PDA

View Full Version : Steelers D is vulnerable to play-action at the goal line

autogyroenthusiast
11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
3 things to improve to ensure a long season.

1. Special teams play
2. Pass protection
3. Goal line defense against the play-action

First 2 are obvious.

Steelers D has allowed only 12 offensive TDs this year - that's good news. 4 of them came on play-action at the goal line - vulnerable. And these guys are WIDE open.The teams we need to beat to go deep run play-action at the goal line very well. The D has kept goal-line situations to a minimum all year but when teams do get there, that's the Money Play.

I think the non-Polamalu DBs need to be focused on guys leaking out and let the rest stuff the run.

Thoughts?

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I tell you what, if when we play New England, and they have a 1st and goal from the 4 yard line and our defense doesn't cover Vrabel...I'll blow a fuse.

steelpride12
11-13-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree being at the game gives you great vison and trust me with the play action on goalline there were all WIDE open.

The team felt Lewis would run with his power so they played run about 98% which meant they were vunerable.

tony hipchest
11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
good post. i think a goaline offense who executes well always has the advantage here, cause they know where the ball is going. tough for a defense to seel out for both the run and a pass, so many times its a guessing game. steelers have had great success with their tight ends in the redzone.

steelers have always been killed by the te slipping through wide open on goaline stands going back to frank wychek with the oilers/titans. defensively, the confines are so tight, its hard to jump a route, and to overprotect makes you vulnerable up the gut.

i think the best we can do to prevent it is really study tendencies and guess correctly.

jjpro11
11-13-2007, 06:40 PM
goal line stands are very hard to do and pretty rare now days with the influx of pass catching tight ends over the years.

NJarhead
11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I tell you what, if when we play New England, and they have a 1st and goal from the 4 yard line and our defense doesn't cover Vrabel...I'll blow a fuse.

Yes, and bait Brady into throwing to him.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Against Seattle, Jamal Lewis scored 4 TD's, all on goal line carries.

Maybe that's why they were playing 98% for run in the goal line situations. But it does piss me off that they didn't have at least a saftey on Winslow.

Rhee Rhee
11-14-2007, 01:37 AM
maybe dickleabeau is getting a little too creative at the goaline? who knows all ik is we're 7-2 and atop the AFC north :D

Steel Pit
11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
I watch a lot of football and I can say that MOST teams give up those goaline-play action touchdown passes to WIDE OPEN Tight Ends and Fullbacks. It leaves one to scratch his head that's for sure. :dang:

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
How in the World Kellen Winslow was running free without a spy on him just boggles the mind. I can see the fullback (#47, whatever his name is) slipping through, but Winslow?

verks36
11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
To be fair who really isnt vulnerable to play action on the goal line.

really it is one of the hardest things to stop during first and second down you are thinking run and one guy squeak by you i would say almost all NFL defenses have this problem and if you are to worried about the pass on goal line they will just punch it in up the gut

Dino 6 Rings
11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
goal line defense is very tough.

If you play run, your 5 down and 3 linebackers have to attack the line of scrimmage leaving your d-backs to cover man on man. Which, if there are 2 TEs and a Receiver and backs out of the backfield, leaves it almost impossible. Even with the Linebackers man covering the full back, its still tough, and there is always the chance that they run a freaking draw. I say, the best way to defend the goal line, is not allow them to get within the red zone. Hold them to 3 and that's the best goal line defense.

CanadianSteel
11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Plays are well designed where the TE will hang in on the line like they are blocking for a run, and sneak out after a second or 2 delay whick makes it tough for the D to pick up. Winslow did this on the first TD.
The TD to the Fullback "Vickers ??" - I belive the Brownstains scored their only TD on the exact same play in week 1.
Tough to sell out to one or the other, pass or run......

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
But in Winslow's case, knowing how big a part of the offense (especially the redzone offense) he is, you keep a spy on him no matter what. It's not like defensive players have never seen the "fake block and scrape" move before.

My guess it was breakdown in coverage or a lack of discipline by the player designated to spy on him.