PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Faneca fights off hard feelings

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Trib-Review has a very complimentary article on Faneca, although I do not have a clue what games the writer has been watching as the basis for this statement:

[T]he six-time Pro Bowler may be having his best season yet.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_538027.html

If Faneca is having his best season yet then he must be covering for shabby play by the rest of the line.

It is too bad Faneca will be leaving, but IMO the Steelers cannot meet his price and re-sign the young impact players (not just Ben )who have contracts coming up over the next several years.

ChronoCross
11-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Well if Faneca is having his best year ever, then why sometimes Ben gets sacked by guys who run right by faneca because he did not pick them up. O Line is very disappointing this season so far. Ben is on pace to get sacked around 40 times. Ben is on the run every game.

revefsreleets
11-15-2007, 08:08 AM
I think part of it is a change in blocking scheme, but, yeah, I've seen a lot of plays where Alan whiffed this year. He didn't have a super great year last year, either. I've seen a lot of problems in his game lately, but it's still not very popular to call him out.

Mosca
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree with rev; it's the calling out of assignments. Guys are setting up where rushers aren't.

I believe Faneca IS an impact player. If it were my team I'd strongly look to see how to stretch the budget to fit him in along with the other guys we need. Realistically I don't see it, but I can only hope.

bratsinmybelly
11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I think Faneca is handling the situation like a true professional. It kills me that there is really no way we can keep him. Anyone who thinks his absence will not have a HUGE impact on our offense next year is delusional. Even if we draft a hoss in the 1st round, it's going to take a couple of years to get even close to the level that Faneca plays at. Mark my words........there are dark days ahead for this team if we do not get aggressive next off season to remedy this developing situation.

We can have the best skill players in the NFL and we will not be .500 without a good line. I think they are playing well enough this year to keep us going but they are not dominating people like we are accustomed to seeing. Take Faneca out of that mix and it gets ugly quick. The Rooneys have proven time and again that they see things a little more clearly than the rest of us and I'm sure they have a plan. They are also human and are capable of mistakes. Not finding a way to keep Faneca around if only for a couple more years, has the potential to be a big one.

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I agree with rev; it's the calling out of assignments. Guys are setting up where rushers aren't.

I believe Faneca IS an impact player. If it were my team I'd strongly look to see how to stretch the budget to fit him in along with the other guys we need. Realistically I don't see it, but I can only hope.

Isn't Ben supposed to be calling out the assignments this year (which I recall used to be Harting's responsibiity)?

IMO if Faneca had not been grieving for Grimm something might have been worked out last spring; unfortunately Faneca then went ballistic during mini-camp and $$ that could have signed Faneca have now been spent on Simmons since the Steelers were going to re-sign someone on the OL (which was not going to be Starks) this past summer:dang:

Mosca
11-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, BR is calling the blocks.

Simmons. I don't get it. But I'm willing to understand that my knowledge of offensive line play is limited to a couple hours watching games on Sunday. His perceived failure could be anything, all we see is guys around BR.

Preacher
11-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, BR is calling the blocks.

Simmons. I don't get it. But I'm willing to understand that my knowledge of offensive line play is limited to a couple hours watching games on Sunday. His perceived failure could be anything, all we see is guys around BR.

Very true...

It seems that our O line can only lock up on one guy... and not even impede a second.

On another note...

However, I wouldn't blame Ben all that much... How many holes have you seen our O line open up for the running game. That is just sheer brute force on established blocking schemes.

This falls back to the oline, which has been a problem for a while now. And no, I am not as impressed with fanaca as some are. However, I would have no problem signing him... FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. Sadly, we are well beyond reasonable.

oldschool
11-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I appreciate the attitude and the work ethic Alan brings every week, he has done a 180 since I posted "the open letter", back in May. Some how we need to resign him, I don't even want to think what our O line would be without him.

We also need to draft a linemen in the early rounds nexy spring.

Rhee Rhee
11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
idk u still gotta give him credit for the 7+ years he's worked his ass off for us.. HOF in my opinion no question

GeneralRobinson
11-15-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't blame him for asking for Steve Hutchinson money. He's just not going to get it from Pittsburgh. Hutchinson went to a team willing to invest heavily in the OL. They were able to do this because they don't have to invest this money in a highly paid quarterback. Faneca is, unfortunately, the victim of bad timing, and it's unfortunate that it became personal. Give him credit for putting the initial bad feelings behind him.

Steeler in Carolina
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I wish him the best, but he won't be in Pittsburgh next year. No way we can afford what he will be asking.

Preacher
11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
LOL, franchise tag.

I think we talked about that last summer... boy would that ever get ugly. Franchise tag this coming year, next year, and then release him, when he wouldn't get but 70 or 80 percent of what he would get now...

WOW... that would be ugly.

verks36
11-15-2007, 10:08 PM
idk u still gotta give him credit for the 7+ years he's worked his ass off for us.. HOF in my opinion no question

HOF no quesiton sorry but i love faneca as much as the next steeler fan but first ballot hall of fame is stretching it ALOT

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2007, 10:30 PM
He is an OG........His loss wouldn't be like losing a franchise LT which the Steelers don't have one of those either.....The Oline is a mess with him now......I say draft his replacement.....Save the money for the franchise QB we need to resign...lol

All of you thinking doom and gloom for the Steelers when Faneca leaves is silly...The Pats started Logan Mankins on their Oline when he was rookie.....The Chargers started Marcus McNeil at the important LT when he was a rookie last year....

Its simple all the Steelers have to do is draft well and make sure they hit it right when drafting his replacement.....

Preacher
11-15-2007, 10:37 PM
He is an OG........His loss wouldn't be like losing a franchise LT which the Steelers don't have one of those either.....The Oline is a mess with him now......I say draft his replacement.....Save the money for the franchise QB we need to resign...lol

All of you thinking doom and gloom for the Steelers when Faneca leaves is silly...The Pats started Logan Mankins on their Oline when he was rookie.....The Chargers started Marcus McNeil at the important LT when he was a rookie last year....

Its simple all the Steelers have to do is draft well and make sure they hit it right when drafting his replacement.....

Hey.. I say give up a 2nd and 3rd round (maybe even Clark in a trade) for a low first round. Throw in a 4th if you want.

All we need is the OL. Get them both in the first round, and then take a shot in the 4th or 5th on a long shot... and cut them if we don't need them. PIck up a couple of FA's for backup on the line as well (or a starter and a backup).

THen, next draft, go for Ward's replacement. We are pretty much set if we focus on O line this draft.. .and a bit higher, not projects.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey.. I say give up a 2nd and 3rd round (maybe even Clark in a trade) for a low first round. Throw in a 4th if you want.

All we need is the OL. Get them both in the first round, and then take a shot in the 4th or 5th on a long shot... and cut them if we don't need them. PIck up a couple of FA's for backup on the line as well (or a starter and a backup).

THen, next draft, go for Ward's replacement. We are pretty much set if we focus on O line this draft.. .and a bit higher, not projects.

I agree on loading up on Olineman in this upcoming draft......The Steelers have 6 picks right now due to the Rossum trade...I say draft at least 3 Olineman and I wouldn't mind drafting 4.....thats how bad I think of our current Oline situation...lol

I think trying to find a true LT with the intent one day to move Smith back to RT would be very smart....Of course drafting Faneca's replacement is a must....I think drafting a center would be smart also....Then you slide Mahan back to OG....I think Mahan has been ok at center but to me he gets over powered....I remember reading that Larry Zierlein the Oline coach likes bigger centers...Something in the 320 range......

It would be nice of some of the draft picks we already spent on Olineman would show something...But that doesn't seem to be happening....

Preacher
11-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I agree on loading up on Olineman in this upcoming draft......The Steelers have 6 picks right now due to the Rossum trade...I say draft at least 3 Olineman and I wouldn't mind drafting 4.....thats how bad I think of our current Oline situation...lol

I think trying to find a true LT with the intent one day to move Smith back to RT would be very smart....Of course drafting Faneca's replacement is a must....I think drafting a center would be smart also....Then you slide Mahan back to OG....I think Mahan has been ok at center but to me he gets over powered....I remember reading that Larry Zierlein the Oline coach likes bigger centers...Something in the 320 range......

