PDA

View Full Version : A, B, C

revefsreleets
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
A) We can't beat bad teams on the road. We consistently play down to their level. That usually indicates bad coaching.
B) We have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Arians didn't call a bad game, the offense simply failed to execute the gameplan, more specifically, the offensive line was badly exposed today against inferior competition. Again. You don't give up 7 sacks to a bad defense that only had 9 all season. You don't have the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL get held to under 100 yards.
C) Our special teams are still "special".

None of this is new. I also wonder if people still want to defend Faneca. The only lineman who played worse than Alan today was Willie Colon.

Atlanta Dan
11-18-2007, 06:56 PM
None of this is new. I also wonder if people still want to defend Faneca. The only lineman who played worse than Alan today was Willie Colon.

You forgot the special guest appearance of Starks at TE when he had a holding call in the second quarter:smile:

The Steelers were not ready to play last week either - IMO it is not so much coaching as just a flawed team

After watching the Colts today maybe the SB (Dallas or GB) really will be the Pats greatest test

silver & black
11-18-2007, 07:23 PM
I usually stay away from posting in your forum, but I have to say that there is no way your O line even comes close to being as bad as the Raiders'. We have the worst O line in the history of the game.

Edman
11-18-2007, 07:33 PM
D) This Steeler team won't go far in the playoffs this year. That is if they make it. Too many weaknesses that have become more and more apparent. Reload next offseason, get some fresh bodies on O-Line and go for it all. This team will get hammered by the Patriots.
E) I won't be sorry to see Alan Faneca go. One less weakness gone.

Zachygrahm
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Rev is a moron.

zoneblitz43
11-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Willie Colon needs to go. Replace Colon with Starks, and then let Starks and Faneca walk in free agency, or keep Starks as a backup. Draft a stud LG in the first round and a stud RT in the second. Problem solved.

klick81
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Rev is a moron.

Hey n00b, if you're only going to post to insult another board member, get outta here.

revefsreleets
11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
No, no, don't kick him out. Zach is in no way, shape or form alone in his ignorance of the game of football. Let him stay. Maybe he'll learn a little about the sport.

klick81
11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Whatever. I will ask you this (since you say Arians didn't call a bad game):

3rd & 14 (or 18; i forget). We NEED to convert. I understand you want to minimize turn-overs, but you run a DRAW?! Pleeease tell me how that makes ANY sense?

Sharkissle29
11-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Whatever. I will ask you this (since you say Arians didn't call a bad game):

3rd & 14 (or 18; i forget). We NEED to convert. I understand you want to minimize turn-overs, but you run a DRAW?! Pleeease tell me how that makes ANY sense?

agreed, i dont know how ppl say it wasnt arians playcaling that cost us the loss. arians called that game with a skirt on.

OneForTheToe
11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Didn't a draw paly on third and long work a couple of times this season? I can't remember the games at the moment because my soothing Jack and Coke(s) are kicking in.

HometownGal
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey - since you all are such experts at playcalling, why don't you all send your resumes to Coach Tomlin and he'll fire Arians and hire one of you football wizards?

fansince'76
11-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey - since you all are such experts at playcalling, why don't you all send your resumes to Coach Tomlin and he'll fire Arians and hire one of you football wizards?

Amen! :cheers:

Preacher
11-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Why. It is easier to stay home and complain!

klick81
11-18-2007, 09:54 PM
For some reason, I was under the impression that it was OK to voice my opinion or share a question/concern with other Steelersfever members. By the way, who ever said anything about firing Arians? :hunch:

fansince'76
11-18-2007, 09:58 PM
By the way, who ever said anything about firing Arians? :hunch:

We need to fire our OC this off season, we have lost any true identity on offense and seem to rely soley on broken plays to move the ball

And that's just one of MANY.

Paul Pyrch
11-18-2007, 10:09 PM
:dang: I totally agree. Ben sacked seven times.....Where was the 0-Line? Even Polomalu looked bad at times. The defense could not contain the Jets on the last drive to tie the game. Yep, we can't get up for bad teams away: Arizona, Denver, Jets. Are we going to have to worry about Miami also?

lotas
11-18-2007, 10:13 PM
You gotta give the D their props....the Jets had 1st and goal THREE TIMES and all resulted in FG's.

HometownGal
11-18-2007, 10:32 PM
:dang: I totally agree. Ben sacked seven times.....Where was the 0-Line? Even Polomalu looked bad at times. The defense could not contain the Jets on the last drive to tie the game. Yep, we can't get up for bad teams away: Arizona, Denver, Jets. Are we going to have to worry about Miami also?

Blame it all on Arians. That incompetent oaf.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Blame it all on Arians. That incompetent oaf.

