PDA

View Full Version : Bonds indicted by federal grand jury

Mosca
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Perjury and obstruction of justice. Headlines only so far, story still being written.

83-Steelers-43
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm sure he will get off clean.......:yawn:

Barry Bonds indicted on perjury, obstruction charges
Associated Press
Updated: November 15, 2007, 5:27 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO -- Baseball superstar Barry Bonds was charged Thursday with perjury and obstruction of justice for allegedly lying when he said he did not use performance-enhancing drugs.

The indictment, unsealed Thursday by federal prosecutors in San Francisco, is the culmination of a four-year federal probe into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury investigating steroid use by elite athletes.

The indictment comes three months after the 43-year-old Bonds, one of the biggest names in professional sports, passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader, his sport's most hallowed record. Bonds, who parted ways with the San Francisco Giants at the end of last season and has yet to sign with another team, also holds the game's single-season home run record of 73.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron amid the adulation of San Franciscans and the scorn of baseball fans almost everywhere else, due to his notoriously prickly personality and nagging steroid allegations, a grand jury quietly worked behind closed doors to put the finishing touches on the long-rumored indictment.

"I'm surprised," said John Burris, one of Bonds' attorneys, "but there's been an effort to get Barry for a long time. "I'm curious what evidence they have now they didn't have before."

The indictment charges Bonds with lying when he said that he didn't knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the single season home-run record.

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads.

He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.

"Greg wouldn't do that," Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. "He knows I'm against that stuff."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112487

verks36
11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I know barry probblly took riods

but i hope he doesnt get convicted

He is the scape goat for all the other steroid use in baseball at the time it isnt like he was the only guy on it and its not like you inject yourself and poof you automatically get the home run record

polamalufan43
11-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Uh,

Simple,
work hard, don't do 'roids
you'll be better off

simplest lesson ever.

~PF43:tt02:

verks36
11-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Ok they investgated him fo 4YEARS
IF the government watches any1 that long they will find them doing something illegal

btw nice sig

Godfather
11-15-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm sure he will get off clean.......:yawn:

Why would you possibly think a famous person will beat the rap in California?

Borski
11-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I know barry probblly took riods

but i hope he doesnt get convicted

He is the scape goat for all the other steroid use in baseball at the time it isnt like he was the only guy on it and its not like you inject yourself and poof you automatically get the home run record

I agree, I've been defending this guy in the past, I know he most likely took 'roids, but back then every one was doing it and it wasn't against the rules or even against the law back then. some people recommended them saying it was good for your body.

83-Steelers-43
11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Uh,

Simple,
work hard, don't do 'roids
you'll be better off

simplest lesson ever.

~PF43:tt02:

:thumbsup::cheers::nw:

http://www.scaredmonkeys.com/fun-images/bonds_2Dcheater_small.jpg

HometownGal
11-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Maybe he can get a job as a water boy with the Cheatriots since they have so much in common. :thumbsup:

I hope they fry this loser. His Dad must be turning in his grave.

revefsreleets
11-16-2007, 09:07 AM
"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads."

Barry is a 600-650 career HR guy who cheated, then lied (and is continuing to lie) about it all.

Hope he gets 10 years, a permanent MLB ban and excommunication from the HOF.

TackleMeBen
11-16-2007, 09:15 AM
i am sure bonds did roids, but i hope he gets off because they are just on a witch hunt to nail someone. and seriously, dont our government have more important things to worry about than some pro athlete taking steroids? if they nail him that means they should nail sosa, and mcguire too.

baseball should not worry about what happen in the past, b/c its in the past and there isnt anything they can do about it, they can only fix it for the future and take care of putting policies in place that will make a player think twice before doing steroids.

revefsreleets
11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
baseball should not worry about what happen in the past, b/c its in the past and there isnt anything they can do about it, they can only fix it for the future and take care of putting policies in place that will make a player think twice before doing steroids.

Barry screwed himself by being so callous and brazen about it all. And I do agree with the above: They can start by having the threat of prison and lifetime bans in their pocket for the most egregious offenders.

Burn Barry, Burn!

fansince'76
11-16-2007, 01:32 PM
4-year federal probe to determine if Bonds was lying about juicing (when a simple comparison of pictures of him from earlier in his career and later in his career makes it very clear he was). Our tax dollars hard at work.

Borski
11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads."

Barry is a 600-650 career HR guy who cheated, then lied (and is continuing to lie) about it all.

