PDA

View Full Version : Do Steelers have a shot?

The Duke
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7418962

just scroll down a bit to where it says Do Steelers have a shot? and avoid that Shula-Pats crap :wink02:

It's obvious the losses to the cards and broncos put the question mark on this team by many people, but hey, anything can happen, especially in the NFL.

Some things stand out in this article though

Pittsburgh has a very good offensive line right now. In fact, the line probably is better than Peyton Manning's.

Ben's elusiveness must be blinding some people, that o line never gives him any time and it is not near Manning's line

There is no way that Pittsburgh can run the table -- beating both Indianapolis and New England in January -- and show up in Arizona for Super Bowl XLII.

:coffee: 2005 playoffs, nobody thought they would make it and now they have the trophy to shut everyone's mouth. seems like some people just don't get it, anything can happen in the NFL

BlastFurnace
11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I wish people would quit "crowning" the Patriots as the greatest team ever and unbeatable. Just comparing the teams from the 1990's forward where the players were similar in size and physical ability, the 1992-3 Cowboys or the 1994 49'ers would beat the living daylights out of them.

The 2005 Colts were supposedly unbeatable as well...and look what happened.

fansince'76
11-07-2007, 06:19 PM
It's obvious the losses to the cards and broncos put the question mark on this team....

I have no problem with that, but what pisses me off is how Dallas is supposedly an "elite" team despite lucking out big time against Buffalo after we kicked them all over the field. If we ain't "elite," neither are the Cowboys.

Steelers
11-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Of course the Steelers have a shot. They're gonna win the AFC North by a landslide and head into the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder because of the Colts/Pats attention.

Arizona's coach was Steelers personnel this time last year and we only lost by a score.
We lost by 3 to Denver after showing a lot of heart at the end.

I don't want to jinx it, but we're witnessing something special this season.

stillers4me
11-07-2007, 06:31 PM
hmmmmmmm.......and a sixth seed team could never win the Suberbowl, either. :hunch:

skinart82
11-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Anything can happen on a Sunday

Crushzilla
11-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Even if things don't go our way this season, this is a very good, young team. Yes. We have some positions with some age, linebackers for one, but there is great talent in the wings.

This squad shows flashes of brilliance, even if that brilliance isn't there in a playoff game that ends our season abruptly I feel great about where this francise is continuing to head.

Crushzilla
11-07-2007, 06:44 PM
To elaborate on my point, teams like New England, though very good this year, are on the way out. Their defense is OLD and its only a matter of time before they start dropping (I know this has been said for years, but seriously, it has to happen). Then it doesn't matter how good the offense is (Ala Bengal) because the defense will be liquid.

Besides, Randy Moss is going to break the bank if they resign him, don't expect him to be so cooperative this time around, now that he's proven again.

Dragonrider
11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Least we forget and I think all the pundits have. The core of this team won the Superbowl. So do we have a chance? Absolutely. We just need to keep building each week and get on that roll again. I don't think the weather will be a factor and the patriots depend on that. The "elite" teams are all beatable. So don't worry about what the so called experts say. Bottom line is we still have to play the games.

slippy
11-07-2007, 07:43 PM
there is no way the pats or colts D is better than PIT, as quoted in the article. boy did those pats LBers look ancient against the colts.

pats are playing great right now and wil be tough to beat. the colts, while playing well as usual, are still a ? in the playoffs because of manning's fragile postseason psyche, (outside of last year, when they actually played as a team).

IMO manning and brady are great QBs, but i don't see either of them making "THE TACKLE". manning is a wuss and brady is @#$(*&^%$ slow.

fansince'76
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Whoever wrote that article hasn't been watching any games. The Steelers' OL better than the Colts'? Not - that is our Achilles' Heel, IMO. The Pats' D better than the Steelers'? Again, not.

Sharkissle29
11-07-2007, 09:31 PM
how does he say the patriots and the colts have a better defense than us? last i checked we had the BEST in the league. and like others have stated, our O-Line is not better than the Colts. i question the knowledge of this writer......

Petesburgh66
11-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Steelers have a shot. Any team that gets in the playoffs has a shot. But you have to be peaking prior to getting in. Steelers did it in 2005. The Colts D got it together at the right time last year as well.

Rhee Rhee
11-08-2007, 02:52 AM
What pissed me off is when he said like the steelers dont have nearly as many playmakers as the colts or pats. WTF who do the colts have? name on of their starting LB's besides freeney and sanders who do they have? o thats right NO ONE! who do we have? well we have the most underrated MLB in James Farrior the best safety in the NFL troy polamalu the best PURE cover CB in Ike Taylor (as said by john madden) and we have the best 3-4 NT in the game Casey Hampton btw did i mention we have dick lebeau the nutsest D-Coordinator ever? screw the guy who made the article did no reasearch and has a fetish for the colts & Pats...

Galax Steeler
11-08-2007, 04:58 AM
we have just as good of a shot as anybody our weakest part is the offensive line other then that we are a good team.

steelermuzik
11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
He also said "Pittsburgh is not as deep on defense as those two teams".

Ok, so we didn't post a shutout (which I do believe neither of those teams has) WITHOUT our top 2 defensive players? If that isn't depth, I don't know what is!

Clearly the writer is uneducated and on the bandwagon.

People doubted us in '05, and I never did. I believed we'd make it then and I believe we have a shot this year too.

Go Steelers! :cheers:

Lord Stiller
11-08-2007, 10:49 AM
He also said "Pittsburgh is not as deep on defense as those two teams".

What???

