PDA

View Full Version : Colts Freeney Out Several Weeks

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
With three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney expected to miss several weeks because of a left foot injury, the Indianapolis Colts claimed Simeon Rice off waivers Monday

Freeney, who injured his foot in the fourth quarter of Sunday night's 23-21 loss at San Diego when an unidentified Chargers' offensive lineman rolled up his leg, underwent tests Monday. The extent of the damage is not known, but Colts president Bill Polian said he believed Freeney could miss four or more games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3107196

Beginning to look like the post Super Bowl season blues are starting to hit big time in Indy.

Missing Freeney for KC and the Falcons is no problem, but not playing Jax after that without Freeney will hurt.

jjpro11
11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
KC could give them a game since they're so banged up. espn says it could be a lisfranc injury and that would end his season and possibly affect his career. of course espn has been off the mark a number of times this season regarding injuries, so i wouldnt jump to conclusions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3108696&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The Duke
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
question is, can Rice still produce? I think the colts D is gonna take a big blow without him

verks36
11-13-2007, 08:27 PM
it is sad to see a guy of such great skill go down but on the bright side their loss is our gain.

Borski
11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
if they stay banged up til the Jags play them and the Jags pull out a win the Colts would have to worry about even making the playoffs

JPPT1974
11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Yet another blow to the Colts
Looks like they won't be able to make
Another run at the Super Bowl again. :blah:

jjpro11
11-13-2007, 11:23 PM
they have a lot of players down and nothing but scrubs as backups.. we shouldnt hear any bickering about it because the colts were the ones that decided to tie up nearly all their money with 3 players. part of having a good team is having good depth. we have been good at replacing downed players over the past few years because we have good depth. the :puke: patriots have as well and remained successful. sure, the injury bug hits teams harder than usual. but you cant have your quarterback throwing 6 interceptions and expect to remain competitive.

it look like he may be done after all -
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071113/SPORTS03/711130465

Petesburgh66
11-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Sounds like he is done for the season:

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=222844&hubname=

Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - The Indianapolis Colts may have suffered a potentially fatal blow to their hopes to defend their title, as defensive end Dwight Freeney's season is apparently over.

According to a story late Tuesday night on the website of the Indianapolis Star, the three-time Pro Bowl selection will probably need surgery to repair damage to his left foot. Freeney left in the fourth quarter of the Colts' 23-21 loss to the Chargers on Sunday night with the injury.

The Colts' defensive star tried a spin move on a pass rush early in the fourth quarter, but fell to the turf. He limped off the field, and was taken to the locker room in a cart.

The only player in club history with four consecutive double-digit sack seasons, Freeney is Indianapolis' all-time sacks leader. He has 60 over his career, including 3 1/2 this season, and 31 forced fumbles in his six seasons.

A first-round draft choice of the Colts in 2002 and three-time Pro Bowl selection, the Colts signed the 27-year-old to a six-year, $72 million contract in July, making him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Indianapolis had already began preparing for life without Freeney earlier this week, as the club claimed veteran end Simeon Rice off waivers from Denver on Monday.

deversole
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Everyone except Indy seems to say he's done.

klick81
11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Sucks for Freeney; he's a good ass player.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
if they stay banged up til the Jags play them and the Jags pull out a win the Colts would have to worry about even making the playoffs

IMO they only have 2 potential losses left - Tennessee and Jax at home.

12-4 probably will win the division and certainly will earn a wild card.

But combined with the earlier loss of McFarland that DL is devastated. Simeon Rice is done (I think he flunked a physicl with the Giants).

Playing Indy is not as dreaded as it was 2 weeks ago.

CantStop85
11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Eh, Indy should be able to get pretty much back on track by the time the playoffs roll around. As long as they get their wide receivers and o-line healthy, they should be fine.

X-Terminator
11-14-2007, 12:14 PM
The Curse of the Big, Fat Contract claims yet another victim...

Petesburgh66
11-14-2007, 01:18 PM
A big blow to the Colts D as Freeney is now IR.

Canadian Press

11/14/2007 1:56:37 PM

INDIANAPOLIS - Colts star defensive end Dwight Freeney will miss the rest of the season after being placed on injured reserve Wednesday with a foot injury.

Freeney, the three-time Pro Bowler, is the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL. He injured his left foot in Sunday's loss to San Diego and may require surgery.

Simeon Rice, who the Colts claimed off waivers Monday from Denver, was expected to practise Wednesday with the team.

Indianapolis also placed backup linebacker Victor Worsley on injured reserve.

Tony Dungy was expected to talk about the injuries later Wednesday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=222844&hubname=
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10473102

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
The Curse of the Big, Fat Contract claims yet another victim...

Be careful about invoking big contract karma - Steelers signed one of those this year.:smile:

verks36
11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I am pretty sure he is out for season

PalmerSteel
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
oh no that breaks my heart he got put on IR, especially if we have to play them in the playoffs :banana:

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
oh no that breaks my heart he got put on IR, especially if we have to play them in the playoffs :banana:

So I assume you do not think a Colts fan would be out of line cheering a season ending injury to Troy or Casey?

To each his own.

PalmerSteel
11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
So I assume you do not think a Colts fan would be out of line cheering a season ending injury to Troy or Casey?

To each his own.

i dont wish injury upon anyone, but if it happens and it is our competition, or if someone sees our guy(s) go down and we are their competition, then no its not out of line. injuries happen all the time. if we have to play the colts that hurts them then that is good news to me. i definately dont feel sorry for freeney. i dont feel sorry for any nfl player that gets hurt. they are multi millionaires. it goes along with the territory. life threatening and parylizing injuries are a whole differnt story though.

Boomerang
11-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Colts will be more vulnerable to a good O without Freeney.