PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate parking lots

FansinAllentown
11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
This is our second time out to Pittsburgh to tailgate before a game. Can anyone help with parking lots that you do not have to pay in advance? Close to the stadium would be good but if we have to walk a bit that's OK. What time do the lots open and how much earlier should we be there in order to get a space? Can we bring a fire ring to cook on? or is it just grills?
We are really looking forward to the partying and game. The boyz have to get themselves together and kick some Dolphin butt back to Florida!

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get to the Burgh!

FansInAllentown :cheers:

nojobny
11-19-2007, 07:14 PM
When you say 'don't have to pay in advance' do you mean way in advance, like a season pass? If that's the case there's lots parking near the stadium just be sure to get there early.

The ones that are close, like just past the science center near Reedsdale have enough space to do some grillin' but I would bring something portable.

Check this link for more parking info. http://news.steelers.com/article/55094/

FYI the $5 lots downtown are not tailgate friendly (unless your idea of tailgating is drinking beer out of a cooler in your trunk while breathing in CO2 fumes)

FansinAllentown
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
How early do you suggest? Is 3:00 early enough? I looked up the 3 maps of the city. Thanks. Our idea of tailgating is setting up a fire ring, cooking up steaks, and having some nice cold beers. Not out of a cooler. We like to mingle with the crowd also.
thanks for any additional info you can give us.:drinkup:

Stlrs4Life
11-21-2007, 03:49 PM
The lots around the stadium are all pre sold. Parking garages are open, and they charge $20. All Alco Parking lots open at 3pm. Gold Lots 1,2,3,4 are all pre sold. Red Lot 6 is also presold. If you get there at 3pm you will find a lot to get into. They are just a little more of a walk.

thewizardofcros87
11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Are you able to tailgate in the station square lots? If not any suggestions?

Stlrs4Life
12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I believe so, never tried though.

will_ansel@tmail.com
06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
My friend and I are coming in from Massachusetts so we dont know the area as well as some people I know. Perhaps you could help us.

Which parking area which allows you to tailgates and which does not? Are those area that allows you to tailgate force you to pay advance and how early do we get there to avoid the traffic?

The Terrible Will:tt02::helmet:

Help the Steelers Fans from New England!!!! :tt03:

PalmerSteel
06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
let me add on another heinz newb question: if we have to park in one of the garages and walk to the tailgate areas, is there restrictions/enforcement on alcohol transporting/drinking?
anywhere where its NOT presale that you can tailgate/drink/setup?

steel anchor
06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
I also have a question. I'm coming from Indiana with my buddy and our 2 boys, his is 16, mine is 7. I got tickets to the Texans(nose bleeds), hey, can't complain. Anyway, I'm looking for a place to grill, drink, play, meet fellow stiller fans. Any help would be nice. :tt:

goalman
07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Now I am really confused..."nojobny" says there is lots of parking near stadium but just get there early but "Stlrs4Life" says all lots are pre-sold??? Game starts at 4:00 and we want to be there asap....but where is the question?

TailgateMel
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Here is the parking lot map:

(altered because my post count isn't enough to have links... even though this is VERY helpful... figure out the link yourself)
w w w .alcoparking.com/gameday.htm

All the Gold, Red & Green are pre-sold

Some of the blue is pre-sold.. I usually park in Blue 7G.. I know for sure it and Blue 7J you can get in the day of IF YOU GET THERE EARLY.

The deal is, they have "X" number of spots for day-of sale & "X" amount for pre-sold.. so once they reach the day of amount, you have to have a pass.

Blue 7G is excellent for tailgating, although it is a long walk.. but you get to walk by all the other cool tailgates.

The lots open 5 hours prior to gametime.. and I usually get there 45 minutes to an hour prior to that to "get in line" with my Steeler van to get a spot. That means for a 4:00 PM game, you will need to get there at 10:00 AM to guarantee a spot.

Or, you can buy a gold or red lot spot off of ebay & show up whatever time you want. Just make sure you don't buy a garage parking lot pass.. can't tailgate in a garage.

ALL of the non-garage parking lots have a bazillion people tailgating.

Mel

PalmerSteel
07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
great info. thanks!

TailgateMel
08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Man are you the "Steelers Fan Van"? We stay at the Marriott when we come up for games and my son loved the Steelers Fan Van outside our window in the 7G lot , it was right on the end for the Cleveland game last year.

Thats me!!! Yep, I get there early, I like to get the spot right at the end... everyone can find me a lot easier then :tt::tt03:

I'm pysched this year, my brother & I went in on a whole season (flipped a coin & got 1/2 of the tickets each), so I will be there FOR SURE for the Ratbirds, Giants, Chargers & Bungles

I will for sure AT LEAST tailgate for the Browns game too, that is what I ended up doing last year, tailgating & putting a TV in the back of the van, we had probably a dozen people watching the game in the parking lot.

Mel

TailgateMel
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Fine with me... I find that pretty humorous they were watching us... All I had was an antennae & fuzzy reception.. it was pretty weird that I didnt get good reception in downtown pittsburgh

Mel

SteelCityMan786
08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
This is our second time out to Pittsburgh to tailgate before a game. Can anyone help with parking lots that you do not have to pay in advance? Close to the stadium would be good but if we have to walk a bit that's OK. What time do the lots open and how much earlier should we be there in order to get a space? Can we bring a fire ring to cook on? or is it just grills?
We are really looking forward to the partying and game. The boyz have to get themselves together and kick some Dolphin butt back to Florida!

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get to the Burgh!

FansInAllentown :cheers:

There is no such thing as free parking near Heinz Field. All the lots around the stadium do charge for parking.

TailgateMel
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the pix! Cool to see an overhead view of the scene! See the person in the big yellow foam cowboy hat with the parker throwback on??? That is my friend Lori.. I am in the other big yellow foam cowboy hat... you can't really see me... but I'm there.
:drink:

I have some good plans for the van this year, especially since I have more tickets :)

Mel

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Now I am really confused..."nojobny" says there is lots of parking near stadium but just get there early but "Stlrs4Life" says all lots are pre-sold??? Game starts at 4:00 and we want to be there asap....but where is the question?

I hear ya Mel, we also are always in line waiting to get in. I too park my vehicle in 7G early and walk to Blue 7F to where our tailgate is.

fansince'76
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I'll go ahead and link the map that TailgateMel posted about earlier (be sure to click this link (http://www.alcoparking.com/gameday.htm) for more parking details and tailgating policies):

http://www.alcoparking.com/images/GDPGmap.gif

TailgateMel
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Also... from my personal experience....

If you get a Gold Lot pass.. there are security people there that REALLY enforce the rules.. including the NO TENTS rule.. which means NO EZ-UPS.. which really was a bummer last year for the Ravens game when it rained a lot.

In the lot I *usually* park in... once they get the people parked... the parking people are GONE... people have EZ ups.. people have burn barrells... its a lot more easy going... but... it is a longer walk.

A friend of mine paid all that extra $$$ for a gold lot 1 pass for the ravens game last year & it was TOTALLY not worth it... especially since we sat in traffic forever trying to get out... if you are from the the north (279 north) or the northeast (rt. 28) Blue 7G is the bomb, you turn right, and are almost instantly on the HOV ramp for 279 north.. and rt. 28 isn't far.

Mel

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
In our lot they don't allow any tents either. And we are right behind ya.

TailgateMel
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I know I've had a tent up there before, but really not recently.. as the Blue 7G lot is under an overpass anyways :tt: