PDA

View Full Version : dont knock the DB's or pass rush

tony hipchest
11-17-2007, 01:26 AM
i have heard the typical gripes this season that the steelers pass coverage is too soft, that we dont get enough sacks, and that we allow too many 3rd down conversions on passing downs (of course the important thing is we allow the fewest points).

The Steelers are imposing their will on opposing offenses. They're reducing teams to settling for the short pass because they generally don't have enough time to throw long.

Big plays are becoming passe against the Steelers, who are the only team this season that hasn't allowed a pass play of 40 or more yards.

Last Sunday's 31-28 win over Cleveland was a good example of the Steelers' defense in action.

The Browns scored on their first possession, driving 71 yards in 16 plays. Quarterback Derek Anderson was 7 of 10 for 56 yards on the drive. His longest completion was 12 yards.

The Steelers tightened their coverage against Cleveland's receivers, giving Anderson a smaller window to throw into. As a result, Anderson was only 9 of 25 for 67 yards the rest of the game.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_538388.html

this defense only has 1 vulnerability and its a quick drop, no huddle offense that can maintain a quick strike pace for a whole game. not many teams can do that. thats why they call it the "2 minute drill"

Crushzilla
11-17-2007, 01:31 AM
If our defense being successful means that they are going to use this python strategy, where they give less and less each drive, then that is fine.

I'd rather have them feel out an offense and make minor adjustments so they can shut them down in the second half then to have them come out gungho, give up a TD, and not learn anything about the offense.

jjpro11
11-17-2007, 04:48 AM
our defense can be frustrating to watch at times.. but it seems to work more so than not.

ohiosteelerfan20
11-17-2007, 07:43 AM
I like the flexabilty the D has shown this year. In years past, we were strickly zone blitz, and if it didnt work our DBs were burned far too many times. When Mike Tomlin was hired, it was asumed he would improve the DBs. I bet Ike thinks he has.