PDA

View Full Version : Parcells- Jets had a spy on Ben

tony hipchest
11-19-2007, 08:11 PM
bill was talking about watching the game in person with a "different vantage point" from what most saw (i assume he had a coaching tape point of view) and he said 1 thing he noticed is that the jets had a spy in to prevent ben from escaping the pocket (particularly to his right) and if he was gonna throw on the run they wanted to force it to be to his left.

now i know teams would put a spy on m. vick or k. stewart or nowadays with v. young. but on on big ben? im sure this was a look they had rarely seen and most likely not prepared for. props to womangini.

also watched tunch break down some film where he showed how 3 (and said 4) of bens sacks couldnt be attributed to the offensive line. seeing it broken down on tape, and the o-line pass protection only looks half as bad (which still isnt saying much).

anyways just food for thought before j. porter has a career game against us monday night. seriously, expect the unexpected, such as the jets getting 7 sacks.

Steeldude
11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
bill was talking about watching the game in person with a "different vantage point" from what most saw (i assume he had a coaching tape point of view) and he said 1 thing he noticed is that the jets had a spy in to prevent ben from escaping the pocket (particularly to his right) and if he was gonna throw on the run they wanted to force it to be to his left.

now i know teams would put a spy on m. vick or k. stewart or nowadays with v. young. but on on big ben? im sure this was a look they had rarely seen and most likely not prepared for. props to womangini.

also watched tunch break down some film where he showed how 3 (and said 4) of bens sacks couldnt be attributed to the offensive line. seeing it broken down on tape, and the o-line pass protection only looks half as bad (which still isnt saying much).

anyways just food for thought before j. porter has a career game against us monday night. seriously, expect the unexpected, such as the jets getting 7 sacks.

it makes sense to me. it seems most plays made by BR are on broken/school yard type plays. he doesn't make as many when in the pocket.

stillers4me
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
How is it that everybody seems to be able to figure us out all the time?

PalmerSteel
11-19-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah, j peezy will have a career night next week.
he has shown time and time again he is the hardest guy to bring down in the pocket. obviously not as fast or shifty as a vick or romo, but he does it with how well he moves with his size obviously.
ben will see a spy the rest of the year i bet ya. we need to get willie and najeh more involved in the dump offs!

tony hipchest
11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
najeh on a "dump off"? i dont know if its ever been done before

:chuckle:

Preacher
11-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Because we have depended on scheme more then talent for a number of years. Now that is changing... but until we still get an O line that runs as far on talent as they do on scheme...

we will be stuck with it.

stillers4me
11-19-2007, 09:15 PM

bada bing........

Preacher
11-19-2007, 09:23 PM

:tap:

I can't remember... maybe it was tried in college! :hunch:

stillers4me
11-20-2007, 05:58 AM
Now I guess every team we play from here on out will try the same thing.

Bowens' spying cracks case of the roaming QB

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff
Jets defensive end/linebacker David Bowens was involved in a different kind of "spygate" against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday -- the legal kind.

Bowens, who has been mainly a special teams contributor since arriving this season after spending the past 5 1/2 seasons with the Dolphins, worked his espionage in full view of the 77,000-plus fans at Giants Stadium (most wearing black and gold and waving Terrible Towels) as he spied on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger all game. His talent at watching Roethlisberger's every step played a major role in the Jets' stunning 19-16 overtime victory.

Lining up at different spots along the defensive line in most substitution packages, Bowens would stalk Roethlisberger while moving laterally along the line. It's not a new concept when facing a mobile quarterback, it's just that the 6-3, 265-pound Bowens performed it masterfully.

Roethlisberger, who likes to scramble and throw on the run, completed just 15 of 25 passes for 195 yards, one touchdown and one interception and was sacked a seven times, a season-high for the Jets, who entered the game with just nine sacks. Roethlisberger ran the ball twice for just five yards.

Entering the game, Roethlisberger had thrown 22 touchdowns and just seven interceptions while rushing 18 times for 135 yards and a touchdown.

The Jets (2-8) meet Dallas (9-1) on Thanksgiving Day and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (27 TDs and 12 INTs and 17 rushes for 81 yards and two TDs) also likes to make plays with his feet and arm, much like Roethlisberger. Bowens could be called on again to perform the same role.

"It felt good to be involved," said Bowens, who finished with three tackles and half a sack. "The frustrating part is just losing. I'm a team guy. Personally, my role is what it is. I'm accepting whatever role they may have for me and I'll do it 120 percent.

"The game plan was great and not because I was in it. Everyone was on the same page. Anytime you can get that kind of communication, everybody can be successful. ... Every week (the defense) changes so the communication is new. This week, in particular, guys concentrated."

Said rookie linebacker David Harris: "David Bowens did a great job. We knew we had to keep (Roethlisberger) in the pocket. You look at all their tapes and most of their big plays come with him buying extra time for his receiver to get open."

Bowens, a ninth-year pro, repeatedly closed on Roethlisberger when he came close to the line of scrimmage and attempted to run or buy time with his feet. Roethlisberger's indecision, in part because of Bowens and solid coverage in the secondary, forced many of the sacks.

"David was able to carve out a role and I thought he did a nice job," said Jets coach Eric Mangini, who employed different defensive packages, an aggressive style and played defensive end Shaun Ellis at linebacker as part of his bye week tweaking of the unit.

The Jets defense, which entered the game ranked last against the run, held Steelers running back Willie Parker to just 52 yards on 21 carries. Pittsburgh finished with 112 yards rushing as the Jets peppered the Steelers with different looks and blitzes.

"It seemed like at first they didn't know what to expect and where we were coming from," said Bowens. "We had success at it and we just kept doing it."

Bowens, who signed a three-year, $6.1 million deal with the Jets this off-season, came with a reputation as a big-time pass rusher, notching 18 sacks the past three seasons with the Dolphins. But this season, he had no sacks and just seven tackles in limited duty in the first nine games.

"My number was called this week," Bowens said. "It may not be called next week. But whatever the case may be, I'll be ready."

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1195536949182660.xml&coll=1

GeneralRobinson
11-20-2007, 06:28 AM
A defender spying on Ben means one less defender in coverage. Pittsburgh should hopefully recognize and adjust.

revefsreleets
11-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Or one less guy rushing the passer. THAT'S probably the more important impact. Just think if Bowens was blitzing. True, Ben might have had a nice run or two, but he also may have been sacked several more times.

Jman
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM

What do we do? Run the ball, set up play action, and take shots down the field when they are open. It's predictable. Everyone knows it.

The new offense really needs to show at this point in the season. Teams got Big Ben's number in their mind now that they got the black & gold figured out.

Steeldude
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
he has shown time and time again he is the hardest guy to bring down in the pocket. obviously not as fast or shifty as a vick or romo, but he does it with how well he moves with his size obviously.
ben will see a spy the rest of the year i bet ya. we need to get willie and najeh more involved in the dump offs!

porter won't do anything. smith shouldn't have a problem keeping him away. porter only has one move to the QB. for that one move to work it requires the LT to either ignore him completely or fall down.

GBMelBlount
11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
They just said on ESPN that the Browns had used a spy as well in our last meeting. Cleveland is also mentioned using a spy in this article.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_539210.html

Big D
11-25-2007, 02:29 PM

I see porter not even getting a single tackle before having a career day tommorow night.

sixstringlass
11-27-2007, 04:15 AM

I think these other teams are really worried about us. So, they take a lot of time looking for ANYTHING that might be helpful. They spend so much time and manpower looking for it that they generally find something.

We should be flattered, I guess. Not evey team gets that kind of personalized special attention.