PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell Is A Brown?

HometownGal
11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
A little late. LOL! :sofunny: I've always wondered myself - just what the hell is a "Brown"? (Sorry Brownie fans! :wink02:)

A Bengal is a pus sy
And a fast plane is a Jet.
A Cowboy comes from Texas
And a Raider's tough I'll bet.

A Viking's from the frigid north.
Seahawks live near the sea.
All are names of football teams,
Just like they ought to be.

But there's one name that makes no sense
It causes me to frown
Can anyone enlighten me?
Just what's a Cleveland Brown?!

I don't know if it is true,
But I think I've heard a theory;
That Cleveland named its team
After the color of Lake Erie.

Brown does not describe
A big and strong athletic man.
It's what's inside the diaper
Of a baby Steelers fan.

The guy who named this football team
Must be the Cleveland clown
Who else would think to call
A football warrior a Brown!!

If I'd been born in Cleveland
And there my life was spent,
I'd find another team to cheer
From pure embarrassment.

I myself, have always loved
The Steelers Black and Gold.
I did when I was very young,
And I will when I am old.

But why's this name an adjective
When it should be a noun?
Can anybody tell me
What the hell's a Cleveland Brown?!

Steelman16
11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
:cheers: So....what exactly is a Brown?

KYSteelersfan
11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
:cheers: So....what exactly is a Brown?

:hunch: A loser :hunch:

when they play the Steelers

GeneralRobinson
11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
If it's Brown, flush it down.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-14-2007, 01:20 PM
In power terminology...a "brownout" is a severe lack of power (fitting!)

Total lack of power, or "blackouts" will now be referred to as "Bengal-outs"

CB1977
11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Named after Paul Brown, who was hired as coach of the Cleveland professional team in the newly formed All-America Football Conference; Brown produced an unequaled record of success. The Browns (from a "name-the-team" contest sponsored by a newspaper) won four straight AAFC titles, then entered the NFL in 1950 and won the championship in their first year. In Cleveland?s first eight NFL seasons, Brown?s club won three league championships and seven division crowns.

Brown introduced the scientific study of films, modern pass-blocking techniques, written intelligence tests for players, a "messenger guard" system for sending in plays, and many new passing schemes. Although he had experienced only one losing season, Cleveland owner Art Modell fired him after the 1962 season, stating that the game had passed the coach by.

In 1968, Brown came back to pro football as founder and coach of the AFL expansion Cincinnati Bengals. With a roster made up mostly of castoffs and raw recruits, they ended up winning the division title in 1970 and repeated in 1973.

(Gotta love Art Modell):banging:

There you have it...how Cleveland got the name...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

In 1968, Brown came back to pro football as founder and coach of the AFL expansion Cincinnati Bengals. With a roster made up mostly of castoffs and raw recruits,

"Castoffs and raw recruits." Sound like the Bengals have never changed.

touchdownward
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I thought this was a brown.

http://icefloe.org/pups/girl/brownie-2.jpeg

Never mind, that's a brownie scout. :smile:

MACH1
11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I always thought this was a brown. :wink02:

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/559/a93/559a9334-885b-436e-91aa-2c4a1841b3bf

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 06:56 PM
The worst thing about the Browns is they actually had a chance to fix this longstanding error when they came back into the league. But someone, somewhere actually had this thought:

"Hmmmm....Browns, or a real team name? Let's go with Browns again. Yup, Browns it is!"

Jeremy
11-17-2007, 02:11 PM
A loser from Ohio.

revefsreleets
11-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Just like the Buckeyes, right?

Oh, wait....

SuperMan313
11-17-2007, 03:17 PM
I thought this was a brown.

http://icefloe.org/pups/girl/brownie-2.jpeg

Never mind, that's a brownie scout. :smile:
Atleast shes better then Brady Quinn.

Jeremy
11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Just like the Buckeyes, right?

Oh, wait....

Too bad you won't be able to play Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl. Have fun getting killed by USC loser.

revefsreleets
11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Awwwwwww. I'm a loser now. I feel hurt. Name calling from "Bitter Boy".

HometownGal
11-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Too bad you won't be able to play Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl. Have fun getting killed by USC loser.

Jeremy - cool it, k? :mallet:

Preacher
11-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Well...

We know this is the general feeling of a Browns!!

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennsyltucky/2007/09/browns.jpg

I posted the pic... but it was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too big!

The mods would of ran a weedwhacker right up my rear-end for keeping it on the thread!!

Jeremy
11-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Jeremy - cool it, k? :mallet:

Oh...did the little boys go and run to the mods about me?