Hope he gets 10 years, a permanent MLB ban and excommunication from the HOF.

wow, 10 years? you really hope a guy gets 10 years for something that didn't hurt anyone? come on, be serious. the government should be cracking down on gangs, rapist, murders. why should they care about a guy who lied about taking drugs a LONG time ago!:banging:

even President Bush says these charges are ridiculous

revefsreleets
11-16-2007, 02:41 PM
You're right, of course.

Make it 25 years.

I LOATHE Barry Bonds.

HometownGal
11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
wow, 10 years? you really hope a guy gets 10 years for something that didn't hurt anyone? come on, be serious. the government should be cracking down on gangs, rapist, murders. why should they care about a guy who lied about taking drugs a LONG time ago!:banging:

even President Bush says these charges are ridiculous

Perjury is a federal offense punishable by incarceration. His steroid use didn't hurt anyone? :jawdrop: This guy is supposed to be a role model for kids for God's sake. I hope they take his HR record away from him, too, and like rev - I'm all for that lying roid freak getting 25 years or more.

Borski
11-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Perjury is a federal offense punishable by incarceration. His steroid use didn't hurt anyone? :jawdrop: This guy is supposed to be a role model for kids for God's sake. I hope they take his HR record away from him, too, and like rev - I'm all for that lying roid freak getting 25 years or more.

I'm not condoning his 'roid use, but back when it did it, it wasn't against the rules and I don't think there was even a law against it at the time, some people even thought it was a healthy thing for your body.

They also have never proven legally that he used 'roids, they have supposed evidence that he took them but that evidence wasn't legally taken. I am against players using performance enhancers but this guy is being made into a scapegoat for the rest of the league. :coffee:

revefsreleets
11-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Barry is not the "victim" here. Steroids use in the MLB already had it's day in court in round one when McGwire and all those other guys were under scrutiny. And when you say "When it did it" (assuming you are meaning when "he" did it), when exactly are you referring to? Barry was cheating last year, too. He has enough money to buy the latest crap to stay ahead of the game. He was cheating all along. If he went off the juice, he would have either gotten fat or shrunk or have been forced to retire. He did none of the above. He juiced just long enough to steal his record.

His cheating is more obnoxious and brazen because he was knowingly cheating in pursuit of one of baseball's sacred records, and he knew he would have never stolen the record without "help", and, what's worse , while he lied and denied all the way to the record, he actually convinced some of you that what he did was alright! That's the most shocking thing. He lied and cheated and now that he's caught lying to ALL of us, you guys are still defending him!

Crushzilla
11-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm not condoning his 'roid use, but back when it did it, it wasn't against the rules and I don't think there was even a law against it at the time, some people even thought it was a healthy thing for your body.

Sounds a lot like how my 62 year old Dad got into smoking cigarettes...

Borski
11-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Sounds a lot like how my 62 year old Dad got into smoking cigarettes...

exactly like that, once there proven bad for you they might have you addicted already

fansince'76
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM

I would be interested to know who "some people" were. Lyle Alzado died of brain cancer in 1992 that, although not directly attributable to his steroid use, made a lot of folks very aware of the dangers of steroid use. There is no way that Bonds was taking them that far back.

Borski
11-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I would be interested to know who "some people" were. Lyle Alzado died of brain cancer in 1992 that, although not directly attributable to his steroid use, made a lot of folks very aware of the dangers of steroid use. There is no way that Bonds was taking them that far back.

I might of backed myself into a corner...I coulda of sworn I read that docs were recommending it still in the mid-90's but I can't find anything....stone away:bricks:

I still don't think Bonds should be singled out, maybe banned from MLB if the tests are confirmed as positive, but I don't support the jail time.

fansince'76
11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I might of backed myself into a corner...I coulda of sworn I read that docs were recommending it still in the mid-90's but I can't find anything....stone away:bricks:

I still don't think Bonds should be singled out, maybe banned from MLB if the tests are confirmed as positive, but I don't support the jail time.

I'm not gonna stone you - I don't think the feds should be involved in the 1st place.

Borski
11-17-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm not gonna stone you - I don't think the feds should be involved in the 1st place.

I agree with that completely, its not their business and they are much more important thing they should be worrying about aka murders, rapist, pedophiles, terrorists, drug dealers....the list goes on and on, and are a much higher threat to society then some guy juicing up.

JAG151
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM
So. the fact remains that the federal govt. was and still is involved, by the request of MLB commish. Bud Selig I believe, the fact remains that he lied to the Grand Jury, now if people in the past have received jail time for lying to the govt, and people in the future will go to jail for lying to the feds, why should Bonds be different? And I think if they can prove that Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa or anyone else cheated, they should be prepared to face the music, weather thats a ban from baseball or the HOF or whatever!!