Damn Bruce Arians its all his fault....Plus I blame him for global warming,9/11 and for my girlfriend leaving me.......Bruce Arians is the anti-christ.....

HometownGal
11-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Damn Bruce Arians its all his fault....Plus I blame him for global warming,9/11 and for my girlfriend leaving me.......Bruce Arians is the anti-christ.....

Arians is responsible for the huge spike in gas prices, too. :dang:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM

I forgot that one...lol:toofunny:

fansince'76
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM

I thought it was all Willie's fault? :hunch: :toofunny:

Preacher
11-18-2007, 10:41 PM
For some reason, I was under the impression that it was OK to voice my opinion or share a question/concern with other Steelersfever members. By the way, who ever said anything about firing Arians? :hunch:

I don't think HTG's post was directed towards you...!

Preacher
11-18-2007, 10:42 PM
HEy..

HANG BRADSHAW IN EFFIGY!

It is ALL his fault!!

LVSteelersfan
11-18-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't consider myself an expert but Arians is a MORON. He called draws on third and long TWICE. TWICE. And running Willie Parker up the middle on first and second down over and over and over when it wasn't working is STUPID. So predictable. He cost us the game BIG TIME no doubt about it.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't consider myself an expert but Arians is a MORON. He called draws on third and long TWICE. TWICE. And running Willie Parker up the middle on first and second down over and over and over when it wasn't working is STUPID. So predictable. He cost us the game BIG TIME no doubt about it.

Ok I don't think Bruce Arians called the greatest game today either......I thought he set up Ben with way to man 3rd and longs today.....I know Ben has done a very good job of converting those 3rd and longs all year....But to ask him to do that every week is insane....

But Arians isn't the sole reason we lost this game today...How about the Oline and the 7 sacks they gave up and them run blocking like a bunch of stiffs today? Or yet again the special teams giving up a crucial return? Or all the stupid penalties the team committed today? The Steelers played bad its that simple and to blame one person for this loss is silly.....

BurghZ0n3
11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I thought Miller was the Go-to guy....and, yup, too many predictable, unproductive plays indeed!!!

Steeldude
11-18-2007, 11:42 PM
A) We can't beat bad teams on the road. We consistently play down to their level. That usually indicates bad coaching.

B) We have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Arians didn't call a bad game, the offense simply failed to execute the gameplan, more specifically, the offensive line was badly exposed today against inferior competition. Again. You don't give up 7 sacks to a bad defense that only had 9 all season. You don't have the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL get held to under 100 yards.

C) Our special teams are still "special".

A) steelers playing down to their opponent has been going on for many, many years. you are right, it's bad coaching. although the talent level on the O-line is poor.

B) yes, the O-line is very bad, but arians made some bad calls. running the draw in OT on 3rd and long is mind boggling.

C) the special teams coach needs to be let go.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Our special teams are well, special as in the entire coverage and return units ride the short bus. We need to fire someone, light a fire under their arses!

Our offensive line played like ghosts. SEVEN SACKS?! SEVEN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! The leading rusher in the AFC was held to under 100 yards. I mean come on guys, seriously, can you at least do one type of blocking well? None of those bastards deserve to be wearing the B&G.

OX1947
11-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Colon single handily killed us on that last drive that could have put the game away. He had a fals start which is one of the worst things to happen on a 3rd down and then he allowed his guy to sack fumble Ben.

Steel Pit
11-19-2007, 05:27 AM

Well one thing is for certain, the Steelers are well aware of the FACT that their offensive line, at many times this season, has exhibited a glaring weakness in the area of pass protection. I think that we all can agree on that, right? Granted, it's not Arians fault that the line isn't protecting, I'll give you that.

Now here's where I lay a lot of the blame on Arians. If you watch the replays after a Roethlisberger sack or hurried throw, study the routes that the receivers are running. The Steelers receivers are running many long routes that take more than a couple of seconds to complete. Factoring in that Arians is well aware that his offensive line has struggled with pass protection, you would think that he would develop a game plan with the receivers running shorter routes.

I'm not calling for Arians' head or suggesting that I'm more knowledgeable than he, I'm just pointing out what is quite apparent to me as I closely watch the game and all that the telecast offers.

steelpride12
11-19-2007, 06:03 AM
No my horrible gold crown of the night falls to the offensive line once again for the 10th straight week. Even over the bye week they looked like crap not even playing.
7 sacks against a pass rush thats like 28th haha and holding Parkers to 52 yards and their run defense sucks.
That can only mean one thing!
The offensive line other than Faneca and sometimes Smith sucks!
Thanks for the loss line!

