PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Questions Calls/Non-Calls

GeneralRobinson
11-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Browns will ask league to review call, no-calls
Monday, November 12, 2007 The Repository, Canton OH
By Steve Doerschuk

BEREA Borrowing from a John Steinbach title, call the aftermath of Sunday?s 31-28 loss at Pittsburgh the Winter of Romeo Crennel?s discontent.

The Browns? head coach said the team will send the league office a package demonstrating how the team was hurt by holding penalties that were and weren?t called.

Referee Ron Winter?s crew missed some holds that helped Pittsburgh drives, in the view of some Browns.

Then, with barely more than a minute left, Browns punt-return blocker Darnell Dinkins was flagged for holding. Dinkins was convinced - and coaches agreed following a film review - it was a clean play.

The penalty resulted in the Browns starting their final series from their own 33-yard line rather than the Pittsburgh 40. They got far enough for Phil Dawson to try a 52-yard field goal that came up short.

?It?s unfortunate it happened,? Crennel said today. ?It cost us a lot of field position.?

Crennel didn?t directly criticize anyone from Winter?s crew, but in code language basically said Dinkins threw a good block, and that linebacker Antwan Peek was kept from making a couple of series-altering plays because the Steelers got away with obvious holds.

In general terms, Crennel said, ?We talk to the (officials) during the game and say, ?Watch, our guy?s getting held.?? Crennel didn?t come off as whining about the officiating. Assorted Browns say coaches constantly remind them to play through calls with which they might disagree.

Turning his thoughts to Sunday?s game at Baltimore, Crennel said the team must quickly re-focus to build on its 5-4 record.

?If we go into the tank, it?ll be back to the same old thing,? Crennel said. ?We?re not gonna let that happen. We?ve worked too hard to come this far.? On the injury front, wide receiver Joe Jurevicius got up slowly after getting clobbered by safety Troy Polamalu following a short catch in the final seconds.

?(Troy) Polamalu came pretty much full speed and hit him in the legs,? Crennel said, who sounded optimistic Jurevicius can play at Baltimore.

Crennel said right guard Seth McKinney, who went on the inujured reserve list Saturday, will have surgery to repair his separated left shoulder. He said McKinney?s replacement, Ryan Tucker, ?hung in there pretty good.?

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=17&ID=386226&subCategoryID=26

Steelman16
11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Who cares?

BlastFurnace
11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
As soon as you hand over the Steelers "scouting" tapes from 2001 and 2004 when you were in NE, we'll start the talks about bad officiating.

Atlanta Dan
11-12-2007, 01:14 PM
So first he blames the players for the 2 timeout fiasco to review Miller's catch and now this?

Maybe he should ask the league to review his clock management while he is at it?

Losers whine, winners say shut up and deal.

MACH1
11-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Now their starting to sound like the Waaahawks.

GeneralRobinson
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Exhibit B: Jamal Lewis from The News-Herald in Northeast Ohio:

Jamal Lewis ran through the middle of the line for four yards. He was stopped but stayed on his feet. The ball popped out and was recovered by cornerback Ike Taylor. Linebacker James Harrison was credited with stripping the ball.

Lewis said the whistle should have been blown before the fumble because his forward progress was stopped, but the officials did not see it that way.

"I know (progress) was stopped because I kind of let up," Lewis said. "You can't let the game like this fall into the hands of the referees. When you start off like we did, we have to play for four quarters. We didn't do that today."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19014501&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

alittlejazzbird
11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Now their starting to sound like the Waaahawks.

Exactly what I was thinking.

And while Romeo's on the subject, he should try explaining to his players, whom he actually threw under the bus last night, how he single-handedly mis-managed the game by wasting not one, but two timeouts on that ridiculous challenge. Not unlike the Seahawks, he gives Holmgren a run for the money in the atrocious-game-management department. But Crennel actually tried blaming that gaffe on an unidentified player, to the great surprise and dismay of his team, who to a man had no idea what he was talking about.

LVSteelersfan
11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
We could have a lot of whining as well. There was a BLATANT pass interference on the Hines Ward play in the end zone where we only got a field goal. But Steelers don't whine about such things. They just play on and give it their best shot. (except for some inexplicable reason on the special teams)

klick81
11-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Nice! What a bunch of whiny ass cry babies.

fansince'76
11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Nobody loses anymore, they just get robbed by the refs. The "Holmgren Syndrome" at it's finest.

ShutDown24
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Seriously lol, no one really does care... And the league isn't going to do anything about it even if they are right so why even bother?

Jman
11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Nobody loses anymore, they just get robbed by the refs. The "Holmgren Syndrome" at it's finest.

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

There were missed calls both ways. Perhaps Romeo should consider that before going to NFL officiating.

onthebus36
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Troy could have been called for pass interference on one play but I could also have called offensive pass interference on one of their players earlier in the game.

There are bad calls/non calls on the field in every game. Just look at the Colts/Bolts game last night and that was nationally televised.

Yesterday, there were some bad calls and some non-calls and both teams had to deal with them equally like every team in the NFL does every week.

onthebus36
11-12-2007, 02:07 PM
And when you have to write, "Crennel didn?t come off as whining about the officiating" it's obvious he was whining about the officiating.

jjpro11
11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
lol.. the browns are bigger douche bags than i thought.

Lord Stiller
11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
lol.. the browns are bigger douche bags than i thought.

