PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing it outside - Willie Parker

BlastFurnace
11-25-2007, 11:39 PM
I saw Westbrook bounce it outside over and over again tonight. Why Parker just lowers his head and just runs into the pile is beyond me because he is just as talented as Westbrook and he could do the same thing. Perhaps Westbrook just has better running back vision than Parker...I don't know. I would just like to see go outside more when it is jammed up in the middle.

jjpro11
11-25-2007, 11:40 PM
westbrook has incredible vision. parker has the physical talent, he just doesnt seem to have the experience and vision that guys like westbrook and tomlinson have.

fansince'76
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Westbrook was 17-52 on the ground tonight - the exact same kind of numbers that Willie would get criticized to death for....

The Duke
11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Westbrook was 17-52 on the ground tonight - the exact same kind of numbers that Willie would get criticized to death for....

difference is they pass to westbrook, something they almost never do with willie and when they do it actually seems to work pretty well.

screen passes worked well in the past with willie, they should use it more.

bottom line is yes, they got to get willie more on the outside. a big difference right now between him and other succesful runningbacks is that his average is a 4.0, and that comes from the constant running him up the middle for no gain and doing it over and over. if it ain't working they gotta bounce him outside, I just wish Arians tried it....

Galax Steeler
11-26-2007, 05:15 AM
difference is they pass to westbrook, something they almost never do with willie and when they do it actually seems to work pretty well.

screen passes worked well in the past with willie, they should use it more.

bottom line is yes, they got to get willie more on the outside. a big difference right now between him and other succesful runningbacks is that his average is a 4.0, and that comes from the constant running him up the middle for no gain and doing it over and over. if it ain't working they gotta bounce him outside, I just wish Arians tried it....

Agreed I think we need to get willie involved more on the screen passes.

Boomerang
11-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Hopefully Arians will mix it up for Willie and give him more varied play calls when its needed,he has the talent no question.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 09:23 AM

So we agree it has more to do with the plays that are called than any perceived "lack of field vision" on Willie's part?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-26-2007, 09:48 AM
So we agree it has more to do with the plays that are called than any perceived "lack of field vision" on Willie's part?

I would say so.

Actually, it's a bit 50/50. I think Willie is trying to run the call as played (i.e. up the gut), but should use his vision more often when he sees something better open and take that. There are times he'll cut back to a bigger and better hole, but too often he is just trying to run the play as called.

They gave Ben the freedom to audible and make protection changes (which do no good because the line cannot protect), maybe they haven't quite given Willie the freedom to take a different route if he sees something better. Though I doubt the coaching staff would be upset if he took a different hole and got a big run.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I would say so.

Actually, it's a bit 50/50. I think Willie is trying to run the call as played (i.e. up the gut), but should use his vision more often when he sees something better open and take that. There are times he'll cut back to a bigger and better hole, but too often he is just trying to run the play as called.

They gave Ben the freedom to audible and make protection changes (which do no good because the line cannot protect), maybe they haven't quite given Willie the freedom to take a different route if he sees something better. Though I doubt the coaching staff would be upset if he took a different hole and got a big run.

Assuming there's another hole there to begin with. The OL hasn't exactly been blowing anybody off the LOS this year.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Assuming there's another hole there to begin with. The OL hasn't exactly been blowing anybody off the LOS this year.

Well true, our o-line does remind me of swiss cheese.

But it would be a safe bet that he's had other options (a different hole, bounce it outside, etc.) and he's just not taking them. I don't know why he wouldn't, but maybe he's just trying to run the play as called like I said before.

Michael Keller
11-26-2007, 10:13 AM
OK i agree Arians must implement the short passing game and i expect to see it tonight. Parker must be includedin this strategey, screen passes and passes out in the flat yes. Parker is not the problem in my judgement.

I honestly can not remember the last time I saw a hole opened up for Parker the width of one defensive lineman. 3 to 4 feet. This offensive line is the PROBLEM not Parker. John Riggens, Jim Brown Earl Campbell LT and certainly not Westbrook could run through this line. I just keep hoping they get better. Any strategy changes (play calling changes ) is now simply compensation for a weak offensive line.

Brady did not look so great last night when the pressure was on. Ben handles pressure far better than Brady but Brady gets more protection more often.

The OL is bad very bad.

CanadianSteel
11-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Hopefully the new sod with help Willie from stumbling all over himself when he does get a hole to run through.
Agree that Willie needs to touch the ball more is passing game.
We used to be so good at screens but this year just brutal as I can't really recall more than one successful screen pass the entire year..

Steelerstrength
11-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Expect chunks of sod to fly, along with poor footing for Willie. New sod sucks!

I also agree that Westbrook has very good vision. He really showed that last night, although not the best average per carry. It was nice to see him get to the corner without losing his footing.

Makes me imagine how many times Willie would have broken it for a long run if we had a better surface.

GeneralRobinson
11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Makes me imagine how many times Willie would have broken it for a long run if we had a better surface.

So how do you explain his performances against New Orleans and Cleveland last year on our field? He averaged over 100 yards at home last year and this year. He's first in the conference in rushing. He's had 100 yard games in 6 of his first 10 games. Teams are packing the box with 8+ defenders and there have not been any lanes to run. I'm not making excuses for him, but when you are faced with those kind of situations, sometimes you have to take what you can get. Trying to turn the corner runs you the risk of losing yards. Willie needs to improve his game and stop worrying about the field, but anyone objectively looking at his stats through the first 10 games should hopefully realize that he's done a good job so far.

Steelerstrength
11-26-2007, 03:43 PM
So how do you explain his performances against New Orleans and Cleveland last year on our field? He averaged over 100 yards at home last year and this year. He's first in the conference in rushing. He's had 100 yard games in 6 of his first 10 games. Teams are packing the box with 8+ defenders and there have not been any lanes to run. I'm not making excuses for him, but when you are faced with those kind of situations, sometimes you have to take what you can get. Trying to turn the corner runs you the risk of losing yards. Willie needs to improve his game and stop worrying about the field, but anyone objectively looking at his stats through the first 10 games should hopefully realize that he's done a good job so far.

I'm talking about how much better his numbers would be. Willie has done a great job, considering all factors. The field, our O-Line, and to some extent his progression, are objective factors that contribute to his performance and stats. I'm happy with his performance this year, and I'm definitely a FWP Fan!

FWP has the speed to turn the corner, but this years field seems to be slower. (Although he did slip a couple of times vs the Jets) Laying new sod, over the top of the old, will not help foot work, until that sod takes.

steelpride12
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Parker is still a young pup, but will earn his wings with the more expericence he gains. Westbrook is a veteran and has great visions to come with that. If you watch old videos of Brian W. he looked alot like parker running, but after about 5 years his visions greatly increased and he could find the hole or bounce to the outside easily!

jjpro11
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
field isnt the problem.. its the defenders in the backfield before he gets the handoff that are the problem.