PDA

View Full Version : Ben got booed?

Jman
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I was talking about this past Sunday's game, and he mentioned that he felt the turning point was when the crowd booed the game. Where I live, I am in Eagles' country, so we went to a sport restaraunt. The sound was a lil low, but I don't remember hearing any booing on the challenges in the beginning of the game...

Did Ben get booed?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't think Ben himself got booed, but I think the INT got booed.

OneForTheToe
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
IDK, but probably on the int in the the first half.

revefsreleets
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't remember booing, but it was a poor throw. I know there were some boo's as the half ended.

HometownGal
11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't remember booing, but it was a poor throw. I know there were some boo's as the half ended.

Bunch of non-believers - should have been asked to hand in their TT's at game's end. I can see being a little upset at the way the game was going at that point, but to actually boo your own team???? :jawdrop::shake02:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think I have ever booed the Steelers or the players...just the opposing team and the refs.

Jman
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Bunch of non-believers - should have been asked to hand in their TT's at game's end. I can see being a little upset at the way the game was going at that point, but to actually boo your own team???? :jawdrop::shake02:

:iagree:

Absolutely obsurd to boo your team, let alone your QB. Ridiciulous.

So I guess it is true. After the INT there were boos from the stands.

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Heck, it was probably Ben booing his own throw. Even he knew he messed up on that one.

There will be some boos this weekend in New Jersey when the Jets fans look up at the scoreboard in the 2nd quarter and realize their team is already out of the game!

WhoRide
11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Maybe have been the crowd yelling for Heath too. It sounds like a boo.

HometownGal
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Maybe have been the crowd yelling for Heath too. It sounds like a boo.

Don't think so if it was at the half. Booing a 6-2 team, only down by 12 with an entire half to play is just ridiculous (and fair weathered) imho. :dang:

Counselor
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Don't think so if it was at the half. Booing a 6-2 team, only down by 12 with an entire half to play is just ridiculous (and fair weathered) imho. :dang:

Yeah, the booing can get out of hand. you'd think we were in NY sometimes. I was at the Ravens game and when they announced Cowher there was some booing before it was drowned out by loud cheering. I know people are still a bit PO'd by last season, but show some class----the guy gave us 15 years of his life and a lot of great football.

Same goes for the team---when we're the Dolphins at 0-8 I'll accept booing, but not right now.

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I didn't hear any boo's. Then again I kind of got out of hand with the pre-game jager bombs (sisters b-day, plus game day) so we could have been attacked by Japan and I would have been clueless. Although I do recall a few "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEATH'S!!!!" during the game.

But if some did, shame on them I guess? I choose not to, but if they want to act like that, go for it. Really doesn't bother me all that much. I'm too busy having a good time to worry about a few idiots who were supposedly boo'ing Ben or whoever and whatever...lol.

steelersfanmx
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Bunch of non-believers - should have been asked to hand in their TT's at game's end. I can see being a little upset at the way the game was going at that point, but to actually boo your own team????

Don't think so if it was at the half. Booing a 6-2 team, only down by 12 with an entire half to play is just ridiculous (and fair weathered) imho.

REAL fans don't boo its own team:thmbdown:

lapzter
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I didn't hear any boing on the tv or in the bar that I can remember.

X-Terminator
11-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Why do people think it's so bad to boo your own team? That's just telling them you know they can do better than that. Hopefully, it's motivation or something.

Booing is counterproductive. It DOES NOT motivate the team, and contrary to what you see and hear, most players do not like hearing them, mainly because it shows a lack of faith. And before anyone even says it, just because they make millions of dollars doesn't mean they should be immune to the booing. They are human beings, not robots.

klick81
11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
While I agree that booing is counterproductive, isn't Ben pretty much saying that it helped him/them snap out of their lack luster performance?

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Maybe some fans thought it was the 2002 Wild Card game and they were screaming FUUUUUUUUU!!!! :bouncy::banana::chicken:

Eitherway....

http://www.supersuckers.com/images/fan/fans/shithappens.jpg

HometownGal
11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Booing is counterproductive. It DOES NOT motivate the team, and contrary to what you see and hear, most players do not like hearing them, mainly because it shows a lack of faith. And before anyone even says it, just because they make millions of dollars doesn't mean they should be immune to the booing. They are human beings, not robots.

http://www.magic.org/store/images/1ApplauseCard.gif

I don't boo any of my teams (no - not even the Pirates - LOL!) no matter how badly they are playing. I much prefer to get behind them and let them know I am behind them 100%. :tt02:

HometownGal
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
versus the way you'd boo when, for example, Tommy Maddox is in the game.

Oh for God's sake - the guy has been out of football for several years. Bet you weren't booing him when he came within an Oscar winning performance by Nedney of leading the Steelers to the AFCC in 2002. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Some of you people just amaze me.

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't boo...but I sure as heck cursed my brains out on our Kick off coverage team this past sunday...I guarentee the players would rather have heard "boo" over the colorful words I was screaming.

They are pros, they can take the occassional "boo" as opposed to people clapping and cheering for witnessing anything less then the best performance the team is capable of. If there was booing this weekend, it wasn't the "you suck" kind of MIami Dolphin booing, it was more likely the "we expect more from you" type of boo...

anyway, enough boo.

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't boo...but I sure as heck cursed my brains out on our Kick off coverage team this past sunday...I guarentee the players would rather have heard "boo" over the colorful words I was screaming.

They are pros, they can take the occassional "boo" as opposed to people clapping and cheering for witnessing anything less then the best performance the team is capable of. If there was booing this weekend, it wasn't the "you suck" kind of MIami Dolphin booing, it was more likely the "we expect more from you" type of boo...

anyway, enough boo.

I can buy that. I'm with you, I don't boo, but you made some good points. I also look at it as some of those people are paying $200 per ticket, they can act like idiots if they want to. Who am I tell them what to do? Then there are some who are so damn drunk by the end of the first half they don't even know the score let alone what they are booing or cheering over.

Isn't it great to know that this 'topic' is our biggest problem right now and not a 2-7 record? Life is good. :toofunny:

moedap
11-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I booed and I am no fairweather fan. I booed the lack of intensity showed by both the offense and defense in the first half. I watched the game on TV and I heard the boos in the crowd about the same time I booed. And if I heard it on my TV while I am at work(volume is down real low) then the Boos in the crowd must have been considerable.

Obviously the team responded to the Boo's as Ben alluded. I wouldnt be surprised if Tomlin booed them in the lockerroom at the half(from the sound of his press conference he did boo and is still booing).

I spend too much money on merchandise every year to accept them playing with no emotions or pride(which they didnt in the first half). The coach maybe able to show no emotions but as a player you better show some emotions. Especially when you are playing a Divisional opponent who is trying to tie you for the lead and gain legitimacy by beating u.

Now had they been playing their hearts out and were still losing I wouldnt boo.

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Isn't it great to know that this 'topic' is our biggest problem right now and not a 2-7 record? Life is good. :toofunny:[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

moedap
11-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Isn't it great to know that this 'topic' is our biggest problem right now and not a 2-7 record? Life is good. :toofunny:

Aint that the Truth, Baby!!!

HometownGal
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I booed and I am no fairweather fan. I booed the lack of intensity showed by both the offense and defense in the first half. I watched the game on TV and I heard the boos in the crowd about the same time I booed. And if I heard it on my TV while I am at work(volume is down real low) then the Boos in the crowd must have been considerable.

Obviously the team responded to the Boo's as Ben alluded. I wouldnt be surprised if Tomlin booed them in the lockerroom at the half(from the sound of his press conference he did boo and is still booing).

I spend too much money on merchandise every year to accept them playing with no emotions or pride(which they didnt in the first half). The coach maybe able to show no emotions but as a player you better show some emotions. Especially when you are playing a Divisional opponent who is trying to tie you for the lead and gain legitimacy by beating u.

Now had they been playing their hearts out and were still losing I wouldnt boo.

I can guarantee you 100% that the team was not responding to being booed - they responded to the calm demeanor of their HC in the locker room who told them not to panic and to get out there and play their game, and as their play indicated in the second half, they heeded Tomlin's advice.

