PDA

View Full Version : Should Dog The Bounty Hunter Be Canceled?

HometownGal
11-09-2007, 04:18 PM
While I don't agree with anyone using the "N" word to refer to an African American person, I feel that the actions of Duane Chapman in using the "N" word in a private conversation has been tremendously exaggerated. A & E has canceled his long-running show "Dog The Bounty Hunter" because of outrage express by the African American community.

I watched Dr. Phil (as usual - LOL!) this afternoon and he addressed this issue with several leaders of the AA community (the racist Al Sharpton being one), as well as rapper Master P and an AA attorney who practices in the area of civil rights. The reverened that was a guest host on the show (can't recall his name), Al Sharpton (I refuse to address him as a reverend) and the attorney all agreed that "serious action" should be taken against Mr. Chapman, even going beyond canceling his TV series. When Dr. Phil mentioned to rapper Master P. that many of his rap tunes contain the "N" word, MP didn't really have a whole helluva lot to say. Another AA gentleman on the guest panel stated that he felt the situation had been blown way out of proportion and stated that a person's PRIVATE telephone conversation should not be under scrutiny by anyone.

Racism is prevalent in today's society, unfortunately, but it doesn't just apply to one race. I'd love to ask Mr. Sharpton and that attorney face to face if they've ever uttered a racial slur. I think I know what the answer would be.

Thoughts?

Chapman Apologizes for Using Racial Slur
'Dog' Chapman Suspended for Racial Slur

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Duane "Dog" Chapman says he can be taught new tricks - and one of them is never to use the "N-word" again.

Chapman, 54, has apologized to blacks and to all Americans for repeatedly using the racial slur during a March phone call to his son, Tucker, urging him to break up with a black girlfriend. The recent Web release of the recorded conversation by The National Enquirer led the A&E television network to put Chapman's reality show indefinitely on hold.

Chapman, who had issued a written apology, followed it up in his first interview since the scandal broke by remarking: "Never again. This dog learns."

In the interview with Sean Hannity for Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes" show Tuesday, Chapman denied being a racist and said he used the N-word conversationally when talking to black acquaintances.

"I thought that I was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word as a brother to a brother," he said. "I'm not. I didn't know really know until three or four days ago what that meant to black people."

"I now learned I'm not black at all," Chapman said. "And I never did it out of hate."

"All black people in America I owe an apology to," Chapman said in the interview. "Whether, how dark I think I am, I cannot say that word. I owe the rest of the people, whether they are black or not in America, an apology because people look up to me."

"If I could kill myself and people would forgive me, I would do that," he said.

Chapman also specifically apologized to his son's girlfriend, Monique Shinnery. But Shinnery told the Enquirer that Chapman's attorney, not the TV star, called with an apology.

Chapman also said he is making a deal to be buried at a historic slave burial ground near George Washington's Mount Vernon home.

"I want to be buried right where they're at because I will never be forgiven as (long as) I'm alive," Chapman said.

Chapman appeared Wednesday night on CNN's "Larry King Live." He told King he had used the N-word not because of Shinnery's race, but to make a point with his son, who had served time for robbery.

"I referenced it, the only word I know, that would hurt his feelings or catch his attention very fast - never as a prejudicial or racial slur or anything like that," Chapman said.

The Honolulu-based bounty hunter first grabbed headlines when he captured serial rapist and Max Factor heir Andrew Luster in Mexico in 2003.

His TV series, "Dog the Bounty Hunter," followed him and his tattooed crew as they tracked down bail jumpers. The show starred some members of Chapman's family, but Tucker Chapman was not regularly featured.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PEOPLE_DUANE_CHAPMAN?SITE=KTVK&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

MasterOfPuppets
11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
wow !!! get the hip wadders out, cause dog sure is pilin it pretty deep ....:toofunny:

"I thought that I was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word as a brother to a brother," he said. "I'm not. I didn't know really know until three or four days ago what that meant to black people."

"I now learned I'm not black at all,"

"If I could kill myself and people would forgive me, I would do that," he said.

Chapman also said he is making a deal to be buried at a historic slave burial ground near George Washington's Mount Vernon home.

"I want to be buried right where they're at because I will never be forgiven as (long as) I'm alive," Chapman said.

if he thinks anyone is believing this BS, he's even more retarded in real life than he is on his lame ass show...:sofunny:

HometownGal
11-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Dog is a bit odd, most definitely, and I don't watch his show very often, but I think the action taken and the reaction from the AA community is way overboard. It seems the only time you hear about racist remarks is when it is a Caucasian making the remark directed towards an African American. Racism is an ugly two-headed monster, unfortunately.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-09-2007, 07:55 PM
If a white person calls a black person the N-word or any other race-related slur, he/she is a racist biggot.

If a black person calls a white person a racial slur, the black community has no problem with it.

Unfortunatly, that's how it is in this world. And Al Sharpton is one of the biggest criminals when it comes to this.

Borski
11-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Although I hate this idiots show and what he said was wrong, it was in a private conversation. he should not be penalized for what he says in private.

lilyoder6
11-09-2007, 08:02 PM
i think it's funny that the black community on dr. phil and stuff talking about.. i think they are just blowing the whole situation out of proportion... there worried about 1 white person saying it and then apologizing but they don't care about black ppl saying evry other word evry time they turn the corner...

Mosca
11-09-2007, 08:51 PM
LOL, yeah. But that's got nothing to do with the rant.

TroysBadDawg
11-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I grew up in a black area of town, I never heard of a African-American then. Back then I was a sand-N and they were plain N. Now I am still a Sand-N and they are African-American. I am sorry, but I hear them call each other N all the time, but let me say it and I am a racist? yet they call me a Sand-N and they are not? Get off the boat people it is a two way street. If it is good for one it is good for the other. Sharpton is the biggest bigot along with Louis Farrakhan that I know. They grab any head line they can to promote their own agenda. I remember a certain girl who they were saying was raped by 6 white police men. do you remember her name? Tawana Brawley that help.

I also remember just recently Don Imus was accused by the same people of the same thing, funny how it works, they can use the term, but whites can not.
they can have a Black Miss America contest, but try to have a White Miss America Contest. They have the Black Caucus in congress, how about a White Caucus? How far would that fly? But we are the racist???

Why don't I get it? Am I that stupid? Why am I a racist and they are not?

GBMelBlount
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
While I don't think the same rules apply for everyone, I think what he said was wrong. However, I would hazard to guess there are few of us who have talked to close family/friends in confidence, who haven't said something that would make us look like an a$$ if taped and leaked to the press. He who is at fault...

Elvis
11-10-2007, 11:06 AM
He is wrong for his word usage in my opinion.. but this is still the USA right?... US has changed all the rights around so much, so I guess you better just plead the 5th on everything or else someone will have their feelings hurt and then you get sued...

cubanstogie
11-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Freedom of speech. The guy can say whatever he wants. That what liberals and the Naacp, ACLU and other radical, crooked organizations use to their advantage when needed. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Bottom line is this guy is an idiot, with no social skills. He is probably some banjo playing , booger eater from a rural town in south carolina. All these groups, and people who want him fired need to pick and choose there battles. Who gives a shit what some inbred loser thinks. Just like I could care less if Snoop Dog, 50 cent, or any of these self proclaimed n-words call me cracker. If we as a society are going to worry about this crap we are in trouble. Much bigger problems to deal with. I don't care if he gets fired, I would like to see him be held accountable. The perfect way would be for some pissed off and offended Black man to kick the snot out of him. Hopefully that will happen.

rbryan
11-10-2007, 12:01 PM
This show should have be cancelled long before this incident. Garbage in garbage out. I'm still trying to figure out how his private phone conversation became public. Sounds like some distorted publicity stunt to me. This clown will probably become more famous now than he was before.

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
This show should have be cancelled long before this incident. Garbage in garbage out. I'm still trying to figure out how his private phone conversation became public. Sounds like some distorted publicity stunt to me. This clown will probably become more famous now than he was before.apparently his son taped it,, and sold it.......way to go JR !!!!....:thumbsup:

Mosca
11-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Freedom of speech. The guy can say whatever he wants. That what liberals and the Naacp, ACLU and other radical, crooked organizations use to their advantage when needed. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Bottom line is this guy is an idiot, with no social skills. He is probably some banjo playing , booger eater from a rural town in south carolina. All these groups, and people who want him fired need to pick and choose there battles. Who gives a shit what some inbred loser thinks. Just like I could care less if Snoop Dog, 50 cent, or any of these self proclaimed n-words call me cracker. If we as a society are going to worry about this crap we are in trouble. Much bigger problems to deal with. I don't care if he gets fired, I would like to see him be held accountable. The perfect way would be for some pissed off and offended Black man to kick the snot out of him. Hopefully that will happen.

