PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Day Football thread

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 02:22 PM
First let's start with happy Thanksgiving to all ... particular shout out to those who can't be with family today. I eat late so no trivctifan(sp) until into the Cowboys game.

Watching Green Bay smoke Detroit at the time ....missed part of the game because when you are playing a board game with my nephew you got a keep your eye on him - especially if he is the banker.

Favre just through an incompletion. The first one in like 20 passes. The man is amazing. It is a joy to watch him. The Lions are apparently who they thought they were all these years.

Watching Brett is like watching the Steelers in the late 70's, or Jordan win his last few NBA titles. It's a rare opportunity to watch one of the greats at the end of their careers still good enough to amaze. Could Favre pull the magic out and beat the cow chips when they meet - finger crossed.

The Duke
11-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Lions attempting a comeback. this could get interesting....

Favre is definitely the best in the business in my opinion. I would love nothing more than seeing him in the superbowl, and if our steelers are not playing in the bowl then I want him to win it

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I think he could play a couple more seasons. Of course, if he did win the Super bowl ... what a way to go out. Lokks like P{ackers will hold on.

What a day it sould be if the Jets beat the Cowboys.

The Duke
11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Packer win! Great performance by Favre.

Now let's go Jets, beat them cowboys!

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Packer win! Great performance by Favre.

Now let's go Jets, beat them cowboys!

Agreed, but it do'nt look to good.

The Jets can't move the ball.

eafratitpm3
11-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I just hope they don't blow the Jets out!

fansince'76
11-22-2007, 04:21 PM
21-0, Dallas. Again, how did we lose to these bums? :dang: :pissed:

eafratitpm3
11-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm sitting here watching the Jets get it handed to them and my Thanksgiving dinner is about to come up. :dang:

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 04:22 PM
I just hope they don't blow the Jets out!

Doesn't look like you are going to get your wish. The Jets already played their best game of the year.

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 04:24 PM
21-0, Dallas. Again, how did we lose to these bums? :dang: :pissed:

Young QB with 2 weeks two prepare vs Steelers

Young QB 4 days to prepare vs Cowboys

cubanstogie
11-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Its pretty depressing to watch this pathetic Jets team and know they beat us. I just don't understand. Maybe our O-line is as bad as some of you say. I still think Steelers would beat the Cowboys, Packers and Giants though.

eafratitpm3
11-22-2007, 04:35 PM
#28 Offense against #1 Defense
#29 Defense against #10 Offense

They still suck! GO STEELERS!!!!!!

jjpro11
11-22-2007, 04:46 PM

bullshit.. theres no excuse. the cowboys only had 4 days to prepare for them.. they out-physicaled us on offense and defense. it doesnt take much preparation to miss tackles and forget how to block.

steelcity58
11-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Not that simple.

Allowing 7 sacks...getting 50 some odd yards rushing...allowing a 100 yard rusher
who also happens to be an RB who is usually nowhere.

eafratitpm3
11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Our D should have had a field day against this offense!

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 05:41 PM
bullshit.. theres no excuse. the cowboys only had 4 days to prepare for them.. they out-physicaled us on offense and defense. it doesnt take much preparation to miss tackles and forget how to block.

Well the layoff is not the whole story with regard to our loss. However, here both teams had the same amount of time (4days), as opposed to one team having double the time. As I said, the two weeks preparation for the Jets isn't an excuse fir the Steelers to have lost, but wherein you have a young QB like the Jets having the two weeks makes a huge difference, since the coaches have the time to hold his hand. Clearly the Jets QB was more comfortable in the game against the Steelers than here today. Of course, playing at home last week helped as well.

As for the Jets D, I think they played pretty good today regardless of the score. Jets, no first down in the third quarter. No D can play well under that scenario. Also, note that the Jets NT has been pretty good today at beating the Cowboys' center.

fansince'76
11-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Either way, it's hard to watch this and not get torqued off all over again over the debacle last Sunday. :mad:

jjpro11
11-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Well the layoff is not the whole story with regard to our loss. However, here both teams had the same amount of time (4days), as opposed to one team having double the time. As I said, the two weeks preparation for the Jets isn't an excuse fir the Steelers to have lost, but wherein you have a young QB like the Jets having the two weeks makes a huge difference, since the coaches have the time to hold his hand. Clearly the Jets QB was more comfortable in the game against the Steelers than here today. Of course, playing at home last week helped as well.

As for the Jets D, I think they played pretty good today regardless of the score. Jets, no first down in the third quarter. No D can play well under that scenario. Also, note that the Jets NT has been pretty good today at beating the Cowboys' center.

it just doesnt matter much to me.. good teams overcome these kinds of things if they are facing inferior teams as weak as the jets. could you really see the pats, full strength colts, cowboys, or packers losing to the jets last week even with the bye week? i just cant. we need to be more consistent.

OneForTheToe
11-22-2007, 06:05 PM
it just doesnt matter much to me.. good teams overcome these kinds of things if they are facing inferior teams as weak as the jets. could you really see the pats, full strength colts, cowboys, or packers losing to the jets last week even with the bye week? i just cant. we need to be more consistent.

I generally agree ... to be great you have to TCOB regardless of scheduling, injuries ect. Still, I do accept the fact that the Jets offense looked dynamite the first few series and I believe that if their young QB doesn't have two weeks to prepare he doesn't make those plays early. None of that will make the Steelers' O'line any better, but it would have given us a better chance to overcome our deficiency

eafratitpm3
11-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I agree our intensity was/is SH*T at the beginning of games. I think the only game they came out with Intensity from the get go was the Baltimore game and I believe that was only because of the 75th Anniversary and they wanted to look good in front of our old timers! Harrison is a beast!!!!!

Edman
11-22-2007, 07:21 PM
The Cowboys further emphasize why the Steelers are a good team this year and not a great one. Great teams don't lose to crappy teams like the Jets. I don't buy into Hines' "bound to have a bad game" excuse.

I expect the Steelers to get in gear against the Fish, but even that isn't a given.

eafratitpm3
11-22-2007, 07:47 PM
If the Falcons beat the Colts we are back in the drivers seat!

The Duke
11-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Warrick Dunn goes over 10000 career rushing yards, congrats to him!

PisnNapalm
11-22-2007, 09:22 PM
The Cowboys further emphasize why the Steelers are a good team this year and not a great one. Great teams don't lose to crappy teams like the Jets. I don't buy into Hines' "bound to have a bad game" excuse.

I expect the Steelers to get in gear against the Fish, but even that isn't a given.

I agree. We're very good, but not great yet. I think we're a couple o-linemen away though. I just don't see them opening up the holes like they did the last few years.

Edman
11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I agree. We're very good, but not great yet. I think we're a couple o-linemen away though. I just don't see them opening up the holes like they did the last few years.

The Steelers are an O-Line away from domination, not greatness. And a legit #3 reciever too.

If this team can compile a 7-3 record with this joke of an O-Line, we know this team has the talent to do great things. I've always imagined what could've been if we had Ben under center for those 90's teams.

jjpro11
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree our intensity was/is SH*T at the beginning of games. I think the only game they came out with Intensity from the get go was the Baltimore game and I believe that was only because of the 75th Anniversary and they wanted to look good in front of our old timers! Harrison is a beast!!!!!

we were really fired up for the first game in cleveland. it would be really hard to imagine tomlin losing his first game and it being against the browns.. so i expected that. we played well for the most part in the game at cincy.. but the browns game was the only away game we played from start to end.

therocksteeler
11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Lions attempting a comeback. this could get interesting....

Favre is definitely the best in the business in my opinion. I would love nothing more than seeing him in the superbowl, and if our steelers are not playing in the bowl then I want him to win it

Agreed!:sign01:

jjpro11
11-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Agreed!:sign01:

him taking down the pats in the super bowl would be the next best thing to us taking them down in the afccg in foxboro. :thumbsup:

alittlejazzbird
11-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Either way, it's hard to watch this and not get torqued off all over again over the debacle last Sunday. :mad:

TOTALLY agree with you on this, '76. I had barely recovered from Sunday's loss and then had to be subjected to the pathetic effort the Jets managed against Dallas. Honestly, it felt like Sunday all over again. I cannot figure this Steelers team out. Apparently, neither can SI's Don Banks:

Watching the Jets run up the white flag in that 34-3 loss at Dallas only made me more dubious about the Steelers. How is it that Pittsburgh can look so good some weeks, and then lose to a New York team that's capable of putting up such little fight against the Cowboys?

I still like the Steelers to beat out Cleveland and claim the AFC North title, and that's a great first season for Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh. But a No. 3 seed will likely earn the Steelers a trip to No. 2 Indy in the divisional round, and I don't see Pittsburgh pulling the upset at the RCA Dome for the second time in three years.

(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/11/23/banks.shots/index.html)

I love my team, but I gotta say, he has a point.