PDA

View Full Version : Some more good info on Harrison

Stlrs4Life
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plai...530.xml&coll=2 (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1194601512307530.xml&coll=2)

Pittsburgh -- Steelers linebacker James Harrison wishes everybody would just leave him alone.
Since his unbelievable performance in Pittsburgh's 38-7 victory over the Baltimore Ravens on "Monday Night Football," which earned him AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors, droves of reporters have been approaching him for interviews at every opportunity.
"Y'all bugging me," he told the crowd around his locker Thursday afternoon as the Steelers prepared to host the Browns on Sunday. "I'm getting a little tired of that."

After most of the reporters drifted away, he admitted, "All this attention makes me very uncomfortable."
When a player has 3? sacks, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one interception and nine tackles in one game, the attention is inevitable. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier for a private person such as Harrison.
The Akron native who attended Coventry High School and Kent State would like to put it all behind him.
In fact, when his mother was watching replays of the game at his house earlier this week, Harrison complained because he wanted to watch cartoons instead.
"I've seen stuff here and there, but I don't sit there and admire the work," Harrison said.
"It was one game, one week, and right now we're focused on Cleveland. I don't care what happened last week. We're trying to get ready for this week."
The attention has trickled down all the way from Pittsburgh to Akron. Everybody - from his mother Mildred to his former high school coach Mo Tipton to his former athletic director Jon Hibian - has been doing interviews.

"I've spent the past two days answering questions about James," said Hibian, now Coventry's principal.
Mildred Harrison, who attended the game, watched the power bars on her cell phone disappear as relatives and friends checked in to celebrate.
Gary Hutt, Coventry's offensive coordinator who was an assistant coach when James Harrison played there, called Harrison five or six times during the game, leaving a message after every great play.

"I apologized to him later," Hutt said, laughing. "I just couldn't believe what he was doing."
Dean Pees was not surprised. Pees, who coached Harrison at Kent State and is now the defensive coordinator of the New England Patriots, knew Harrison had it in him all along, even if not all of the pro scouts agreed.
"Everybody who came to see him play liked him, but they all thought he was too short at 6 feet," Pees said. "I don't know how tall you've got to be. I think he's a good football player. He's fast, tough, intense, smart. He plays on his feet, doesn't get knocked down very much. I don't know what else you'd want."
Pees wanted more than Harrison's talent, though. He wanted his commitment.
Harrison had already enrolled at Kent State by the time Pees was hired in late 1997, and Harrison's football future was at a crossroads. The youngest in James and Mildred Harrison's blended family of 14 children, Harrison had been a star from the moment he started playing Pee Wee football at the age of 8. When legendary Orrville coach Mo Tipton was hired at Archbishop Hoban, James Harrison Sr. took his son to the school and told Tipton that he wanted his son to play for him. The incoming freshman made quite a first impression by leveling a star senior during a one-on-one drill the first day.
A year later, Tipton agreed to help rebuild the Coventry football program, and Harrison followed and excelled as a running back, linebacker and punter.
Off the field, life wasn't always easy. As one of a handful of African-American students in his school and conference, Harrison endured taunts and didn't always react well. He made some poor decisions, one of which cost him the final game of his senior season, and was involved in what Hibian referred to as "pranks," including a much-publicized incident in which he shot a BB gun and injured a classmate.

Asked how he would describe his high school days, Harrison paused for a moment and said: "Everything happens for a reason. It was what it was. It wasn't a great situation. It wasn't a real bad situation. Some things happened that you just had to deal with. Some decisions I made I had to live with. Everything that happens to you makes you who you are. It's either going to make you a better person or worse.
"Fortunately for me, it made me better."
Not immediately. The hijinks probably cost him a chance for a scholarship at big schools such as Nebraska and Ohio State, so he walked on at Kent State. When Pees met Harrison, the coach told him he would have to work a lot harder and rededicate himself to football and athletics.

