PDA

View Full Version : Any given Sunday

DACEB
11-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Here's a good article on the loss to the Jets, if there can be one. I think it reads as an unbiased opinion. I believe it also points out the inconsistencies that some of us have been harping on and BTW getting blasted for by the so called 'old timers' here.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/11/20/ramblings/any-given-sunday/5781/

One of the points in the article makes a good arguement that maybe the Steelers would be better off at this point in time with Najeh getting more carries. I must admit that I agree. I'm not saying Najeh is better than FWP, but there have been some games where Willie just can't get it going. I don't understand why we don't give Najeh more touches in those cicumstances. Willie can still be utilized on 3rd down in those games, and maybe even on KO returns. All I'm saying is that sometimes you need to adjust to certain circumstances, whether by scheme or personell.

Borski
11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Although Willies speed could be deadly on KO returns, I'm not sure its worth the risk

alittlejazzbird
11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Here's a good article on the loss to the Jets, if there can be one. I think it reads as an unbiased opinion. I believe it also points out the inconsistencies that some of us have been harping on and BTW getting blasted for by the so called 'old timers' here.

One of the points in the article makes a good arguement that maybe the Steelers would be better off at this point in time with Najeh getting more carries. I must admit that I agree.

Agreed - it's an excellent, unbiased (i.e., emotionless, which is a GOOD thing) look at what went wrong Sunday, and at what is wrong, with our fundamentally talented but definitely flawed Steelers. Succinctly summed up by this paragraph:

The Steelers are a flawed team, but they certainly have the talent to beat any team in football. Their defense is legitimately one of the very best in the league. Roethlisberger is capable of making plays nobody else can make, and he has two very talented receivers. To date, they have struggled offensively on the road for whatever reason. They are the fifth best offense in football at home but below average on the road. Nothing about their style of play or personnel would indicate that they are a bad road team. One possibility is that their margin of error on offense is so thin, they can fall apart under more difficult circumstances.

I'd like to see what Najeh could do if given significantly more carries. The guy has proven he's a legit player, and I agree with DACEB that there's nothing wrong with adjusting, if something's not working as planned, as the season goes on.

Between yinz and me, I think there's an injury issue with FWP that's more serious than we've been led to believe.

DACEB
11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Although Willies speed could be deadly on KO returns, I'm not sure its worth the risk

Basically that was an example on my part as far as if a player is struggling in one area that he can help out in others. Versatility and TEAM play. Whether it is offense or defense sometimes certain individuals are better suited for certain schemes and situations.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd like to see what Najeh could do if given significantly more carries. The guy has proven he's a legit player, and I agree with DACEB that there's nothing wrong with adjusting, if something's not working as planned, as the season goes on.

Agreed.
It might be something as simple as matchup problems. Stats for the game seem to lead us to believe that the Jets were having more problem stopping the North/South running style of Najeh.
That being said....I dont think we should automatically take that to mean that Najeh should be the starter. Whatever matchup works better is the way we should go...having the #1 run offense in the league would suggest to me that FWP is a legit #1 RB...and that Ariens just needs to be more open to throwing Najeh in when the oppositions gameplan works against Parkers obvious talents,

DACEB
11-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Agreed.
It might be something as simple as matchup problems. Stats for the game seem to lead us to believe that the Jets were having more problem stopping the North/South running style of Najeh.
That being said....I dont think we should automatically take that to mean that Najeh should be the starter. Whatever matchup works better is the way we should go...having the #1 run offense in the league would suggest to me that FWP is a legit #1 RB...and that Ariens just needs to be more open to throwing Najeh in when the oppositions gameplan works against Parkers obvious talents,

Exactly, matchups and adjustments.

revefsreleets
11-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow, that was a great article. Insightful and laser precise. I especially like the allusion to the fact that in the Steelers offensive plan, the margin of error is so thin that the slightest lack of execution kills it.

Steel Warrior
11-21-2007, 10:30 PM
He pretty much nails it what is wrong with this team, hopefully the coaches are just as smart and start making some adjustments (I doubt it after watching last week).
:smoker: