PDA

View Full Version : Sepulveda

Lord Stiller
11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
hate to keep feeding the fire but what is his deal?

Yeah he is good at downing kicks inside the 20 but i thought he was supposed to have some powerful leg???

Too bad we didnt get Lee from San Fran, he can really boom a punt.

Sepulveda has been a disapointment IMO. I guess he can get better????

Steelman16
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, from what I've seen you like to blast up players anyhow....

But I think he's doing fine. He's a rookie, and can only get better.

Lord Stiller
11-20-2007, 03:56 PM
He's a rookie, and can only get better.

That was my question, so he will eventually be able to kick farther than average?

PisnNapalm
11-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I like him alot. He'll only get better man...

ShutDown24
11-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Seps doing an incredible job. If you're someone who likes to nit-pick, don't go there.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Seps doing an incredible job. If you're someone who likes to nit-pick, don't go there.

He has not had one blocked yet, but his 2 punts in end of game situations
the last 2 weeks have been mediocre.

Sep is not a bad punter but given the hype and the trading of draft choices to get him, I admit he has underwhelmed me.

Ed.B. of the P-G (who admits he never liked drafting a punter that high) said Sep was not even the best punter in camp this summer.

But on the bright side, it never hurts to have a punter capable of making a tackle with these special teams.

HometownGal
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I think for a rook punter, he's done an admirable job! :thumbsup: As of Week #10, Danny is 15th in the NFL in average (43.7) and 2nd in the NFL in percentage of kicks inside the 20 (44.2%). Not bad for a first-year punter.

Ladies - wouldn't you just LOVE to be a football? :wink02:

http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/44358.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-20-2007, 05:38 PM
ranks #10 net average
ranks #5 putting ball inside the 20

....and he's a rookie.
:hunch:

as HTG said that makes him #15 in average (not net average) and #2 on percentage inside the 20!!!!! What more do you want!!!???

The Duke
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
ranks #10 net average
ranks #5 putting ball inside the 20

....and he's a rookie.
:hunch:

as HTG said that makes him #15 in average (not net average) and #2 on percentage inside the 20!!!!! What more do you want!!!???

that's the key, he's still a rookie. imagine those numbers improving for years to come. I bet he's just hasn't unleashed his leg cause he's in his first year or hasn't had the opportunity yet

tony hipchest
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
as HTG said that makes him #15 in average (not net average) and #2 on percentage inside the 20!!!!! What more do you want!!!???to be a football? :hunch:

But on the bright side, it never hurts to have a punter capable of making a tackle with these special teams.

:chuckle: hed be a starting linebacker on the bengals.

alittlejazzbird
11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I think for a rook punter, he's done an admirable job! :thumbsup: As of Week #10, Danny is 15th in the NFL in average (43.7) and 2nd in the NFL in percentage of kicks inside the 20 (44.2%). Not bad for a first-year punter.

Ladies - wouldn't you just LOVE to be a football? :wink02:

Yes indeed, I would! That kid is a hottie and a half. Most excellent photo, HTG -- thanks as always for providing such lovely visual materials.

AND he's a talented punter who will only get better and better. Like every other member of the team, he had an off day on Sunday, but so far I think he's doing fine. Possibly his middle-of-the-pack punt average is due to the fact that the Steelers aren't often punting from deep in their own end, so he doesn't have to kick it 60 yards. As long as he's having them downed inside the 20, that's the stat that matters most, IMO.

revefsreleets
11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Sep and Reed are NOT where our ST problems lie.

alittlejazzbird
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM

I know what you mean by this -- the Steelers have had major kickoff and punt coverage issues, which admittedly did improve Sunday, at least until that last one -- but I think Jeff Reed is having trouble getting deep on kickoffs again. I noticed it Sunday; he could barely get those kicks to the 20 yard line, like last season. In earlier seasons, he'd kick them well into the endzone. Even at the beginning of this season he was doing fine, but over the last couple games he's reverted to shorter kicks. We're giving opponents a shorter field to work with.

revefsreleets
11-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Actually, that's the plan. Kick the ball up in the air and give the coverage time to get down and smother the ball. Reed has shown an ability this year to kick the ball, if not into the EZ, at least close to it. But with the coverage errors and poor play the coaches are opting for taking less risk of the big return at the expense of a little field position.

steelpride12
11-20-2007, 08:23 PM
You can't beat on this kid already.
1. He is a rookie mistakes will happen.
2.He has done good all year and does have a powerful leg
3.Prob. just a bad luck kick
Trust me we took and chancing taking him kinda early in the draft and he is paying off with great and accuarate kicks!

fansince'76
11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Beats Gardocki's 25-yard knuckleballs.

tony hipchest
11-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Possibly his middle-of-the-pack punt average is due to the fact that the Steelers aren't often punting from deep in their own end, so he doesn't have to kick it 60 yards.great point. that helps explain what may appear to be mediocrity up until now.

his "balls downed inside the 20" (easy ladies :chuckle: ) seem to support this.

The Duke
11-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Beats Gardocki's 25-yard knuckleballs.

yep, anything's an improvement over that. and Sep is carrying Chris legacy, I believe 15 years from now he won't have a single punt blocked :wink02:

fansince'76
11-20-2007, 10:16 PM
yep, anything's an improvement over that. and Sep is carrying Chris legacy, I believe 15 years from now he won't have a single punt blocked :wink02:

And, for Preacher's benefit, he is a TWO-TIME RAY GUY AWARD WINNER. :chuckle:

Rhee Rhee
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM
come on give me a break like he's a two time ray-guy award winner.. give him time and he'll be incredible... look at andy lee did anyone here about him when he first came out? nope.. but now he's like the best punter in the NFL so just hold ur horses

Galax Steeler
11-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Iv'e got no problam with his punting I think he is doing a great job.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Possibly his middle-of-the-pack punt average is due to the fact that the Steelers aren't often punting from deep in their own end, so he doesn't have to kick it 60 yards. As long as he's having them downed inside the 20, that's the stat that matters most, IMO.

As Tony said...this is a great point. Very insightful. I think that everyone who is on the Andy Lee bandwagon needs to look at the very telling fact that he has had to punt 60 times compared to Sepulveda's 38.

Counselor
11-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Thank you---couldn't have said it better myself!

fansince'76
11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
As of Week #10, Danny is....2nd in the NFL in percentage of kicks inside the 20 (44.2%).

And THAT is the key stat - not net average. He was booming 55-60 yarders consistently in preseason when the games didn't count. The kid has plenty of leg strength.

HometownGal
11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Ladies - Danny is featured in Go Magazine this month. The link below will take you to his interview - good stuff! :thumbsup: I subscribe to this online - it's free. Guys - there are a lot of great articles in there, as well, if you are interested.

http://www.goburgh.com/images/stories/nov_sepulveda1.jpg

http://www.goburgh.com//index.php?op...sk=view&id=210

Preacher
01-06-2008, 11:40 PM
As Tony said...this is a great point. Very insightful. I think that everyone who is on the Andy Lee bandwagon needs to look at the very telling fact that he has had to punt 60 times compared to Sepulveda's 38.

we REALLY ONLY PUNTED 38 TIMES?

Wow. That is a great stat. you realize that means we only punted, about 2.5 times a game. That is not bad at all.

Not only that, but how many times did Sep. have to RUSH his punt because of people coming in. There was a number of times he was almost blocked...

Once again, it rests with the line... yeah, the punting line is different... but it means we have some real issues with the line coaching.

fansince'76
01-06-2008, 11:48 PM
we REALLY ONLY PUNTED 38 TIMES?

Actually Preacher, we only punted 38 times up through mid-late November. :chuckle:

Preacher
01-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Actually Preacher, we only punted 38 times up through mid-late November. :chuckle:

OK. That makes more sense!

WWIIOwheelz
01-07-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm of the opinion he's done a phenomenal job this year, and one of the best in the game at his position. His stats don't do him the justice his efforts have deserved, because the coverage team around him has been abysmally bad.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't his punt at the end of the game towards the open end of the stadium? That's right into the wind, so keeping it low was by design, I'm sure. Going 3 & out forcing him to punt with that much time left in the game was the real issue.

Sadly, I must admit that from the middle of the season on, quite on my own, I started saying that he'd never had a punt blocked. That never fails to get a chuckle from anyone I'm talking to who's a fellow Steelers fan, but I have to say, it's a little upsetting that I'd ever think that every time we punt. :blush: