PDA

View Full Version : A more positive analysis of our offense

Mosca
11-15-2007, 11:38 AM
OR, As if one was needed, but some people are still insisting that there are problems with a team that is on its way to setting franchise records in almost every category...

There IS another team on the field. The only times we've lost is when our opponents have stacked against the run and we've shot ourselves in the foot trying to pass. Because it's a copycat league, that is what the bad teams we've played have tried to do. (Even with the Browns stacking against the run, Parker had over 100 yards and over 4 ypc. The danger for defenses is not that 4 ypc; it is that 50 yarder that goes for 6. Yards don't show up in the playoff picture, after all.) As long as other teams have thought we couldn't pass effectively, or without interceptions and drops, that was going to happen; stack the run and hope the Steelers screw up, throw an INT, rattle Roethlisberger.

Now that we've responded with one of the top passing games in the league, look for that to change. Teams know that stacking against the run means a steady diet of Holmes, Ward, Washington, and Miller, with Roethlisberger's elusiveness meaning that you have to bring more than four guys if you want to have a chance. While the offensive line does have some issues, especially with being overloaded on speed rushes, the bright side is that when the pocket DOES break down and Roethlisberger starts improvising, they are great at the one-on-one blocking that keeps the play rolling, and they don't hold when BR is scrambling. THAT is a big deal. We don't see any of those improvised plays getting called back. Because our guys do well one-on-one, I'm still thinking that it's a symptom of co-ordination, of not effectively assigning blocking schemes. If so, it WILL get better.

Look for the Jets to try to play with more balance, and that will mean that we will be able to both run AND pass at will. Since our essential nature is that of a running team, look for a big day from Parker. Poor Jets. They will be overmatched. There will be no letdown after the Cleveland comeback win.

This team has evolved tremendously in the past two weeks; it's been reflected in the attention from the national media. Those of us closest to the situation sometimes see it from the inside out, and naturally we want every off tackle run to go for 6 yards, every sweep to go for 12, and every pass to go for 20. But if you look at it from the outside in, and ask why things happened and what happened in response, and then try to extrapolate it into the future, you can't help but be pleased by the current state of things.

tony hipchest
11-15-2007, 11:48 AM
nice. i just read (and posted elsewhere) that we are on pace to break the steelers all time scoring record and our 250+ points in 9 games into the season is the most ever to this point. our 28 points per game is also on record pace. if you look at our 5 highest scoring years all of them resulted in an afc champ game appearance or better with exception of 2002.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07319/834043-66.stm

Record pace

The offense is on pace to score more points than any Steelers team in the franchise's 75-year history.

Their 253 points are the most they have scored through nine games. Their previous high was 252 in 1975.

That '75 team scored 373 points when the season was only 14 games. If this year's team maintains its 28.1 points per game average, it will be the highest average and the most points.

The top five Steelers scoring seasons and their average points per game: 416 points in 1979 (26.0), 407 points in '95 (25.4), 390 points in 2002 (24.4), 389 points in '05 (24.3) and 387 points in '84 (24.2).

steelermuzik
11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the nice post. I've been stating in other threads that I'm quite pleased with our offense. It's not quite what we're used to, however it's been effective and I can't wait to see how much further it evolves. :cheer:

slippy
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
not only is the O expanding, but the D is also.

it seems we can now play cover 2 against passing offences and be effective. in the past if there was no pressure our corners were toasted.

i too am worried about the O line, but the big picture sure looks great so far.

steelermuzik
11-16-2007, 11:20 AM
The other thing I've noticed, or at least it seems to be the case to me, is the offense is hitting its peak. Big Ben seems to be on the same page as the recievers, whether improvising or not. There's a confidence about them that I hope they roll with into the postseason.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
nice. i just read (and posted elsewhere) that we are on pace to break the steelers all time scoring record and our 250+ points in 9 games into the season is the most ever to this point. our 28 points per game is also on record pace. if you look at our 5 highest scoring years all of them resulted in an afc champ game appearance or better with exception of 2002.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07319/834043-66.stm

That P-G story illustrates how awesome that '75 team was. Scoring at that level in the mid-70s was extraordinary and done with a run first offense.

When combined with the defense being at its peak, IMO the 75 team was better than even the 78 team, which is generally regarded as the best Steelers team to win the SB (the greatest Steelers team of all, according to The Chief himself, was the '76 team)

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Great post. Its nice to see a balanced team, with great stats on both sides of the ball, forcing the opposition to change what they do in order to adjust to our schemes instead of the other way around.