STEELtownHAVOX
11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I think they just mad cause Ward/Holmes hit harder than any of there defense

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/11139016.html?page=all&c=y

Holly still sore over Ward hit
Browns defender hopes to 'get' Steelers receiver

By Marla Ridenour Beacon Journal sportswriter

Published on Friday, Nov 09, 2007

BEREA: Daven Holly is glad he's got company on the list of Hines Ward's headhunting victims.

That doesn't make the Browns nickel back any less angry over the late hit the Steelers receiver delivered Sept. 9 that left Holly with a concussion and cost Ward a $5,000 fine.

''I'm looking to get every chance I can to compete and get him back,'' Holly said of Sunday's rematch at Heinz Field.

On Monday night, Holly watched as Ward lit up the Baltimore Ravens' Ed Reed and Bart Scott in Pittsburgh's 38-7 victory. Scott jumped up and laughed in Ward's face, while Reed had to sit out part of Wednesday's practice with what Ravens coach Brian Billick called ''a sensitivity to light.''

Ward was quoted afterward saying Scott threatened to kill him, which Scott confirmed to the Baltimore Sun this week.

''I threatened him,'' Scott told the Sun. ''If I see him again, I'm going to threaten him again.

''He took some shots that he didn't have to, and I'm not even
talking about my shot. I'm talking about the Ed Reed stuff. I was letting up because I thought (Willie Parker) was going to run out of bounds. I should've just went for the cheap shot and hit him out of bounds. Then I wouldn't have had to worry about getting blindsided. That's fine, though. He's out there in safe land as a receiver, but I'll get an opportunity one day.''

That's the same way Holly feels after Ward's hit caused him to miss the Sept. 19 game against Cincinnati. Ward issued an apology in the locker room, but not to Holly's face.

Holly thought the apology was half-hearted.

''I don't see how you can apologize for something like that. There's no need to apologize; just don't do it,'' Holly said Thursday. ''The whistle blew and he hit me. It was a hit that came kind of late. It seems like he does that. Last week he did it twice. That's what he does, goes for guys' heads when they're not paying attention.

''At least I know he wasn't just coming after me. At least I know that's part of his game and that's what he does. He even has (receiver) Santonio Holmes doing it a little bit. They're going to look to hit you after a play or when you're running to the ball, they try to get a whole bunch of cleanup shots. They've got to understand they're on offense and we're on defense, so I'm sure we can get them a lot more than they can get us.''

A three-year veteran, Holly said he was looking down at the play when Ward, a four-time Pro Bowler in his 10th year, ''ear-holed me in my right ear.''

''He said he did it because people on our team were doing it,'' Holly said. ''I've never talked to him since the hit. I know Hines Ward a little bit, I've watched him over the years and he never came across as being dirty to me. But the hit was borderline.''

Former Browns safety Earl Little might beg to differ about Ward's reputation. In Pittsburgh's 15-12 overtime victory at Cleveland in 2001, Ward knocked out Little with a high block and a helmet to the chin. Ward stood over Little and taunted him, even though he was unconscious with a concussion.

Ward was fined $5,000 for taunting, but the league ruled the block was legal. A New York Times story reported there was talk among the Browns about an informal bounty on Ward for whoever could get a good hit on him.

Holly said he definitely will be on the lookout for Ward on Sunday.

''It changes the way you play,'' Holly said. ''You've got to have your eyes open, you've got to be ready and you always have got to look for him.''

Holly grew up in Clairton, Pa., watching the Steelers and understands the team's mentality.

''The Steelers play tough, hard-nosed football,'' Holly said. ''That's their motto.

''Sometimes you can mistake playing hard-nosed football for being dirty. I don't know how to say it, I don't think they're trying to be dirty. But sometimes when you're borderline playing hard-nosed, it's dirty. Sometimes you come across as being a dirty football team.''

fansince'76
11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Another crybaby - this time from the league's worst pass defense. It's football, not croquet! :crying01:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Ward seems to be making a few new enemies.

memphissteelergirl
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh, Boo-friggin-hoo!

There's no crying in football! :crying03:

HometownGal
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
hrq7VCg5POw

Dino 6 Rings
11-09-2007, 01:06 PM
The only thing this bumb will be sore over on monday are the numerous hits he's going to take while our recievers are busy blocking his sorry butt down field.

rbryan
11-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I love it, sounds like this guy is going to be more worried about Ward than doing his job.

And, and, and he hit hit me when I wasn't looking. And, and ,and now I have a boo boo. waaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

The best is Bart Scott crying about an "unnecessary hit" when he had his head down..... Hey Bart, pay attention or people will hit you when you're not looking. I guess you think you're the only one allowed to clock somebody when there not looking??? What a freakin crybaby

Borski
11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
''At least I know he wasn't just coming after me. At least I know that's part of his game and that's what he does. He even has (receiver) Santonio Holmes doing it a little bit.
Good, Holmes is learning to be a good blocking receiver

They're going to look to hit you after a play or when you're running to the ball, they try to get a whole bunch of cleanup shots. They've got to understand they're on offense and we're on defense, so I'm sure we can get them a lot more than they can get us.''

Wow, that is a big crybaby statment, if you on D then defend against them, they made legal blocks, if you don't like that then get out of the league.:sign03:

Infamix
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
all of these idiots need to leave the nfl and play flag football...I remember Ward got layed out and he complimented the guy on the hit. Ben got layed out and complimented Bart on the hit. These crybabies are clearly sore losers and highly insecure

Lord Stiller
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
That hit on Holly was a little late but I'm almost positive the whistle did not blow yet

Ward's hits on the pu$$y Raisins were all clean

Galax Steeler
11-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Keep up the good work hines I am behind you a 100%.:tt02:

HometownGal
11-09-2007, 04:44 PM
For those who haven't seen or don't remember Hines' hit on Holly, I've linked it below. Note the background music - LOL! :toofunny::toofunny:

N178pNP1S0Y

Edman
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Good God, what a baby. Don't like it? You can quit football anytime, Mr. Holly. Hines apologized and he was fined. What more do you want? You want him to kiss your *** now? Just for the hell of it, I want Hines to lay out this guy again. This time, Legally.

You didn't hear James Farrior whine when the Soldja laid a cheapshot on him last year did you?

JDB in N.C.
11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey here is some enlightening news for Holly, Scott, and Reed.

Guess what guys, not only defensive guys are allowed to hit!!!!!?????

Do you believe that???????

Suck it up cry babies. THAT IS STEELER FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

Get ready for it!!!!

Infamix
11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
OK I just watched the video a couple times, here's the thing. The hit was definitely a little late, BUT Hines did not know the play was over. If you watch it, Hines has his eyes locked on Holly while Davenport is still up. Unfortunately, Davenport was already down by the time Ward layed the wood.

Lord Stiller
11-09-2007, 05:48 PM
OK I just watched the video a couple times, here's the thing. The hit was definitely a little late, BUT Hines did not know the play was over. If you watch it, Hines has his eyes locked on Holly while Davenport is still up. Unfortunately, Davenport was already down by the time Ward layed the wood.

I agree. And like I said, I'm almost positive the whistle did not blow yet

Dino 6 Rings
11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
How many people does Ward need to lay out until other team's defensive backs start to look for him? Seriously, it isn't like he hasn't been Jacking Up guys for the last 7 years or so...truly amazing.

And how many times has Ward been Jacked Up? Plenty, he gets smoked all the time, but gets up with a smile and heads back to the huddle.

Football is a Violent Game. The More Violent Team wins.

The Steelers win Football Games!

Rhee Rhee
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
god cant believe he's still salty... he just wants attention cause he's a no name 3rd string CB HAHA

RoethlisBURGHer
11-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I hope Ward lays him out again.

Hines Ward is the toughest WR in the NFL.

Jman
11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
‘‘The most violent and most physical teams win football games.’’

-Mike Tomlin

:football:

Mosca
11-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Shrug. Holley's logic is bad football, and it's why most teams and players will never, ever see the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.

You should never, ever, ever assume that the play is over until the whistle is blown. Too many times the blockers and defensive guys are standing around with their hands on their hips, and the ballcarrier breaks free and the play is on again. I'd rather have my guy leveling your guy instead of standing around catching a breather. Hell, if there's a fumble, that's one less defender available to go after the ball.

The other side of all this whining is, I'll line up all the times Hines Ward has been laid out against any one of the whiners, and let's see who has taken more hits. Ward bounces up smiling, saying, "Nice hit."

You have to thrive on that stuff. Not just enjoy it. It has to make you STRONGER.

Other guys hit, or get hit, and they get weaker. Ward hits, or gets hit, and he gets stronger and better.

SEMP
11-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't remember Ward crying after being brutally abused by Patrick Willis.

AFC
11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Hilarious article. Only topped by the video.

Great post!

