PDA

View Full Version : REDSKINS DB SEAN TAYLOR SHOT

Sith Lord
11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
He took one in his leg, dont know anything else right now. Sorry no link, but check your news sites.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 09:30 AM
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. -- Washington Redskins and former University of Miami standout football player Sean Taylor was shot in his home early Monday morning, Local 10 has learned.

Local 10 is reporting that Miami-Dade police are investigating the shooting at the home at 18050 Old Cutler Road.

One person was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital around 2 a.m., according to police.

A family friend, who did not want to be identified, told Local 10's Rad Berky that Taylor was shot twice.

Miami-Dade police confirmed there was a shooting at about 1:30 a.m. at Taylor's home in Palmetto Bay, but would not confirm if Taylor was the person who had been shot.

Crime scene investigators were seen leaving with bags of evidence collected inside the home, Berky said.

The 212-pound Taylor played in his first Pro Bowl in 2006.

http://www.local10.com/news/14692782/detail.html

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Fox News reports that Sean Taylor is in "extremely critical condition". My thoughts and prayers are with Sean.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312902,00.html

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was shot at his Florida home Monday morning, sources tell WSVN-TV in Miami.

The Redskins free safety was in surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital where he is listed in extremely critical condition.

Click here for more from FOX Miami.

Taylor, who had on the Redskins' injured list for the second straight week due to a right knee sprain, was shot in the leg and the bullet reportedly struck the femoral artery. The incident occurred at his home in the Palmetto Bay section of Miami.

MACH1
11-26-2007, 09:37 AM
They said he was shot in the artery in his leg and lost a lot of blood (of course) in intensive care.

They also said a year or two ago he was arrested on felony gun charges too.

:edit:
HTG beat me to it.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
They also said a year or two ago he was arrested on felony gun charges too.

At the risk of sounding insensitive here, you can take the player out of "Tha U," but you can't take "Tha U" out of the player.

jjpro11
11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
yeah,, he isnt exactly a role model.. but i hope he pulls through. he's got a little kid too.

TackleMeBen
11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
At the risk of sounding insensitive here, you can take the player out of "Tha U," but you can't take "Tha U" out of the player.

that is funny.... i seen it on espn and had to rewind it to make sure i read it right. what is it about miami??? makes you think about moving there..lol..

i hope he gets well soon.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 09:49 AM
More from the Redskins BB:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223470

Elvis
11-26-2007, 09:52 AM
:hug:
Remember this young man and that he will get his life straightened out and be a good father in prayers..

CantStop85
11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Nothing good ever happens at 2:00 am.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
On June 5, Miami-Dade police issued a statement indicating that Taylor had been arrested for aggravated assault with a firearm (a felony) and battery (a misdemeanor), for allegedly pointing a gun at a person over a dispute over two ATVs that Taylor claimed were stolen. Taylor then allegedly left the scene, but returned shortly and punched one person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Taylor_%28American_football%29

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Here is another story from the Miami Herald.

While I realize that Sean Taylor has had his share of troubles in the past, right now this is a young man who is fighting for his life and I think he needs our prayers and support more than anything.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/320910.html

Sean Taylor of the Washington Redskins was shot and wounded early Monday by an intruder in his home on Old Cutler Road in Palmetto Bay.

Taylor, a former University of Miami star, was airlifted to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. He was reported to be in critical condition.

Details were sketchy about the shooting.

According to police, Miami-Dade patrol officers received a call about 1:45 a.m. Monday that a homeowner had been shot in the leg. The homeowners told police they heard intruders at the rear door of the house, trying to pry it open.

The male homeowner went to investigate and a woman in the house then heard a shot. Paramedics responded and found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin.

The shooting happened at 18050 Old Cutler Rd. County property records list it as the address for Taylor. It is a four-bath, four-bedroom house with a taxable value of $704,297.

His family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point, said Lorraine Nelson, a hospital spokeswoman.

Taylor, 24, is in his fourth season with the Redskins. He suffered a sprained right knee on Nov. 11 against the Philadelphia Eagles, an injury that had sidelined him indefinitely. The Redskins played the Buccaneers in Tampa Sunday.

In 2004, he was the fifth pick overall by the Redskins as one of their starting safeties, after a stellar career at the University of Miami. He signed a seven-year, $18 million contract. His junior year he led the Big East conference and was second in the nation in interceptions with nine.

He was an All-American, Thorpe Award finalist and Big East Defensive Player of the Year during his UM career.

Taylor is no stranger to controversy.

He was arrested in June 2005 for waving a gun at a group of people he believed had stolen his all terrain vehicle. Felony charges were dropped, but he eventually pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery.

In his 2004 rookie season for the Redskins, Taylor was arrested in Virginia on a drunk driving charge.

Even before he was drafted, he drew the rebuke of the NFL by leaving the league's mandatory rookie symposium early, and drew a $25,000 fine.

revefsreleets
11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
There will be a lot more to this story (all of it bad) forthcoming.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
There will be a lot more to this story (all of it bad) forthcoming.

Considering his past, I'm sure. It seems like he pissed off somebody. Maybe the same people he waved a gun at and assaulted?

X-Terminator
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Here is another story from the Miami Herald.

While I realize that Sean Taylor has had his share of troubles in the past, right now this is a young man who is fighting for his life and I think he needs our prayers and support more than anything.

Exactly. I'm not going to pass judgment on anything until all of the facts are known. It's just a shame that any time something like this happens to a black athlete, people always assume the worst.

revefsreleets
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking drugs and God only knows what else.

I don't want to sound cold and calculating, but these guys just NEVER learn that they need to clean up the crowd they run with.

EDIT: His skin color has absolutely nothing to do with it. His history has everything to do with it. Dude could be Asian and I'd feel exactly the same way.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 10:57 AM
The shooting happened at 18050 Old Cutler Rd. County property records list it as the address for Taylor. It is a four-bath, four-bedroom house with a taxable value of $704,297.

Can somebody help me out here - what relevance does this have to the story whatsoever? Are they trying to make a point that even upscale neighborhoods aren't immune to crime? What? I don't get the press sometimes, I really don't.

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2007, 11:01 AM
One article in this thread stated he was shot in the leg.

The other article stated he was shot in the groin.

X-Terminator
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Can somebody help me out here - what relevance does this have to the story whatsoever? Are they trying to make a point that even upscale neighborhoods aren't immune to crime? What? I don't get the press sometimes, I really don't.

It doesn't have any relevance at all, but you know the media. Irrelevant statements are what they're all about. :dang:

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Amen. I learned that from Pacman's stupidity so I figured to stay home at hours such as those. Not to mention I'd get a ticket for being out at that hour in my town.

Anyway, my condolences to the Redskins and the Taylor family at this time.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
My condolences to Sean Taylor and his family at this time. I hope he pulls through.

I am curious to a few things though:

1. Did he try to stop an armed robber while unarmed? If so, that's just stupid. I am not saying that he deserved to be shot, but that it was stupid to do so.

2. Does he flaunt the expensive stuff he has? If so, he opened himself up to be robbed. Those that show off are the ones most likley to be robbed. Once again, he didn't deserve it, but he set himself up for this to happen.

3. Could this be for something he's done in his past? He's got a bad past, maybe someone was trying to get some payback.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
LATEST FROM OTL: Taylor may have lost enough blood that his brain could shut down.

klick81
11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
LATEST FROM OTL: Taylor may have lost enough blood that his brain could shut down.

WHOA. This is serious...I'll keep all speculation to myself until he's out of danger. Let's hope he gets well.

Big D
11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
My question is why was he in miami right after a redskin game? dont you think he should have been in d.c. with his teammates?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Man. You really hate to see this kind of thing happen to anybody. Hope he is able to pull through this and avoids any brain damage.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
My question is why was he in miami right after a redskin game? dont you think he should have been in d.c. with his teammates?

He had injured a knee and was deactivated for the game - he was not in Tampa yesterday. This from The Washington Post

As is the norm, the Redskins do not require many injured players to travel with the team. Sean Taylor, recovering from a knee sprain, receiver James Thrash (ankle) and fullback Mike Sellers (back) were all left off the trip and did not make the team flight to Tampa Saturday afternoon. Again, that's normal for injured players. Those not making the trip - a group that always includes practice-squad players as well - are essentially off for the weekend, and have to report back to Redskins Park Monday for the beginning of the work week.

Now, part of the reason why those injured players are not traveling with the team is to avoid excess travel. No sense constricting legs and ankles and risking swelling to these kind of ligament strains in the air. So, ostensibly, flying would be frowned upon in this case. However, we do not know all of the details yet. According to an earlier Miami Herald report, neighbors of Taylor say there have been multiple robbery attempts on his property recently, and, just guessing here, that could have had something to do with why Sean was down in Florida.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/?hpid=topnews

This blog also said Taylor is "clinging to life" after being shot while he "reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency" :jawdrop:

Hoping for the best, but it sounds as if Taylor spent his life looking over his shoulder like Tony Soprano in the last episode of The Sopranos.

Big D
11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
He had injured a knee and was deactivated for the game - he was not in Tampa yesterday. This from The Washington Post

As is the norm, the Redskins do not require many injured players to travel with the team. Sean Taylor, recovering from a knee sprain, receiver James Thrash (ankle) and fullback Mike Sellers (back) were all left off the trip and did not make the team flight to Tampa Saturday afternoon. Again, that's normal for injured players. Those not making the trip - a group that always includes practice-squad players as well - are essentially off for the weekend, and have to report back to Redskins Park Monday for the beginning of the work week.

Now, part of the reason why those injured players are not traveling with the team is to avoid excess travel. No sense constricting legs and ankles and risking swelling to these kind of ligament strains in the air. So, ostensibly, flying would be frowned upon in this case. However, we do not know all of the details yet. According to an earlier Miami Herald report, neighbors of Taylor say there have been multiple robbery attempts on his property recently, and, just guessing here, that could have had something to do with why Sean was down in Florida.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/?hpid=topnews

This blog also said Taylor is "clinging to life" - sounds pretty grim

I do understand he was hurt. But why dont you have your players travel with you despite of the injury?

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I do understand he was hurt. But why dont you have your players travel with you despite of the injury?

As The Post's writer stated, the theory is they stay home and do not impede rehab by being constrained in an airplane and bumped around during travel.

I recall Ben stayed home to rehab from knee surgery when the Steelers traveled to Green Bay in 2005.

jjpro11
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
As The Post's writer stated, the theory is they stay home and do not impede rehab by being constrained in an airplane and bumped around during travel.

I recall Ben stayed home to rehab from knee surgery when the Steelers traveled to Green Bay in 2005.

yeah.. its pretty standard throughout the league. i dont think our players travel when hurt either.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
LATEST: NFL Live has reported that Taylor is in critical condition and that owner Daniel Snyder has landed in Miami making his way to the hospital.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 04:11 PM
I read this on the Redskins' BB - it's the only update I can find, since KDKA here in the Burgh hasn't even mentioned it in their 4:00 PM newscast.

Posted at 3:12 PM ET, 11/26/2007
Sean Taylor "Clinging To Life"
Richard Sparpstein, who has represented Sean Taylor in legal matters in the past and is a friend of the family, said moments ago that the player's life is hanging in the balance in the hospital. Sharpstein, speaking from the hospital, said Taylor is "nonresponsive and unconscious" and the doctors are "worried about a possible brain injury or death."

Sharpstein, who has been with Taylor's family at the hospital much of the day, said that there are major worries that Taylor may have lost oxygen to the brain, and that no other procedures are planned for right now. "They're waiting to see if he comes to," Sharpstein said. He was shot in the groin/thigh area near the femoral artery and lost copious amounts of blood. He was airlifted to the trauma center and endured several hours of surgery, Sharpstein said.