It would be nice of some of the draft picks we already spent on Olineman would show something...But that doesn't seem to be happening....

Well.. Willie Colon is not a bad pickup.

I would rather we pick up guys in FA to plug a few holes.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Yea Willie Colon is ok but I still think he hasn't been very good this year....Maybe playing next side to waste of space Kendall Simmons has hurt his play?.....

As for FA yea that would be great to sign some FAs....But as we have seen the cost for average Olineman in free agency has sky rocketed...Thats what has made this whole Faneca thing worse......So if the Steelers were going to go the FA route they might as well resign Fancea since I don't think they will find any bargains out there....

Build through the draft seems the best option...Or hopefully Colon improves and becomes a solid RT and Chris Kemoeatu steps up....I like Chris and personally I rather seem him at RG then Simmons....

Preacher
11-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Yea Willie Colon is ok but I still think he hasn't been very good this year....Maybe playing next side to waste of space Kendall Simmons has hurt his play?.....

As for FA yea that would be great to sign some FAs....But as we have seen the cost for average Olineman in free agency has sky rocketed...Thats what has made this whole Faneca thing worse......So if the Steelers were going to go the FA route they might as well resign Fancea since I don't think they will find any bargains out there....

Build through the draft seems the best option...Or hopefully Colon improves and becomes a solid RT and Chris Kemoeatu steps up....I like Chris and personally I rather seem him at RG then Simmons....

The problem however, is that building through the draft makes us endure crappy o line play for a couple years until they are ready (unless we draft REAL high, then it is probably just a year). Also, Fanaca is going to demand TOP money... at an age where we are foolish to give top money. We can pick up two FA's for Fanaca's new salary plus a couple million. To me, it is worth it.

Galax Steeler
11-16-2007, 04:16 AM
Faneca will be missed but it is time to rebuild for our future and that will be in the draft this year.

Galax Steeler
11-16-2007, 04:20 AM
His teammates, especially the ones on the offensive line, swear there is nothing different about guard Alan Faneca, aside from a Bunyan-esque beard and red hair that flows to his shoulders.

They say his emotional rallying cry in the huddle on the winning touchdown drive against the Cleveland Browns, while conceding it was a little out of character, was not anything new.

Or that his post-touchdown celebrations with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger are a sign that Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, is savoring what appear to be his final days with the Steelers.

"To me, it wasn't too far off from how he normally is on game day, especially at crucial parts of the game," said left tackle Marvel Smith, who plays next to Faneca on the offensive line.
Sunday

* Game: Steelers (7-2) vs. Jets (1-8), 4:05 p.m.
* Where: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, N.J.
* TV: KDKA.

"He's been the same guy I've played with the last two years," said tight end Heath Miller. "He's going to give 100 percent no matter what."

"He was doing what a good leader does," said right tackle Willie Colon. "Alan has been doing it for a while."

Not many offensive linemen have been doing it as well for so long as Faneca, even for a franchise that boasts two of the greatest centers in NFL history -- Hall of Famer Mike Webster and seven-time Pro Bowl selection Dermontti Dawson.

He is in the middle of his 10th season with the Steelers, playing at the same level he always has, remaining the most important component in the offensive line that helps fuel the National Football League's No. 2 rushing attack.

Faneca, though, is also in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4,375,000, including a $1 million roster bonus, in 2007. And there appears to be no hope for renewal in sight -- a prognosis that has existed almost from the time Faneca had an uncharacteristic public spat with the organization in minicamp.

Nonetheless, Faneca said he has not approached this season any differently than the others, nor has he embraced what is happening on the field more fervently than past seasons. A possible exception is being humbled by his selection to the Steelers' 75th anniversary team, one of four current Steelers to be named to the all-time team.

"I don't think about it in that way," Faneca said. "It's a more generalized way -- that I've been here 10 years -- in that manner. I don't think anything else makes it mean any more or any less."

But, his teammates wouldn't blame him if he did.

"How can you not," Colon said. "He's only human. If you know it's your last time doing something ... it's what you want to make of it. He realizes it's out of his hands, all you can do is go out there and play his hardest."

