PDA

View Full Version : Bad coaching on the last drive

Al778416
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I really disliked the play calling in the steelers last offensive series, with the ball on the 11 yard line and within a first down of winning the game, Arians called two WP runs inside the tackles (which didn't work in the entire 2nd half) and a QB draw with three receivers on man to man coverage. Basically they handed the ball to Cribbs wtf????? Thank God the Browns had that holding penalty and a poor time management. If we want to win the close games we have to be smarter in these type of situations.
However I am as glad as all steerles fans of getting the W and the division lead. Just my two cents.

The Duke
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
the 2 runs were normal, just trying to wind down the clock, I agree the qb draw was weird, but hey, we got the win and that's what matters

:cheers:

fansince'76
11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
As opposed to passing and possibly throwing (an) incompletion(s) that would have basically given the Browns a free timeout, or even worse, an INT? Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Godfather
11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
The big problem was the timeout and the two minute warning. An incompletion would have given the clowns the ball with two minutes to get into FG range.

I'd have thrown a pass if we had one more play, just to catch them off guard, but running burned 45 seconds.

Mosca
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
"Sometimes all you have to do is run the ball for no gain and everything will be OK."

1) Up to that point, the Browns hadn't gained 10 yards in a series since the 5 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.

2) They were out of time outs after the first play.

3) They wouldn't be able to throw long because we were blanketing them, and they couldn't work the sidelines or they'd risk an INT (Pola almost got one), so they would have to work the middle of the field and let the clock tick.

4) You have to assume an average punt; we didn't get one, but you can't plan for that.

5) Figuring that we'd stuffed them all afternoon, you gotta feel good about putting the game in the hands of the defense with 50+ yards to go and under a minute left. And that's what happened.

Like fs'76 says, if you throw incomplete, they get the ball with close to 2 minutes left; and that is enough time to tie the game and send it into OT, where a coin toss and Cribbs might decide the outcome.

I, for one, was ecstatic to see run, run, run. I liked the last call the best, because it eliminated the handoff that risked a fumble. I thought it was heady football.

NateC
11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I can see your points, as far as giving it back to Cribbs... I think 3 runs was a good move, could have potentially got the First and ended the game.. but it didnt work out that way....

thank God we won so we dont have to talk about things like this.

Stlrs4Life
11-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I didn't like it either. We were all like WTF?

Atlanta Dan
11-12-2007, 04:33 PM
The bad coaching was (surprise!) on the special teams play before the last Steelers possession.

The Steelers had only 10 players on the field when the Browns quickly punted late in the fourth quarter, forcing Harrison to run on the field at the last minute. That caused Rossum, who said he was counting players, to refuse a fair catch and let the ball roll to the Steelers' 11.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07316/833184-66.stm

Further evidence the ST play was a disaster yesterday. Rossum not fair catching cost the Steelers 10-15 yards, which required even more conservative play calling.

At that point the goals were to avoid avoid turnovers, avoid losing any more ground with a sack, and run clock with no incompletions. I agree the QB draw on third down was not a good call unless Arians thought the Browns were going into their standard 15 yard drops at that point, which was not likely since the Browns had to make a stop.

The Steelers are just fortunate there was a hold called on the Browns last punt return.

Preacher
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
The bad coaching was (surprise!) on the special teams play before the last Steelers possession.

The Steelers had only 10 players on the field when the Browns quickly punted late in the fourth quarter, forcing Harrison to run on the field at the last minute. That caused Rossum, who said he was counting players, to refuse a fair catch and let the ball roll to the Steelers' 11.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07316/833184-66.stm

Further evidence the ST play was a disaster yesterday. Rossum not fair catching cost the Steelers 10-15 yards, which required even more conservative play calling.

At that point the goals were to avoid avoid turnovers, avoid losing any more ground with a sack, and run clock with no incompletions. I agree the QB draw on third down was not a good call unless Arians thought the Browns were going into their standard 15 yard drops at that point, which was not likely since the Browns had to make a stop.

The Steelers are just fortunate there was a hold called on the Browns last punt return.

I agree we had to keep the ball on the ground. However, I would have like to see some different runs in that situation. Maybe a draw play or let Willie try to break it outside, utilizing his speed.

But yeah, hindsight is 20/20.

Dino 6 Rings
11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
The Bad coaching is on the Browns side for calling a time out, prior to our extra point, then using a challenge, and losing, burning another time out.

Thank god for that, zero time outs for the Browns on their final drive. Had to spike on 3rd down after Jokavisious catches the ball in the middle of the field.

MACH1
11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
The qb draw was odd but its better than throwing a possible pick six and losing it that way. Then you'd really have something to complain about.

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Dan made the most poignant call. Rossum messed up BAD by not fair catching that ball. It cost us 20 yards for basically no reason. The Steelers play calling was understandable given what Rossum left us with. You run the ball and, and worst, try to maneuver for a good punt. At best, you pick up a 1st down and the game is over.

I thought it was interesting that Parker was counted upon to not fumble, which he didn't. Does Providence even post here if Parker doesn't fumble?

steelpride12
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM
It was sort of a toss us call, i mean we could have ran the ball and gave up sometime, but given them good field position.
Or try and pass for a first down and finish the clock or an incomplete to stop the clock or even worse an INT!

The QB sneak was weird, but seemed like an ok call as we won the game anyway thanks to the holding call!

PalmerSteel
11-12-2007, 06:29 PM
The Bad coaching is on the Browns side for calling a time out, prior to our extra point, then using a challenge, and losing, burning another time out.

Thank god for that, zero time outs for the Browns on their final drive. Had to spike on 3rd down after Jokavisious catches the ball in the middle of the field.

that is exactly what i was going to say. i couldnt believe it! how can a head coach in the NFL make such a boneheaded mistake! that costed them one more crucial play. that one more play could of gotten them the 5 yards they were short on the field goal. we would of won in OT of course :wink02:

Mosca
11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
IMO the QB draw was to make one less transfer of the ball; the snap to the shotgun is more precise than the center snap, and no handoff is one less chance to fumble on a bad field with a wet ball. The play had as much chance of getting 7 yards as any other, and was safer. I liked it. I wanted a first down, but I was comfortable with the situation if we didn't get it; putting the game in the hands of a defense that hadn't allowed a first down in 38 minutes.

jjpro11
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
i think ben's earlier interception in the same area might have scared arians a bit. i was hoping to see a rollout play where ben would only throw if it was an sure thing.. if not then he could just slide down or run for a possible first down if that was open.

I.C. Lights
11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
First off, I wasn't worried, honestly, because I knew the Browns would choke, you could see in their demeanor from the bench they knew they were lucky to even be close.

That being said, a better team would have beaten us for playing that conservatively with that much time left. I still believe we lost Denver because of a related time management issue. Moreover, we struggled up the middle all day while Ben was on fire and the Browns did not have a pass defense (Ben was playing differently than when he threw the pick). We're probably not going to be in a situation where the risk of a turnover will be lower, so it was disappointing for me that we couldn't be a little more aggressive.

MasterOfPuppets
11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
i didn't have near as much problem with the O play calling as i did the D play calling. how in the hell do you hold a team to 1 first down for 28 minutes,then let em go 35 yds to fg range in 2 ? how many games have we seen this happen ? at what point are coaches gonna realize that the PREVENT DOESN'T WORK !!! stick with what freakin got you there dammit !!!

ytsan2q
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
The way our defense played the second half, I think you had to put it in their hands to win the game.

Rhee Rhee
11-12-2007, 11:15 PM
idk i'd say it could go either way but i think they were jus tryin to burn that clock... and although he wasn't too close just imagine if he got it... wouldn't have been half as much fun to watch..

klick81
11-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I really didn't like the QB draw, but some of you make good points. With the way Ben was running on them, I can see why they went with that play as well.

Steeldude
11-13-2007, 11:39 AM
they should have tried running it off of the tackles, not up the middle. mahan has difficulty getting a good push. same with the weakest guard(simmons) in the NFL.