PDA

View Full Version : 10 simple changes will get us to the Super Bowl again!!!

mrdw15
11-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Hello All,
As an avid Steelers fan I feel it is my duty to make 10 simple suggestions in reference to our slumping Steelers. Please tell me if you agree with my assessment of our team thus far.

1. Use a modified West Coast offense. Just 5 to 10 yards passes to the tight end or quick slants towards the middle of the field on 1st down.

2. Ben needs to release the ball within 2.5 seconds of receiving the ball for 80 % of his passes.

3. They should pass on 1st down 80 % of the time.

4. Setup the run by passing instead of the opposite method which is way too predictable.

5. The quick passes will save Ben from having to scramble all of the time because inconsistency with the offensive line.

6. Utilize Davenport more often when trying to run up the middle. (more yards after contact)

7. Utilize Parker on getting to the corners or screen passes, also check downs from broken pass plays. (needs wide open space to run effectively)

8. Ben needs to (audible) more often when there's an obvious blitz coming.

9. The punter should aim for the out-of bounds on most of his punts. (minimize any returns)

10. Kick -offs should be handled the way there were against the Jets 95% of the time.
That's our best chance of covering the kick-off returns.

If those changes are put into action, our running game would be more explosive, (unpredictable) our defense would spend much less time on the field because our offense would spend much more time on the field & with a lot more rhythm.

Ben's sack ratio would drop about 90%, maybe 1 sack per game if that!

The bottom line is that Mike Tomlin should be making more dramatic adjustments during the game. If the running game isn't working than pass it 90 % but make them short passes, (West Coast) like. We've got great receivers and big talented tight ends.

The stats clearly show that we're much more productive when passing on 1st down & throwing short passes to move up & down the field.

You see we need to play to our strengths not weaknesses. This is our only chance of beating the Patriots and any play-off team when the regular season is over..

We can still be the dark horse of the play-offs but we have to make the basic changes that I listed above.

If the fans can see this so clearly, what is holding the professionals from seeing the same thing when studying the films?

I'm not sure if this post has a chance of being seen from anyone who can show it to the coaches but I'll guarantee 95% of the fans will agree that these changes are necessary in order to be a consistent elite team and not intermittent good team.

Good luck & may the force be with you Steelers.

Regards,
Duane
aka: mrdw15

revefsreleets
11-21-2007, 05:48 PM
If the fans can see this so clearly, what is holding the professionals from seeing the same thing when studying the films?

That's just it. Things are just not as black/white or as cut and dried as the fans would like to think they are. Some of your suggestions make sense, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them implemented (like getting WP the ball in space), but a lot of these are nearly impossible. You can't transform a team from one type of offense to another in the middle of the season. In fact, it sometimes takes a couple seasons to make that conversion. A lot of the other suggestions fall under that onus as well. It's like trying to run the 3-4 with 4-3 personnel.

And there is no way that any of us here have anything close to the knowledge and experience of the main decision makers in the Steelers organization. I doubt anyone here is working 100 hours a week trying to gameplan from team to team. They do their homework, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

steelcity58
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Actually just one change is needed.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21554&page=2

SteelDogFan
11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I believe if Ben does number two on a consistent basis the offense will click more. At times it seams as though Ben looks at the first receiver and if hes not open he scrambles. The problem some annalist had with Ben is he does not go through all receivers in his drop backs. If the first and second are not open he scrambles and waits for a receiver to break into the open.

The jets defense played that well and stuck on their receivers in he secondary. There were times when I saw receivers open and he did not throw the ball. Sometimes I would scream at the TV throw the ball. He not going 1st, 2nd, check-down. At times he its just 1st, scramble look for someone open.

Granted there are times when the o-line does not give him enough space to read the D so he has to scramble to make a play.

I just hope we don't lose to Miami, that would just be bad, I really mean bad.

zoneblitz43
11-21-2007, 08:59 PM
2 simple changes need to be made

1. The o-line needs to block.

2. Learn to tackle kick/punt returners.

Michael Keller
11-21-2007, 10:01 PM
2 simple changes need to be made

1. The o-line needs to block.

2. Learn to tackle kick/punt returners.

Thank You Thank You Thank You. It is so simple and it is so true. Thank you.

therocksteeler
11-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Agreed, 10 things listed sounds good to me. Sounded like me after the Jets loss. But like Steelers we were born as and Steelers fans we are, this team is destined for great things. Don't forget Bettis in the locker room. "This is a tight knit bunch! We proved it! We proved it! We proved we were the best team on the field today!"....Fellow fans we will win and win big! Steeler Nation Forever

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::t t02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt0 2:

Dolphins :m16:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-21-2007, 11:52 PM

1. Use a modified West Coast offense. Just 5 to 10 yards passes to the tight end or quick slants towards the middle of the field on 1st down.

This cannot and will not happen. You are asking the team to change their entire offensive philosophy and playbook, at mid-seasona t that.

2. Ben needs to release the ball within 2.5 seconds of receiving the ball for 80 % of his passes.

Another thing that's hard to do. If he does this, his INT rate will skyrocket.

3. They should pass on 1st down 80 % of the time.

It'll get predictable. At first it'll work, and then people will just set up to do stop the pass.

4. Setup the run by passing instead of the opposite method which is way too predictable.

I agree with this. Then again, we kinda tried that against Denver and it didn't work.

5. The quick passes will save Ben from having to scramble all of the time because inconsistency with the offensive line.

Not completley true. When Ben scrambles, more often than not good things happen. If he just throws the ball, he'll turn it over a lot more.

6. Utilize Davenport more often when trying to run up the middle. (more yards after contact)

I agree with this. He's more of the bruiser.

7. Utilize Parker on getting to the corners or screen passes, also check downs from broken pass plays. (needs wide open space to run effectively)

Something else I agree with, if we get the ball into his hands in open space, he can use his speed more.

8. Ben needs to (audible) more often when there's an obvious blitz coming.

Audible to what? The offensive lines cannot block, period. Audible to a run and have the runner get stuck 5 yards behinf tyhe LOS?

9. The punter should aim for the out-of bounds on most of his punts. (minimize any returns)

Not a bad idea, if he can get the defense better field position. As long as we punt away from the returner instead of right at him, we shouldn't be that bad off. But if he aims out of bounds, more often then not, the other team will have good field position.

10. Kick -offs should be handled the way there were against the Jets 95% of the time.
That's our best chance of covering the kick-off returns.

I didn't see the game, but I am assuming we kicked to the second return guy instead of Leon Washington.

Rhee Rhee
11-22-2007, 01:56 AM
im sorri but najeh is a great compliment to willie parker im just not sure he's a downhill guy.. more shifty.. and doesn't hit that hole to hard.. but what do i kno.... that west coast thing will help in the short term but most definitely won't do much come playoff time because there is simply not enough time to implement it.....

zoneblitz43
11-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Another change that needs to be made is we need to sign free agents that will help us. The only FA we signed was Mahan, and he sucks. We should have went after Randy Moss, the Pats got him for a fourth round pick! Hines Ward and Holmes are great players, but Moss can score at will. Our offense looked feeble on Sunday.

I again can't express how much I hate our o-line, who are now worse than the Raiders o-line. I can't wait until the guys who are lazy and don't do their job are shown the door and replaced with guys that show up to play and win championships.

revefsreleets
11-25-2007, 05:23 PM
I still have this little voice in the back of my head saying that our OL blocking scheme is JUST different enough that it's causing problems. It IS feasible to revert to previous schemes that this whole line (minus Mahan, but 1 < 4) is more comfortable with. It all starts up front. Why else would some scrub like Derrick Anderson be able to make the Browns a potent offense? He has protection. If he played behind the Steelers line in their current scheme, he'd be in traction in some hospital now.

moedap
11-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I still have this little voice in the back of my head saying that our OL blocking scheme is JUST different enough that it's causing problems. It IS feasible to revert to previous schemes that this whole line (minus Mahan, but 1 < 4) is more comfortable with. It all starts up front. Why else would some scrub like Derrick Anderson be able to make the Browns a potent offense? He has protection. If he played behind the Steelers line in their current scheme, he'd be in traction in some hospital now.

Derek Anderson has a quick release plus he has 2 big, tall and fast receivers which allow him to throw it not so accurately. We only have Heath. Our short receivers require Bens short passes to be more precise. And if he is going to have to be precise with his short passes he is going to need to get stellar at reading the options.