PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop with all the pessimism?

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Really. I'm tired of hearing people be such pests. Incase you haven't noticed what place are win? 1st. How far ahead are we in reality? 2 games.

Yeah we lost to the Jets, oh well, losses like these are part of football. We can overcome these. It has been done before, this team can do it again. Let's all be believers. Let's move on from this and start moving focus towards the Phins trying to go 8-3 not drop to 7-4.

Infamix
11-18-2007, 06:41 PM
I didn't hear anyone saying the year is over, but being over-optimistic isn't right either. I think the general consensus was that we are not elite, which is right.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I have no problems with fans being critical of their team especially after a loss like this....I have done it before myself.....But you know what its just a game and really I still love this team no matter what....So you're right SCM....Even if the Steelers stumble the rest of the year and the Brown keep winning and win the AFC North...The Steelers are still my team.....

RunWillieRun
11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I didn't hear anyone saying the year is over, but being over-optimistic isn't right either. I think the general consensus was that we are not elite, which is right.

Yeah I agree with this statement....I prefer a realist outlook: not a great team, but not a mediocre team either. We are somewhere inbetween. I think it is okay to be frustrated and a little pissed off after the sorry performance today.

X-Terminator
11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm optimistic as always, but the bottom line is that good teams that are supposed to be contenders DO NOT lose to 1-8 bottom feeders like the Jets, plain and simple. They will still win the division and make the playoffs, but this is NOT an elite team. We have too many holes that can be and have been exploited to be considered elite.

ohiosteelerfan20
11-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I mean really, what does it mean to be elite in week 11. I have a superbowl 40 hat. I have never seen a mid season elite hat. Yea it sucks that we lost to another weak team, but we're still in controll of the div. What did we learn in 05, just get to the playoff and anything can happen.

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I mean really, what does it mean to be elite in week 11. I have a superbowl 40 hat. I have never seen a mid season elite hat. Yea it sucks that we lost to another weak team, but we're still in controll of the div. What did we learn in 05, just get to the playoff and anything can happen.

Exactly.

It's about time someone showed some optimsim.

I'm not a guy who puts his team down. Yeah, I'll make some criticism of what they do, but what happens on the field is what matters. We didn't finish the job today. But I never heard of a 13-3 team not making the playoffs. Heck even 12-4.

stlrtruck
11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't mind losing but what really gets my blood boiling is when the team plays in a way that is not the Steelers WAY!

I know our team is better and as a fan, I EXPECT MORE!

Win or Lose, I love the Steelers but at least earn your paychecks!!

Sidenote: Chris Collinsworth is going to have another Brady love fest on national television and unfortunately those who watch the game will have to hear it. How about that question, "Are the Steelers in the same league as the Patriots and Colts?" Was that slobber or jism on your chin Chris!?

stlrtruck
11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Exactly.

We didn't finish the job today. .

Let's be honest here, we didn't start the job today (LOL)!

But the game is over, my temper is simmering down and I'm looking forward to a nice Thanksgiving, and a beautiful weekend in Da 'Burgh!!!!

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm optimistic as always, but the bottom line is that good teams that are supposed to be contenders DO NOT lose to 1-8 bottom feeders like the Jets, plain and simple. They will still win the division and make the playoffs, but this is NOT an elite team. We have too many holes that can be and have been exploited to be considered elite.well put x, i've been saying this all year. this is the worst offensive line i've seen for the steelers since the early 80's. unless they somehow get thier shit together, a SB is nothing more than an unrealistic dream.

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Really. I'm tired of hearing people be such pests. Incase you haven't noticed what place are win? 1st. How far ahead are we in reality? 2 games.

Yeah we lost to the Jets, oh well, losses like these are part of football. We can overcome these. It has been done before, this team can do it again. Let's all be believers. Let's move on from this and start moving focus towards the Phins trying to go 8-3 not drop to 7-4.

the same can be said for blind optimism? after the ravens' game the rah-rah fans were talking about being an elite team, killing the pats and winning the SB.

i am fine with losses, but it's the reason you lose that's killing the steelers.

hey if the steelers lose the rest of their games let's just move on and focus on the next season:shake01:

:wink02:

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
well put x, i've been saying this all year. this is the worst offensive line i've seen for the steelers since the early 80's. unless they somehow get thier shit together, a SB is nothing more than an unrealistic dream.

IMO, i think the O-line from 2003 was the worst. but that had more to do with injuries.