Smith, who has been a starter since 2000, said he has had some small discussions with Faneca, 30, about his future with the organization, but it wasn't a "real important, sit-down conversation."

Added Smith: "To me, it's like business as usual. I don't see him sitting back, taking everything in, like it's the last time it's going to happen."

Nonetheless, Faneca stepped out of character when he came into the huddle and exhorted his teammates for what proved to be the winning touchdown drive in the 31-28 comeback victory against the Browns. According to guard Kendall Simmons, Faneca yelled: "You got to get it in [the end zone]. It's time to go. No matter who it is, we got to get it in and win this game."

"It put a little bit more fire in us," said Miller, who caught the winning 2-yard touchdown pass. "I don't think it's typically his demeanor, but, when something needs to be said, he'll step up and say it. He's the type of guy who has respect in this locker room. Everyone is going to listen when he says something because they know it's important."

Faneca said he did not recall exactly what he said, but he spoke up in the huddle because the offense had to go back on the field sooner than expected because of Joshua Cribbs' 100-yard kick return for touchdown. He said the offense was still tired from the previous drive that culminated with Roethlisberger's 30-yard touchdown run.

"It's a situation where we went down and scored, we had this big drive to get back in it, and they came back and scored a touchdown -- it kind of deflates you a little bit," Faneca said. "All of a sudden, you have to get back out there real fast. We got cut short on our break a little bit, and it deflates you a little. You have to get amped up to get back out there."

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Steelers have been plugging holes on the OL on the cheap for several years and it shows - they need to step up like they did in addressing future LB needs by drafting Timmons and Woodley with the first 2 picks in last year's draft by committing to the OL in the draft (although the DL has some significant age on it).

As for franchising Faneca, that would not only tee off Faneca but a lot of other vets. I cannot imagine the Steelers would go there - not because it would not be nice but because it would be counter-productive.

tony hipchest
11-16-2007, 06:12 PM
im watching the faneca interview by savran (mostly about his epilepsy) and he was asked if he was one of the ones who stepped up after last weeks game and volunteered to play on special teams. he said he was, but it was "quickly declined".

i have to say, alan has given more than i expected this season. i didnt expect his play to drop off too much, but i did expect a more detached, disgruntled, attitude.

i wonder if he gave up captainship in haste, or if it was more a passing of the torch thing and a little less of the moping i originally suspected.

either way he has proven to be a professional who wont hold a grudge and he has backed off nicely from his hard stance in the pre season.

infact, if we ever needed him to step in at left tackle, i think he would do it with glee :smile:

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2007, 06:23 PM
i have to say, alan has given more than i expected this season. i didnt expect his play to drop off too much, but i did expect a more detached, disgruntled, attitude.

i wonder if he gave up captainship in haste, or if it was more a passing of the torch thing and a little less of the moping i originally suspected.

either way he has proven to be a professional who wont hold a grudge and he has backed off nicely from his hard stance in the pre season.

Once the season started Faneca remembered how much he enjoys playing football - by doing so he has handled his last year as a Steeler with a lot more grace and commitment than his ex-head coach did when that coach thought he was underpaid during his last year.

On a more cold-blooded level, by not tanking the season Faneca has assured that barring injury he will earn a nice payday somewhere next year.

revefsreleets
11-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I think what I originally said was misinterpreted. Arians likes to use zone blocking, and I think we changed our blocking scheme a little this year.

Also, I'm not questioning Faneca's heart. I'm sure he's still giving 100%. The problem is that his talent is declining. His 100% is worth less then it was 2 years ago because he's just not as good. Why would we pay a guy MORE for LESS?

And an OG can come in out of college and start and not miss a beat. There is a considerable difference in the learning curve between a QB and an OG.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I think what I originally said was misinterpreted. Arians likes to use zone blocking, and I think we changed our blocking scheme a little this year.

Also, I'm not questioning Faneca's heart. I'm sure he's still giving 100%. The problem is that his talent is declining. His 100% is worth less then it was 2 years ago because he's just not as good. Why would we pay a guy MORE for LESS?

And an OG can come in out of college and start and not miss a beat. There is a considerable difference in the learning curve between a QB and an OG.

Exactly an OG can come out of college and start....Logan Mankins has started for the Pats as a rookie back in 2005 and has been a lynch pin for their Oline......

Last year the Chargers who were 14-2 started a rookie LT in Marcus McNeil....The Jets made the play-offs with a rookie at LT and Center.....This year the Colts drafted Tony Ugoh in the 2nd round and he was starting at LT until his injury....

I wouldn't be worried about rookies starting along the Oline....Other teams have started rookies along the Oline and havn't missed a beat....If a player can play he can play and doesn't matter if he is a rookie or not.....True there will be growing pains but the Steelers have to draft the right players....Thats the tough part....

revefsreleets
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
The good news is that C and OG (Either could be OG in the NFL) are not positions many teams are looking at in rd 1, or at least high rd 1. Assuming we are drafting 25-32, we could find a guy to help us out that late.

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2007, 05:17 PM
The good news is that C and OG (Either could be OG in the NFL) are not positions many teams are looking at in rd 1, or at least high rd 1. Assuming we are drafting 25-32, we could find a guy to help us out that late.
the bad news is , i don't believe there's any OG or C , that are regarded as 1st rd talent. fortunatly there's a few tackles coming out that are projected to make the transition to guard. hopefully micheal oher from ole miss will be available, AND we take him.

revefsreleets
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
It's way to early to assess talent. Remember Edgerin James? He showed up on draft boards because of one game at the end of the season (When he tore up FSU? I think it was FSU). I'm confident that by the end of this season there will be a guy that shows up.

Preacher
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Steelers have been plugging holes on the OL on the cheap for several years and it shows - they need to step up like they did in addressing future LB needs by drafting Timmons and Woodley with the first 2 picks in last year's draft by committing to the OL in the draft (although the DL has some significant age on it).

As for franchising Faneca, that would not only tee off Faneca but a lot of other vets. I cannot imagine the Steelers would go there - not because it would not be nice but because it would be counter-productive.

AD...

the rest of my post pointed out why we need to go with FA AND the draft. The draft will give us a future.. but unless we draft two "ready to play" players for the oline to challenge a couple players... (which there is NO WAY we can get that many to play this coming year... we need to go to FA to pick up a couple players as well. If we depend on just the draft, we are going to get our QB killed over the next couple of years.

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears
An aging veteran, Brown has a lot of experience opening holes for backs and allowing time for passers. He?s a solid guard who holds down his position quite well. If he decides to stick around, he may have a couple of good seasons left. Teams won?t line up to sign him, but there should be a handful that show interest.

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but there?s a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he could easily stay because of it.

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He?s 25 and is listed at 6?7? while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team?s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field. :toofunny:

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
A big, experienced guard, Womack could get a decent offer from any team missing out on a top tier target like Faneca. If Womack isn?t the outright starter in Seattle this season, look for him to find work elsewhere with an expanded role guaranteed.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen
OG P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons
OG Rick DeMulling UFA Indianapolis Colts
OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns
OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
OT Cory Lekkerkerker RFA San Diego Chargers
OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks
OG Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens
OT Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams
OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens
OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans
OT Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsOL.html

The Duke
11-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He?s 25 and is listed at 6?7? while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team?s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field. :toofunny:

I guess falling on the ground and being able to be over powered by a DB is high level of play. do they even know he's not starting anymore.

his future is a a tight end :toofunny:

Preacher
11-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I guess falling on the ground and being able to be over powered by a DB is high level of play. do they even know he's not starting anymore.

his future is a a tight end :toofunny:

I didn't realize that Essex and Kemo are both RFA's...

Maybe we can get someone to be intersested in them, and pick up a couple draft picks. Then we can trade our other picks and maybe move up on the number one, or a couple second picks to draft OL. If we can pick up a couple of starters... then we won' t have to worry about FA as much.

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Wouldn't it suck if Alan went to the pats or the browns?

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2007, 08:37 PM
AD...

the rest of my post pointed out why we need to go with FA AND the draft. The draft will give us a future.. but unless we draft two "ready to play" players for the oline to challenge a couple players... (which there is NO WAY we can get that many to play this coming year... we need to go to FA to pick up a couple players as well. If we depend on just the draft, we are going to get our QB killed over the next couple of years.

