PDA

View Full Version : Arians was ON-Point

SteelDogFan
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Remember in the beginning of the season when the Bruce came out and said that they were going to go to more thee wide receiver and shotgun sets so that they could get the ball down he field more . Well as of this week the Steelers are only second to the pats with big passing plays for the most yards.

Stlrs4Life
11-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Who would have ever thought that?

HometownGal
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Remember in the beginning of the season when the Bruce came out and said that they were going to go to more thee wide receiver and shotgun sets so that they could get the ball down he field more . Well as of this week the Steelers are only second to the pats with big passing plays for the most yards.

Bruce is a diamond in the rough. I think he's done darned good in his first year as OC and plays to his players' strengths.

tony hipchest
11-14-2007, 05:15 PM
bruce arians learned under tom moore and was peyton mannings qb coach. his career mirrors his mentors in many ways-

Moore made the transition to the majors in 1977 when he joined Chuck Noll's coaching staff at the Pittsburgh Steelers, initially serving as receivers coach. Within three years on the Steelers, Moore earned two Super Bowl rings and in 1983 he was promoted to quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. For eight years, Moore and Tony Dungy, the Colts' head coach since 2002, were colleagues on Noll's coaching staff at Pittsburgh.

Leaving the Steelers in 1990, Moore served in senior offensive coaching roles for three teams in eight years, having the most success as offensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions, the team which led the NFL in total offense in 1995 and was the first team in NFL history to have two receivers with over 100 catches in a season (Herman Moore and Brett Perriman).

im not suprised the direction this offense is taking in the least. what moore did with the lions (sanders, perriman, moore, and kramer) is almost as impressive as arians actually getting the browns to the playoffs with tim couch and kelly holcomb (name an offensive or defensive pro bowler from that year).

we had another teams member here who openly mocked arians having the gall to adopt some of the "colts" offensive philosophy (as if it were something foreign), when in reality it was the steelers offensive philosophy from the greatest dynasty, all along.

i think some people were poisonned into thinking it would never work by him, and that the "colts" system was peyton manning specific. but then again this members "king" married camilla parker :dang:.

arians plan has been a natural evolution and as we can see- "survival of the fittest".

arians plan has willie as the #2 rusher, heath miller as the #7 TE in rec yds (#1 in td's), and the steelers TE as a whole #1 in tds(10).

oh and ben #3 in td's and #2 in passer rating, and 3rd in rushing for a qb....

*awaits a typical patfans tactic of diversion and deflection by stating "yeah but if vick werent suspended ben would only be 4th in qb rushing yards".*

verks36
11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I like how we are passing and all with the big plays but i would still like to his Najeh and willie pound a team to smithereens like AKA we should have done to the broncos.
Right now it is pass first run second
I think we would be more consistant if we went back to the old days run first huge plays off play action. But to defend Arians willie does have the most rushing attempts out of any one in the nfl with 212

Edman
11-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Arians was underappreciated in Cleveland. With mediocre talent to work with, he helped take the Browns to their only playoff appearance since their 1999 return with "superstars" like Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, and William Green heading the offense. Almost beat us in Pittsburgh too. The man deserves more credit than he gets.

It's no surprise that the Pittsburgh Offense evolved from the '3 yards and a cloud of dust' days of Cowher and has become more dynamic in his first year as the OC. Heck, this offense hung 38 on the Ravens in one game when they scored only 7 on them all of last year. That's a major improvement.

tony hipchest
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
I like how we are passing and all with the big plays but i would still like to his Najeh and willie pound a team to smithereens like AKA we should have done to the broncos.
Right now it is pass first run second
:bs:

248 passes to 300 rushes (i know the official statline say 308 but im not about to count 8 charlie batch kneel downs as rushes).

did it seem like we passed alot against cleveland because we were down and ben finally won with more than "30 pass attempts in a game" (:yawn:) ? yes. but it was still perfect balance with 35 rush and 35 pass.

