PDA

View Full Version : Question about Steelers vs. Miami game

BlastFurnace
11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
With the NFL's flex schedule, can the Monday night game be moved to Sunday. With the Dolphins being this bad, I would think that anyone not being a Steelers fan would not watch this game.

Does anyone know if this could happen?

Borski
11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
No, only Sunday games can be affected, any Monday games are fixed for the season

fansince'76
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
No, only Sunday games can be affected, any Monday games are fixed for the season

Would certainly explain that epic 'Niners/Seahawks snoozefest last night. :yawn:

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
ESPN is paying more for the rights to Monday night than Fox or CBS (and way more than NBC, which gets flex scheduling plus sharing the SB with Fox abd CBS) are paying for their rights.

My only guess is ESPN was told by the NFL the rights would be sold to Versus or Fox Sports to help them bulk up as a competitor if ESPN did not fork over the $$.

Jman
11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Would certainly explain that epic 'Niners/Seahawks snoozefest last night. :yawn:

Goodness gracious! Tell me about it. Double :yawn: for me. LoL, in fact, I ended up falling asleep and forgot to do the dishes! :dang:

revefsreleets
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
If the Steelers are 8-2 and getting ready for a showdown with NE two weeks after this game, there will be some buzz around the team and people will watch to see just how good the Steelers really are.

OneForTheToe
11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
ESPN is paying more for the rights to Monday night than Fox or CBS (and way more than NBC, which gets flex scheduling plus sharing the SB with Fox abd CBS) are paying for their rights.

My only guess is ESPN was told by the NFL the rights would be sold to Versus or Fox Sports to help them bulk up as a competitor if ESPN did not fork over the $$.

ESPN's contract for MNF is longer than the Networks. NBC, CBS and FOX signed the traditional 6 year contract thru 2011(NBC, might be to 2012), while ESPN has a contract through 2014.

Also, I'm not sure about this one, but I think I read that ESPN got some kind of additional consideration with their agreement, as in more access, use of film or something. IDK, I'm not sure about the latter, but I am about the length of the contract.

I do agree though .. it seems a bit steep when you don't even get playoff games beyond the Wild Card level, let alone a Super Bowl. Of course the value beyond just having the games for ESPN is that they have so much programming that can feed off the MNF package such as PTI.

If you ask me the Network that is really over-paying is NBC. Billions of dollars, and even with flex scheduling, the highest rated games of the week are usually the 4:15 games on Fox or CBS (I have always though those were the best two packages for the billion dollar buck).

Editted to add: if NBC really does have a contract through2012 (got that part from wikepedia, so I am cautious) then they might be getting two Super Bowls in a row - 2012 and 2013 Super Bowl. If true, that would expalin NBC's high licensing fee.

MJ5150
11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
I think that Dolphins game in a couple weeks on Monday is going to be a snoozer too.

It's cool to see our Steelers thrash division opponents, but I'm not exactly excited about seeing the Steelers host the most likely winless Dolphins in a couple weeks.

-Mike

bratsinmybelly
11-15-2007, 01:22 AM
My disdain for the Dolphins only grows with the Monday night match-up. Have the Dolphins done anything in the last 20 years? For some reason, they continue to get coverage and press even though they are the most consistently under-achieving team in the NFL. Every pre-season we have to listen to how they are going to contend, or how improved they are , or how much talent they have, or what a class organization they are, only to watch them fall flat on their asses and send the media into a head-scratching frenzy which we also have to painfully watch. When will people figure out that the Dolphins are terrible? They've been terrible and will be terrible for the foreseeable future. Between them and the Raiders it's almost too much to take. The only possible pleasure I might get from our game with them is that we will get to showcase our talent, and hopefully will continue to improve against these perennial punching bags.

revefsreleets
11-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Maybe Ricky will be back. That will at least provide some comic relief.

GeneralRobinson
11-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Ricky Williams will rejoin Dolphins
By EDGAR THOMPSON Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 15, 2007

DAVIE ? Ricky Williams will rejoin the Dolphins and could play against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 26.

Williams will begin practicing Monday, coach Cam Cameron said today.

Williams hasn't played since 2005 and was reinstated by the NFL on Wednesday after serving an 18-month suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

The Dolphins are 0-9 and hurting at running back with Ronnie Brown out for the season with a knee injury.

"Circumstances have changed," said Cameron, who has stressed his preference for "character" players. "Then was then and now is now. But I still rely on the leadership of the locker room."

Cameron said he spoke with several veterans about welcoming back Williams.

"There is no division," he said.

Williams has played in only 12 NFL games since 2003.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," Cameron said. "He hasn't played football in awhile. We're going to take this one day at a time."

Said Williams: "I have no desire to talk about my personal life," Williams said. "I'm here to be part of this team."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/11/15/1115fins.html

Rhee Rhee
11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
besides i'd still love to watch the steelers win 41-0 over the helpless dolphins... besides are sack totals could skyrocket in that game if john beck is still playin

Providence Steel
11-15-2007, 05:06 PM

When speaking of Ricky Williams, I believe you mean "cosmic" relief:smile::hypno::peace::smoker::flippy: