB's. i swear they are like the Branch Davidians or Hale-Bop riders of the nfl fanbase.

The RW&B Kool-Aid is spiked. Too bad it isn't with the same stuff Jim Jones spiked his with.

SteelersGirlTN7
11-07-2007, 03:14 PM

It could happen. Remember when we were neck and neck our 15-1 season, and the Pats lost a late in the season game to the Dolphins in the last 4 minutes of the game. Lots of people went to bed early in that game, thinking the Pats had it, only to wake up and find the Fins pulled it off!

revefsreleets
11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking of. Belicheat can't play the disrespect card anymore, and sooner or later the team will start to believe they really are invincible. As soon as that happens they become vulnerable.

ShutDown24
11-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Some other band-wagoner who thinks he knows something about football has found his way here I see... This guy will be gone after the Patriots lose a game if not before... Assuming the mods have checked is IP and it isn't LITP that is... Seeing as he thinks the Cowboys are a big test you already know he isn't very knowledgeable about the NFL.

fansince'76
11-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Some other bandwagoner who thinks he knows something about football... This guy will be gone after the Patriots loose a game... Assuming the mods have checked is IP and it isn't LITP that is...

He's not - this guy's IP traces back to Massachusetts. Hard to tell, though, because they all run the same, tired BS - over and over and over again. :blah:

Rhee Rhee
11-08-2007, 02:24 AM
patriots never sit their starters is he nuts? i remember the year we went 15-1 the last week of that season patriots sat no one and like blew out their opponents what is this guy talkin bout.... but anyway the colts got to them out of a 4-3 and we play a 3-4 so idk if our OLB's can get to brady their gonna havta have an awfully good game but our secondary will make up for it... definitely

BradyToMoss
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Some other band-wagoner who thinks he knows something about football has found his way here I see... This guy will be gone after the Patriots lose a game if not before... Assuming the mods have checked is IP and it isn't LITP that is... Seeing as he thinks the Cowboys are a big test you already know he isn't very knowledgeable about the NFL.

Not at all man, been a Pat's fan since I was 7. I've sat on those cold benches in Foxboro during the 2-14 seasons with Rod Rust. Been with them thru think and thin.
And now things are thick and will continue to be thick as long as the greatest QB in the history of football Tommy Trophy suits up for us.

Question for you guys, when the Pats are picking 5th in the first round of the 08 draft, what should they do ? Hard to believe isn't it, this great team with the #5 pick, man the NFL should just cancel the next 2 seasons and hand the Lombardi over to Bob Kraft and save everyone the trouble.

fansince'76
11-08-2007, 08:11 AM
....they all run the same, tired BS - over and over and over again.

Question for you guys, when the Pats are picking 5th in the first round of the 08 draft, what should they do ? Hard to believe isn't it, this great team with the #5 pick, man the NFL should just cancel the next 2 seasons and hand the Lombardi over to Bob Kraft and save everyone the trouble.

Like I said.... :jerkit:

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Not at all man, been a Pat's fan since I was 7. I've sat on those cold benches in Foxboro during the 2-14 seasons with Rod Rust. Been with them thru think and thin.
And now things are thick and will continue to be thick as long as the greatest QB in the history of football Tommy Trophy suits up for us.

You are absolutely right - since everything has been decided for the next 2 years why don't you quit posting here and go hassle some fans on a Yankees board about whether the Red Sox will repeat in 2008?

Mods - should you consider putting an edit in place where anytime this troll shows up the thread goes to the Blast Furnace?

fansince'76
11-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Mods - should you consider putting an edit in place where anytime this troll shows up the thread goes to the Blast Furnace?

Not at all man, been a Pat's fan since I was 7, and I'm 13 now. And now that they got away with cheating, and things are all rosy again, and as long as the greatest metrosexual QB in the history of football Tommy Trophy suits up for us, I will continue to be an obnoxious pain in the ass to folks who don't lick Brady's balls nonstop and don't drink the RW&B Kool-Aid.

How's that for an edit, Dan?

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2007, 08:35 AM
How's that for an edit, Dan?

:cheers:

:toofunny:

revefsreleets
11-08-2007, 09:42 AM
This brings up an interesting question. Has anyone here ever talked to or met a Patriots fan that actually admitted they were a frontrunning bandwagoner? Statistically speaking, it seems impossible that EVERY single fan has been a fan since the team came into existence.

fansince'76
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
This brings up an interesting question. Has anyone here ever talked to or met a Patriots fan that actually admitted they were a frontrunning bandwagoner? Statistically speaking, it seems impossible that EVERY single fan has been a fan since the team came into existence.

Good point - since this guy is such a "long-time fan," I wonder what his views are on the 1976 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Pats and Raiders?

BradyToMoss
11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Good point - since this guy is such a "long-time fan," I wonder what his views are on the 1976 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Pats and Raiders?

It was robbery, the Sugar Bear Hamilton Late Hit call was one of the worst calls of the history of the NFL and it robbed the Patriots of a superbowl that year.

revefsreleets
11-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Half an hour to Google the game. I'm not convinced.

Regardless, this reminds of the perfect game Lenny Barker pitched for the Indians. It was just another game, and there were probably 15,000 fans at the game (and I'm being generous. In 1981 the Tribe didn't draw at all). But over the years literally hundreds of thousands of Indians fans have made the claim of being at that game.

Jman
11-08-2007, 10:37 AM
I actually agree with a lot of the original post. 15th, 16th game in the season...Injuries happen...especially when you play tough defenses...