"To his credit, he came around," Pees said. "By his senior year he was captain of the team, which was quite an accomplishment coming from where we started."
Pees recalls the final game of the 2001 season, against Ben Roethlisberger and Miami of Ohio. Kent was 5-5, trying to finish with a winning record for the first time in ages. The Golden Flashes had a 24-20 lead, but Miami had the ball and was driving with about 20 seconds left.
Pees took a timeout and told Harrison to rush off the left side.
"I told him the whole season was riding on that play - and him," Pees recalled. "He sacked Roethlisberger before he even had the ball up to his waist."
Harrison held on, and so did Kent.
It has taken some time for Harrison to be able to showcase those talents again. Undrafted coming out of college, he was signed and cut twice by the Steelers and once by the Baltimore Ravens, who sent him to play with Dusseldorf in NFL Europe.
He was picked up by the Steelers at the start of training camp in 2004 and has played as a backup and on special teams, moving into the starting lineup this year after Joey Porter's departure to the Dolphins.
Harrison finally burst into the spotlight Monday night in a game that won't soon be forgotten - no matter how much he'd like it to be.
"Nobody really knew he could play as good as he did Monday," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. "But now he let the cat out of the bag, and that's what we're going to look for every week.

stillers4me
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
He looked very uncomfortable walking into Martino's on draft day. He had that steely stare on his face and seemed a bit unapproachable at first.......but then he loosened up and was really a friendly guy. My hubby is 6' 6" tall and when James saw him, he hopped up on chair so he'd be the taller one!

I'm thrilled for him with his success.......nice job, Silverback!

stillers4me
11-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Here's another good article I just found in my e-mail.......

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/212172

Sweet revenge for Harrison
Porter?s successor, cut by Baltimore, becomes one-man wrecking crew

By MATT PAWLIKOWSKI, Correspondent
Intelligencer Journal

Published: Nov 09, 2007 1:19 AM EST

PITTSBURGH - They honored a player from Kent State on Monday night, as Jack Lambert was named part of the 75th Anniversary team for the Pittsburgh Steelers during halftime ceremonies at Heinz Field.

But it was another product of the Ohio school, current Steeler linebacker James Harrison, who made fans do a double take, as he played against the Ravens with a passion not seen in these parts since the days of Lambert and the Steel Curtain defense.

All Harrison did was force three fumbles, record 2? sacks, intercept a pass and recover a fumble. Pretty impressive figures but even more impressive considering it all happened in just one half of the Steelers' 38-7 victory.

"It was great opportunity to showcase whatever it is that I could bring to the team," said Harrison. "In front of those guys, on Monday Night Football, it was great."

Harrison, who is in his fourth year in the league, finished the game with nine tackles, 3? sacks and three forced fumbles. He is now fourth in the AFC with 6? sacks and first on the Steelers with 41 unassisted tackles.

While most players would bask in the limelight after a night like he had against Baltimore, not so for the shy and soft-spoken Harrison, who drew a huge laugh with his comments after being asked about it by nearly 30 reporters crammed around his locker afterward.

"A game like this, makes me not want to have a game like this," he said with a huge smile.

Yet while Harrison is a man of few words, and would rather defer the attention to others, his teammates weren't shy to talk about him, and his efforts on Monday.

"I think it's great what he did," said All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu." During the game you're just happy that you get the sacks or a fumble. However, afterward to find out it was him the whole time, it's really special, especially the circumstances he was under."

Polamalu was referring to the fact that Harrison was cut by Baltimore and also released by the Steelers early in his career before being counted on to fill the void left by free agent Joey Porter, who was also named to the 75th Anniversary team.

While there was talk during training camp that some of the rookie acquisitions might pick up Porter's slack, Harrison has all but quieted any critics, especially with his effort against the Ravens.

During the Steelers' first defensive series Harrison pressured then sacked Steve McNair, forced a fumble and recovered the ball at the Baltimore 20. It set up short yardage for the Steelers, and Ben Roethlisberger connected for the first of five first-half touchdown passes.

"We all knew he could play," said nose tackle Casey Hampton. "I think the Steelers knew he could play, and that's why they made the move and let him get his opportunity. He works hard for everything he gets, and we're excited he's a part of the team."

On the defense's next series, Harrison pummeled Ravens return man Ed Reed on a punt return and knocked the ball right into the arms of linebacker Lawrence Timmons. That set up yet another Steeler score.

"I've never seen anything like it," said outside linebacker Clark Haggans. "You see something like when you're playing a video game. They should have put him in on offense and let him run the ball or throw a touchdown. It was something down the road where I can tell my son I played with this guy and he did all that in one game."

Largely because of Harrison's play, McNair set an NFL record for futility, with the least yards passing in a game (69) with at least 13 attempts.

"He was just dominating; it was fun to watch," said former Manheim Central standout Dan Kreider. "When a guy plays like that it just motivates you more to go out there and play harder."

Asked if he'd ever had a game like this before, Harrison said there was one in high school where he had more than 300 yards rushing. But suddenly he was quick to quip about a game he had while at Kent State.

"I had a pretty decent one against Ben (Roethlisberger) and had about four sacks against him. I forgot about that one," he said smiling. "(Roethlisberger) knows that, that's the joke we have, if it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have even made it to this league!"

While Harrison's play against Baltimore was eye-popping, there was one moment in which he didn't get a sack or interception that stood out, his body slam of Reed. It brought back memories of when he tackled a fan who ran on the field in Cleveland last year.

"There is no correlation there, one was in the game, one was out," said Harrison, who grew up in Akron, Ohio. "One was just something to do, a Cleveland fan, and the opportunity to slam him, you have to take it." :cheers:

Steelman16
11-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't really mind him being a private person. I think it's better for intimidation. Like the guy never talks, but you'll be feeling his bruising the next day.

I'm glad he's steppin' up in the absense of Porter though! Good job Silverback! :cheers:

Edit: I love the qoute about slamming Browns fans! LOL

Edman
11-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Quiet Intensity. The exact opposite of Joey Porter.

Harrison should be the prime example that you don't need a mouth to be a great LB. Just take care of business with your play. Great job, Silverback.

Rhee Rhee
11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
im really glad that he's not letting all this fame go to his head... it shows he knows what he's doing... and doesn't make brash guarantee wins like ahem ahem someone we all know

Jman
11-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Here's an oldie but goodie:

Harrison dresses in the near corner of the locker room and he’s in his chair. He’s seated, but bending over and untying his shoes. Practice had just ended and that’s when the locker room heats up. Most reporters ask their questions before practice. The players are more pensive then. But after practice the pads are coming off, the kickers are throwing balls around, the players are happy, loud.

Um, James, I’m doing something on Joey’s cover about being the most feared man in the NFL.

“WHAT ABOUT IT?”

Yes, that’s an all-caps scream. He wanted to make sure I heard him because he wasn’t going to sit up until he completed his task.

James, I’m wondering what some of the other linebackers think.

“I AIN’T SEEN IT!"

Well, what do you think about him being named the most feared man in the NFL?

“I LIKE IT!”

Um, I thought you might receive some consideration for that.

“IF THEY CAN’T GIVE IT TO ME, THEN GIVE IT TO SOMEBODY I PLAY WITH! I LOVE IT!”

Haha. I love his responses.

ShutDown24
11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
That’s the first thing I noticed after his huge game Monday night. "It's just one game" he repeatedly told the sideline reporter. He honestly believed it too. Had Harrison gotten 20 sacks I have a feeling he would be acting the exact same way.

Infamix
11-09-2007, 09:27 PM
James Harrison definitely seems like an introverted type of guy....I remember during the interview after the game, when he first started talking his voice was shaking a bit

Galax Steeler
11-10-2007, 04:30 AM
I hope that game wasn't a fluke and he can continue to make that type of plays for the rest of the year.

stillers4me
11-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I hope that game wasn't a fluke and he can continue to make that type of plays for the rest of the year.

He's been making them all along, just not that many in the same game.

People here in Cinci come up to us all week and say, "where did that guy come from all of a sudden?". Hell.......they must not have watched their own game to closely! (typical Bungals fans) He's credited with 5 tackles, 1 assist and 1 fumble.

James is leading the defense so far with 46 tackles and 6 sacks. His other stats are none too shabby, either.

http://www.steelers.com/team/stats/

SteelerFanInATL
11-10-2007, 08:44 AM
The real credit goes to Coach Tomlin. Obviously he realized he had something special. You just don't cut a J. Porter unless you have someone waiting in the wing with talent to take his place. Great move by coach and the organization. Managed to keep talent after releasing a key player at a lesser salary. But this is nothing new, this is the Steeler way. :cheers:

stillers4me
11-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Harrison's college career forecast his Steelers successes
As good as James Harrison's performance was Monday night against Baltimore, there was a better one before it; just ask Ben Roethlisberger.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana / Post-Gazette
The Steelers' James Harrison sizes up the Baltimore Ravens offense. (Heinz Field, 11/5/2007)It was a big moment for James Harrison, a game that would define his career and lift his legacy to another stratosphere. Five sacks. Twelve tackles. One forced fumble. And, with the game still undecided, with the opponent 33 yards from the winning touchdown and 88 seconds remaining, Harrison came up with the exclamation point on his daunting performance.

He sacked the quarterback on third down, then sacked him again on fourth-and-17 to end the threat and give his team a 24-20 victory.

Only, in this instance, the quarterback was not Steve McNair, the opponent was not the Baltimore Ravens. It was Ben Roethlisberger and Miami (Ohio), and it was the final game of Harrison's college career.

"He single-handedly won that game," said Kent State tight ends coach A.J. Pratt. "Ask Ben Roethlisberger. James wasn't going to lose that last game."

"He tortured us pretty good, I will say that," said Roethlisberger, a redshirt freshman at the time.

"That's the only reason I'm here -- because of him," Harrison said, referring to Roethlisberger.

The Steelers are glad he is here, even though he almost wasn't.

Harrison, an undrafted free agent in 2002, was cut three times by the Steelers in two years, the last coming in 2003 when he made the 53-man roster, only to be dropped several days later in favor of safety Erik Flowers. Earlier that spring, he also was cut by the Ravens after they allocated him to the Rhein Fire of NFL Europe.

But on one glorious night at Heinz Field, he paid back both teams with one of most stunning defensive performances in National Football League history.

Five days ago, in a resounding, 38-7 victory against the Ravens, Harrison had 3 1/2 sacks, forced three fumbles, recovered a fumble and intercepted a pass. All but one sack came in the first half. Only three linebackers in team history had ever recorded more sacks in a game -- Chad Brown (4 1/2), Joey Porter (4) and Jerrol Williams (4).

Ironically, on this night, the only person possibly upstaging him was Roethlisberger, the very quarterback he tortured the last time he had one of these sensational performances. All Roethlisberger did was throw five touchdown passes, all in the first half, and post a perfect 158.3 rating.

Harrison's reaction?

"A lot of people want to talk to you, interview you, blah, blah, blah," he said. "It's not like I sat back and looked at it and admired it. I had a good game. That's as far as I took it."

There have been many great defensive performances over the years in the NFL, going back to Hall of Fame defensive tackle Joe Greene recording five sacks, blocking a field goal, forcing a fumble and recovering a fumble in a 9-3 victory Dec. 10, 1972, in Houston.

But, for production and diversity, it might be difficult to match Harrison's performance. The only thing he did not do was score a touchdown.

"Nine years in the league, I've never seen anything like that," said defensive end Aaron Smith, who watched the performance from the sideline because of a knee injury. "I've seen guys rack up the sacks, rack up the interceptions, but I've never seen anyone rack up the sacks, rack up the fumbles, the recoveries, the interceptions. It was an unreal performance."

Now he gets to face the Cleveland Browns (5-3), another team against whom he has had unreal performances. They were his favorite team growing up in Akron, Ohio, the youngest of 14 children, and his hero was former quarterback Bernie Kosar.

"My guy ... Ber-nie Ko-sar," Harrison said, giving it his best Howard Cosell impersonation. He said he cried when the Browns twice had heartbreaking playoff defeats to John Elway and the Denver Broncos and was disappointed when the Browns moved to Baltimore. So he switched his allegiance to the next closest team, the Steelers.

His road to Pittsburgh was not always smooth.

He went to three high schools because of what John Hibian, his former athletic director-turned-principal at Coventry High School, called "stupid little things;" was suspended for two games his senior year because he shot a BB gun in the locker room and got off with a fine rather than be sentenced to six months in prison for felonious assault; had scholarship offers to Nebraska and Notre Dame rebuffed because he said he "messed some things up" his senior year; didn't always convince his coaches at Kent State he was trying his hardest on the practice field; and was one phone call away from giving up on a career as a professional football player and going back to school to "do something else."

"Was it apparent he would be a professional athlete? I'd have to say no," Hibian said. "It's that his focus wasn't always on what it should be. He wasn't focused on the things that would make you believe he was a for-sure NFL prospect.

"I was looking at one of the finest athletes the school ever had. I thought if he could possibly get focused, he would have a successful college career."

At Kent State, Harrison was a first team Mid-American Conference selection his senior season, finishing with a conference-high 15 sacks and ranking second with 20 tackles for losses.

"James was a guy who kept to himself on the football field," said Kent State assistant coach Scott Booker, a Penn Hills native who played three seasons with Harrison in college. "He was very intense, very competitive. He's a great teammate when he's on your side, but he puts some fear in the other team, even on the practice field."

And so it is with the Steelers.

Harrison almost never made it to this position -- a starter at right outside linebacker for the departed Joey Porter, a player who ranks fourth in the American Football Conference with 6 sacks after eight games.

But, the Steelers called him back July 26, 2004, and asked him to report to training camp as a replacement for linebacker Clark Haggans, who broke his hand lifting weights. Harrison has never left.

Since then, he can be found leaping over tacklers on an interception return in San Diego, body-slamming a wayward fan in Cleveland, putting on one of the most stunning defensive performances in Steelers history while most of the greatest players in franchise history were in attendance.

"The guy, ever since he came in here, even from his rookie year, he was not afraid of anyone or intimidated by anyone," said defensive end Brett Keisel, a seventh-round draft choice. "You get some guys from smaller schools, you step in the locker room, and it's kind of like your eyes pop out. Then, you throw in our blitz packages and your head starts to spin. But he's just a beast, and he never stops."

Hibian, the high-school principal, has noticed a change in the person who transferred to Coventry for his final two years after attending Archbishop Hoban for 1 1/2 years and Buchtel High School for part of a year.

"There is a different air about him when he comes back now," he said. "I think he gets it. I see him as a young man now. Ultimately, he has become a mature young man."

?

NOTES -- Wide receiver Santonio Holmes (hamstring) returned to practice and is expected to start against the Browns. Safety Ryan Clark (spleen) and tight end Jerame Tuman (back) have not practiced and will not play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07314/832841-66.stm

moedap
11-10-2007, 11:10 AM
The reason introverted people are itroverted is b/c they think a lot. It takes repitition of surrounding events for them to be comfortable. Harrison is only going to get better and better on D. We know DLs 3-4 scheme allows the ROLB to shine if they so chose to fill that role. Maybe thats the reason for Timmons switch to ILB.

WWIIOwheelz
11-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll never forget when I really took notice of him--- the Superbowl DVD where in the first game, Cowher had to get on him about getting called for a special teams penalty he took. Cowher seemed like he was afraid of him. He walked back to Bettis and Staley & jokingly said to them both, "You know what Silverback said to me? 'Shit happens!'" Bettis & Staley seemed to understand when they laughed, and Bettis asked, "What are you gonna say?" LOL

Reading between the lines, I knew they all agreed that Harrison was a total badass. Having a nickname like "Silverback" is pretty telling, in itself. I wonder how he got that nickname? There HAS to be a story on that, how he got that nickname from the coach and fellow Steelers. I've never heard what it was, but I've always been curious.

GeneralRobinson
11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
That's a funny story about Cowher and Harrison, WWIIOwheelz. I have to admit I didn't even know what a silverback was until a couple of days ago. The nickname does fit with his intense tenacity.

Lord Stiller
11-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Pretty much every training camp you here how Silverback dominates the back-on-backers drill. Dude is very powerful

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Reading between the lines, I knew they all agreed that Harrison was a total badass. Having a nickname like "Silverback" is pretty telling, in itself. I wonder how he got that nickname? There HAS to be a story on that, how he got that nickname from the coach and fellow Steelers. I've never heard what it was, but I've always been curious.

The story goes he's physically the strongest player on the team hence the name silverback. there was a recent article in either the Trib or the Gazette about the players nicknames.

Found it...here's the article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_522902.html

What's in a Steelers' nickname?
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 19, 2007

Steelers cornerback Trevor Deshea Townsend always has gone by his middle name instead of his first name.

Naturally, his teammates call him "Trevor."

Nicknames, even ones that happen to be someone's given name, long have been a part of sports. For the Steelers they help keep things just a little bit lighter in a sport that has become as much a business as it is a game.

Nicknames are in some way essential to team building since a locker room without them might as well be a corporate board room. If they are terms of endearment, nicknames are also a sign of acceptance since none of the Steelers rookies have been given any yet.

"Once they get on the squad and start defining themselves," defensive end Brett Keisel said, "then we'll see if they're worthy of a name."

Keisel is the "Diesel" and it stuck to him after Steelers sideline radio reporter Craig Wolfley started calling him that on the air because it rhymes with his last name.

And, hey, he does run pretty well.

A play on someone's name may be the most common source of nicknames, and for the Steelers it explains "B Mac" (cornerback Bryant McFadden) and even "Woe-dee" (wide receiver Hines Ward), which is a derivative of "Wardy."

Of course, the beauty of nicknames is that, like safety Troy Polamalu on a blitz, they can come from anywhere at any time.

Former Steelers offensive lineman Tunch Ilkin couldn't help himself one day during the 1982 season when he saw rookie Keith Willis wearing argyle socks and a sweater vest.

"Oh my gosh," Ilkin said, "what a preppy you look like!"

That is how from that day forward the quarterback-stalking defensive end who is fifth on the Steelers' all-time sacks list also answered to the name "Skippy."

"Snelly" is what linebacker Arnold Harrison's teammates and even coaches call him, and there is story from his rookie season behind that sobriquet.

As part of initiation rites, Harrison had to sing a song in front of the team. He ended up crooning a hand-written ode to the dining hall, Snelling Hall, at the University of Georgia (his alma mater).

Bingo.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu also got a nickname as a rookie that has stayed with him, and it can be traced to what he did on the field.

The Steelers put him on the kickoff return team during training camp. To hear his teammates tell it, the players responsible for breaking up what is called the "wedge" on kick returns ended up giving Kemoeatu the nickname "Wedge."

"Guys that were running down were trying to run over him, and he'd just run right through guys and those guys would be knocked out with a concussion," backup quarterback Charlie Batch said. "The guys looked forward to watching kickoff returns when he was in there to see who he was going to knock out."

Kemoeatu is also called "Juicy" and "Punch" because his teammates noticed that he bears a likeness to the wild-haired character that is on Hawaiian Punch bottles and cans.

Defensive end Aaron Smith knows well how one's hair can lead to a nickname. He let his grow out one time, and it prompted defensive end Travis "Chubs" Kirschke to start calling him "Big Bird."

"My hair was really fluffy and it gets curly and wavy," Smith said. "I guess I've got that big butt too, like Big Bird."

Defensive tackle Scott Paxson is "T Rex" because his large trunk and short arms resemble that of a dinosaur (and, no, not because he played for Joe Paterno, whose Penn State coaching career predates the reign of the prehistoric creatures).

Nose tackle Casey Hampton has a number of nicknames, the most popular being "Big Snack."

If Hampton always seems to have snacks in his dorm room or even in his locker, linebacker Clint Kriewaldt had a poster of Buddy Lee, the blond haired, flannel-wearing fictional character that wears Lee Jeans, put in his locker by his teammates.

"It's my little mini me," said Kriewaldt, who still has the poster in his locker.

Kriewaldt actually is called "Billy" more than "Buddy Lee" these days by his teammates.

Linebacker James Farrior, more commonly known to his teammates as "Potsie" because he had a pot belly as a toddler, decided that "Billy" would be a good name for someone who is from Wisconsin.

Kriewaldt is so frequently called "Billy," that one day last year, then-Steelers linebacker Joey Porter said to him, "so your real name is William?"

"I'm quite sure," linebacker Larry Foote said, "the young guys don't know his name is Clint."

The young guys certainly know by now that linebacker James Harrison is "Silverback" because of his scary strength.

"You ever try to fight with a Silverback gorilla?" Harrison said when asked about his nickname.

Uh, no.

"You don't want to either."

Linebacker Clark Haggans is "Triple H," a nickname that is not associated with the WWE wrestler. The roots for Haggans' moniker can be traced to Vin Diesel's role as a fearless stuntman in the movie "Triple X" and is a nod to Haggans' disregard to his body when he is on the field.

Polamalu, who also plays with a style that borders on reckless, is the "Tasmanian Devil" (among other things) because, like the cartoon character, he is something of whirling dervish.

His backup at strong safety, Tyrone Carter, is "Sawed Off," presumably because the 5-9, 195-pounder is not the tallest guy in the world, and he aims to do just that to a receiver that tries to catch a pass within his vicinity.

Cornerback Ike Taylor answers to a number of names, including "Nola Boy" and "Dirty South." Both are derived from his upbringing in New Orleans and the fact Louisiana is at least considered the Deep South.

Verron Haynes can go pretty deep when asked about the nicknames of his fellow running backs. Of course, the one Willie Parker gave him may be the best among the Steelers' ball carriers.

It seems Haynes wanted to cut down on his shaving time, and he said that he put some Nair-like substance on his face to stunt the growth of facial hair.

It worked a little too well in one tiny spot on Haynes' right cheek, and he can no longer grown any hair there.

That is why Haynes is now "Scarface."

For an outsider, the Steelers' nicknames can be dizzying to keep track of. The same even is true for the people that are giving and receiving them on a regular basis.

During pre-game introductions, Haggans will sometimes stop when one of his teammates' names is announced because it has been so long since he's heard that name.

"It gets to the point where sometimes you call people their nicknames all the time." Haggans said, "you start to forget their real name."

Even if their real name actually is their nickname.

Boomerang
11-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Our D is going to be awesome for years to come, no worries.

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2007, 05:41 PM
defensive end Travis "Chubs" Kirschke i sure hope he didn't earn that one in the showers......:toofunny:

MyCuz64Furness
11-11-2007, 09:39 AM
some very good reads......seems like he pulled himself up on his own.......I hope all the attn doesn't mess with his head.....

tony hipchest
11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
mike ditka named "joey who" (harrison) as his mid season defensive mvp.

he said he earned it monday night and his performance was "one for the ages".

thats quite some praise and respect. i have heard monday compared to lawrence taylor and the best individual game by a steelers defender going back to greg lloyd vs the browns, if not, going all the way back to man joe.

when you see steelers sports writers say this, you have to raise an eyebrow, and take notice.

i think us as a fanbase have been far too humble and non-homeristic over his accomplishment and dominance.

Atlanta Dan
11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Ed.B. of the P-G said today that the Steelers knew when Porter left that Harrison probably would have beat Joey out

Porter's release really was a no-brainer. While he played well enough for a number of years to make the all-time Steelers team, and he helped drive them to Super Bowl XL, his play had diminished in 2006 as his knee surgeries increased.

Porter was due a $5 million salary and the coaching staff knew that had they kept him, Harrison probably would have beaten him out of his starting job.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07315/832948-66.stm

(imagine Joey's attitude if he was still here not even starting in his FA year:dang:)

tony hipchest
11-11-2007, 12:30 PM
(imagine Joey's attitude if he was still here not even starting in his FA year:dang:)and seeing the article that dean pees coached harrison in college, theres no way we could afford too keep porter and later see harrison walk to new england (vrabel)