PDA

View Full Version : Splash plays!!!!

moedap
11-07-2007, 12:34 PM
In Tomlins press conference he said the offense made splash plays and that sometimes people confuse splash plays for good execution. He wasnt happy with the execution on offense and neither was I. I was happy about the outcome of the game but I too think the execution still needs work.

Thats why I like Tomlin.

DACEB
11-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree 100%. At the beginning of the 2nd half Tomlin said he wanted to see which team was more violent. I believe he meant he wanted to see our O-line blow their D-line up for us to run the ball, we did not.

It was mentioned in another thread, and I agree, for us to be elite we must be able to dictate and execute our will at times. We still struggle with that both offensively and defensively.

We will improve, and that's why I like Tomlin as well.

rbryan
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
They call an NFL season a journey for a reason. Thats why I can't help but laugh at all the experts who want to crown the patsies in Nov. Lets see if they are still getting better in week 16. I think the Steelers will be a much better team come playoff time than they are today

fansince'76
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Even in a 31-point victory, Tomlin isn't satisfied - I like it. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I understand where Tomlin is coming from and no matter how good the team played on Monday night, there is always room for improvement. However, the offense executed on the Rats' turnovers, which is what a good offense does. The Rats have been pretty good against the run historically over the past several years, so FWP not rushing well against that rush D wasn't really a shocker. They dared Ben and the offense to beat them through the air and they accepted the dare and were very successful. :thumbsup: All in all, I was very pleased with the offensive performance the Steelers put on and hope that success continues in the coming weeks and down the stretch. We're going to need them all to have their game on every week.

Blitzburgh_Fever
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I understand where Tomlin is coming from and no matter how good the team played on Monday night, there is always room for improvement. However, the offense executed on the Rats' turnovers, which is what a good offense does. The Rats have been pretty good against the run historically over the past several years, so FWP not rushing well against that rush D wasn't really a shocker. They dared Ben and the offense to beat them through the air and they accepted the dare and were very successful. :thumbsup: All in all, I was very pleased with the offensive performance the Steelers put on and hope that success continues in the coming weeks and down the stretch. We're going to need them all to have their game on every week.

I agree completely that our offense was clicking, and that there's not much you can do whenever you've got an opponent stacking the box, but it was kind of annoying, almost embarrassing, the way the O-line would completely fall apart constantly whenever we tried to run anything that wasn't up the middle, and even then they just made enough to get a yard or two. It also showed in the numerous times Roethlisberger has been forced to improvise (and what improvisations!). Our O-line has been getting overpowered week in and week out, It was disconcerting that at no point on any run play last Monday did the line create gaps.

But we can get better! We know how much this team can and has improved. We just need to mimic the Roethlisberger-Miller-Holmes-Ward synergy within the O-line.

I do wonder if he meant the offense made splash plays because the line kept dropping, and that was getting addressed, or if he felt overall the execution was bad. Seems silly to think it's bad overall.

moedap
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Possession #1
Pittsburgh Steelers at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:55) BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 31 (14:55) W.Parker right guard to PIT 32 for 1 yard (R.Lewis).
2nd and 9 at PIT 32 (14:11) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to H.Ward to PIT 47 for 15 yards (B.Scott).
1st and 10 at PIT 47 (13:31) W.Parker left tackle to PIT 46 for -1 yards (T.Suggs).
2nd and 11 at PIT 46 (12:48) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to H.Ward to PIT 45 for -1 yards (C.Ivy).
3rd and 12 at PIT 45 (12:03) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep middle to N.Washington. Coverage by #29 Martin 4-12-PIT 45 (11:57) D.Sepulveda punts 55 yards to end zone, Center-G.Warren, Touchback.

Possession #2
Pittsburgh Steelers at 5:25 BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 15 (5:25) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 18 for 3 yards (B.Scott; D.Edwards).
2nd and 7 at PIT 18 (4:45) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to H.Ward to PIT 23 for 5 yards (C.Ivy).
3rd and 2 at PIT 23 (4:02) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right to N.Washington.
Penalty on PIT-K.Simmons, Offensive Holding, declined.
4th and 2 at PIT 23 (3:57) D.Sepulveda punts 48 yards to BLT 29, Center-G.Warren. Y.Figurs to BLT 35 for 6 yards (J.Harrison, C.Kriewaldt).
Penalty on PIT-A.Harrison, Ineligible Downfield Kick, offsetting, enforced at PIT 23 - No Play.
Penalty on BLT, Personal Foul, offsetting.
(3:45) D.Sepulveda punts 45 yards to BLT 32, Center-G.Warren. E.Reed to BLT 38 for 6 yards (J.Harrison). FUMBLES (J.Harrison), RECOVERED by PIT-L.Timmons at BLT 33. L.Timmons to BLT 28 for 5 yards (D.Darling).
Penalty on BLT-D.Darling, Illegal Block Above the Waist, declined.