You know, the first thing I thought was that the network has the right to fire him over ratings; but if you think about it, the "Dog The Bounty Hunter" audience doesn't give a damn what he says and doesn't say; I think they would EXPECT him to say "ni**er". I doubt that ANYTHING the guy woud say would keep his fans from watching him.

The network can pull his show for whatever reason they want. But they are doing it to make a statement. Let's face it, they don't need Dog to fill that hour; they can fill it with car bungee jumping, or whatever else sensational they can think of. It's kind of sad that they accept the guy for who he is, then let him go for BEING who he is. But business is what it is; you can't expect it to be anything but ruthless.

But I have no sympathy for Dog. I wasn't a fan before, and I'm not a fan now. I agree; Next. He reaped what he sowed, hoisted on his own petard.

steelergirl07
11-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I like that show. What he is doing for Hawaii is wonderful. Drugs are so much of a problem here, and he's helping. Him and his family care about Hawaii. He might be a little off, but that's why so much people like him.

He shouldn't be punished for something he said in a private phone conversation with a family member. Everyone is a racist in some way. You can't tell me black people never say anything derogatory to any other race. Asian people say bad things about any other race that is not Asian. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Steelerstrength
11-10-2007, 03:13 PM

A civil society has the obligation to do everything possible to eradicate this type of behavior. Continuous exposure to racist thinking will only serve to increase like thinking. The less educated a person or society is, the easier it is to manipulate their thinking, especially with exposure without consequences. It is not OK to use that word over & over within a conversation, and then apologize, even if it is private. That just proves his real thoughts. He's done!

When you are on TV you become a "role model" whether you like it or not. The network rolled the dice when they put on someone like Dog, and it bit them in the ass. What did they expect?

A civil society must be consistent with ALL issues, large or small, depending on your perspective. Empathy and attempting to understand how all our actions & behavior effect our fellow citizens, considering the backgrounds and experiences of each, is the responsibility of our civil society.

Do we prioritize? Yes. Does that mean forget about some issues? Absolutely not!

revefsreleets
11-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Interesting responses. I wonder why the ACLU didn't take up his cause. Technically, his private conversation was never intended for mass consumption, and it's a little unfair that private conversations can be used in the press to condemn the guy. They've taken up that position before.

And why has no one considered what a great vehicle his show with him as a statesman for anti-racism could be? My (cough cough) guess is that the demographic that watches this show is white trash trailer trash who could really benefit by seeing their role model learning a lesson in real-life.

stlrtruck
11-10-2007, 10:04 PM
You know if people want certain words to disappear from the written and verbal communications, then maybe they themselves should stop using it.

I truly don't understand how people will go around talking about their "N's and their Beyatches but the moment the words are turned back around they mean something different?

Our society has become soft and lacks individual character. While DOG may have been an idiot for using the word during taping of his show, it lacks character by others when they want to come down on the person using the word instead of standing above the situation. Instead, they want to bring themselves down into the muck and mire.

I mean I wear a kilt from time to time - actually wore in my wedding and to this day I hear people call it a skirt and sometimes I correct them and sometimes I just look them and give them a wink & smile (ala Big Ben).

If this country is ever going to get better then we need to teach our children to have a strong mind and to take the high road at all coasts!!! Only then will the N word ( and other offensive words) become as useless as an empty paper towel roll.

PAMillerGrrl83
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Well I dont approve of the *n* word but I am a fan of Dogs and I love the show. I dont think A & E was right to pull it.

steelergirl07
11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Can people assuming that people who watch his show are white trash, rednecks, hicks ect. I watch his show all the time and I am not any of those things.

MasterOfPuppets
11-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Our society has become soft and lacks individual character. While DOG may have been an idiot for using the word during taping of his show, it wasn't during a taping of his show. it was a private conversation with his son. his son taped it, and apparently sold it. !!! there's nothin like bein screwed by your family...:thumbsup:

Preacher
11-11-2007, 01:59 AM
To me, this is the exact same issue as the Dixie Chicks going overseas and saying some stupid stuff about the president.

I thought, and still think they were completely wrong for doing it. However, they have the right to say what ever they want. OTOH, the radio stations have the right to play whatever THEY want... and the concert promoters have a right to promote whatever THEY want. So the Dixie Chicks lost a lot of airtime because of what they said...

In the same way, Dog has a 1st amendment right to say what he wants. If it gets put out on the airwaves, A&E also has a first amendment right (right of association as founded by the SC). Thus, they don't have to associate with him.

Jeremy
11-11-2007, 08:20 AM
No.

He's a walking talking warning against incest.