No kidding. They lost fair and square

CB1977
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

And while Romeo's on the subject, he should try explaining to his players, whom he actually threw under the bus last night, how he single-handedly mis-managed the game by wasting not one, but two timeouts on that ridiculous challenge. Not unlike the Seahawks, he gives Holmgren a run for the money in the atrocious-game-management department. But Crennel actually tried blaming that gaffe on an unidentified player, to the great surprise and dismay of his team, who to a man had no idea what he was talking about.

I still can't believe he did that!!!!!!!!:banging:

BTW....I'm not commenting on the two previous posts....I made my point clear in another thread. (Not going to repeat my thoughts).

The Duke
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh come on, game is over, move on!!

Preacher
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Browns are just scared... they had a good year this year... and now there worried they are going to go another 5 years without beating us!! :sofunny::sofunny:

CB1977
11-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Gotcha and agree.

Hear that guys? You beat us..ok?

Bring on the Ravens.

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Preacher....I'm not worried or scared about that dear.)

BlastFurnace
11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Gotcha and agree.

Hear that guys? You beat us..ok?

Bring on the Ravens.

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Preacher....I'm not worried or scared about that dear.)

IMO...the browns played a good game..just not a complete game.

I also think they will be a force to be reckoned with for the next several years...but...I'm not sure if Romeo is the coach to take them to the next level.

They have nothing to be ashamed about. If I were a Browns fan, I would be encouraged.

HometownGal
11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Go eat a box of HoHo's tubby. Your own screw-up in challenging Heath's TD sealed your team's doom.

http://sellingstupid.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/crying_baby.jpg

fansince'76
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Seriously lol, no one really does care... And the league isn't going to do anything about it even if they are right so why even bother?

Well, the Browns might get a nice little letter from the Commish's office saying the refs screwed up. Dan Rooney got 3 of them during the course of the 2000 season, and guess what? Each one of the 3 games in question still counted as a "L," and we still finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs that year.

Stlrs4Life
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
They all can kiss my &ss. There was a illegal block in the back during the KO return TD that was not called. Big deal.

Dino 6 Rings
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
It must really be hard to root for a team in the AFC North that isn't the Steelers...I mean, year after year, you have to come up with excuses for being 2nd Best.

"They block to hard" "They run to hard" "they throw too well" "they block to hard"

Whatever babies...at least you didn't call "Heads" on a thanksgiving day over time coin toss to have the ref look your man right in the face and say "Tails, Lions get to pick"

fansince'76
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Whatever babies...at least you didn't call "Heads" on a thanksgiving day over time coin toss to have the ref look your man right in the face and say "Tails, Lions get to pick"

Or got gypped out of almost a minute of clock time while driving down the field for the tying FG or possible go-ahead touchdown against the biggest bunch of cheats in the league (who shall remain nameless here, but everybody knows who I'm talking about). The Steelers have had more than their fair share of ream jobs by officiating crews over the years, but we don't cry about them.

Atlanta Dan
11-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Or got gypped out of almost a minute of clock time while driving down the field for the tying FG or possible go-ahead touchdown against the biggest bunch of cheats in the league (who shall remain nameless here, but everybody knows who I'm talking about). The Steelers have had more than their fair share of ream jobs by officiating crews over the years, but we don't cry about them.

Except early in Cowher's career when he stuffed photos in a ref's shirt at the end of a half while bitching about a call:sofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Except early in Cowher's career when he stuffed photos in a ref's shirt at the end of a half while bitching about a call:sofunny:

I LOVED THAT!

How about the 05 Colts-Steelers playoff game? Troy had the INT and the ref made up his own rule to negate it. We damn near lost the game on a goal-line fumble that we wouldn't have needed if they let the INT stand.

Winner play through bad calls, losers whine about them because they can't.

jdsdaguy
11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
hey everyone, longtime member, this is my first post. i live in canton ohio. i have alot of friends that are browns fans. I was so irritated at work today listening to these guys complain about loosing a game against the better team. It annoys me so much to hear them say that pittsburgh cheated, when pittsburgh has been cheated so much. After all the conversation today, the bottom line was the steelers won. Now here in northeast ohio they are calling it a moral victory, HOW PATHETIC IS THAT? GO STEELERS

jjpro11
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
what did you expect? browns fans were as bad as seahawks fans after super bowl 40. all i ever hear around here is whining.

HometownGal
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Now here in northeast ohio they are calling it a moral victory,

Correction. A half of a moral victory since they only played half of a game. :chicken:

Preacher
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Correction. A half of a moral victory since they only played half of a game. :chicken:

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny: Now you're just being cruel.

I love it!!

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
No way on the holding call. If it was a legit "conspiracy call" the Browns radio guys would have been all over it. They weren't. And Bodden interfered with Ward in the EZ. And Souljah committed offensive pass interference on an incompletion that wasn't called. And there was a block in the back on that kickoff return for a TD.

But none of that means anything.

I did think it was interesting reading the Cleveland papers today where the Browns and coaches claimed thy couldn't locate exactly where the timeout to challenge Heath's TD catch came from. I can. There was a white coach in a bright ugly orange pullover running up and down the sidelines flashing the TO signal to the refs, the players and the Crennel. I don't know who the guy was, but HE is the one that blew it.

Edman
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
When the Steelers beat somebody, they don't win. Other teams just lose to them, or were just robbed by the refs.

The Seahawks, the Niners, now the Browns. Funny stuff going around.

CB1977
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Can we say it again???