This is a smack forum. If they don't like what I say, they should stay the **** away.

HometownGal
11-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh...did the little boys go and run to the mods about me?

This is a smack forum. If they don't like what I say, they should stay the **** away.

No one said a word to us about anything. Yes - this is a smack talk forum, but calling another member a "loser" because he supports a different team than you do is uncalled for and a bit lame, imho. C'mon Jeremy - you're better than this!

Jeremy
11-18-2007, 12:04 PM
No one said a word to us about anything. Yes - this is a smack talk forum, but calling another member a "loser" because he supports a different team than you do is uncalled for and a bit lame, imho. C'mon Jeremy - you're better than this!

Not when it comes to someone from Ohio.

HometownGal
11-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Not when it comes to someone from Ohio.

Darn - I was just about to tell you that we had a secret drawing here at SF and you won the grand prize - an all expense paid weekend in Shitsinnati. Guess we'll have to award our grand prize to someone else then. :dang::dang::wink02:

dragtruk
11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Named after Paul Brown, who was hired as coach of the Cleveland professional team in the newly formed All-America Football Conference; Brown produced an unequaled record of success. The Browns (from a "name-the-team" contest sponsored by a newspaper) won four straight AAFC titles, then entered the NFL in 1950 and won the championship in their first year. In Cleveland?s first eight NFL seasons, Brown?s club won three league championships and seven division crowns.

Brown introduced the scientific study of films, modern pass-blocking techniques, written intelligence tests for players, a "messenger guard" system for sending in plays, and many new passing schemes. Although he had experienced only one losing season, Cleveland owner Art Modell fired him after the 1962 season, stating that the game had passed the coach by.

In 1968, Brown came back to pro football as founder and coach of the AFL expansion Cincinnati Bengals. With a roster made up mostly of castoffs and raw recruits, they ended up winning the division title in 1970 and repeated in 1973.

Hmmmm, that REALLY interesti.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

revefsreleets
11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Trust me, Jeremy, your very best smack is pretty much a joke. But aren't you the one who put me on ignore?

Who's the little boy, bitter boy?

CB1977
11-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Hmmmm, that REALLY interesti.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry if it was way too much for you to comprehend. Besides, nobody forced you to read it anyway.

And, while I'm at it...Jeremy? OHIO ROCKS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jammin:

GoFins11
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM

I'm glad you explained it. I started wondering. The Dolphins or Lolphins as we are sometimes called were also named by a naming contest.:cheers:

SteelersJW
11-30-2007, 03:13 PM
A brown is a piece of shit, thats what.

CB1977
11-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I like most of you on this board....you're just not one of them SteelersJW.

GBMelBlount
12-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Good post. I never knew that. I'll be honest with you. I hate you guys the least of our 3 opponents in our division!! That's probably because I was the least concerned about you guys as a division opponent. Suddenly you guys are the little engine that might make it to the playoffs. However, if we play again, I honestly think we will we will have no problems manhandling the Browns.

fansince'76
12-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Although he had experienced only one losing season, Cleveland owner Art Modell fired him after the 1962 season, stating that the game had passed the coach by.

CB, is there any truth to the rumor that Jim Brown had something to do with Paul Brown's firing and his subsequent replacement by Blanton Collier? I remember reading something a while back to the effect that Jim Brown chafed under Paul Brown's authoritarianism?

bengals_in_miami
12-01-2007, 11:00 PM
CB, is there any truth to the rumor that Jim Brown had something to do with Paul Brown's firing and his subsequent replacement by Blanton Collier? I remember reading something a while back to the effect that Jim Brown chafed under Paul Brown's authoritarianism?He said chafed:toofunny:

fansince'76
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
He said chafed:toofunny:

http://www.etsu.edu/math/gardner/butthead.jpg

Huh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh.

bengals_in_miami
12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
exactly what I was going for:banana:

(by the way, i find it awesome that I can't post links until I have 25 posts, guess you guys had some "interesting" visitors here)

touchdownward
12-02-2007, 12:06 PM
exactly what I was going for:banana:

(by the way, i find it awesome that I can't post links until I have 25 posts, guess you guys had some "interesting" visitors here)

It reduces :spam:

#1LambertFan
12-04-2007, 04:00 PM
A brown is what occurs when you release waste from your body. My question for the NFL is why havent these browns been released from our league.

CB1977
12-05-2007, 09:10 AM
A brown is what occurs when you release waste from your body. My question for the NFL is why havent these browns been released from our league.

Why in the hell do you ask?????