PDA

View Full Version : Clark, Tuman done for year

Mosca
11-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Heard on ESPN; anyone else?

Stlrs4Life
11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I haven't heared anything on Ryan. Guess the spleen injury is more serious than I thought.

The Duke
11-13-2007, 09:14 PM
wouldn't surprise me, that spleen injury doesn't seem to be healing itself, and like coach Tomlin said there doesn't seem to be much progress there

tony hipchest
11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
i hope this isnt the case. not only because he was an excellent f.a. pickup, and its not like his replacement isnt more than qualified to step in, but for him to be shut down for the year shows his spleen condition is pretty serious.

and its important to point out that this is more of a condition than a specific injury, like in the case of chris simms, where they remove the damaged spleen and the problem is gone.

i hope clark will be good to go for the long haul (beyond this season). he was starting to shine and was well on his way to earn a nice payday in his next contract. and an all around good guy and teammate to boot.

stillers4me
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think he really injured it so much as it's a condition that involves sickle cell.

I get the feeling that the football season isn't his priority right now..... his life is. Best wishes to Ryan.

iloveben7
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I haven't heard anything about Ryan, but I hope it's not too serious. He's such a great player, but Anthony Smith can definately step up and play as he did this past week.

Borski
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Heard on ESPN; anyone else?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/roster/PIT

says he's on the IR, so yeah

Steelman16
11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, I wish him best of luck in getting better. We'll miss him in the secondary, Ryan has a good head on his shoulders, along with solid play ability. :tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-13-2007, 10:08 PM
That sucks.....But his life is more important........I wish him the best and hope he can return to football next year.......He is a very good player and really has the Steeler attitude........

RoethlisBURGHer
11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
My prayers are with him. I sure hope this isn't going to evolve into something that completley changes his life in a bad way.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Steelers Notebook: Clark, Tuman seasons come to end as they are placed on injured reserve
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Ben Roethlisberger has officially run 18 times for 135 yards this season. (vs. Browns 11/11/2007)

The Steelers have placed safety Ryan Clark and tight end Jerame Tuman on injured reserve, ending their seasons.

Clark has an inflamed spleen that was discovered after he played Oct. 21 at Denver. Tuman has had a disc problem in his back and has not played in three of the past four games.

Clark was the starting free safety before his condition was discovered. Anthony Smith replaced him as the starter the past three games. Tuman was the team's No. 3 tight end.

The Steelers signed center Marvin Philip from their practice squad to their 53-man roster and still have one spot left on that roster after eliminating Clark and Tuman.

Running takes toll

All that running might be taking a toll on Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger, who has made many plays on the run and after he has been chased out of the pocket this season, likely won't practice today because of various injuries.

"It's a lot of things," coach Mike Tomlin said. "It is his hip, his shoulder. He is banged up a little bit. That is the nature of it."

Tomlin was quick to note that Roethlisberger should be fine as the week goes on and start Sunday against the New York Jets.

So, too, should halfback Willie Parker (knee) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle), although both also are likely to join Roethlisberger along the sideline in practice today. Backup linebackers Andre Frazier (groin) and LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) are questionable.

Only two quarterbacks have more yards rushing than Roethlisberger's 135 -- Vince Young of Tennessee with 217 and Jason Campbell of Washington with 147. Roethlisberger's 7.5-yard average on his 18 carries, though, dwarfs the others.

Taunting addressed

Tomlin said he talked to Smith about a taunting penalty the safety received Sunday after tackling Jamal Lewis and then lingering over him.

"You can't get taunting penalties," Tomlin said. "That is a dumb penalty."

Smith tackled Lewis for a yard gain to the Steelers' 2 on second down. It should have brought up third-and-goal for the Browns. Instead, they had a first down at the 1 and scored a touchdown for a 14-3 lead early in the second quarter.

Rulings part of the game

For a referee to overturn a call using instant replay, the evidence, by rules, is supposed to be indisputable. Referee Ron Winter overturned a call in the second quarter after a pass to Braylon Edwards in the end zone had been ruled incomplete because the receiver did not get both feet in bounds.

Winter looked at the replay after Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel challenged it, and the referee ruled that the receiver had both feet in bounds.

"I'm still not certain he got both feet down," Tomlin said. "I coach the game, I don't officiate. We have to learn to live with the [officials'] decisions that are made ... "

http://postgazette.com/pg/07318/833629-66.stm

Rhee Rhee
11-14-2007, 12:28 AM
well it gives heath and spaeth a more balls and gives anthony smith a time to shine!

Crushzilla
11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Haven't we been running Starks as a TE in the 3 TE set?

Think we'll keep doing that?

Rhee Rhee
11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
im praying he gets through and nothing too bad happens to him although we have an adequate replacement our depth in the secondary will be severely hurt by this injury

Preacher
11-14-2007, 03:14 AM
I hope Clark is ok. I love his play and his attitude. WHile I know almost nothing about Tuman... he does seem like a good guy.

