PDA

View Full Version : Smizik: Don't panic over Steelers

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Smizik: Don't panic over Steelers
Thursday, November 22, 2007
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A week ago, the talk of the town was the Steelers' chances of earning the second seed in the AFC playoffs and the possibility of them defeating the all-powerful New England Patriots in December.

This week, the talk of the town is about how awful the Steelers are and whether they'll even be able to win the AFC North Division. No one mentions the Patriots.

There is bitterness and anger among at least a sizable portion of the fan base. Some e-mails reaching this desk and other people in the media are vitriolic. There's a feeling of having been let down and a feeling of animosity toward the Steelers in general and coach Mike Tomlin in particular.

Get a grip, folks. It's only a game. Besides, there's no reason for animosity. The Steelers promised nothing other than to do their best. That's all they owe the fans.

No one, though, should continue to despair. The Steelers will win again. They will not, as one e-mailer insisted, lose all their remaining games. They're going to win their next two games, they're going to win the AFC North, they're going to the playoffs.

You're on your own after that.

We all ride the roller-coaster with the Steelers, some just take the ride a little too seriously. When they win, they look like Super Bowl winners. When they lose, they look like losers.

Here are some things to remember:

? They're 7-3, not 3-7.

? Willie Parker is the leading rusher in the AFC, not some failed running back.

? Ben Roethlisberger is second in the league in passer rating at an excellent 110.2, behind only Tom Brady and seven points in front of Tony Romo and 14 in front of Brett Favre.

? The offensive line, bitterly criticized and understandably so after the loss Sunday to the New York Jets, is opening up enough holes that the Steelers have the No. 1 rushing offense in the AFC.

? The defense, which also took a large dose of abuse despite allowing only 16 points in regulation against the Jets, is No. 1 in the NFL, allowing a whopping 40 fewer yards per game than the second-place team.

We mention these positives because of the considerable amount of negative finger-pointing that's going around. In a sport where even the coaches are hesitant to comment before watching the tape of the game, it's dangerous to casually place blame.

For example, the seven sacks by the Jets Sunday was widely considered to be the fault of the offensive line. At his news conference Tuesday, Tomlin suggested otherwise.

"It's not a five-man job," he said. "It's a unit job. Our failures in that area were shared by all."

He indicated the wide receivers share some of the blame for not getting open and the quarterback shares some of the blame for holding on to the ball too long.

While it's clear the line deserves some of the blame -- probably the majority of it -- let's not forget this same unit has cleared the way for the best rushing offense in the AFC. They are not the incompetent slackers too many are contending they are.

The best positive news concerning the Steelers is that their next two games are at home against the Miami Dolphins Monday and the Cincinnati Bengals six days later. The Dolphins are 0-10, the Bengals 3-7. The Steelers own an 11-point win against the Bengals in Cincinnati.

It's time to forget the loss to the Jets. Those things happen. Great teams are upset, and the Steelers are not a great team, despite what we allowed ourselves to think.

It remains entirely possible, despite the miserable showing against the Jets, the Steelers are the third-best team in the AFC. Certainly, they are not in a class with New England. When the Indianapolis Colts are healthy, and they're not and won't be for some time, they're better than the Steelers. But the rest of the conference is loaded with teams like the Steelers -- that can look terrific one week and awful the next.

Remember the anger and disgust in 2005 when the Steelers lost three consecutive games, to Baltimore, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, in November and December, to fall to 7-5. Many thought a playoff berth had vanished with those defeats. No one expected a Super Bowl win.

It's time to view the Steelers for what they are, a good team with flaws -- just like the majority of the NFL.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07326/835972-194.stm

HometownGal
11-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Good article by Smizik putting this season into its proper perspective. :thumbsup:

This makes me want to heave:

There is bitterness and anger among at least a sizable portion of the fan base. Some e-mails reaching this desk and other people in the media are vitriolic. There's a feeling of having been let down and a feeling of animosity toward the Steelers in general and coach Mike Tomlin in particular.

The let down part I can understand - I think we all felt varying degrees of disappointment after the Jets game, but animosity towards the team and Coach Tomlin??? :jawdrop: WOW. Some of these people really need to get a freakin' grip. As Smizik so correctly states above -

The Steelers promised nothing other than to do their best. That's all they owe the fans.

A-freakin' MEN. :jammin:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Ok....I think fans have the right to bash their team if they want or not....It doesn't make anybody less of a fan for stating their opinion good or bad.....Some people are just positive while some are just negative....

Last time I checked these coaches/players make millions to play a game.....lol So I see no problems with people bashing them......

As for this current loss....I'm not that upset about it.....I knew the Oline was garbage heading into the year....So no shock here that this group is killing the team....I was just hoping Tomlin/Zierlein could make some adjustments to help this current group....Well its clear the Steelers need to make over the entire Oline.....lol

The Steelers are a good team but without a dominant Oline they can't win a Super Bowl....The Oline is the heart of your football team.....So thats why I'm not sweating the loss to much...Hell but play-offs with a first time HC isn't all that bad.....Plus Big Ben is entering his prime in the next few years...So I'm sure there is great times ahead...Just be patient....

Stlrs4Life
11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Very good read!

stlrtruck
11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
As I've stated before I don't mind a team losing - but what I can't stand is when they don't play well and lose the way they did to the jets.

However, with that being said, it's a great article and I'm sure, although I'm guilty of pointing fingers this week, that Tomlin will have them focused for the Monday Nighter against the phish and then take this one game at a time into the remaining 5 games after it!!!

I never jumped ship, was just disappointed in the performance of the game!

HometownGal
11-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok....I think fans have the right to bash their team if they want or not....It doesn't make anybody less of a fan for stating their opinion good or bad.....Some people are just positive while some are just negative....

I have no problem at all with fans critiquing their team, but when I see and hear fans expecting their team to be perfect every week come hell or high water and not have up and down games (and seasons) as ALL teams do at some point, (even the Patsies who aren't going to be at the top forever), along with expecting the team to win the division, get into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl every freakin' season - that's when I want to throttle the living sh it out of 'em.

Last time I checked these coaches/players make millions to play a game.....lol So I see no problems with people bashing them......

There are also a ton of people who do nothing but sit behind a desk with an iron fist, dictating to others what to do their entire lives and make millions. :hunch:

It isn't just about playing a game, Dan. These guys have to be in tip-top physical condition and go through rigorous drills both in TC and in daily practices (with a day off here and there). Their bodies go through hell and some of the injuries stick with them after their playing days are over. I never make light of what these guys do.

MasterOfPuppets
11-22-2007, 12:54 PM
These guys have to be in tip-top physical condition
:toofunny:....i'm sorry, but thats just funny !!! have you noticed the physique on 90 % of the linemen in the league ? just look at our own " big snack " . these guys can't sprint 50 yds down the field without grabbing the oxygen mask...:sofunny:

stillers4me
11-22-2007, 12:59 PM
:toofunny:....i'm sorry, but thats just funny !!! have you noticed the physique on 90 % of the linemen in the league ? just look at our own " big snack " . these guys can't sprint 50 yds down the field without grabbing the oxygen mask...:sofunny:

He's the perfect shape for what we need him for. :sofunny:

HometownGal
11-22-2007, 01:00 PM

Let me ask you something here. Could you do what they do?

MasterOfPuppets
11-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Let me ask you something here. Could you do what they do?
10 years ago...absolutly !!! i'm no small potatoe...6 - 3 ....270 lbs... but i don't look like i have an 8 gallon keg under my shirt...lol. i'll be 40 yrs old in a few months....the 20 yrs of construction work are catching up with me.

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Well Said Mr. Smizik!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I have no problem at all with fans critiquing their team, but when I see and hear fans expecting their team to be perfect every week come hell or high water and not have up and down games (and seasons) as ALL teams do at some point, (even the Patsies who aren't going to be at the top forever), along with expecting the team to win the division, get into the playoffs and win the Super Bowl every freakin' season - that's when I want to throttle the living sh it out of 'em.

There are also a ton of people who do nothing but sit behind a desk with an iron fist, dictating to others what to do their entire lives and make millions. :hunch:

It isn't just about playing a game, Dan. These guys have to be in tip-top physical condition and go through rigorous drills both in TC and in daily practices (with a day off here and there). Their bodies go through hell and some of the injuries stick with them after their playing days are over. I never make light of what these guys do.

You don't think I'm full aware of what these players put their bodies through....But I don't feel sorry for these current players...I feel sorry for the older players who didn't make millions and now are suffering and can't even get the NFL to compensate them and are the main reason why the NFL is what it is today....So save the pity party for the old timers who didn't make millions....:thumbsup:Not these over paid spoiled ego maniacs that play today...

I'm sorry if fans want to boo, be critical of a bunch ego maniacal,multi millionaires then its their right.....it doesn't make them any less of a fan......

steelcity58
11-22-2007, 04:55 PM
The Steelers have had a tough time beating even the mediocre Bledsoe led Pats,
much less the cheats and the geniuses that are Brady, Bellichik and apparently
anyone who knows that they can line up Vrabel anytime at the goal line and throw
some dump pass for a TD and recieve the same shocked look from the opposing
team.

Vrabel is a linebacker. You see him line up, you put one of your hardest hitters,
and catch the guy square in the jawline, whether he is in the play or not.

Do that, and then you force the "thinkers" to maybe think about not losing
one of their best LB's by trying to be cute.

Football is only a chess match until you knock someone's ass in the dirt.

Glace
11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
You just have to understand that people are passionate about their football teams.

Yes there is a difference between pointing out flaws and mistakes, and just plain saying crap like Tomlin should be fired or players should be benched.

The loss to the Jets is still hurting me. It's a pain like sombody is stabbing me. Watching the O-line constantly fold all night was like having needles shoved under my fingernails....But in the greater scheme...we get to go out and cheer for our team on Monday night!!

steelcity58
11-22-2007, 05:09 PM
You just have to understand that people are passionate about their football teams.

Yes there is a difference between pointing out flaws and mistakes, and just plain saying crap like Tomlin should be fired or players should be benched.

The loss to the Jets is still hurting me. It's a pain like sombody is stabbing me. Watching the O-line constantly fold all night was like having needles shoved under my fingernails....But in the greater scheme...we get to go out and cheer for our team on Monday night!!

Hey, I am a die hard Steelers fan and have been for years. Even when they lose by 30 points I still watch every play.
I'm a fan by choice and not birth, meaning I have been to Pittsburgh just twice to see them beat the Browns in 06
and Seattle this year.

I can just feel what is wrong here, I have been following the Steelers so long.

If that makes sense.:tt02:

Haiku_Dirtt
11-23-2007, 01:40 AM

As for this current loss....I'm not that upset about it.....I knew the Oline was garbage heading into the year....So no shock here that this group is killing the team....I was just hoping Tomlin/Zierlein could make some adjustments to help this current group....Well its clear the Steelers need to make over the entire Oline.....lol

The Steelers are a good team but without a dominant Oline they can't win a Super Bowl....The Oline is the heart of your football team.....So thats why I'm not sweating the loss to much...Hell but play-offs with a first time HC isn't all that bad.....Plus Big Ben is entering his prime in the next few years...So I'm sure there is great times ahead...Just be patient....

And didn't we have this topic of conversation almost 2 years ago. It's in the database.

I DONT WANT TO GO TO THE AFCCG.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-23-2007, 01:47 AM

Shoots. Just check the database. We spoke about our impending o-line problems 2 seasons ago. Just look back into our threads.

There is no shame in rebuilding. Poor draft positioning is the political hot potato though.

OX1947
11-23-2007, 02:06 AM
If the Steelers weren't losing to a 1 game winner on the 10th week or the Arizona Cardinals who have a crappy offense and haven't won anything meaningful in 50 years, I don't think the sting would be as bad.

We destroy a really good QB in Seattle but then get your ass handed to you by a rookie QB who has barley played this year? Doesn't make much sense to me. Personally, Offense and defense is fine, our special teams cost us the Arizona game and the Jets game. And not for Ben, we would have lost a couple more.

Galax Steeler
11-23-2007, 03:46 AM
If the Steelers weren't losing to a 1 game winner on the 10th week or the Arizona Cardinals who have a crappy offense and haven't won anything meaningful in 50 years, I don't think the sting would be as bad.

We destroy a really good QB in Seattle but then get your ass handed to you by a rookie QB who has barley played this year? Doesn't make much sense to me. Personally, Offense and defense is fine, our special teams cost us the Arizona game and the Jets game. And not for Ben, we would have lost a couple more.

Agreed there is alot of what ifs but where would we be now if our special teams had played up to par.

HometownGal
11-23-2007, 11:58 AM
10 years ago...absolutly !!! i'm no small potatoe...6 - 3 ....270 lbs... but i don't look like i have an 8 gallon keg under my shirt...lol. i'll be 40 yrs old in a few months....the 20 yrs of construction work are catching up with me.

Now it's MY turn to laugh. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::wink02:

NV STEELERS 723
11-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Smiz,,,, next week he'll be bashing the STEELERS for not beating Miami by 21 pts..

Steel_Bus_24
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry, I've loved the Steelers since birth but that Jets loss is going to stick with me for a while, even if we destroy the Bengals and phins. There just isn't any excuse for dropping a 3rd game to sub par competition .

I'm still going to root for my team with all my heart , but we have very little room for error from here on out , and a lot of growing up to do.....not a good combination

delhess
11-24-2007, 06:10 AM
good article. thanks!