View Full Version : Clark has spleen removed

83-Steelers-43
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Steelers' Ryan Clark has spleen removed
Thursday, November 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
By Ed Bouchette

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers safety Ryan Clark is recovering in a local hospital after having his spleen removed, sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today.

Clark's 2007 season ended when the Steelers placed him on injured reserve this week but doctors did give him some good news: He likely can play football again.

Clark, 28, showed little improvement since he was discovered with an inflamed spleen after he played in Denver Oct. 21. He was admitted that night to a Denver hospital, and doctors told him the problem with his spleen occurred because of complications from the exertion of playing football in the high altitude as it related to the sickle cell trait.

"It's a blood condition I have that I have to stay on top of, as far as going to high altitude and things like that," Clark said three days after the game in Denver. "Dealing with the weather, over-exertion, dehydration -- I just need to be smarter."

Clark said he had similar problems when he played for the Washington Redskins during a game in Denver, but that it was diagnosed differently then.

Second-year pro Anthony Smith started in place of Clark the past three games at free safety and will become the permanent starter.

As long as there are no more complications, Clark could return to play next season. He signed with the Steelers from the Redskins as an unrestricted free agent in 2006 after starting free safety Chris Hope left as a free agent to sign with Tennessee.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07319/834215-66.stm

stlrtruck
11-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about Clark but at the same time - Smith deserves a shot at being the starter!

I hope Clark gets healthy soon, and can challenge Smith during next year's training camp!

Rhee Rhee
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
hopefully he'll be back to full strength next season... but i definitely thiink we coulda used him and anthony down the road.. it may come bak to hurt us

The Duke
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Hopefully he's feels better now. Most important thing is to take care of himself

I hope Clark gets healthy soon, and can challenge Smith during next year's training camp!

that shall be interesting

Fire Haley
11-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Best wishes to Ryan. Hope he gets healthy again....football or not.

Chris Simms had his spleen removed too (without the blood complications) and they're not sure he'll ever play again.

Terrible luck.

Preacher
11-15-2007, 05:28 PM
1st... I hope Clark is ok. May God bless and keep him, give him his health back.

2nd, Hope he becomes healthy enough to suit up again!

Last... I am excited for Smith...

stillers4me
11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow.........best of luck to him.. I'm glad he's on the road to recovery.

polamalufan43
11-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow, this is really bad luck.
No doubt Smith will do well,
Good Luck to Clark on getting better

~PF43:tt02:

jjpro11
11-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Best wishes to Ryan. Hope he gets healthy again....football or not.

Chris Simms had his spleen removed too (without the blood complications) and they're not sure he'll ever play again.

Terrible luck.

i dont think clark's injury is quite as serious as simms. simms had his spleen rupture and continued playing, further hurting it. he was really messed up. but im not a doctor, so whatever.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Simms isn't starting because he ruptured his speen and they took it out. He isn't starting because his head coach brought in veteran Jeff Garcia, and Simms wasn't good enough to beat him out for the job.

Galax Steeler
11-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Good luck to clark and may we see him next year,time for smith to shine.