However, I have to admit. Just a little part of me is very excited that A. Smith has the chance to start the rest of the year and really put into practice the things he has learned. For some strange reason, I expect BIG things from that kid.

Galax Steeler
11-14-2007, 03:47 AM
I wish clark and tuman the best so it will be anthony smiths time to shine in the spotlight.

The Duke
11-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Haven't we been running Starks as a TE in the 3 TE set?

Think we'll keep doing that?

they still have 1 roster spot left so maybe they'll sign another tight end. i have been likin the idea of 3 tight ends so I hope they get it done

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 06:41 AM
I feel bad for Tuman but his loss to the offense can be handled.

Clark is a big loss to the defense, especially for having a puncher's chance against the Pats - must be pretty serious if they did not think they would just keep him deactivated for another month.

Anyone know how long a contract Clark has?

And FWIW, the Trib-Review has not even bothered to update its web site - still lists Tuman and Clark as being out for Sunday - not a good sign for a #2 paper that presumably needs to try harder.

HometownGal
11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
I feel so badly for Ryan Clark. He's a teamer and fits in very well with our D. I will pray that his spleen condition can be healed and he's back on the field next season. Anthony Smith will do just fine in his place if he can learn to shut his yap.

Wishing Ryan and Jerame the best and praying for speedy recoveries for both! :cheers:

Godfather
11-14-2007, 08:13 AM
That sucks. Clark is a great Steeler. Anthony Smith can handle it but he needs to STFU on the field. He cost us a defensive stop in the red zone on Sunday and almost cost us the game.

Hopefully Tomlin will use a roster spot to activate Justin Vincent. We need him on special teams.

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm sure that's why Starks has been playing #3 TE. Although we still seem to be losing the "Our fat guys vs their fat guys" battles. Carter and Gay have been playing well in nickel and dime situations, and increased playing time and experience will help them out as the season goes on.

As for that stupid taunting penalty, that needs to be removed from the NFL rule book. College is one thing, but it's the NFL, and it's part of the game to talk a little smack after a big play. I don't like it, and I thought it was wrong that Smith was talking smack to the same player who made him look like a 13 year old girl on the play before that.

It's also way too objective of a call to be trusted to be made by NFL officials.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm sure that's why Starks has been playing #3 TE. Although we still seem to be losing the "Our fat guys vs their fat guys" battles. Carter and Gay have been playing well in nickel and dime situations, and increased playing time and experience will help them out as the season goes on.

As for that stupid taunting penalty, that needs to be removed from the NFL rule book. College is one thing, but it's the NFL, and it's part of the game to talk a little smack after a big play. I don't like it, and I thought it was wrong that Smith was talking smack to the same player who made him look like a 13 year old girl on the play before that.

It's also way too objective of a call to be trusted to be made by NFL officials.

The league does not want the NFL to turn into the NBA in cleats - cracking down on taunting is in keeping with zero tolerance for celebrations and suspensions for off the field conduct. The NFL's target demographic for those Cadillac ads you see on Sundays skews a little older than the Anthony Smiths of the world and is not real excited about such fun & games.

Nobody else on the Steelers is getting flagged and Smith has targeted himself since he pranced like a drum major after the INT in Charlotte last year. Tomlin has said it is going to stop and IMO it will.

BlastFurnace
11-14-2007, 09:05 AM
The league does not want the NFL to turn into the NBA in cleats - cracking down on taunting is in keeping with zero tolerance for celebrations and suspensions for off the field conduct. The NFL's target demographic for those Cadillac ads you see on Sundays skews a little older than the Anthony Smiths of the world and is not real excited about such fun & games.

Nobody else on the Steelers is getting flagged and Smith has targeted himself since he pranced like a drum major after the INT in Charlotte last year. Tomlin has said it is going to stop and IMO it will.

LeBeau looked like he was going to deck Smith after the prancing he was doing in Carolina last year.

It's Smith's time to step it up...but to play smart as well. He brings an intimidating presence to the secondary.

Clark was really playing well this year. I hate to lose him....but most importantly...I hope he gets his health back to normal.

tony hipchest
11-14-2007, 09:07 AM

It's also way too objective of a call to be trusted to be made by NFL officials.definitely. its rediculous to treat a little smack the same as throwing the 1st punch in a fight.

losing tumans sure hands and experience hurts (he woulda caught the easy ball spaeth dropped) but our offense has done fine w/o him so far, and tomlin has said he likes starks in there as a 3rd te (although not to expect him catch any passes).

clark, on the other hand is much more important even though his back ups are more than capable of stepping in for him.

clark is in the 2nd year of an $8 mil deal. since he seemed to be a stop gap until smith was ready to take over, i always thought him, c. wilson, c. okolbi, j. tuman, and d. kreider, would be allowed to walk after this season to free up about $8 mil in cap space. however, clark could start for 31 other teams and probably be an upgrade to atleast 20 of them. i think hes worth more to the steelers as a player than he is as $2 mil/year of freed up cap space.

the patriots are regarded as the best (and almost unstoppable) offense when they line up 3 wide with watson at te and maroney at rb. if they split that out into 5 wide, the steelers have the best group of db's in the nfl to combat that.

polamalu
clark
smith
taylor
deshea
mcfadden

like reve said, carter can fill in fine and we can always go 4cb/2 safeties in our dime package with gay. still it woulda be nice to always have clark as that safety net. theres really no holes in his game.

steelers were the last team to not have any players in IR and just like that we have 2. i hope our good luck with relatively good health continues.

and most importantly i hope they can fix clark (im pretty sure they can fix tuman with disk surgery.)