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Browns DB Daven Holly, whom Hines whacked in the opener, has decided it is time to talk some trash:

Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward defended himself Friday against charges by Browns cor nerback Daven Holly and Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott that he's a cheap-shot artist.

Ward was fined $5,000 for a late hit and unnecessary roughness on Holly in the Sept. 9 game at Cleveland Browns Stadium, a 34-7 Steelers win. The hit knocked Holly unconscious and out of the game with a concussion. Holly also sat out the next week against Cincinnati....

Holly also said he would try to light Ward up during Sunday's rematch in Pittsburgh.

"No doubt," Holly said. "I'm looking at every chance I can to go out there and compete and get him back. I'm sure guys will remember that and be looking for him."

Such talk doesn't sit well with Ward.

"When you've got a guy talking about getting me back, he's got to understand that he's calling me out, too," Ward said. "If I had wanted to hurt Daven Holly, believe me, I could have. It's comical to me that these guys are all of a sudden worried about little old me." :smile:

Ward's style hasn't been lost on Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham.

"I think you need to be aware of it as a player," Grantham said. "I think they've done a good job of selling their guys on finishing until the whistle. You have to be aware of that and who's around you."

But, a reporter asked, is he dirty?

"You said that," Grantham said with a smile.

Ward's hits on Scott and Reed on Monday night made Holly feel he wasn't alone.

"At least I know that's part of his game and that's what he does," Holly said. "He even has [receiver] Santonio Holmes doing it a little bit. They try to get a whole bunch of cleanup shots. But they've got to understand they're on offense and we're on defense, so I'm sure we can get them a lot more than they can get us."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/119468748998290.xml&coll=2

And for good measure Holly shows up in another story taking a swipe at Ben

The Browns' pass pressure on opposing quarterbacks has been virtually nonexistent.

They are tied for last in the NFL with seven sacks. Fine. They don't want Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger scrambling all over Heinz Field on Sunday, anyway.

"I think Ben is better throwing on the run than he is staying in the pocket," said Browns cornerback Daven Holly.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1194601270307530.xml&coll=2

I am glad to see the Browns are feeling so chirpy.

stillers4me
11-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Hines wears the big boy pads. He can take care of himself...... and the little ole Browns!

Lefturn
11-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Daven needs to talk to Ed Reed

moedap
11-10-2007, 10:49 AM
HometownGal perfect timing with the song and hit in the video. MOVE B****!!

I like talk like that it means the Steelers are playing hard.

Michael Keller
11-10-2007, 11:06 AM
What the hell is going on with these guys, unbelievable .. I am telling you out here in Sacramento California EVERYBODY THAT KNOWS THE GAME RESPECTs THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS and MOST OF THE KNOWLEDGEABLE FANS ROOT FOR THE STEELERS AS EITHER THEIR FIRST CHOICE OR THE SECOND BEHIND THE 49 ERS .

Why is this because the Pittsburgh Steelers play football the way it is meant to be played year in and year out. I love being a Steeler fan they are tough and yes they have class . If I read where our players were crying I would be ashamed and disgusted . One of the great truism of life is "'WHEN YOU PLAY THE STEELERS YOU ARE GOING TO GET HIT HARD AND OFTEN" . That the game folks, and if it ever changes it will not be football. Been a great year and the upside potential for this team is unreal.

jjpro11
11-10-2007, 12:26 PM
hines is probably wondering who the hell daven holly is.

The Duke
11-10-2007, 01:23 PM

:sofunny:

Holly is so weak, I just can't wait for Hines to knock him out again

steelpride12
11-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Ha well Jolly Holly can cry about it all he wants until Wards knocks him out cold!

fansince'76
11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Daven needs to talk to Ed Reed

Holly just needs to shut his mouth, period. Big talk coming from a backup on the worst pass D in the league.

Crushzilla
11-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Haha

Maybe Holly and his guys should figure out how to tackle first.

Their efforts on that Davenport play are horrendous. If the Steelers play as physical tomorrow as they did here, Holly's not going to remember enough of it to bitch about come Monday.

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
"I think you need to be aware of it as a player," Grantham said. "I think they've done a good job of selling their guys on finishing until the whistle. You have to be aware of that and who's around you i know when i played in high school , the coach ALWAYS stressed the point that the play isn't over till the whistle blows. he also used to say , if your going half assed, thats when you get hurt !