Possession #3
Pittsburgh Steelers at 13:13 BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 43 (13:13) W.Parker right tackle to PIT 45 for 2 yards (D.Edwards).
2nd and 8 at PIT 45 (12:30) W.Parker up the middle to PIT 47 for 2 yards (T.Suggs; R.Lewis).
3rd and 6 at PIT 47 (11:45) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 39 for -8 yards (G.Sapp).
4th and 14 at PIT 39 (11:23) D.Sepulveda punts 43 yards to BLT 18, Center-G.Warren, out of bounds.

Possession #4
Pittsburgh Steelers at 1:33, (1st play from scrimmage 1:26) BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 45 (1:26) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 36 for -9 yards (T.Suggs).
Timeout #1 by BLT at 01:19.
2nd and 19 at PIT 36 (1:19) (Shotgun) N.Davenport right end to PIT 39 for 3 yards (J.Johnson).
Timeout #2 by BLT at 01:11.
3rd and 16 at PIT 39 (1:11) (Shotgun) N.Davenport left tackle to BLT 47 for 14 yards (R.Prude, D.Pittman). BLT-E.Reed was injured during the play. BLT-D.Pittman was injured during the play.
Timeout #3 by BLT at 01:00.
4th and 2 at BLT 47 (1:00) (Punt formation) D.Sepulveda punts 19 yards to BLT 28, Center-G.Warren, out of bounds.

Those were the possessions that started in our end of the field in the first half. Not very good execution. 3 of the 5 possessions in which we did score happened after 3rd down.

steelpride12
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I love this dude so much. Can you hear it now from Tomlin: "even though we won the superbowl over the cowboys 50-0 i think we played sloppy and will work until we get it right, o ya good victory though"

memphissteelergirl
11-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I like where we are right now at this point in the season, the team is really starting to gel and buying into Tomlin's system. I also like that Coach T sees where they can improve. You can't ask for more in a coach.

GeneralRobinson
11-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I love this dude so much. Can you hear it now from Tomlin: "even though we won the superbowl over the cowboys 50-0 i think we played sloppy and will work until we get it right, o ya good victory though"

Coach Tomlin is a quote factory. Some good ones from his latest PC:

There's not a lot of time to wear your hands out patting yourselves on the back.

The reality is that you prepare to do the best you can, you lay your head down at night, you get an opportunity to perform, you do it, and it is what it is.

As the kitchen gets hot, the chefs display themselves.

Weather doesn't matter to me unless it's only raining on our team. If it's raining on both teams, it's a variable that doesn't matter.

revefsreleets
11-07-2007, 09:05 PM
The Oline played like crap, particularly the right side. Ben made up for a lot of their crap play all by himself. The Oline has GOT to improve for us to take the next step.

Galax Steeler
11-08-2007, 04:47 AM
I just hope we can get some help on the offensive line in the draft so we can go back to running the ball or passing it.

moedap
11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I just hope we can get some help on the offensive line in the draft so we can go back to running the ball or passing it.

There are 3 OT's listed in the top 25 prospects. Do u think there is any chance of us getting 1?

KYSteelersfan
11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
There are 3 OT's listed in the top 25 prospects. Do u think there is any chance of us getting 1?

Think that would depend on where we are come draft day

revefsreleets
11-08-2007, 09:56 AM
We were talking about this on the way into the game. I suspect the Steelers will draft OG and OT with their first two picks, maybe even deeper. DL is the other need I see, but they may address that with FA.

Steel Pit
11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I agree 100%. At the beginning of the 2nd half Tomlin said he wanted to see which team was more violent. I believe he meant he wanted to see our O-line blow their D-line up for us to run the ball, we did not.

It was mentioned in another thread, and I agree, for us to be elite we must be able to dictate and execute our will at times. We still struggle with that both offensively and defensively.

We will improve, and that's why I like Tomlin as well.

Lets face the truth here. On a good day our offensive line is AVERAGE. I don't see this group of offensive linemen blowing up too many opposing defensive lines.

An average O-Line is good enough if Roethlisberger can continue to escape, what appears to be, sure sacks. They've also blocked well enough to produce excellent numbers for Willie Parker. They are what they are, an average offensive line.

Steel_Bus_24
11-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Man its hard for me to watch the line sometimes when you think about their dominance in 04 and how far its fallen since then. We defiantly need to get some help through the draft this year.

They are going to have to improve if we want to go anywhere in the playoffs

Rhee Rhee
11-09-2007, 01:09 AM
reminds me of bill belicheat... never ever satisfied and puts in his starters late in the game when the the game is in hand... I LOVE IT