HometownGal
11-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Well one thing is for certain, the Steelers are well aware of the FACT that their offensive line, at many times this season, has exhibited a glaring weakness in the area of pass protection. I think that we all can agree on that, right? Granted, it's not Arians fault that the line isn't protecting, I'll give you that.

Now here's where I lay a lot of the blame on Arians. If you watch the replays after a Roethlisberger sack or hurried throw, study the routes that the receivers are running. The Steelers receivers are running many long routes that take more than a couple of seconds to complete. Factoring in that Arians is well aware that his offensive line has struggled with pass protection, you would think that he would develop a game plan with the receivers running shorter routes.

I'm not calling for Arians' head or suggesting that I'm more knowledgeable than he, I'm just pointing out what is quite apparent to me as I closely watch the game and all that the telecast offers.

I understand what you are saying here and thank you for being so respectful in your post. :cheers:

I closely watched the same game and I clearly saw Ben change the play at the line multiple times and some of the plays didn't quite pan out. That being said, I'm a firm believer in allowing your QB this option, as he is the one seeing the field out there in front of him and the different defensive schemes. Who really knows at this point if the original plays would have panned out, not that it matters after-the-fact. Simply put, Arians and the O were out maneuvered by the Jets DC. It happens.

I don't agree with everything the coaches do, but having been a Steelers and football diehard for 4 decades now, I realize that mistakes are going to be made as these guys are only human like the rest of us. They are going to have bad games and yes - bad seasons along the way. If we were 3-7, I could understand the panic that is going on around these forums, but we're 7-3 and still atop the AFCN with 6 games to go! Jeepers - I felt like I was on the Titanic around here last night!

SteelersMongol
11-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Ok I don't think Bruce Arians called the greatest game today either......I thought he set up Ben with way to man 3rd and longs today.....I know Ben has done a very good job of converting those 3rd and longs all year....But to ask him to do that every week is insane....

But Arians isn't the sole reason we lost this game today...How about the Oline and the 7 sacks they gave up and them run blocking like a bunch of stiffs today? Or yet again the special teams giving up a crucial return? Or all the stupid penalties the team committed today? The Steelers played bad its that simple and to blame one person for this loss is silly.....

Yes, that's what I was thinking. What the hell is wrong with the Steelers getting those stupid penalties. I understand making bad calls, or just having one of those days. But penalties for over 100 yards? :dang:

I will not point fingers at Arians or Ben. :computer:

SteelersMongol
11-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Damn Bruce Arians its all his fault....Plus I blame him for global warming, 9/11 and for my girlfriend leaving me.......Bruce Arians is the anti-christ.....

:toofunny: I knew all along there was something very suspicious about that guy. Does he also work in the current US administration?

revefsreleets
11-19-2007, 09:30 AM
OK, let's review. The draw play on 3rd and long? That is a Steelers staple play. They run that play ALL THE TIME. They spread the field and run the draw. They've been doing it for years. The play is to set up the punt, and it's classic Cowher/Tressel ball. You run a safe play with minimal chance at turning the ball over and you rely on your defense. Sometimes it actually works. If you watch, the Steelers will call that play when they are in their own "danger zone". I don't have specific numbers, but I think it's inside their own 35 or 40. When they get out around midfield, they open up a bit. Cowher even called himself out when he broke with that kind of play calling when we lost to the Colts in the regular season two years ago. We were down, and started in our own territory. Ben threw a pick that either went for a score or set up a score and it broke our backs. It doens't matter who the coach or OC is, that is Steeler football. Get used to it.

Also, Arians offense is predicated upon crossing routes, and the multiple crossing routes are what confuse the DB's and allow WR's to get open. Yes, it does take slightly longer for the play to develop, but it is what it is. Thank God Ben can improvise.

Finally, the gameplan was about the same he called against Baltimore, the goal being manageable 3rd downs. The problem is the series needs to be executed perfectly or at least efficiently. When you are relying on plays on 1st and 2nd down to pick up 3 or 4 yards, you cannot allow breakdowns in execution, like dumb penalties, or, more importantly, missed blocking assignments. There were so many of the latter it's not even funny. It pretty much became "Let's watch the replay and see which OL missed their block THIS play." Anything longer than 3rd and 7 puts this offense out of it's comfort zone.

Preacher
11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
:toofunny: I knew all along there was something very suspicious about that guy. Does he also work in the current US administration?

No. The former! :stirthepot:

hellbread
11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
the draw play on 3rd and 18 is the one in overtime, i may be mistaken. but overall it wasnt a bad play call. we were in our territory and a pass play to develope that would get us 18 yards would require some time for ben in which in offensive line cannot produce so why chance ben getting sack then giving the jets better field position after the punt when we could allow our defense to hold them? if you want my honest opinion what cost us the game was the field goal kick in over time by mike nugent. just my two cents.