I agree the OL needs to be fixed big time but is like having a leaky roof for years and not doing anything about it until a section falls in. And rooks do start at not only guard but tackle so I bet the plan is to draft Faneca's replacement or move Simmons to LG and plug in a new RG (I recall Simmons started his first year)

If we go FA I do not think a Mahan type FA is the answer and if we are going for top shelf FAs then they should have paid Faneca since they will pay the same price for a top shelf outsider

Ignoring the OL in the higher rounds of last year's draft when they knew the Faneca negotiations were on the rocks and Starks was going to be gone after 2007 remains a mystery to me. The one decision that has Tomlin's fingerprints all over it with which i disagree was insisting on taking Timmons at #15 when they presumably could have sold that pick for a lower pick and still obtained Timmons. Combine that with burning draft picks to trade up for a punter (Sepulveda has been fine but he does not yet look to me like a kicker who supported the price paid to get him) and I guess the Steelers figured they could deal with the OL later - now the price for that deferral will be paid,.

fansince'76
11-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Ignoring the OL in the higher rounds of last year's draft when they knew the Faneca negotiations were on the rocks and Starks was going to be gone after 2007 remains a mystery to me.

I'm no draft expert, but I think outside of Joe Thomas, wasn't this year's draft class considered fairly weak as far as O-linemen were concerned? I have also heard the upcoming crop of O-linemen coming out will be much stronger?

Preacher
11-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I agree the OL needs to be fixed big time but is like having a leaky roof for years and not doing anything about it until a section falls in. And rooks do start at not only guard but tackle so I bet the plan is to draft Faneca's replacement or move Simmons to LG and plug in a new RG (I recall Simmons started his first year)

If we go FA I do not think a Mahan type FA is the answer and if we are going for top shelf FAs then they should have paid Faneca since they will pay the same price for a top shelf outsider

Ignoring the OL in the higher rounds of last year's draft when they knew the Faneca negotiations were on the rocks and Starks was going to be gone after 2007 remains a mystery to me. The one decision that has Tomlin's fingerprints all over it with which i disagree was insisting on taking Timmons at #15 when they presumably could have sold that pick for a lower pick and still obtained Timmons. Combine that with burning draft picks to trade up for a punter (Sepulveda has been fine but he does not yet look to me like a kicker who supported the price paid to get him) and I guess the Steelers figured they could deal with the OL later - now the price for that deferral will be paid,.

Leaky roof?

:sofunny::sofunny: When the roof leaked, my grandma would tell grandpa to fix the leak. He would look up and say, "No.. it is raining."

When it wasn't raining she would tell him to fix it. He would say, "The roof isn't leaking!"

She would get ticked, he would get out of work, the roof would leek again the next rainstorm.

Seems quite applicable to how our O line has been handled.

However, I guess I am just not as sold on faneca as you are. I would rather pay top dollar for a 26 year old O line player then one that has already passed 30.

I would also rather pay 1.3 times the amount we would pay for Faneca in order to get 2 decent players... maybe not as good as Faneca, but better then Simmons and the backups.

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm no draft expert, but I think outside of Joe Thomas, wasn't this year's draft class considered fairly weak as far as O-linemen were concerned? I have also heard the upcoming crop of O-linemen coming out will be much stronger?
it was weak in terms of " can't miss guys " , guards aren't valued as nearly as much as tackles, and very rarely will a guard go in the top 20. we had a shot at a few olinemen who are NOW starters. tackles .. tony ugoh/indy...joe staley/SF......guards....ben grubs/ravens....justin blaylock/atlanta....arron sears/tampa

there's more tackle talent coming out this year compared to last , ASSUMING the juniors throw there hat in the lottery. either way they'll all be snatched up in the first 2 rds. as far as quality natural guards go. the pickins are much slimmer. there are a few tackles who project as guards in the nfl.

here's a link to one of the better college player ranking sites...
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OT.php

revefsreleets
11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
My best guess is that the Steelers assumed there would be a player coming out this year that could replace Faneca. They knew well in advance that they wouldn't be paying Alan what he wanted, and the Steelers are generally pretty proactive in these matters.