PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Sucky or Inexperienced Quarterbacks

tony hipchest
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
i havent researched this or nothing, so i could be off, BUT...

why do the steelers seem to reasonably be able to put the cuffs on qb's such as manning, hasselbeck, brady, brees, mcnabb, culpepper, palmer,

yet we give up coming out parties and game winning drives to inexperienced newbie starters such as leinart, cutler, and clements? :dang: i dont even know if he is clements or clemens... point is we gave up the guts to freaking clem, (and the rest), as if they were tom brady in the superbowl. (remember when brady got the "newbie" pass from the rams?)

take mike vick for instance. he was one of the most horrible passing qb's last season except for when he played the steelers= career high td PASSES :banging:.

now im not about to blame lebeau for anything but i do wonder if these thoughts go into defensive gameplanning:

"were facing cutler/clemens, so lets focus on stopping the run and make him beat us with his arm. eventually he's bound to make a mistake." as opposed to

"were facing manning/hasselbeck so we gotta stop the pass and make them beat us with the run.

i have heard how we play down to opponents (which appears to be true) but it seems like we let young, inexperienced players off the hook as we sit back and wait (or hope) they make a mistake while playing prevent defense.

you would think the steelers defense would kill d. anderson, leinart, cutler, and clem. after all, they were able to confuse p. manning and his offensive line of the year in 05, to the tune of 5 sacks.

is it a philosophy?

is it a lack of gamefilm to study (...the book not yet being out on how to beat a certain player)?

or is this even a trend?

even the mighty belidick has faced this... losing to a qb the 1st time he faces them, and with massive cheating and steroid use, the patriots are able to overcome the opponent. (rookie ben ended a rather significant record winning streak but flopped in the 2nd go-around)

i suspect there are some 4th quarter tendencies (vs. what appears to be inferior qb's) that opposing coordinators have picked up on.

shanahan, wiz, and mangina are 3 coaches you would think might have pretty good luck, sniffing out these tendencies (atleast not as good as billick did last year).

Galax Steeler
11-22-2007, 04:47 AM
I don't know what it is but we need to get it fixed bad.

Elvis
11-22-2007, 05:53 AM
:coffee:
Yeah Tony.. I think that it is the lack of film on the
players myself. There is like 10 or so years of film
on Peyton. It seems like the Steelers have had problems
with QB's just starting like the first time or so..
just like we did against Eli Manning his rookie year..
he had his best game against us that year seems
like.
:tt02:

Steeldude
11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
i think it's a classic case of the steelers playing down to their opponent. seems to me when the steelers are heavily favored they go into the game thinking they have already won. they need to look at every game as a SB.

that's why the pats do so well. they always bring their A-game.

The Duke
11-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Weird thing is, normally it was said LeBeau made the game difficult for young QBs, but now they're certainly beating us. Maybe they need to concentrate in playing them like the rest of the QBs, don't take them lightly either

HometownGal
11-23-2007, 01:21 PM
i think it's a classic case of the steelers playing down to their opponent. seems to me when the steelers are heavily favored they go into the game thinking they have already won. they need to look at every game as a SB.

that's why the pats do so well. they always bring their A-game.

I have to agree with you to a certain degree, but you would think when they see these opponents (QBs) having success again them, they would dismount the high horse, alter the game plan and get 'r done. I kind of agree, as well, with there not being enough reliable film out there on these junior QBs for Lebeau to formulate Plans B and C.

Rhee Rhee
11-25-2007, 01:39 AM
i think it's basically underestimating the opponent.. i remember playing i was playin soccer and we thought we had a game in the bag even b4 it started... but somehow the other team came out of the gates fast and just pounced on us and beat us 2-0.. it was brutal let's just hope the steelers dont underestimate the opponent

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Just think what would happen to us if the Golden Boy gets injured, and we have to play against Cassell!