PDA

View Full Version : We need to use Davenport more

jjpro11
11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
i think we need to start limiting parker's carries whenever we have the chance. imo he played too far into the baltimore game. im just worried he is going to be burnt out for the playoffs. he already has a lingering knee injury carried over since training camp. he currently has the most carries in the nfl and the last 5 straight games with 20+ carries. he had 337 carries last year as well. keep in mind that this will be his first season carrying the entire load while making the playoffs. i of course have no effect on it, but i would like to see something happen.

Borski
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing that, I think Parker can handle it but if we have the game in hand I'd rather give him a bit of a rest then risk something like that

NateC
11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Fast willaim needs to get 20 every Game...

Najeh can be used more i can dig it, but willie needs 20+ every Game.

IMO... he is a really positive gainer and is really effective in play action
I also Like willie in pass protection he is picking up blocks nice i have been watching him.

slippy
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
ND is wonderful in mop up time, but he is not a great second back. good but not great.

he is NOT a power back. NOT a new bettis. he's a bigger slower FWP.

willie will be fine. give him the ball until the game is in hand.

i wish we had a michael turner or maurice jones drew to spell willie, but we don't at this time. just give him the ball.

the passing game seems to be filling up the void that a second back would usually fill. let's go with it.

WWIIOwheelz
11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
I like Najeh running between the tackles late in games with fresh legs. I think that's his best role aside from kick returns. Like someone else said, he's not a power RB (as much as I'd love for us to have one.)

In any case, he's been a fantastic pickup since he got off the plane. I have a buddy who's a big Packers fan, and he's always talking about Najeh being "one that got away."

Rhee Rhee
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
agree with slippy ND isn't a great second back like the one who can grind out games... BUT he is a great option on third downs because of his recieving ability and what he can do after the catch...i still say we let willie run for 20+ and draft someone in the draft like a brian leonard or someone who can do the 2-3 yard gains like Jerome Bettis

Galax Steeler
11-14-2007, 03:42 AM
I would like to see davenport a little more to keep willie rested and not take the chance of getting him hurt.

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 08:23 AM
I think they should redistribute the ball a little. I want WP touching the ball 20-25 times a game, but it seems a little counterintuitive to run the smaller back up the gut on 2nd down and keep the bigger, slower back in on 3rd where we spread the field and give the RB more options. I'd also like to see the Steelers attempt to get the ball to WP out in space. It's like we took the RB screen pass out of the playbook, and we only run the WR screen

memphissteelergirl
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I have been saying that I would like to see a 2-man backfield with Willie and Najeh. I think that could screw up a lot of defensive schemes for our opponents. :wink02:

Dino 6 Rings
11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I think field conditions should dictate the back who gets more carries. Najeh played up in green bay and is heavier and Should (should) be able to get better footing on slippery grass. Willie should carry the load on art turf, but this past sunday would have been a good time to give najeh a few more touches inside the tackles to see if his footing allowed him to grind out a few more yards than willie was getting.

steelermuzik
11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
It might just be me, but I'm relatively happy with how we're using FWP right now. He doesn't seem to be getting as many big plays, no. But he's grinding out the clock and getting a few yards here and there forcing opposing defenses to still account for him. I would like to see the reemergence of the screen, however. That used to be so effective, it's beyond me why it seems to have disappeared from the playbook.

DACEB
11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I think field conditions should dictate the back who gets more carries. Najeh played up in green bay and is heavier and Should (should) be able to get better footing on slippery grass. Willie should carry the load on art turf, but this past sunday would have been a good time to give najeh a few more touches inside the tackles to see if his footing allowed him to grind out a few more yards than willie was getting.

Field conditions, opponents, there are many situations that IMO call for a change of pace or in this case change of RB. This by no means is a knock on Willie lets get that straight.

In the past with Bettis, if the running game started out slow by the end of the game things changed. Bettis would wear the defenders down by himself with his physical running style and his size. By the time the 4th quarter came defenders did'nt even want to tackle Bettis. As explosive as Willie is he does'nt punish anyone that way.

I understand very well that when Willie is in the game he needs to touch the ball a minimum of 20 times. I also agree with Dino that maybe Willie is'nt the answer in every situation. IMO we have faced defenses that Willie has struggled against, in those situations what is wrong with bringing in the other guy.

The other guy does'nt necessarily have to be Najeh either. Why not give Davis some carries in bad weather or short yardage situations. I myself have been dying to see Russell dress and play. Russell is a more physical back IMO. Russell also performed well on STs, maybe he should dress and help out in that area as well.

I think we should utilize all of our backs, all 5 should be dressed on gameday. I like the idea of Davis' versatility but we all love Krieder's blocking. Both Davis and Russell stood out on STs in the preseason, they can be utilized there. Suit them all up and let them all wear down the other team!!

onthebus36
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
In spite of his lack of attention in the press, I don't think Willie Parker's talents are a surprise to the rest of the league anymore. Defenses are now playing FWP the same way they play LT which is to commit to stopping the run and force the QB to beat you.

As Ben continues to make plays with his arm, teams will need to adjust to the passing game and things could loosen up for Willie. Or, they continue to stack the box against Willie and we beat them in the air. Either way, Willie Parker is a huge contributor to the success of our offense.

Najeh, while a talented back, doesn't inspire the same fear that Willie does. ND is a good back, but doesn't have the same home run potential as Willie.

Also, games have shown Willie gets better as the game progresses. Some of that is defenses loosening up and some of that is he needs some carries to get going.

Najeh should continue to come in for Willie when it is situationally adventageous but we need Willie to get the bulk of the carries.

jjpro11
11-14-2007, 03:17 PM
im not really calling for willie to be replaced in normal running situations.. i just want us to monitor his carries a bit more as we head down the stretch. like in obvious running situations when we are trying to eat the clock later in the game, just bring in davenport. we rarely get more than 3 yards in those situations anyways because the defense knows whats coming. why put more wear on willie when you have a fresh back that will end up doing the exact same thing? its not like davenport cant hold onto the ball, he hasnt fumbled once all season long.

SteelDogFan
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I would like to see Davenport more especially when they need to run out the clock at the end of the game. Last game against the browns upset me. They were trying to run out the clock in a single back set formation. The Browns were stacking the line of scrimmage and playing every gap. If they would have put a full back in the game to pick up run blitzing linebackers. They may have ran the clock out instead it was three and out.

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
We should all keep in mind that we have the worst OL of any 7-2 team in NFL history. Ben and Willie do a good bit of what they do all on their own.