PDA

View Full Version : Some things about yesterday's game

BlastFurnace
11-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Someone has got to take that Red Flag out of Tomlin's pocket. I love the guy in nearly every way as a coach, but he's more impulsive than a crazed fan with that thing. Maybe someone should make sure he understands he loses a timeout when he isn't right.

Is there any chance......any.....that something can be worked out with Faneca. I was listening to the ESPN 1250 post game show and Savran was saying that Faneca was the most vocal of anyone in the huddle with getting everyone focused on the task at hand. I have never liked Simmons and I wish we could have given that money to Alan. I know...to little too late...but we will have a pretty big hole to fill come FA and draft time. I'm beginning to wonder if Kemo is ever going to develop.

Is it just me or does Willie look a slower this season? I'm not used to seeing him get caught, but this season, he seems to be running a lot stiffer.

The Dump Truck really frustrates me. He doesn't move the pile at all. I wonder what Gary Russell could do.

Mahan's shotgun snaps are a problem...even though it hasn't cost us yet. We need some more oomph on that Sean.

How long this season are we going to have to play the you can have the ball at the 35 yard line because we are scared to kick to you game?

HometownGal
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Someone has got to take that Red Flag out of Tomlin's pocket. I love the guy in nearly every way as a coach, but he's more impulsive than a crazed fan with that thing. Maybe someone should make sure he understands he loses a timeout when he isn't right.

If you are referring to the Edwards TD, I would have thrown the flag too. I'm still not 100% sure that was a legit score.

Is it just me or does Willie look a slower this season? I'm not used to seeing him get caught, but this season, he seems to be running a lot stiffer.

I don't think FWP is any slower - I believe that the holes are not opening fast enough for him to get a jump on 'em. Forgive me for sounding redundant, but when Kreider was in there, the holes opened up a lot quicker, imho.

How long this season are we going to have to play the you can have the ball at the 35 yard line because we are scared to kick to you game?

After the first Cribbs' return TD, I questioned that myself, but after he burned us again, I understood the reasoning behind what they were trying to accomplish. I'd much rather have had the Browns at our 35 and have to go 65 yards down the field to score than what happened not once, but twice yesterday. Any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Stlrs4Life
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Is there any chance......any.....that something can be worked out with Faneca. I was listening to the ESPN 1250 post game show and Savran was saying that Faneca was the most vocal of anyone in the huddle with getting everyone focused on the task at hand. I have never liked Simmons and I wish we could have given that money to Alan. I know...to little too late...but we will have a pretty big hole to fill come FA and draft time. I'm beginning to wonder if Kemo is ever going to develop.

?

He sure was, and when our D was out there for the last 2 series, they showed him encouraging the crowd.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I really want to resign Faneca. He may not be captain, but he's still being a leader. If we resign him, I know he'd gladly take the captain role back.

steelermuzik
11-12-2007, 05:39 PM
"Someone has got to take that Red Flag out of Tomlin's pocket."

Regarding the above quote, I have questioned some of his challenges myself. However I think that we benefited from the time out as our offense probably needed the extra time to recover in order to strike again. As well as some time to not let the emotional swing have a negative effect on the ensuing drive. Same thing with the other questionable challenge a couple weeks ago (can't remember the game) that gave our defense time to catch their breaths since the other team was driving on them. After the challenge, we stuffed 'em (really wish I could remember which game...). Just my .02.

Atlanta Dan
11-12-2007, 05:50 PM
I really want to resign Faneca. He may not be captain, but he's still being a leader. If we resign him, I know he'd gladly take the captain role back.

Faneca is going to be enthusiastic during the games because he is a competitor and been hard wired to be enthusiastic since pee-wee ball. In addition, he may grudgingly admit Tomlin being selected over his buddy Grimm as HC was not a terrible decision.

But selecting Tomlin over Grimm also reinforces for Faneca it is a business - after the season is over Faneca will see what the market brings & take the highest bid.

The OL is a mess that the Steelers have allowed to build for several years, but as Ed.B. of the P-G noted in Sunday's P-G:

They probably will take another run at guard Alan Faneca after the season, although their chances of signing him appear to be slim. They gave it one last college try just before the season opened when Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, met with Faneca one-on-one. It worked in 2005 when Dan Rooney met with Hines Ward, but not this time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07315/832948-66.stm

I agree they wasted $$ on Simmons, but that was not out of Faneca's pocket - Faneca had told the Steelers to stuff it by the time Simmons was signed.

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry, but Faneca looked old and slow yesterday, and against inferior competition. He was burnt several times. The whole oline looked bad against a really poor defensive line. Even Smith, whom I regard as having a really good season looked a little lost a couple times yesterday.

PalmerSteel
11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
i agree about the red flag. he has GOT to make sure his boys upstairs get a look at it first before he throws the flag if their is enough time. their seemed to be enough time to wait after that kickoff. after one replay you could tell he stayed in bounds.

the short kickoffs are a waste. we cant continue that. PLEASE just make the special teams coverage at least just decent.

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
The Reed kicks straight up were the best thing we could have done. The alternative was to kick out of bounds and give the ball to the Browns at the 40, or, worse yet, risk letting our shitty ST try to catch him. Those sky kicks actually worked. Cribbs was pretty ineffective when the coverage was right on him. I think the Browns average starting position after ko's that were kicked straight up was around the 28. that's a lot better than the Steelers 3.

Edman
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
The Cribbs 100 yard KO TD return was a result of missed tackles, not Cribbs' expertise. Someone (I think it was Rossum) had a clean shot at him and slipped. That tackle is made, The Browns are stuck at the 2 yard line facing a charged up Steelers Defense pumped full of momentum.

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Oh boy, that's just wrong. I saw it in person and again on the jumbotron. That return was all Cribbs. The whole Steelers team funneled down into the corner, and he ran right through them. 99% of return men would have tried to swing wide and outrun the coverage but Cribbs ran right into the teeth of it. And he made it work.

Several Steelers gave up on the play, but that doesn't detract from his performance at all.

Preacher
11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
The Cribbs 100 yard KO TD return was a result of missed tackles, not Cribbs' expertise. Someone (I think it was Rossum) had a clean shot at him and slipped. That tackle is made, The Browns are stuck at the 2 yard line facing a charged up Steelers Defense pumped full of momentum.

Actually...

It was Arnold Harrison I beleive....

jjpro11
11-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Actually...

It was Arnold Harrison I beleive....

andre frazier (#54) had the best shot to knock him out of bounds and completely whiffed.

Preacher
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
andre frazier (#54) had the best shot to knock him out of bounds and completely whiffed.

Your right... that is who I was thinking about!! :thumbsup:

SteelFist
11-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Yes, It was Frazier. Its time to allow some of the vets to play ST's.

Rhee Rhee
11-13-2007, 12:10 AM
idk willie parker looks slower to me too but idk maybe our o-line aint creatin those holes... like the run where like ran into the crowd and spun away and had that opennin.. i thought he was gonna take it the distance but somehow he didnt and doesn't look as fast as b4 look at some highlights of him and he looks blazin but now a step slower.... idk he'd still burn me... and agree with u about the tomlin and red flag thing i mean gosh he just zings it whenever there's anything qustionable

BlastFurnace
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
idk willie parker looks slower to me too but idk maybe our o-line aint creatin those holes... like the run where like ran into the crowd and spun away and had that opennin.. i thought he was gonna take it the distance but somehow he didnt and doesn't look as fast as b4 look at some highlights of him and he looks blazin but now a step slower.... idk he'd still burn me... and agree with u about the tomlin and red flag thing i mean gosh he just zings it whenever there's anything qustionable

Watch highlights of him from the 2005 season...specifically the season opening win against Tennessee and watch a game from this year. He looks much faster in the 2005 highlights.

Still a great running back...don't get me wrong.

Jman
11-13-2007, 10:52 AM
If you are referring to the Edwards TD, I would have thrown the flag too. I'm still not 100% sure that was a legit score.

I don't think FWP is any slower - I believe that the holes are not opening fast enough for him to get a jump on 'em. Forgive me for sounding redundant, but when Kreider was in there, the holes opened up a lot quicker, imho.

After the first Cribbs' return TD, I questioned that myself, but after he burned us again, I understood the reasoning behind what they were trying to accomplish. I'd much rather have had the Browns at our 35 and have to go 65 yards down the field to score than what happened not once, but twice yesterday. Any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Actually, I was happy Tomlin didn't throw the flag. If I was a ref, I would have called it a TD. It was a great catch - as a Steelers fan, I'm not happy about it, but as a fan of the game, I have to be real, and really, it looked like a TD to me.

Once again HTG, I'm with you on the Dan Krieder situation. I have no idea what's going on, but I really am not pleased with Dan missing in the backfield. He needs to be back there.

As for Faneca, I think he's working hard at what he does. He is a great run blocker, and an o-k pass blocker.

Either way, it's a Steelers victory! :thumbsup:

Lord Stiller
11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Actually, I was happy Tomlin didn't throw the flag. If I was a ref, I would have called it a TD. It was a great catch - as a Steelers fan, I'm not happy about it, but as a fan of the game, I have to be real, and really, it looked like a TD to me.

Crennell threw the red flag as the play was initially ruled incomplete. Replays confirmed that is was definitely a catch

You have to give Ike Taylor a lot of credit. That was Edwards only catch of the game and there was no way anybody could possibly defend it

Steeldude
11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
faneca is too old for that kind of money. he has lost a step.

the bright side is that guards are easier to replace than tackles. i am hoping they can draft a stud LT in the draft. this way smith can move to RT.

too early to focus on now

Jman
11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Crennell threw the red flag as the play was initially ruled incomplete. Replays confirmed that is was definitely a catch.

Thanks for the clarification - Sorry about the mix up. Indeed, it did look like a TD. I remember them going to the divot cam and it looked like it as well. Either way, I would have called it a TD.

tony hipchest
11-13-2007, 07:16 PM

theres been alot said about tomlin and his quick draw. in 9 pro games he has been given 54 time outs and 36 challenges to use. i read earlier he is 0-4 for challenges.

id like to see how many t.o.'s tomlin has left on the board. its obvious he hasnt wasted any challenges and the clock issue has yet to cost us a game.

i dont see the big deal. a great team doesnt even need all their time outs unless theyre using them for strategy.

jjpro11
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
he had to challenge the cribbs td. that could have easily cost us the game. he was only in bounds by barely an inch. every coach in the nfl would have challenged that.