PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu not an elite Safety this year

Carolina Steelers
11-18-2007, 06:32 PM
First off this game today sucked we lost I know we are not going to go 16-0 every year but still I hate win they lose, but life will go on I am putting on my STEELER sweatshirt right now I'm on my way to Walmart. Want lose faith I remember when we went 15-1 no Super Bowl then the next year 11-5 Champs. Now back to the topic it seems Troy as missed so many tackles this year not just today but all year, I remember last year he made a play every gm but not this year. Maybe the new contract has something to do with that. He is no Bob Sanders

ShutDown24
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I have been thinking that all year, but the rest of the secondary has made up for his mistakes enough to keep winning until today.

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Troy had a bad day - no getting around it

Sharkissle29
11-18-2007, 06:46 PM
He's had better years, he hasnt played horribly, but he's had better years

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 06:46 PM
First off this game today sucked we lost I know we are not going to go 16-0 every year but still I hate win they lose, but life will go on I am putting on my STEELER sweatshirt right now I'm on my way to Walmart. Want lose faith I remember when we went 15-1 no Super Bowl then the next year 11-5 Champs. Now back to the topic it seems Troy as missed so many tackles this year not just today but all year, I remember last year he made a play every gm but not this year. Maybe the new contract has something to do with that. He is no Bob Sanders

don't blame polamalu for not tackling the RB for the D-line and LBs. the D-line and LBs were pretty much invisible today.

ShutDown24
11-18-2007, 06:47 PM
don't blame polamalu for not tackling the RB for the D-line and LBs. the D-line and LBs were pretty much invisible today.

They hurried Clemens all day???

HometownGal
11-18-2007, 06:50 PM
:yawn::coffee::yawn:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I called out Troy weeks ago on the other Steelers site I used to post at and thats the main reason I don't post on that site anymore...But for real anybody who thinks Troy's play has been as good as in 2004 and 2005 is seriously mistaken.....He is still good but not playing at the high level we are use to seeing out of #43......Sure he has caused a couple fumbles, broke up some passes and made some tackles.....but no INTs or sacks is really disturbing...His Taz role isn't as effective as it once was and people are right when they suggest he is struggling with the Cover-2 that Tomlin has brought to the defense.........But great players should be able to adjust to any scheme....So I hope Troy can step it up.....We need him and some of the game changing plays he use to make.....One of those type plays could have been huge today...

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
They hurried Clemens all day???

what does the QB have to do with jones running rampant? sorry, i was referring to the lack of effort against the run.

Stlrs4Life
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
This loss today was not on the defense. The defense gave our offense many opportunities today and they did not convert. FGs are fine, but you have to get a TD in there occasionally, and we didn't do that. Our OL today gave up what 7 sacks today? The Jets had 9 all season! Our OL is pathetic.

jjpro11
11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
This loss today was not on the defense. The defense gave our offense many opportunities today and they did not convert. FGs are fine, but you have to get a TD in there occasionally, and we didn't do that. Our OL today gave up what 7 sacks today? The Jets had 9 all season! Our OL is pathetic.

our oline was easily the worst part of the game.. but the defense was just as bad at tackling. we seemed to have the right play called a number of times, but just could not wrap up, tackle, and finish the play.

BozMan
11-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Troy seems to be playing too aggressively and over-pursuing the ball carrier too many times this year. A lot of times he is in the right position to contain and wrap up the ball carrier, but instead he gets juked and whiffs. Is he still playing hurt? Is he trying too hard to make a good impression with the new coaches?

OneForTheToe
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Troy dd not lose this game for us. Who fell for the flea flicker, IKE? Who got a roughing penaly Aaron smith? Who got caught holding in the endzone? Who missed tackles all day, everyone? Shall I go on? It is a team sport. We did not execute well on either side of the bal ... period.

Carolina Steelers
11-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Some people get so defensive when it comes to Ben, Hines, & Troy. Troy did not lose the gm for us, all I said that he is not the same player he was the past 2 years. No big plays hardley any tackles behind the line just looks like a reg. safety not an elite safety ive been used to.

Steel Warrior
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Troy certainly didn't lose this game but does need to go back to tackling school, he whiffed on several today.
:smoker:

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM

D gave up the long drive starting at the Jets 14 with < 3 minutes to go & was fortunate the game even went to OT - it was a team effort (featuring a late but crucial ST screwup)

klick81
11-18-2007, 07:50 PM
It was a team effort, and Troy DID contribute to the loss. He is not perfect (and guess what? IT'S OK TO CALL HIM OUT ON IT!).

zoneblitz43
11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Troy had a bad game. He does a lot of behind the scenes work. Like the Ravens game, he helped James Harrison make those big plays, and while he may not be the big play safety he used to be, he is still an important part of this defense.