HometownGal
11-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Hines is the BEST blocking wideout in the NFL hands down. Seriously, could you see Moss, TO, Harrison - not to mention Braylon Edwards blocking like that? When the ball isn't thrown their way, they're too busy looking for somewhere to hide so they don't get their blocks knocked off.

jjpro11
11-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Hines is the BEST blocking wideout in the NFL hands down. Seriously, could you see Moss, TO, Harrison - not to mention Braylon Edwards blocking like that? When the ball isn't thrown their way, they're too busy looking for somewhere to hide so they don't get their blocks knocked off.

has there ever been a better blocking wr in nfl history? i'm not very old, but i cant remember or think of anyone else that was as good and respected a blocker as hines.

Preacher
11-10-2007, 04:14 PM
when you're running to the ball, they try to get a whole bunch of cleanup shots. They've got to understand they're on offense and we're on defense, so I'm sure we can get them a lot more than they can get us.''

A three-year veteran, Holly said he was looking down at the play when Ward, a four-time Pro Bowler in his 10th year, ''ear-holed me in my right ear.''

So let me get this straight... When a defensive player is running to the ball, the offense down the field is supposed to just let them go? They aren't supposed to block?

OK.

You would think that by his third or fourth year, he would realize he isn't playing college ball anymore.

stillers4me
11-10-2007, 04:20 PM

sounds like the Bungles receivers to me.........

HometownGal
11-10-2007, 04:28 PM
sounds like the Bungles receivers to me.........

Ah hell - the Bungles' receivers are easy to spot. They have yellow stripes instead of orange stripes on the backs of their uniforms.

NV STEELERS 723
11-10-2007, 10:27 PM
HTG...that was a great vid.....I played it several times ....

Clowns can cry all they want...and they are gonna be cryin even more Sunday

RoethlisBURGHer
11-10-2007, 11:56 PM
In the same game Leigh Bodden I think it was hit Ward late in the knee with his helmet. It was the reason Ward missed two games and had arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

But did he bitch about it? No, he took it like a man. These Browns and Ravens are just a bunch of pansies.

IT'S FOOTBALL PEOPLE, NOT CHECKERS!

Crushzilla
11-11-2007, 12:06 AM
IT'S FOOTBALL PEOPLE, NOT CHECKERS!

Or is it a VERY physical game of checkers?

Food for thought...

RoethlisBURGHer
11-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Or is it a VERY physical game of checkers?

Food for thought...

I dunno man, I don't recall ever being tackled in a game of checkers.

The Duke
11-11-2007, 01:36 AM
I dunno man, I don't recall ever being tackled in a game of checkers.

maybe you should play this with a browns fan and see if you get tackled

http://www.profootballhof.com/images/upload/items/medium/02113_4462.jpg

steelers checkers, sound like fun. and seems like we're about to kick some browns ass
there too

Preacher
11-11-2007, 03:03 AM
Or was that...

Still sore FROM Ward's hit?

:sofunny::sofunny:

OX1947
11-11-2007, 03:28 AM
I dont know who Holly is, but he sounds like a bitch. I dont care if it was before or after, Bart Scott deserved to get clocked. The funny thing about all of this is Ed Reed got the worst of it and he isnt in the papers crying like a little biznatch. I actually felt bad for Ed Reed because he is on eof the few Ravens who doesnt yap his bullcrap when his team sucks marbles....

Crushzilla
11-11-2007, 03:39 AM
I dont know who Holly is, but he sounds like a bitch. I dont care if it was before or after, Bart Scott deserved to get clocked. The funny thing about all of this is Ed Reed got the worst of it and he isnt in the papers crying like a little biznatch. I actually felt bad for Ed Reed because he is on eof the few Ravens who doesnt yap his bullcrap when his team sucks marbles....

He was also the only one who knew what the hell was going on in the Secondary last Monday and... well... that's giving him a lot of credit.

It has to b frustrating for a player of his quality to be getting waxed up and down the field by a "game manager."

steel striker
11-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I guess thats the difference when we get clocked and smoked you don't hear any of the steelers crying about it take like a man this is pro football. I really don't the browns want to fire up our defense anymore than it already is but, hey it is there funeral! Back to the ratbirds reed seems like a ok guy does not say much just plays the game. Now Scott , Lewis and a few of the others moan and cry when things are going south. They are not used to having the offense dominate and out hit them like we did.

Hines0wnz
11-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Crybabies because Hines took their man cards. :sofunny:

jjpro11
11-11-2007, 05:31 PM
daven holly who?

stlrtruck
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
But I'm sure it's ok if this defensive players hit the WRs when they are defenseless or as they are going down....it's football girls, and the way the Steelers play it, it's HARD NOSE FOOTBALL!!!