I've said it before and I have no problem saying it again - Steelers fans are SPOILED. I'd spend the money on Steelers merchandise and gear whether they were a 16-0 team or an 0-16 team. Why you might ask? Because I'm a realist and stand behind my teams 1,000% through thick and thin, realizing that the odds are against them winning every single game or getting into the playoffs every season.

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey Hometown Gal, I'm not a realist. I wake up every August 1st, every year, with the belief that the Steelers will be winning the Superbowl. I am not spoiled...I am a basket case with insane dillusions of grandeur...big difference.

moedap
11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I can guarantee you 100% that the team was not responding to being booed - they responded to the calm demeanor of their HC in the locker room who told them not to panic and to get out there and play their game, and as their play indicated in the second half, they heeded Tomlin's advice.

I've said it before and I have no problem saying it again - Steelers fans are SPOILED. I'd spend the money on Steelers merchandise and gear whether they were a 16-0 team or an 0-16 team. Why you might ask? Because I'm a realist and stand behind my teams 1,000% through thick and thin, realizing that the odds are against them winning every single game or getting into the playoffs every season.

I dont think u want to guarantee that. The fact that Ben mentioned it meant it affected him. No doubt Tomlin had more impact but dont kid urself into thinking it didnt motivate the players a little. And again its not about winning or losing its about the way you go about winning or losing. I can respect a team that goes 0-16 and plays all out more than a team that goes 8-8 with uninspired play. Steelers forever!

steelpride12
11-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I was at the game and if there was any booing i didn't hear it. The crowd still have faith in him and the only time we booed was the refs calls and when we wouldn't go for 4th and inches plays!

Stillers43
11-13-2007, 05:04 PM
The only boo that I heard at the game was for Steely McBeam as our mascot before the game started.

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I was at the game and if there was any booing i didn't hear it. The crowd still have faith in him and the only time we booed was the refs calls and when we wouldn't go for 4th and inches plays!

That's pretty much what I thought. I do not recall them getting boo'd.

Steelersfan4life0655
11-13-2007, 05:10 PM
i doubt that happened. we are not like other fans who will do that to our own team.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I know I heard some boo birds during the game...But I think some of it was due to the weird play calling at times during the game.....

NateC
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
if you watch NFL Films documentaries of Old Skool Steeler Teams, youll see our Fans did Boo before bradshaw grew into his role as Leader.

I Boo'd Odonnol in 95 during that super bowl .

Ummm, I yelled and drumbled at slash a few times...

But we always want them to turn it around...
Well odonnol i wanted to just move on from him.

Idk, i would be embarrased if we were booing in the browns game. That is childish when your a winning team...

We were VERY quiet in that game, ben and the team kept having to pump everyone up, also Aaron Smith was trying to get the crowd in it...

Bad game by Steeler Fans on sunday... We will have another chance to show em how loud we can get...

We have caused False starts before, we need to bring that intensity in regardless of the score sometimes....

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2007, 08:50 PM
I know I heard some boo birds during the game...But I think some of it was due to the weird play calling at times during the game.....

Definite boos on the replay with the 2nd and 23 draw play call to Davenport:sofunny:

As for the audacity of booing the hometown QB, that is nothing - a big % of TRS cheered loudly when Bradshaw was tackled and separated his shoulder in a 1973 home game with the Bengals

X-Terminator
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I dont think u want to guarantee that. The fact that Ben mentioned it meant it affected him. No doubt Tomlin had more impact but dont kid urself into thinking it didnt motivate the players a little. And again its not about winning or losing its about the way you go about winning or losing. I can respect a team that goes 0-16 and plays all out more than a team that goes 8-8 with uninspired play. Steelers forever!

If teams were motivated by booing, the Jets, Rams and Dolphins would have more than 2 wins between them. Because I'm quite sure that's all they've heard this season, especially the Jets.