:hunch:

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM

248 passes to 300 rushes (i know the official statline say 308 but im not about to count 8 charlie batch kneel downs as rushes).

did it seem like we passed alot against cleveland because we were down and ben finally won with more than "30 pass attempts in a game" (:yawn:) ? yes. but it was still perfect balance with 35 rush and 35 pass.

i don't get it myself. 2006 willie avg...21.1 att/g.......2007 21.2....att/g
and just think.....the fans used to always bitch that cowher was too PREDICTABLE...:banging:

verks36
11-14-2007, 06:35 PM

OK I am whipping out some stats here so be ready :smile:

ok exactly 35 passes what about the formula that got us to 15-1 a couple season back
where Roethlisberger would go 12/18 pass for a buck 50 and we would run it 45 times and they would know it was coming but couldnt stop it.

That year when we faced that brutal stretch where the Pats were 8-0 and had won 22 straight games and I think the Eagles were 8-1.

And we beat those team with a combine score 61-27
Ben in those combine in that 2 game stretch 42/29

and we ran a total of 85 times 390 yards

thats the kind of steelers football I personally believe would have the best success

revefsreleets
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Arians also asks for more zone blocking, which the Steelers are apparently not great at. And he runs a lot of crossing routes which need a little more time for the WR's to get open. So far it's worked due to Ben's improvisation. But I do LOVE the Steelers airing it out a bit.

fansince'76
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM

ok exactly 35 passes what about the formula that got us to 15-1 a couple season back
where Roethlisberger would go 12/18 pass for a buck 50 and we would run it 45 times and they would know it was coming but couldnt stop it.

That year when we faced that brutal stretch where the Pats were 8-0 and had won 22 straight games and I think the Eagles were 8-1.

thats the kind of steelers football I personally believe would have the best success

I disagree - IMO, we'd be tied with the Browns at 6-3 right now with that philosophy. Ben is also a better QB as a 4th year vet than he was as a rookie. Nice to see the training wheels finally taken off. Our OL was a HELL of a lot better in '04 than it is now as well.

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2007, 07:53 PM

thats the kind of steelers football I personally believe would have the best successhave you been watching steeler games this year ? if you have then you should have noticed this group of linemen aren't exactly dominating the line of scrimage . i believe someone on here said in a post,that parker is leading all running backs in negative yardage running plays. in fact , 1/4 of parkers rushing yards this year have come of of 10 carries. subtract those 10 plays and the yardage, then , divide the remaining 200+ carries ,into the 600 or so remaining yds, and what do you get? a team with an average running game at best. sorry verks, but for this team to go anywhere, the passing game is going to have to play a bigger part than the running game. (ie....see browns and ravens game )

steelpride12
11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
who would have ever thought all this too. I love the huge plays we have and the speed of Holmes is a killer its great and with good o-lineman we would be pretty unstoppable!

verks36
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
have you been watching steeler games this year ? if you have then you should have noticed this group of linemen aren't exactly dominating the line of scrimage . i believe someone on here said in a post,that parker is leading all running backs in negative yardage running plays. in fact , 1/4 of parkers rushing yards this year have come of of 10 carries. subtract those 10 plays and the yardage, then , divide the remaining 200+ carries ,into the 600 or so remaining yds, and what do you get? a team with an average running game at best. sorry verks, but for this team to go anywhere, the passing game is going to have to play a bigger part than the running game. (ie....see browns and ravens game )

you are talking about a ravens team who had both starting corners out and a Browns team who has one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

tony hipchest
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM

thats the kind of steelers football I personally believe would have the best successyou mention the pats game and eagles game in bens rookie season, when both teams were undefeated.

ben iced the patriots in the 1st half with 2 deep td's to plaxico. the eagles game was a blow out from the start too.

had this years belicheat coached the steelers in either of those games, ben would probably be 30-40/400+yds/5+td's and the steelers win by even more.

cowher always ran a "call off the dogs" at halftime gig, and tomlin is doing the same. if we need to pass to catch up, we will.

this is not a pass heavy offense.

Preacher
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM

Really? We lost how many AFC CG's playing that kind of ball. Now compare that to a balanced run, pass attack, and you get two SB's.

Fact is, Run first, run always is great against teams in the reg. season. But when teams have their backs against a wall in the playoffs, especially when you start meeting the top teams of the league with their players RESTED, that kind of play cannot match a high powered offense AND a decent defense. That is why we lost to the Patriots twice in the AFCCG. That is why we lost to the Bronco's in the AFCCG.

Sure they could run... but when down, they could come back and win. They could strike hard and fast and bury a team. Who cares if you can burn 20 minutes off the clock in a half, if you're still down by 7 points when the 4th quarter is over.

Jim Schue
11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
have you been watching steeler games this year ? if you have then you should have noticed this group of linemen aren't exactly dominating the line of scrimage . i believe someone on here said in a post,that parker is leading all running backs in negative yardage running plays. in fact , 1/4 of parkers rushing yards this year have come of of 10 carries. subtract those 10 plays and the yardage, then , divide the remaining 200+ carries ,into the 600 or so remaining yds, and what do you get? a team with an average running game at best. sorry verks, but for this team to go anywhere, the passing game is going to have to play a bigger part than the running game. (ie....see browns and ravens game )

I pointed this out (although not in near as good a detail) to someone on another board how hard Willie is having to work to earn his yards.

One thing you have to figure: With the Jets #30 overall and dead last against the run, Willie and the other runners should get a chance to shore up their per-carry average.

BozMan
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
who would have ever thought all this too. I love the huge plays we have and the speed of Holmes is a killer its great and with good o-lineman we would be pretty unstoppable!

We would have even more big plays with a decent O-line, too. There were several instances in the Browns game where Holmes beat his man deep down the field, but the pass protection had broken down by then and Ben was forced to scramble/improvise or even take a sack.

tony hipchest
11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
. i believe someone on here said in a post,that parker is leading all running backs in negative yardage running plays. in fact , 1/4 of parkers rushing yards this year have come of of 10 carries. subtract those 10 plays and the yardage, then , divide the remaining 200+ carries ,into the 600 or so remaining yds, and what do you get? a team with an average running game at best. )
that someone wasnt litp or povidence steel was it? :chuckle:

parker is leading all running backs in negative yardage running plays

and now for the rest of the "story"

parker leads all backs in positive carries
leading the lt's and the larrys.
he leads all backs in positive yardage,
he grinds out yards considered garbage.
he leads all backs to the left,
he leads all backs to the right.
he runs real good when it is day,
he sucks donkey balls on monday night.
i do not like green eggs and ham,
i will not eat them sam i am.
not even on a bed of lettuce,
i long for the days of jerome bettis.

all them other guys are just telling nursery rhymes.

bratsinmybelly
11-15-2007, 12:50 AM

If you don't like the o-line now, wait until we lose Faneca............ouch.

Rhee Rhee
11-15-2007, 01:24 AM
i just think the Pittsburgh organization as whole does a wonderful job developing young plays and young coaches! no one knew who kevin whisenhunt was b4 but now look at him coach of a surprising arizona cardinals team

bratsinmybelly
11-15-2007, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=Rhee Rhee;322626]i just think the Pittsburgh organization as whole does a wonderful job developing young plays and young coaches! no one knew who kevin whisenhunt was b4 but now look at him coach of a surprising arizona cardinals team[/QUOTE

I still don't know who "Kevin" Whisenhunt is but I've heard of Ken. He's the coach that beat us in a game that we should have won and will most likely be watching the playoffs from his couch.

I agree with you that the Steelers have an uncanny knack for spotting talent where other teams miss it. Here's to hoping that the likes of "Tomlin" and "Parker" get added to that list of all-time steals.

DACEB
11-15-2007, 09:06 AM
have you been watching steeler games this year ? if you have then you should have noticed this group of linemen aren't exactly dominating the line of scrimage . i believe someone on here said in a post,that parker is leading all running backs in negative yardage running plays.

I'm not going to bust out any stats, but I can tell you that we have way too many negative plays. Whether it is in the running game or Ben getting sacked. If the O-line can step it up and eliminate many of those negative plays we will be extremely hard to beat. That and STs are our glaring weaknesess.

Lets go guys, work a little harder, hold on to those blocks a little longer.

steelermuzik
11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
I think, overall, Arians has done a great job with the offense. I'm enjoying the conversion to a more balanced offense. Sure, we all miss the bruising days, but it's time for us to realize those have come to an end. Arians recognizes the overall talents of his offense and I think he's catering the schemes to the talent of all the players, rather then sticking with a scheme and underutilizing all of the players strenghths. We don't have JB anymore, teams aren't afraid of us anymore. So, it's time to evolve and use BR/SH/HW/HM/etc...'s strengths and find a new system. We tried 'replacing' The Bus, and that's just not possible. I give kudos to Arians for being innovative and opening up. And I'm sure with more time and experience (and a better OL), the sky will be the limit for our offense.

tony hipchest
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I think, overall, Arians has done a great job with the offense. I'm enjoying the conversion to a more balanced offense. Sure, we all miss the bruising days, but it's time for us to realize those have come to an end. Arians recognizes the overall talents of his offense and I think he's catering the schemes to the talent of all the players, rather then sticking with a scheme and underutilizing all of the players strenghths. We don't have JB anymore, teams aren't afraid of us anymore. So, it's time to evolve and use BR/SH/HW/HM/etc...'s strengths and find a new system. We tried 'replacing' The Bus, and that's just not possible. I give kudos to Arians for being innovative and opening up. And I'm sure with more time and experience (and a better OL), the sky will be the limit for our offense.the steelers are on pace to have their highest scoring season ever and their current pace of 28 points a game would also be a record.

Counselor
11-16-2007, 09:01 AM
I heard Ben interviewed on the radio this morning and you can tell by what he says (as well as by watching his play) that he is really comfortable in BA's offense.

I don't remember a time when I, as a fan, have been this comfortable with our offense and our defense. I agree the O-line is not in top form --why the run game is sometimes struggling---but you really can't argue with the success we're having--and certainly BA's play calling is a big part of that. The simple fact that Willie Parker "can" pull off a 75 yard TD run keeps offenses honest and keeps the passing game open.

What I love---is that this year I don't feel like we're banging our head against the wall and continuing to do things that aren't working. If one things doesn't work, adjustments are made----and we try something different (and we eventually score points)

SteelDogFan
11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Well the way I look at the offense is, we no longer have The Bus a back that would always gain at least 3 yards even if he was hit behind the line of scrimmage because he was so strong the D could not stop his forward momentum. That type or bruiser run on first, run on second, pass on third offense is not the Steelers format anymore for 2 reasons.

1) the Steelers now have a Top talented QB who is good in the pocket and out of the pocket and can even hit recievers when he is scrambing. You must change the offense to use all of his skills or its a waste of talent. Not that Ben is Payton Manning but you wont see the colts going to a power running game any time soon.

2) Fast Willie, He is not the Bus and he needs at least a good block on the first wave so he can get his jets going and blow past the second wave of defenders. In order for that to happen the D must think that Ben may drop back and pass on 1st and 2nd down. Also crowding the line of scrimmage against Willie can sometimes be a bad idea because once he gets past the first wave he may be in the end zone.

Ben's and Willie's styles compliment each other in a way I have not seen on the Steelers in a long time. The D's cannot crowd the line because Ben will now audible to a pass and they cant drop back in coverage because he may hand the ball to Willie I would hate to be a D coordinator trying to stop the Steelers O.

Thats one of the reason I believe the team matches up well with the Pats. Bill B. is good at taking away your main player or scheme on offense. But with the way Ben and Willie are complimenting each other that may be hard to do.

MasterOfPuppets
11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
you are talking about a ravens team who had both starting corners out and a Browns team who has one of the worst pass defenses in the league.
actually ,i was reffering to how the ravens , completly shut down the running game, and we won by PASSING the ball. as for the browns game , did we win it by running the ball? would we have won by running the ball ? i think not.....:coffee:

Jman
11-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Bruce is a diamond in the rough. I think he's done darned good in his first year as OC and plays to his players' strengths.

:iagree:

Haiku_Dirtt
11-16-2007, 04:00 PM

AND

When teams "pound the ball" don't they usually have blockers.

Being part of the early season complaints of Arians he was quick to point out that Ben was ad libbing to our detriment which is notable in hindsight.

AND

To have soooo much success in spite of a less than mediocre offensive line is really quite unbeliveable until we notice how pathetic the competition is on our schedule. That will change in the playoffs but maybe not until the AFCCG. Not bad.

Finishing with the #2 seed in the AFC - even though it screws our draft position - will be a remarkable accomplishment. Maybe even more remarkable than the smoke and mirrors playing right of center.