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2007, 07:11 PM
the same can be said for blind optimism? after the ravens' game the rah-rah fans were talking about being an elite team, killing the pats and winning the SB.

i am fine with losses, but it's the reason you lose that's killing the steelers.

hey if the steelers lose the rest of their games let's just move on and focus on the next season:shake01:

:wink02:

They won't lose the rest. They will win a lot more games. We just have to move on.

NV STEELERS 723
11-18-2007, 07:27 PM
But we need to run the ball better, and protect Ben... Ben can't do it all every week...our SP Teams really sucks right now though..it seems like its always something...

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 07:28 PM
They won't lose the rest. They will win a lot more games. We just have to move on.

i wouldn't say that at all. with a pourous O-line and an even worse special teams anything is possible. moving on is not the answer. correcting the problems is the answer.

SteelCityMan786
11-18-2007, 07:38 PM
i wouldn't say that at all. with a pourous O-line and an even worse special teams anything is possible. moving on is not the answer. correcting the problems is the answer.

The first step to correcting them is to move on and forget about what happened. If we just play like we're capable, then we'll win.

X-Terminator
11-18-2007, 07:43 PM
The first step to correcting them is to move on and forget about what happened. If we just play like we're capable, then we'll win.

Actually the first step to correcting them is to actually correct them. Unfortunately though, the OL is beyond repair. I've now accepted that fact. The talent simply isn't there. I mean, they've looked bad in some of the wins they've had. Ben ran around like a chicken with its head cut off in the Ravens game, but was still able to make plays. He didn't even have a chance to do that today.

fansince'76
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Actually the first step to correcting them is to actually correct them. Unfortunately though, the OL is beyond repair. I've now accepted that fact. The talent simply isn't there.

Agreed - it's not technique or scheme, we simply have a bunch of stiffs on the OL.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Agreed - it's not technique or scheme, we simply have a bunch of stiffs on the OL.

Agree......I say draft at least 3 Olineman in this upcoming draft....Really I wouldn't mind 4....Some talent needs to be injected into this unit big time.....

revefsreleets
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
No, I think there is a flaw in the scheme. I do think we are tinkering with zone blocking, and it isn't working. Remember, 3/5ths of this line won a SB, and Colon won the job over another SB RT.

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM

how are you going to correct them if you forget about them? you have to analyze what went wrong. the steelers aren't capable of protecting the QB or opening holes for the running game. you don't seem to get it. the O-line isn't going to get better. simmons isn't going to learn how to block all of the sudden.

stillers4me
11-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Who cares if some old, has beens don't consider us elite??

We won a superbowl in '05 and they still bitched about us.

steelpride12
11-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Its hard to correct anything because were just that good, but you cant exicute very well if you don't have the time to do because the o-line is giving ben about one second before everyone is in his face.
Also if we play defense like that again ill puke. No one could tackle and lack of a blitz on most plays make me sick!

HometownGal
11-19-2007, 07:32 AM
How can you NOT be pessimistic when you watch your team get man-handled and run over by a 1-8 team like the Jets??

Pessimistic doesn't mean we don't bleed Black & Gold, or that we've lost faith in them, or that we're 'rah-rah' or bandwagon fans..... it just means that we've got common sense and can see that this team needs some big time help in some areas.

I'm not pessimistic at all because I don't EXPECT the Steelers to get into the playoffs every season or bring home an annual Lombardi. I didn't expect the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl going into the season but I did expect them to lose 4-5 games this season. I have no problem with constructive criticism and I'm sure the team doesn't either. It's the DESTRUCTIVE criticism that I've seen on this board since yesterday that has me seething.

touchdownward
11-19-2007, 08:56 AM
A societal flaw, most people would rather bitch about something than think positively. If you don't believe it, watch the local news tonight, "feel good" stories are at the end of the program.
This board is a microcosm of society.
Most annoying are those that only post after a loss (no need to declare your innocence, you know who you are). I can take pissin' and moanin' from regular posters but none of us want to listen to nothing but gripes out of someone.

What's a real shame is that the patsfan guy was treating board members with more respect than what I saw some of our own do last night.

So in this week of giving thanks, I hope alot of you that lost your minds last night, woke up this morning and thanked God that you're not a flippin' bengals fan. :tt02:

TackleMeBen
11-19-2007, 09:05 AM
i am still upset that we lost to the jets. but if we dont fix the oline the pats defense will kill ben and then we will be saying there is next year. you know belicheat will be watching this game and seeing what we did wrong for the jets to get 9 sacks on ben.

and the defense... how about tackling? there were so many missed tackles yesterday i was screaming at the tv. please coach tomlin get this fixed.