Infamix
11-19-2007, 03:09 AM
He's been pretty inconsistant, that's for sure. He needs to learn how to plant his feet and wrap the defender up. I did see him make some nice plays against the run last week but today was definitely a bad game. And no, he cannot be considered elite if you look at safteys such as Sanders, Reed, etc. but he's solid.

Galax Steeler
11-19-2007, 04:13 AM

Agreed offensive line needs major overhaul.

Steel Pit
11-19-2007, 04:47 AM
The "Old Troy" has been tucked away in the closet for quite a while now. Troy hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury of LAST SEASON! It seems to me as if he doesn't want to hammer the ball carrier anymore.

I have no problem with people calling him out. Check his numbers after the shoulder injury of last season. If you've watched him play this year through "Polamalu colored glasses", then I would suggest that you get in touch with reality and check his numbers this season. The numbers are average at best.

I guess that I just expect A LOT more from the Steelers highest paid player ever.

SteelCurtain
11-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Not only is he over pursuing and missing tackles, but his coverage is horrendous. He is always getting burned...definitely not the same troy this year

jjpro11
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
the prior 2 games he played great.. just like everyone else on the team, he has played inconsistent.

BlastFurnace
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
The "Old Troy" has been tucked away in the closet for quite a while now. Troy hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury of LAST SEASON! It seems to me as if he doesn't want to hammer the ball carrier anymore.

I have no problem with people calling him out. Check his numbers after the shoulder injury of last season. If you've watched him play this year through "Polamalu colored glasses", then I would suggest that you get in touch with reality and check his numbers this season. The numbers are average at best.

I guess that I just expect A LOT more from the Steelers highest paid player ever.

Bingo! It has been since the Miami game last season since we have seen the old Troy.

Everything you said is right on the money.

oldschool
11-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Agree, Troy has been just dropping his shoulder to try and knock the ball carrier off his feet, ever since his shoulder injury last year. I haven't seen him try to wrap up a tackle for a long time.

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
That is a great observation as to the potentially chronic effects of Troy's shoulder injury & why the 2006 season opener Miami game was a bright line inflection point with regard to Troy's sound tackling.

If anyone can have the time to do it (I will try) the question of Troy's shoulder is one I would like to submit to Ed.B. of the P-G in his weekly P-G chat tomorrow at 1:30-2. Ed.B.usually gives reasonably straightforward answers to straightforward questions (as opposed to those of the "why are we not scoring more points?" variety)

On a related note, Cowher of course kept having Troy play with one arm, just as he had Ben play immediately after the appendectomy and following the concussion in 2006.:dang:

traci8
11-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Not only is he over pursuing and missing tackles, but his coverage is horrendous. He is always getting burned...definitely not the same troy this year

Great post!.

Steelfan4ever
11-19-2007, 07:38 PM
How many missed tackles did he have due to over persuit in the Jets game?

Answer: ALOT!!!!!

hellbread
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
yes troy missed a lot of key tackles against the jets. every player in the nfl can have a bad game or 2. it doesnt meen they are not 'elite' hell troy is one of the best safeties in the league. offenses always have to account for troy or they will get burned. that in itself helps our defense more than the statistics show. just my two cents.

tony hipchest
11-19-2007, 11:36 PM
yes troy missed a lot of key tackles against the jets. every player in the nfl can have a bad game or 2. it doesnt meen they are not 'elite' hell troy is one of the best safeties in the league. offenses always have to account for troy or they will get burned. that in itself helps our defense more than the statistics show. just my two cents.i'll add my 2 cents to yours and make it 4. many of the tackles that troy misses are plays alot of safeties wouldnt even be involved with in the 1st place.

hellbread
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
i'll add my 2 cents to yours and make it 4. many of the tackles that troy misses are plays alot of safeties wouldnt even be involved with in the 1st place.

then i guess we are agreed then? :cheers: he has a nose for the ball and offenses have to account for him because he is where most safeties are not....everywhere.:wink02:

OneForTheToe
11-20-2007, 12:26 AM
i'll add my 2 cents to yours and make it 4. many of the tackles that troy misses are plays alot of safeties wouldnt even be involved with in the 1st place.

That is absolutely true. If you watch him sometimes he will leave his area and fly across the field to get in on, or close to, a tackle that very few could ever get to. I think that is one of the reasons so many point to his play asbieng flawed in games. Of course, one legit critisism is that he does have a habit of trying to blow a player up instead of wrapping up the tackle.