PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are Mouthy

jjpro11
11-22-2007, 01:08 PM
this supports my belief that the team severely lacks discipline with the 3 road losses to inferior teams. i dont think tomlin deserves all the blame for it either. this all started last season after winning the super bowl. they played poorly on the road last year other than in ohio and cowher wasnt much of a disciplinarian, which translated to their play on the field. the article below is probably because our DBs never shut up.

from PFT.

POSTED 8:58 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 10:16 a.m. EST, November 22, 2007

TOMLIN'S STEELERS TALK TRASH

A league source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers have become one of the mouthiest teams in the league during the first year of the Mike Tomlin regime.

Even without Joey Porter on the roster.

The source says it was never that way under former coach Bill Cowher.

Except for Joey Porter.

The Steelers are 7-3 in Tomlin's initial season as a head coach. But there are questions about how good the team is, given that they lost to the Jets in Week Eleven.

Then again, the surprisingly solid Browns are 6-2 in the games they haven't played against the Steelers.

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
from PFT

:coffee:

Even if it is true, so what? Teams talk trash. They keep it out of the media from what I've read/heard. It's not like they are throwing out bulletin board material before every game. Talking trash is the least of our concerns. That has nothing to do with our horrible specials teams play and our offensive line looking as if they couldn't hang in a midget league.

Hey, maybe they do talk more trash with Tomlin leading the way than they did when Cowher led the way. But one thing is for sure, they are not taking the stupid 15 yard penalties for taunting and excessive celebration like they were last year under Cowher ("It will never happen again").

Overall, this is a non-issue in my opinion. Considering the source makes it even that much more unreliable and meaningless.

tony hipchest
11-22-2007, 01:43 PM

Even if it is true, so what? Teams talk trash. They keep it out of the media from what I've read/heard. It's not like they are throwing out bulletin board material before every game. Talking trash is the least of our concerns. That has nothing to do with our horrible specials teams play and our offensive line looking as if they couldn't hang in a midget league.

Hey, maybe they do talk more trash with Tomlin leading the way than they did when Cowher led the way. But one thing is for sure, they are not taking the stupid 15 yard penalties for taunting and excessive celebration like they were last year under Cowher ("It will never happen again").

Overall, this is a non-issue in my opinion. Considering the source makes it even that much more unreliable and meaningless.and the league source that was cited? probably a patriot trying to drum up some confidence for an upcoming game. lemme guess.... we already booked our rooms for the superbowl, too. :rolleyes:

speaking of talking trash to the media tom brady said he wants to "kill teams" and the patriots said the buffalo players need to return their paychecks, after last sunday nights game. :jawdrop: and here i thought it was bad enough to silently running up the score on all their opponents.

so where are the articles on this? yeah, its the steelers with a problem :dang:

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2007, 01:50 PM
and the league source that was cited? probably a patriot trying to drum up some confidence for an upcoming game. lemme guess.... we already booked our rooms for the superbowl, too. :rolleyes:

speaking of talking trash to the media tom brady said he wants to "kill teams" and the patriots said the buffalo players need to return their paychecks, after last sunday nights game. :jawdrop: and here i thought it was bad enough to silently running up the score on all their opponents.

so where are the articles on this? yeah, its the steelers with a problem :dang:

That's the classy organization we have come to know as the New England Patriots. Class and professionalism my ass.

The difference, they are yapping off in the media. It's not as if they are keeping it on the field. I have yet to hear a Steeler player or coach degrade the opposing team all season long.

Personally, I have no problem if players want to talk trash on the field, it's when you start yapping to the media in the week leading up to the game that can come back and bite you.

Michael Keller
11-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Overall, this is a non-issue in my opinion. Considering the source makes it even that much more unreliable and meaningless.

Excellent post & comparison between the two teams.. I for one hope they are talking trash on the field. I do not care for the demonstrative celebration crap, Chad Johnson and TO. Talking trash and bravado is part of the emotional zone athletes go to. Larry Bird in basketball did it to elevate his confidence and to "destroy " his defender. The football field is a war zone. It is not for the faint at heart. I spent this whole week asking mysel if this Steeler team which I so love has the passion and emotional intensity required to play 4 quarters of high level football game after game. I still do not know the answer. Your points made in your post are well taken. The current team's poor offesnive line & special teams play, last years stupid 15 yard penlties due to a lack of disicpline in poor coaching is totally correct. Tomlin is on the right path.

I am encouraged by the possibility that the Steelers talk trash and I am hopefull this team will get pissed off and remember their legacy. They are the Pittsburgh
Steelers and unlike last year when the Ravens shoved them around and this year when the lowly Jets again shoved them around they are going to send the message as Jack lambert did to Cliff Harris and Joe Greene did so many time let the world know WE THE STEELERS DO SHOVING . Sunday's game was one of the worst games I have seen in a long time.

When I see the Steeler passion & toughness return , and it will , then we will know the Steelers are in control of their destiny, New England not withstanding. This teams has talent and it has some weakness. I think Ben Rothlisberger is capable of compensating for the weakness of the OL. Shorter passing game , pass more on 1st down and pass more often on apparent running situyations. In short pass to run. Ben is an incredible athlete who is just beginning to emerge. Put the ball is his hands and optimize his abilities. There is hope and plenty of it. I will be dissapointed and surprised if the coaches do not adjust. Bring on the trash and bring on the Steeler intensity.

jjpro11
11-22-2007, 02:19 PM
i dont necessarily mind the trash talking either. but the team has been taking vacations during road games for the past 2 seasons now. they just dont seem as focused like in 2004 and 05. if you take away our 4 wins in ohio the past two seasons, we are 1-8 on the road.

tony hipchest
11-22-2007, 02:32 PM
if you take away our 4 wins in ohio the past two seasons, we are 1-8 on the road.

whew... :dang: that is one UGLY stat.

steelcity58
11-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I was always under the impression that one takes out the trash, not bury their mouths
in it and spit out what they find.