I don't see them going undefeated...Sorry Pats fans...I can't see it...

fansince'76
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Regardless, this reminds of the perfect game Lenny Barker pitched for the Indians. It was just another game, and there were probably 15,000 fans at the game (and I'm being generous. In 1981 the Tribe didn't draw at all). But over the years literally hundreds of thousands of Indians fans have made the claim of being at that game.

The "Woodstock phenomenon" - 500,000 or so actually were present, but there are literally MILLIONS of Baby Boomers that claim to have been there.

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
The "Woodstock phenomenon" - 500,000 or so actually were present, but there are literally MILLIONS of Baby Boomers that claim to have been there.i was there !!! :tt02:......oh wait....that was monsters of rock....:hunch:

eric5280
11-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Walk me through how the Pats can take greatness "to the next level" if they cannot lose any less games than the '72 Dolphins did and will not have as many HOF players as the 70s Steelers did?

Winning 2 road games against playoff teams are hardly the "biggest tests any team could face."

Easy.. if (and that's a big if) they were to go undefeated, they would have had to win two more games than the Dolphins. Secondly, they would have done it in the salary cap era and free agency. Thirdly, I think you underestimate those opponents by just calling them "2 road games against playoff opponents". Its more than that. They have hung the only losses on those teams. One of which is the defending superbowl champion widely acknowledged as being better this year than last year. The second is projected by many to be the NFC's representative. Overall, the opponents the Patriots have and will face this year will be far superior to what the 72 Dolphins faced. They may very well have beaten two teams that will end the season with 15-1 or 14-2 records (not to mention a Steelers team we'd project to win 12-13 games). The dominance the 2007 Cowboys, Colts, and Steelers have displayed this year would normally warrant them to be Superbowl favorites and listed among the all time greats. To go undefeated competing against this level of competition would warrant them being called the greatest ever if they were to go 19-0 in my opinion.

stlrtruck
11-08-2007, 05:12 PM

While I can almost appreciate your blue and red colored glasses and how your predictioin for supremacy is understood - it's also absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Eventually the CAP catches up with every so-called great team. And while your team has been breaking records this year they also haven't won the whole thing yet. Your team is nothing but a fascade of what it really is - a bunch of hooligan's who have no respect and no class.

And while it is possible that the patria-cheats go undefeated for the regular season, it is the pompous, arrogant attitude in the New England area that will get them eliminated from the playoffs - second round by the clowns. Then everyone will be upset because they didn't get to see the rematch that CBS is hoping to see.

And now that Beli-cheat can't use "HIS" Films, what will he do moving forward?

And even though you have an early draft next year - what will you do when your franchise can't afford to start keeping these players around? The patriots will once again fall into oblivion!!!

And the world will be right once again!!!

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Easy.. if (and that's a big if) they were to go undefeated, they would have had to win two more games than the Dolphins. Secondly, they would have done it in the salary cap era and free agency. Thirdly, I think you underestimate those opponents by just calling them "2 road games against playoff opponents". Its more than that. They have hung the only losses on those teams. One of which is the defending superbowl champion widely acknowledged as being better this year than last year. The second is projected by many to be the NFC's representative. Overall, the opponents the Patriots have and will face this year will be far superior to what the 72 Dolphins faced. They may very well have beaten two teams that will end the season with 15-1 or 14-2 records (not to mention a Steelers team we'd project to win 12-13 games). The dominance the 2007 Cowboys, Colts, and Steelers have displayed this year would normally warrant them to be Superbowl favorites and listed among the all time greats. To go undefeated competing against this level of competition would warrant them being called the greatest ever if they were to go 19-0 in my opinion.

Eric - You have a fairly skewed view of what constitutes a high level of competition, which I bet is because (no insult intended here) your viewing memories probably go back at best through the mid-80s.

IMO it was tougher in the pre-cap 70s when you had a number of great teams in the league and several good teams in the same division due to talent not being dispersed.

If you look at the NFL America's Game series, 5 of the 10 SB winning teams from the 70s (72 Dolphins, 75 Steelers, 76 Raiders, 77 Cowboys, and 78 Steelers) made the top 10 teams for that show. Those teams won the SB with the same players in other years and, when not winning, were usually the competition for the teams that did win.

In addition, because of the concentration of talent, the 70s Steelers did not have the annual cakewalk through their division that the Pats have. For example, the 75 Steelers went 12-2 (they rested starters in losing game 14 to the Rams) in the AFC Central, while the Bengals went 11-3 and Oilers went 10-4 (Bengals and Oilers went 21-3 in combined games not played against the Steelers that sesson). Steelers then went on to face the Madden/Stabler Raiders and Landry/Staubach Cowboys in the playoffs. Not exactly the same as having 6 regular season games against the Jets, Bills and Dolphins folllowed by an anticipated meeting in the SB with the Wade Philllips/Tony Romo Cowboys, is it now?

New England is a very impresive post-cap team, but the idea that their depth of talent or the depth of competition they have faced is anything approaching the greatest is not supported by any minimal analysis of prior eras. Even being better than the 72 Dolphins would not even get you into the finals of any computer simulations of greatest teams competitions I have seen and would not put the Pats on the same level as the pre-cap 70s Steelers/ 80s 49ers/ or 90s Cowboys..

Preacher
11-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Funny....

I am just tired of all this....

Go ahead, let's just let them win 'em all... and then snuff them out in the AFCCG.

SteelersXLBettis
11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Well put, and don't forget there wasn't half the rules there are now. These guys survived the game where close lines, chopping, and face masking were completely acceptable. Those guys were warriors and didn't get paid half of what they get today.