PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon doesn't write off Steelers on PTI

Infamix
11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
After our loss to the jets, I expect alot of analysts to bash the Steelers. I just saw Wilbon on PTI saying that the Steelers as an orginization throw away games and play up and down depending on their competetion, which is true. He included the Steelers team of the 70s that won superbowls in the category of teams throwing away games. He also said that this loss to the Jets will help the Steelers, and that they will not throw away any more games.

Sounds like a fair analysis, unlike what the ESPN boys are going to say tonight :banging:

HometownGal
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
After our loss to the jets, I expect alot of analysts to bash the Steelers. I just saw Wilbon on PTI saying that the Steelers as an orginization throw away games and play up and down depending on their competetion, which is true. He included the Steelers team of the 70s that won superbowls in the category of teams throwing away games. He also said that this loss to the Jets will help the Steelers, and that they will not throw away any more games.

Sounds like a fair analysis, unlike what the ESPN boys are going to say tonight :banging:

Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to mute my TV tonight so I don't have to listen to the Three Stooges. :thumbsup:

Besides - they'll be too busy slobbin' the Cheatsies' knobs (as usual) to worry about the Steelers/Jets game from yesterday.

Borski
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I always liked Wilbon, nice to hear that analysis.

revefsreleets
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
But it needs to stop. Look at the Pats. I don't care for the team at all, and I hate most of their ignorant and arrogant fans, but give that team credit. They blow their opponents out week after week (and that chicken will come back to roost later), but they never take a game off. Why do we?

Borski
11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
But it needs to stop. Look at the Pats. I don't care for the team at all, and I hate most of their ignorant and arrogant fans, but give that team credit. They blow their opponents out week after week (and that chicken will come back to roost later), but they never take a game off. Why do we?

Why do people have to be like this? I know we played bad, but do you think everyone is perfect all the time? no. last I heart 7-3 was a fairly decent record and its not like we cant fix what we did wrong. just because the odd aren't in our favor doesn't mean you have to count us out.:coffee:

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Actually the 70s Steelers rarely kicked away games against the dregs of the league - this from Dr. Z at SI:

During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2003/02/21/drz_mailbag/

Great teams like this year's Pats (OMG that hurts to even say it) stay focused every week.

Steel Warrior
11-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Good post AD, and that's the way I remember it, we didn't lose focus and buried the bottom dwellers. That's what the Pats are doing and more power to them, they're gonna kick your ass and score and score until you stop them.
:smoker:

jjpro11
11-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Actually the 70s Steelers rarely kicked away games against the dregs of the league - this from Dr. Z at SI:

During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

Great teams like this year's Pats (OMG that hurts to even say it) stay focused every week.

the 70s team sure didnt, but the 90s and 2000s teams did. even in 2004 when we won 15 games, we werent blowing out teams.. we were just doing enough to get by in most. some years you win those kinds of games (2004) some years you dont (2007)

Infamix
11-19-2007, 10:39 PM

Nice find, I didn't know that. For some reason Wilbon said the opposite though, maybe he meant the 90s teams.

revefsreleets
11-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Why do people have to be like this?

I don't think it's too much to ask for the Steelers to beat bad football teams. They've lost to 3 bad football teams. 1 I can forget, 2 I can forgive, but 3 in ten games? I would ask the opposite. Why are you letting the team off the hook? It's not okay to take whole games off.

Borski
11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't think it's too much to ask for the Steelers to beat bad football teams. They've lost to 3 bad football teams. 1 I can forget, 2 I can forgive, but 3 in ten games? I would ask the opposite. Why are you letting the team off the hook? It's not okay to take whole games off.

I'm not completely letting them off the hook, but I do understand that there are going to be some bad showings. It is Tomlin's first year and so far he's been great overall with a few flukes here and there. he'll get them to focus, don't worry about it. This year we have been playing up and down to other teams levels, its not too hard to fix that and after this week's showing I am sure MT is gonna take care of that. that said I still have no doubt that we will beat the Pats on Dec 9th,

GeneralRobinson
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
This year we have been playing up and down to other teams levels

I guess if you want to look on the bright side, this bodes well should we make the playoffs. Every playoff team plays on a high level, right?:tt02:

LVSteelersfan
11-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Even with the loss the NFL Channel still gives them high rankings in the power rankings. Terrell Davis had them at number five and so did Jim Mora. I agree with them because I am not impressed with most of the teams in the league this year. The Steelers may have played poorly Sunday, but they still have the talent to be one of the top teams in the league. Maybe not ELITE (what the heck does that mean anyway?) but don't give up on them yet.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
This is where the roller coaster took a downward turn 2 years ago with an OT loss on the road - next stop then was a Monday night game followed by the Bengals at Heinz, after which the Steelers were 7-5

I cannot conceive of the Steelers losing to Miami but the Bengals play well at Heinz (and better than in Cincy) - a safety tandem of Smith & Carter against the Bengals would be troubling

Dino 6 Rings
11-20-2007, 03:29 PM
would you rather our 3 losses came to Cincy? Baltimore? Cleveland? or Seattle?

Seriously...so what, we lost in Arizona, a tough place for anyone to win, we lost in Denver, so what, most people lose in Denver, and we lost to the Horrid Jets during a late game when it was bitter cold and things didn't bounce our way.

So what, Make the playoffs and lets Play UP to the competition and hand out beat downs. It doesn't matter to me what happens, just get into the playoffs with most of the guys healthy and we'll see what happens. Winning 4 of the next 6 will give us a shot at the playoffs, and right now, the only thing that matters, is beating the Dolphins to get to 8 wins. That's it. Everything else, all the analysis, all the talk, all the hype, is crap, its all about beating the Dolphins. So that's That.

The_WARDen
11-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Tis right...unfortunately, contenders don't lose to 1-8 teams.

Borski
11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Tis right...unfortunately, contenders don't lose to 1-8 teams.

Thats already been beaten into our heads enough. teams can fix things as time goes on, the skill level doesn't remain stagnant.

revefsreleets
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
would you rather our 3 losses came to Cincy? Baltimore? Cleveland? or Seattle?

Seriously...so what, we lost in Arizona, a tough place for anyone to win, we lost in Denver, so what, most people lose in Denver, and we lost to the Horrid Jets during a late game when it was bitter cold and things didn't bounce our way.

That is, indeed, that. It's called rationalizing, and it's akin to an Ostrich's defense of sticking it's head into the ground with the hopes that if it can't see the impending threat it will go away. Or like saying "Well, the killer only killed 3 of the 4 innocent victims, so he's only 75% as bad as you think he is".

Arizona is mediocre at home, and horrible on the road. Denver is not a good football team, and the Jets are awful. Good teams win the games they are supposed to win, and bad teams lose games they are supposed to lose AND games they are supposed to win. We have established a pattern of behavior consisting of a lot of the elements of the latter. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

steelpride12
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
To tell you the trust after a steeler loss i don't watch sportscenter or PTI because its the same old story- "the steelers are frauds, the pats are the best no one will beat them" well sorry, but thats where the phrase thats why they play the game came from.
And o ya look what happened during the 2005 playoffs wow 3 roads wins with a 11-5 record beating a good cincy, indy, and bronco team ya PTI you know what your taking about!

fansince'76
11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
If we blow it against the Dolphins in Heinz and give them their first win of the season after 10 straight losses, we won't deserve a postseason berth.

tony hipchest
11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Arizona is mediocre at home, and horrible on the road. Denver is not a good football team, and the Jets are awful. Good teams win the games they are supposed to win, and bad teams lose games they are supposed to lose AND games they are supposed to win. We have established a pattern of behavior consisting of a lot of the elements of the latter. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

:yep:
wilbon erroneously pointed out that even the steelers of the 70's gave away gimme games.

honest mistake though. it does seem like cowher coached that long. and the jets loss was just like one of the many stinkers cowher led teams have laid over the years. since were upon the anniversary, perhaps wilbon was thinking of the steelers vs. detroit coinflip game. :dang: (a season sinking performance)...

or maybe he was thinking of all those afcc games lost at home to inferior opponents. (i'll give the pats 05 i guess)

revefsreleets
11-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm doomed. I am a bad fan because I recognize flaws on the team and can only hope they improve. I'm finding out that Bruce Arians is either Satan incarnate or a retard in another thread. What to do?

lilyoder6
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
lol.. i think that arians is smart on opening up the off.. but i think he needs to realize that we need a fb 85% of the time we run.. even thought those swing shotgun draw plays are getting some good yards once and a while...

Infamix
11-20-2007, 11:23 PM
This is where the roller coaster took a downward turn 2 years ago with an OT loss on the road - next stop then was a Monday night game followed by the Bengals at Heinz, after which the Steelers were 7-5

I cannot conceive of the Steelers losing to Miami but the Bengals play well at Heinz (and better than in Cincy) - a safety tandem of Smith & Carter against the Bengals would be troubling

I was actually going to post about this because I was at that game. Pick-Six Maddox, Hines kicking the football in the air, and Boller driving on us to a field goal by stover in OT. Let's just say my walk out of the stadium wasn't fun

Rhee Rhee
11-21-2007, 01:31 AM
wilbon's a kool guy i heard him say that.. but hopefully it will be the wakeup call we need to head into the last fourth of our season with a full head of steam