Paul Pyrch
11-19-2007, 10:35 AM
:smile:There is a difference between pessimism and criticism. I too bleed black and gold and will always be a Steeler fan, but when they play like they did yesterday, then they are rightfully open to some criticism. Troy wasn't on his game and Sepulveda (supposedly the best punter around) forgot about Washington when his poor punt only went 39 yds. Loosing to the likes of Arizona, Denver and the Jets simply is unexplainable and unacceptable!!

Mosca
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
As long as someone is pessimistic along with an analysis, I don't think there's a problem. Black and gold goggles without insight is just as pointless. But ANY opinion with fact-based reasoning is worthwhile. Without different viewpoints, there is no discussion board, after all.

Dino 6 Rings
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

HERE WE GO!!!

SteelCityMan786
11-19-2007, 04:19 PM
how are you going to correct them if you forget about them? you have to analyze what went wrong. the steelers aren't capable of protecting the QB or opening holes for the running game. you don't seem to get it. the O-line isn't going to get better. simmons isn't going to learn how to block all of the sudden.

I should have specified, I was refering to the players. The coaches still figure out what needs done and if they act like they were in practice, then bring it back up.

Mosca
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Still; the give and take of members with opposite opinions and perspectives is what makes the forum vibrant. Black and gold goggles is equally infuriating.

Steelfan4ever
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Listen, what I do know is there are ALOT of true STEELERS fans here and the bottomline is we all love the team and want them to succeed and paly to their potential.

THIS IS A GREAT SITE WITH AWESOME TRUE STEELERS FANS!

To hell with all the fair weather fans and sports casters. Yes we have some problems right now but we fixed them to get to a Super Bowl and my guess is we can fix them again!

GO STEELERS!!!!!

iloveben7
11-19-2007, 11:11 PM
We all knew that so many Steeler fans would stop supporting the team and looking down on them after one loss, and look it did. I'm a very optimistic person, and I sometimes get made fun of for it, but back in 2005 when the Steelers were 7-5, I believed they would win the Superbowl and my family and friends laughed at me, but who was right. I'm not going to give up on my team ever and just wait for the postseason.

Steelman16
11-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Sometimes I just don't even look to see what all the great pessimists have to say, and wait a few days to log-in to the site.

I was extremely disapointed yesterday, but I still am a Steelers fan with every ounce of blood in me.

I do agree, there is a difference between constructive and destructive critisism.

That said, LET'S GO WELCOME JOEY BACK HOME, EH? :cheers: :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I for one am always optimistic that the Steelers will win every game they play. Of course the losses to poor teams make it tough to believe they can beat the best teams, but once a few days go by, I am ready to believe they can win every game again. The team is 7-3 and in first place. Last year we were like 3-7 or 4-6 or something like that, so this has been a GREAT season so far with a couple of speed bumps along the way. They have some problems, but when they all decide to play together at the same time, they are pretty tough to beat.

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS!

HERE WE GO!!!!

Lord Stiller
11-20-2007, 02:27 PM
It's called being realistic

Steelers weaknesses have been exposed.

#1 - Offensive line sucksass and cant block

#2 - Special Teams coverage sucks

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Still have a great defense, a good running game and a good passing game. Kick it out of bounds or put more starters on Special teams and fix the weaknesses. Every team has them, so once exposed, fix them and move on. We had weaknesses in 74, 75, 78, 79 and 05...big deal, work through them and do what needs to be done.

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
The Colts had a weakness last year, their entire Defense, they fixed it prior to the playoffs, had the luck of avoiding the Steelers in the playoffs and won it all.

The best part about a loss, you can identify problems and correct them for when it really matters.

The_WARDen
11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
It's called being realistic

Steelers weaknesses have been exposed.

#1 - Offensive line sucksass and cant block

#2 - Special Teams coverage sucks

Stop it! You're not a "true" fan! :mallet:

Rhee Rhee
11-21-2007, 12:45 AM
im sorry losing to a 1-8 team is unacceptbale.. but wuts even worse was that we returned to our old stupid habits... run run pass and bad tackling

HometownGal
11-21-2007, 10:53 AM
The loss to the Jets is old news. Don't you all think it would be more productive and less stressful if we turned our focus to the upcoming game against the Fins?

Time to put it behind you, as I'm sure the team has done, and MOVE ON. :tt02:

SteelCityMan786
11-21-2007, 11:01 AM
The loss to the Jets is old news. Don't you all think it would be more productive and less stressful if we turned our focus to the upcoming game against the Fins?

Time to put it behind you, as I'm sure the team has done, and MOVE ON. :tt02:

It took me a day but I got over it. Time to think about the fins!