Borski
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
the surprisingly solid Browns are 6-2 in the games they haven't played against the Steelers.

:toofunny: Haha, why does this amuse me so much?

[sorry, off topic, i know]

SteelersJW
11-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Who gives a sh*t, this is football, these guys are getting paid millions of dollars. If someone's feelings are hurt because of trash talk that's happening on the field, obviously he doesn't have confidence in his own team.

Rhee Rhee
11-23-2007, 01:24 AM
who the hell cares? its just part of the game... besides i really wouldn't mind if we were the dirtiest team in the NFL and we talked the most trash by far of any team as long as we were undefeated..

HometownGal
11-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not into the pre-game trash talking. I'd rather see the team do their talking on the field by playing smash-mouth physical football. :thumbsup:

Borski
11-23-2007, 02:09 PM
As long as they can back up what they say and don't overdo the smack talk, I don't mind it.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-23-2007, 03:44 PM
It's better than Porter shooting his mouth off at the other team all week before the game.

Let them talk trsh, 7 times this year they backed it up.

revefsreleets
11-23-2007, 06:00 PM
"from PFT"

The World Weekly News of the NFL.

I haven't noticed any more trash talking then usual, and I would: I HATE all that garbage.

Steeldude
11-23-2007, 06:47 PM
sounds like a team that isn't focused on their job. which seems to be true when you look at last week's game.

Mosca
11-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Hell, I don't care if they talk trash; IT'S SMART FOOTBALL. You get the other guy looking to take that shot at you, the ref tosses the hankie, and that's 15 yards baby!

As long as all our trash is talk and not cheap shot, as long as WE aren't retaliating and getting the flag, it's cool with me. Goading the other guys into losing their cool is part of the head game. I wish it would work more often, but it's still cool with me.

Galax Steeler
11-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Let them talk the trash it is part of the game.

Elvis
11-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Now I guess it is debateable of whether anyone wants to hear my thoughts on this matter, but here they are.
For the last 4 or 5 years it seems the Steelers have been one of the worst teams in the league for talking trash. I personally HATE IT!!
From Joey Porter on up or on down. Larry Foote is one of the worlds worst to speak trash. Does anyone ever see Troy Polomalu getting up in someones face after he makes a great play? I didnt think so!!
If anyone should talk trash it could have been Jerry Rice... did he?...NO He Didnt... Emmit Smith the NFL's all time rushing leader... Did you ever hear this young man talking trash? NO!!
The Great Ones Dont Have To Talk Trash, They Let Their Play Speak For Them.. Tyrone Carter is one of the worst talkers in todays Steelers.. what has he done to deserve to think that he has the right to do this?
JUST PLAY THE GAME... MAKE THE PLAY THAT IS NEEDED AND GO SET DOWN.
:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
11-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Hell, I don't care if they talk trash; IT'S SMART FOOTBALL. You get the other guy looking to take that shot at you, the ref tosses the hankie, and that's 15 yards baby!

As long as all our trash is talk and not cheap shot, as long as WE aren't retaliating and getting the flag, it's cool with me. Goading the other guys into losing their cool is part of the head game. I wish it would work more often, but it's still cool with me.

The PFT "source" was probably someone watching the Browns game on TV or one of the Browns after the loss

IMO Taylor and Smith feed off each other - I do not like it but until a taunting call costs a game it will continue

OX1947
11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Whats wrong with someone saying they want to kill the other team? Thats what all of them should say. This is football not paddy cake. Hell even Bill Walsh in his meetings use to say you just have to pound them to submission. And this from a coach that was a "finesse" type. Football is football. Whos gonna knock off whos block faster and harder. And if you have a couple of things that are knowledgeable, yah it helps but ultimately it is who is the strongest.

Preacher
11-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I would SURMISE... It isn't ANYTHING I know.. .but I would surmise that it is the defense that is doing the trash talking.

Look at their season... well, they can trash talk. And I also bet it is the presence of A. Smith and Silverback that is pushing it.

Atlanta Dan
11-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I would SURMISE... It isn't ANYTHING I know.. .but I would surmise that it is the defense that is doing the trash talking.

Look at their season... well, they can trash talk. And I also bet it is the presence of A. Smith and Silverback that is pushing it.

IMO Silverback just beats you up - Farrior yaps but I think keeps it under control - in addition to Smith & Taylor, IMO Foote yells up a storm, based on my recollection Porter & Foote rolled up taunting/late hit flags on successive plays in the Raiders loss in 2006.

Steeldude
11-25-2007, 01:52 AM
IMO Silverback just beats you up - Farrior yaps but I think keeps it under control - in addition to Smith & Taylor, IMO Foote yells up a storm, based on my recollection Porter & Foote rolled up taunting/late hit flags on successive plays in the Raiders loss in 2006.

foote is someone who needs to play alot better and keep his mouth shut. the guy gets mowed down too much for an ILB. he hasn't show anything that any average LB couldn't do every week. it's just like porter for the last few years.

revefsreleets
11-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Porter talked more smack himself in one game (any game you pick) last year then this whole team has collectively this whole year. As his game got smaller, his mouth got bigger.

This is more PFT nonsense.

X-Terminator
11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
It's PFT. Enough said.

At any rate, I don't mind the trash talk all that much, you just need to be smart when you do it, and leave it on the field or in the locker room. When it spills over into the media, then I have a problem.