Sorry, but I just don't see anything positive in booing your favorite team, and if you really believe it had ANYTHING to do with the team coming out of the tunnel in the second half more focused, then you're really reaching. Several players, including Ben, are on record as saying that Tomlin's calmness in the face of adversity is what got them going. That shows confidence and trust in the team to do whatever it takes to get the job done, and that is the only thing that matters. Ben's mentioning the booing is just that - mentioning it. No more, no less.

Stlrs4Life
11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
There was a few boos, on the INT, I don't think they weere booing Ben in general. And a few boos in the 3rd Qtr on the draw play when it was like 2nd and 23.

iloveben7
11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
I hope Ben didn't get booed, that's ridiculous. How can you boo your own team? That's pathetic.

jjpro11
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
the draw play mentioned above was the only time i remember. that was more of booing the play calling than players.

Rhee Rhee
11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
eh maybe the boos were for inspirtational purposes

Bedo1234
11-14-2007, 02:42 AM
I was at the game and I heard no booes for ben, just the special teams. Which was pathetic, to say the least.

Galax Steeler
11-14-2007, 04:06 AM
I think our special teams is the only thing that needs to be bood at this point.

Jman
11-14-2007, 05:35 AM
I guess I'm quite surprised some folks here think it's ok to boo your team. Baffles me - truly.

stillers4me
11-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Guys that give the finger to their fans deserve to be booed. Guys that get arrested for stupid crap, get suspended and cause their team setbacks deserve to be booed.

Guys that carry the team on their backs and make an occasional maistake.........no way.

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Kordell deserved to be booed from time to time. And I notice that Steely McBeam is becoming more hated every week. I hope he's a one and done thing for the Steelers.

TackleMeBen
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
i was at the game and didnt really hear any boos.. but i was way too busy checking out HTG's punter to notice..lol:wink02:

SteelersMongol
11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Ben got booed? Must be sh*tt*ng me. Well, whoever booed him should change their loyalty from the Steelers to the Cheatriots. Seriously!!! Nobody from the Steelers deserves to be booed. I say so cuz HC thought they were better than all the others who got cut from the team. Besides aren't they giving us 7-2 season?

HometownGal
11-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh, come on now. Everybody knows making fun of Maddox is always acceptable, even if it is a little bit like picking on a retarded kid.

Sorry - I guess I'm just "old school" and find a "fan" booing his/her own team and players a little repulsive. You seem to be fairly young and probably didn't experience the Steelers of the 80's. They weren't even mediocre for the most part, but I can't say I ever remember anyone at TRS booing them unless they were drunk and were booing the stadium staff for shutting off the brew or pissing their pants because they couldn't find the bathroom.

I believe in crediting everyone who ever wore the black and gold and appreciate them for the accomplishments they made to the team, no matter how large or small.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Ben got booed? Must be sh*tt*ng me.

And that has yet to be determined...lol. The Steelers FO should install spies in the stands to find out who the fans are booing exactly.

People could have been booing over the officiating. People could have been booing the mascot. People could have been booing the STs play. People could have been booing the Browns. Who freakin' knows and at the end of the day who really gives....eh, nevermind.

steelermuzik
11-14-2007, 10:46 AM
"I believe in crediting everyone who ever wore the black and gold and appreciate them for the accomplishments they made to the team, no matter how large or small."

I've never lived in Pittsburgh and I've sadly never been to a game, however I've been a fan since '91 when I moved to America (my family lives 40 minutes west and are all fans except my traitor bengal fan dad) I'm digressing, my point is I've watched every available Steeler game, win or lose, and each in the past few years with NFL ticket, and I have never booed my team (maybe consumed a few more beers to ease the pain through the tough times). And it has always baffled me when the crowd starts booing. I love my boys no matter what and prefer the :cheer: method of helping them get back in the game ('cause you know they can hear me from so far away). Even after Tommy Gun's AWFUL Jacksonville game in '05, I felt sorry for him and didn't feel the need to make matters worse by discouraging him. I have to admit, though, I was extremely relieved Batch started the next game!

Big Ben is the best thing that's happen to Pittsburgh in a long time (from what I've observed) and I think we should be patient because we are witnessing something truly special, especially those of us who weren't alive for the dynasty years.

