PDA

View Full Version : Short passing game?

Jman
11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I know we are not a west coast offense, but are you missing the slant route and drag routes across the middle?

What has happened to the short passing game?

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
IMO those throws are now going to the TE.

Short drops and quicker reads might be able to address the woeful pass protection probems.

As I was watching yesterday's meltdown & the appearance of Starks as a third TE in a non-goal line situation (the deep pass play where he got called for holding), another issue with the pass protection may be that the 3 TE plays that were cited as a reason for drafting Spaeth never got off the drawing board because Spaeth got hurt and then Tuman went down with a bad back. Now we just have sandlot ball where most successful passing plays consist of Ben playing Houdini with the pass rush and throwing downfield after the coverage breaks down.

Something has got to give - the Jets drew up the plan for overwhelming the line with pressure and the Steelers will keep seeing it until they show they can stop it.

lotas
11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I know we are not a west coast offense, but are you missing the slant route and drag routes across the middle?

What has happened to the short passing game?

So true, I remember at one point in a season (maybe 05?) I felt 100% confident on any 3rd and 5ish, because we could complete the 5yd route everytime. Little square outs to hines. Wilson caught a good one this past game.

Lord Stiller
11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Great thread!!!

I agree. Holmes is a real threat to break it deep if you hit him in stride on a slant

WTF Ariens???

Infamix
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
IMO those throws are now going to the TE.

Short drops and quicker reads might be able to address the woeful pass protection probems.
As I was watching yesterday's meltdown & the appearance of Starks as a third TE in a non-goal line situation (the deep pass play where he got called for holding), another issue with the pass protection may be that the 3 TE plays that were cited as a reason for drafting Spaeth never got off the drawing board because Spaeth got hurt and then Tuman went down with a bad back. Now we just have sandlot ball where most successful passing plays consist of Ben playing Houdini with the pass rush and throwing downfield after the coverage breaks down.

Something has got to give - the Jets drew up the plan for overwhelming the line with pressure and the Steelers will keep seeing it until they show they can stop it.

$$$

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
No doubt with the defense bringing the heat and the Oline struggling to pass protect then the Steelers should use more quick slants especially with Holmes.....Holmes has that speed to make defenses pay if they want to blitz....