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Tomlin goes back to players with whom he is familiar to replace Clark and perhaps help out the ST disaster

The Steelers have promoted cornerback Grant Mason from the practice squad to their 53-man roster as a replacement for safety Ryan Clark, who was placed on the injured reserve list with an inflamed spleen.

Mason, 24, was a third-round draft choice in 2004 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Mike Tomlin was their secondary coach. He was considered a special-teams standout with the Buccaneers and has appeared in 26 National Football League games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07318/833756-66.stm

jjpro11
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
taylor and smith do tend to get a bit carried away at times.. but i do like their fire.

klick81
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow this sucks. I hope both these guys get better soon.

moedap
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I really liked what Tuman brought. He could run block. I hope Spaeth steps up.

The Duke
11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Tomlin goes back to players with whom he is familiar to replace Clark and perhaps help out the ST disaster

The Steelers have promoted cornerback Grant Mason from the practice squad to their 53-man roster as a replacement for safety Ryan Clark, who was placed on the injured reserve list with an inflamed spleen.

Mason, 24, was a third-round draft choice in 2004 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Mike Tomlin was their secondary coach. He was considered a special-teams standout with the Buccaneers and has appeared in 26 National Football League games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07318/833756-66.stm

maybe tomlin saw something good in him. I'm glad we have him, but i'm gonna miss clark a lot. but...
let the hard hitting era of Anthony Smith begin!

jjpro11
11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
one of these days starks is going to catch a touchdown.. just watch. :banana:

Steelman16
11-14-2007, 02:49 PM

I SO want to see that happen against the Pats. Show Vrabel how to catch! :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Only if it sticks in his face mask

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Don't get me wrong. I hate taunting and smack talk. A great example was Ike talking a bunch of garbage after he thought he somehow stopped Edwards from catching a TD pass. He was jawing and yapping it up, and, then, whoops! TD Braylon Edwards.

But it's part of the game now. And there is NO consistency. I've seen bigger stars do far, far worse than Smith did and not get the flag. It's just a BS call.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Don't get me wrong. I hate taunting and smack talk. A great example was Ike talking a bunch of garbage after he thought he somehow stopped Edwards from catching a TD pass. He was jawing and yapping it up, and, then, whoops! TD Braylon Edwards.

But it's part of the game now. And there is NO consistency. I've seen bigger stars do far, far worse than Smith did and not get the flag. It's just a BS call.

Part of it may be if you are All-Pro the refs figure you have proven you are entitled to talk smack but that a second year player who is only starting because a vet went down should cool it - we also do not know if Smith came out of the gate talking up a storm (my bet is yes) and one of the refs suggested he cool down prior to the flag.

steelpride12
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Ya i saw it on ESPN also and i hope for speedy recovery.
I think this is a great time for Anthony Smith to prove that is his position and take over the starting position there, and also i think Spaeth has already earned his spot as 2nd string TE, but if not his time is now!

NV STEELERS 723
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Like its been said here...Smith can fill in nicely and will probably be our FS for the next few years...but he does have to watch his mouth and his showboating...

Let his hitting do the talking!

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Trib-Review has an article today on Clark being hospitalized:jawdrop:

The spleen infection that has sidelined him indefinitely also landed Clark in the hospital.

Fellow defensive backs Ike Taylor and Anthony Smith visited him Monday, and Taylor planned to see Clark again yesterday. ...

Just last week, Clark said he was still in constant pain and that he didn't even have the strength to play with his three young children. He added that he was having trouble keeping his temperature down, as well.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_538034.html

Prayers for a full recovery

alittlejazzbird
11-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Trib-Review has an article today on Clark being hospitalized:jawdrop:

[I]The spleen infection that has sidelined him indefinitely also landed Clark in the hospital.

Prayers for a full recovery

I had no idea it was that serious. I'm sure we're all keeping Ryan in our thoughts for a speedy return to good health. Football should be the last thing on his mind now.

JDTFever84
12-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I really liked what Tuman brought. He could run block. I hope Spaeth steps up.

"thank you to this post RIGHT HERE! Jerame Tuman is given little to no credit and while he might not be the reciever that Heath Miller is, he is an excellent blocker!

Rhee Rhee
12-04-2007, 02:01 PM
the injury to clark burns out depth in the secondary.... we could realy really use him on sunday... oh well... tumans eliminates our best blocking TE another blow