Go Big Ben, Go Steelers, I Believe! :tt02:

fansince'76
11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd have an easier time cheering for a toilet.

For some reason, this statement reminded me of this:

http://images.wolfgangsvault.com/images/catalog/detail/ZZZ002042-PO.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

lapzter
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
OK, I watched the game again last night and I was wrong. There was definitley some booing going on when we handed the ball of on a second and long and got nothing. I believe it was near the end of the second quarter on the drive before they put their last 3 points on the board before the half.

But they were definitley not boing Ben, they were obviousley booing the play calling.

HometownGal
11-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I mean, when you can see someone's not only failing to contribute, but actually playing badly enough to cancel out the effect of having several other good players on the team, it's hard to root for them. Maddox? Brister? Abercrombie? I'd have an easier time cheering for a toilet.

Maddox didn't contribute? :jawdrop: The Steelers never would have made the 2002 playoffs and surely never would have gotten as far as they did in those playoffs without Maddox's heads up play that season. Granted, Maddox doesn't make a hair on Ben's hiney, but give the guy credit where credit is due. He still holds several Steelers individual game passing records, which I'm sure Ben will break at some point. Nonetheless, though he appears to have been a one year wonder, he most certainly did contribute to the Steelers' success that season.

You and I just aren't going to agree on the "booing" issue and that's fine. You're entitled to your own opinion and though I don't agree with ANY fan booing a team he/she claims to support or any of its players, I appreciate your input.

iloveben7
11-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Big Ben is the best thing that's happen to Pittsburgh in a long time (from what I've observed) and I think we should be patient because we are witnessing something truly special, especially those of us who weren't alive for the dynasty years.

Go Big Ben, Go Steelers, I Believe! :tt02:

I agree completely. I was born in 90, so I wasn't alive to experience the great team of the 70's, but I've watched all the Superbowls on TV. I'm really proud and excited to be experiencing a great Steelers team that we have now, especially the quarterback. I only became a Steelers fan in 04, Ben's rookie season, so I only have really seen Ben in action. Compared to the other QB's around the league, there is not another like Big Ben.

SteelersMongol
11-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Whoever was booing, if they were not happy with 6-2, go with the Colts or the Cheatriots.

schoondog
11-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I was growing impatient in the first half, thankfully i had enough beer to pull me threw

Preacher
11-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Sorry - I guess I'm just "old school" and find a "fan" booing his/her own team and players a little repulsive. You seem to be fairly young and probably didn't experience the Steelers of the 80's. They weren't even mediocre for the most part, but I can't say I ever remember anyone at TRS booing them unless they were drunk and were booing the stadium staff for shutting off the brew or pissing their pants because they couldn't find the bathroom.

I believe in crediting everyone who ever wore the black and gold and appreciate them for the accomplishments they made to the team, no matter how large or small.

While I agree... I don't think the older fans have that much on the younger fans. I seem to remember Bradshaw getting booed quite badly, and Bradshaw even being hung in effigy. Matter of fact... when he broke his (arm, was it???) The injury was cheered, according to a number of things i have heard).

HometownGal
11-16-2007, 07:59 AM
While I agree... I don't think the older fans have that much on the younger fans. I seem to remember Bradshaw getting booed quite badly, and Bradshaw even being hung in effigy. Matter of fact... when he broke his (arm, was it???) The injury was cheered, according to a number of things i have heard).

I can't say I ever remember anyone at TRS booing them unless they were drunk and were booing the stadium staff for shutting off the brew or pissing their pants because they couldn't find the bathroom.

:wink02:

Preacher
11-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=322907#post322907)

I can't say I ever remember anyone at TRS booing them unless they were drunk and were booing the stadium staff for shutting off the brew or pissing their pants because they couldn't find the bathroom.

:wink02:

:toofunny:

I have been to too many hockey games listening to drunk fans yell an scream... and the idiots couldn't even stand on skates.. let alone play the game...

So yeah.. that just may be! Sadly, I don't think it is the entire thing though.

Kinda funny that the hardest teams on QB's are the Browns and Steelers. 1 bad game, and half the fans are ready to yank em.