I think we are the deepest Defense in the league. We have 3 corners and 3 safeties who could be starters. We have 2 talented rookie linebackers as backups. We have Hoke to backup Hampton. Our DE backups arent the greatest but they are okay

Jman
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
To elaborate on my point, teams like New England, though very good this year, are on the way out. Their defense is OLD and its only a matter of time before they start dropping (I know this has been said for years, but seriously, it has to happen). Then it doesn't matter how good the offense is (Ala Bengal) because the defense will be liquid.

Thank you!!

It is only a matter of time - Their D is old and on the way out. It's not as bad as the Eagles' situation, but yea...

:helmet:

Jman
11-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Whoever wrote that article hasn't been watching any games. The Steelers' OL better than the Colts'? Not - that is our Achilles' Heel, IMO. The Pats' D better than the Steelers'? Again, not.

:iagree:

verks36
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
There is no way that Pittsburgh can run the table -- beating both Indianapolis and New England in January -- and show up in Arizona for Super Bowl XLII.

is this guy joking.

Yes it is unprobbly that we would be able to beat both teams but is his memory that bad. Flahback to super bowl XL

HometownGal
11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I really don't like to look too far ahead and much prefer to concentrate on our opponents week by week. We are only headed into Week #10 and a lot (both good and not so good, i.e key injuries) can happen between now and the end of the regular season which can make or break us. If the Steelers can pretty much stay healthy and keep bringing that intensity we saw Monday night into each and every game, I think they can accomplish anything (and everything).

Remember those words . . . one game at a time. :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
11-08-2007, 12:55 PM
The Steelers have a great shot of beating the living snot out of any other team in the NFL. It doesn't matter where or when, if they line up against us and we truly play our best...they will get a shot right in the mouth and the Steelers will be victorious.

That's the kind of shot the Steelers have. Line it up on Sunday and Bring it On.

alittlejazzbird
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I have no problem with that, but what pisses me off is how Dallas is supposedly an "elite" team despite lucking out big time against Buffalo after we kicked them all over the field. If we ain't "elite," neither are the Cowboys.

The Cowboys need the currently-trendy asterisk -- they're what passes for elite in the NFC. :wink02:

ricksteelers55
11-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Do you guys remember back in 2004 when the Pats were in their prime....we ended their 24 games winning streak and we beat the Eagles who were 9-0 in the same year and nobody was giving us a shot.

Underdogs they say....I say we'll see you week 14

steelwolf21
11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
meh... its fox, you know every time you see that name its gonna be mile high on kool-aid time. Those guys live in their own fantasy world, and this just makes me just a little bit more thankful I don't live in Fox's Lala Land:blah:

SteelerFanInATL
11-10-2007, 08:51 AM
If I remember correctly the Pat's & the Eagles a few years back were supposed to be
two of the best in the league and we beat them both back to back. I like it when we are underdogs. It takes the pressure off and allows us to just play football.

BritishSteel
11-10-2007, 05:34 PM
If the Superbowl were this Sunday, the article wouldn't be that far off the mark, but it isn't, it's in February. Since 2000, the Colts, Steelers and Pats record post-thanksgiving (and regular season) is:

Pats W31 T0 L10
Colts W22 T0 L17
Steelers W30 T0 L10

The Colts have had one season in the last 6 where they've gone better than 3-2 in the run in. This is not a cold weather team, nor a good season finisher. Who says they go the rest of the season unbeaten? The stats certainly don't support it. The Colts might very well find themselves going to Pittsburgh in the close season, rather than the other way round. Our stats are on a par with the Pats as the two best teams over the last 6 weeks of the season.

Boomerang
11-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah we have a very good shot and the players believe for sure.:tt02:

Preacher
11-10-2007, 05:44 PM
You know...

It is articles like that which makes me want us to play both the Colts AND the Patriots in the playoffs... AND CRUSH BOTH OF THEM.

Enough of this stuff. RUN UP THE SCORE...60 to 0 against the Pats in the playoffs.

steel striker
11-10-2007, 06:16 PM
We will see what happens and, there is not a team the our steelers can't beat. From what I saw in the colt - pats game is that Brady is not a god and yes they can be beat . Pressure on Brady will be the key but, let's wait and see what happens. If we play good defense I like our chances. i agree that the so called experts don't like to gives any credit or chance of this. I guess like mentioned above they don't remember our 05 super bowl run. So time will tell till then lets wave our terrible towels. :tt02:

stillers4me
11-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I think James Harrison is warming up for his date with Tom.................

Preacher
11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I think James Harrison is warming up for his date with Tom.................

:sofunny::sofunny:

SteelDogFan
11-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Today will tell a big story of the Pass Defense. This Browns offense is throwing the ball all over the place. The DB's better have their track shoes on and Troy better stay fundamental or they will hit big plays if he tries to jump to many routes.

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Here's a look at those teams Cleveland has been throwing the ball against in their wins.

Baltimore: Allowing 196 yards a game. Allowed 204 to the Browns.

Miami: Allowing 188 yards a game. Allowed 244 to the Browns.

St Louis: Allowing 205 yards a game. Allowed 236 to the Browns.

Seattle: Allowing 231 yards a game. Allowed 364 to the Browns.

So when you look at it, the only team the Browns really torched was Seattle and that was in part because Seattle plays like crap when they have to travel more than two time zones to play a football game.

Bottom line: Anderson doesn't come near 200 yards today and Pittsburgh wins by 10.

Elvis
11-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Of course the Steelers have a shot. They're gonna win the AFC North by a landslide and head into the playoffs with a chip on their shoulder because of the Colts/Pats attention.

Arizona's coach was Steelers personnel this time last year and we only lost by a score.
We lost by 3 to Denver after showing a lot of heart at the end.

:thumbsup:
:tt02: