PDA

View Full Version : A thought just occurred to me.... Joey Porter

PisnNapalm
11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Bear with me on this....At the end of last season the Steelers and quite a few fans felt that it was time for Joey Porter and the team to go their separate ways. He was such a huge part of our defense for 7 years. He was on our team for 8 years but really started to shine in his second season.

He became the voice and swagger of our defense. When we look back upon our Super Bowl XL win many of us first think of the offense. It was the last "Hurrah" for Jerome Bettis and the passing of the torch to Willie Parker. It was Big Ben maturing into a game breaking quarterback. It was Randel el and Ward making huge plays through deception and finesse.

However... When I think back upon the XL win and road to get there, I think of our defense first. While I have a mediocre body I have the mentality of a linebacker. And Joey Porter is the first one I think of. Remember those monster sacks he laid on Peyton Manning? I do. They were beautiful.

So.... Why am I writing this? I feel genuine sympathy for his demise of being stuck on the worst team in professional football. I realize that he is well paid and all that but he has a warriors heart. It has to be torture for him in that locker room, during practice and on the field.

Joey's website says it all. http://www.joeyporter.com/ He'll forever be a Steeler in my eye. He's more than worthy of being mentioned with the names Lambert, Ham, Russell, Lloyd, Merriweather, and Kirkland. He's a linebacker for the ages.

Thank you Mr. Porter for all you've given to all of us.

http://www.oiskas.com/uploads/joey-proter-tackling-payton-manning.jpg

revefsreleets
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Eh. I'm gonna take a pass on this one. He talked too loud and too often. Like Ray Lewis, he seems to lack the ability to understand his own lack of ability as it diminishes. And I never cared for his chatter and smack, anyway. Better Steelers players over the years have talked less and produced more. He almost crossed a line that the Steelers work hard to uphold concerning class and the way the game should be played. He'll get his accolades later, but he should just shut his mouth and enjoy his overly fat paycheck in the meantime.

MasterOfPuppets
11-12-2007, 08:00 PM
porter made his own bed when he ran his mouth about his contract long before it was up. his inflated ego,and inflated self value is what bought his ticket out of pittsburgh.i'm happy for him that he was able to con a team out of huge contract. perhaps had he looked at more than dollar signs when deciding his destination,he wouldn't be on the worst team in the league. while porter was an above average linebacker, i don't feel he was above average long enough to be mentioned with some of our former elite....but thats just my opinion.

Crushzilla
11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow I didn't realize his website still looked like that.

Updated October 30, 2007... Hmm...

Anyway, yes Porter was a great linebacker and a large part of that Super Bowl team, especially.

As far as being stuck with the Dolphins, it was his choice to go to Miami. I'm sure he could have taken a smaller contract to be somewhere where he wasn't basking in the Florida Sun all day, enjoying the Miami nightlife, and counting all that new money, but working his ass off with a higher quality team, trying to prove that he's still got it and maybe win another Championship. Granted, I am shocked how bad the Miami Defense is with that front seven.

Necessary evil. Just like when Faneca walks this year. Alan Faneca has been outstanding for us. He's been a staple of that line for years and he's leaving, on his terms. Its really the same thing.

I can't feel too bad about the Rooneys cutting ties with guys when it happens. First and foremost, they have a business. Those guys work for the Rooneys and even though they play their hearts out, sometimes... they gotta go. Someone can do their job better, they want too much money, etc. They did it to Joey, they did it to Franco, they will do it again.

Its certainly a different defense without Joey around and I do feel bad if Joey is deeply depressed about this, but its the "biz," I guess. Great writeup, Pisn.

Just curious, since I was away when this happened, who else showed interest in Porter?

Preacher
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I said the same thing about Merril Hodge... IN the heart of the players.. .once a steeler, always a steeler.

It was time for Harrison to play. I thank Porter for being here. He is now an opposing player until he retires, then he becomes another great Steeler player in history.

Crushzilla
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
He is now an opposing player until he retires, then he becomes another great Steeler player in history.

Funny how that works, eh?

PisnNapalm
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
It feels wrong seeing Porter in a Dolphins uniform. It feels just as wrong as when I saw Franco Harris in a Seahawks uniform or Rod Woodson as a Raider.

Woodson was one of the decisions the team got wrong though.

Anyway.... I too felt that it was time for Porter to end his time with the Steelers. I did not however wish this tragic season upon him though.

Borski
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I always loved Porter but it was time for him to go, its hard letting a great player go but his best days are behind him and there was better talent waiting in the wings. I hope he retires soon so I can wear his jersey again.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
It was time for Porter to go. His mouth got bigger than his production.

I loved Porter when he was in Pittsburgh.

He chose to go to the Dolphins. I don't think anyone predicted their defense would be this bad, but I think everyone knew this team was offensivley challenged.

Steelers
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Just curious, since I was away when this happened, who else showed interest in Porter?

Baltimore and Cleveland.

He was a great player and it was sad to see him leave, there's no point feeling bad for him. He chose money over success.

Borski
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Baltimore and Cleveland.

He was a great player and it was sad to see him leave, there's no point feeling bad for him. He chose money over success.

if he went there I dont know if I could forgive him, wow. I'm glad he chose not to

stillers4me
11-12-2007, 09:00 PM
He was cut. He didn't choose to leave.

While I don't doubt the decision to cut him, I do feel he will always consider himself a Steeler first and foremost. Thanks for the memories, Joey!

Godfather
11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Baltimore and Cleveland.

Can't blame him. He already had a ring, and this contract is likely to be his last.

Might as well cash in while he can, and we weren't going to do it because we needed the cap room for Ben and Troy, and we had Harrison to replace Peezy.

MasterOfPuppets
11-12-2007, 09:42 PM
He was cut. He didn't choose to leave.

While I don't doubt the decision to cut him, I do feel he will always consider himself a Steeler first and foremost. Thanks for the memories, Joey!
how he left ,was pretty much just a formality. porter made it well known he thought he was a top 5 lber,and should be paid like one. i'd say the steelers felt there was no point in even negotiating with him since the 2 parties weren't even close when it came to judging his worth.