Taylor is in intensive care, Sharpstein said, and his girlfriend and child were not injured in the attack. Sharpstein said Taylor was sleeping when he heard a noise in the living room. The intruders were at his bedroom and Taylor reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, and two shots were fired, with one striking his leg.

"Right now he's clinging to life and we're all praying he makes it," Sharpstein said.

Posted by Jason La Canfora

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/reds...r/?hpid=topnews

The Duke
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
LATEST: NFL Live has reported that Taylor is in critical condition and that owner Daniel Snyder has landed in Miami making his way to the hospital.

critical condition! that doesn't sound good. I really hope he makes it

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Having dealt with groin injuries involving the femoral artery when I was a medic years ago, I know they are very serious and the patient loses a LOT of blood.

I'm praying for you Sean. Hang on - your little one needs his Dad.

Boomerang
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Hope he pulls through, another sad day in NFL.

Crushzilla
11-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow. My friend had mentioned this to me, but I had no idea it was so serious. My thoughts are certainly with him.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Michael Wilbon had some fairly cold comments about this in his online Chat House discussion today:

Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No...People's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

What makes you think that Taylor was still embracing his old ways? Every thing we have heard from the Redskins and Portis is that this is a new Sean. Apparently the birth of his child really helped to straighten him out. Is this contrary to what you know?

Michael Wilbon: Sorry, but I'm not in the habit of having companies with their own public relations agenda tell me about black men and what they feel or don't feel. Pardon me if I'm not that easy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/20/DI2007112000544.html?hpid=topnews

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Michael Wilbon had some fairly cold comments about this in his online Chat House discussion today:

Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No...People's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

What makes you think that Taylor was still embracing his old ways? Every thing we have heard from the Redskins and Portis is that this is a new Sean. Apparently the birth of his child really helped to straighten him out. Is this contrary to what you know?

Michael Wilbon: Sorry, but I'm not in the habit of having companies with their own public relations agenda tell me about black men and what they feel or don't feel. Pardon me if I'm not that easy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/20/DI2007112000544.html?hpid=topnews

I like Wilbon...but there is a bigger issue here. A child is about to lose her father. I don't know Taylor, but I hope he pulls through this for his child.

Big D
11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I like Wilbon...but there is a bigger issue here. A child is about to lose her father. I don't know Taylor, but I hope he pulls through this for his child.

and it's not like taylor was in on a drug deal or running a dog fighting ring. His house got robbed.If a white guy made these same comments wilbon would be the first to play the race card. Pretty unsensitive comments by wilbon.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2007, 05:03 PM
He's now non-responsive and unconscious.

Big D
11-26-2007, 05:04 PM
He's now non-responsive and unconscious.

sportscenter says doctors fear him being brain dead or possibily death

MasterOfPuppets
11-26-2007, 05:05 PM
nevermind, beat me to it.....

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
sportscenter says doctors fear him being brain dead or possibily death

Pray to go he lives.

Pittsburghfan
11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah I read he went into a coma.. Wow. I will pray.

Borski
11-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Wow I don't know how it took me this long to find out about this. I hope he makes it through this.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Doesn't sound good - for his daughter's sake, I hope he makes it. :hope:

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
A little more info on the possible whys and becauses . . .

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312902,00.html

PALMETTO BAY, Fla. ? Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition Monday after surgery for a gunshot wound to his leg during what police are investigating as a possible armed robbery at his home.

The 24-year-old player was in the intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital after several hours of surgery, said family friend Richard Sharpstein, his former lawyer. Taylor lost a "significant" amount of blood because the bullet damaged his femoral artery, Sharpstein said.

Doctors are worried the blood loss might affect blood flow to the brain, said Sharpstein, who was at the hospital with Taylor's family and friends. Taylor has had several on- and off-the-field problems ? two years ago he was accused of brandishing a gun.

Officers were sent to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. after his girlfriend called 911 and said he was shot in his lower body, Lt. Nancy Perez said. Taylor had missed the last two games because of a knee injury and was at home recuperating. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital.

Click here for more from MyFOXDC.com.

RelatedVideo
NFL Shooting Investigators were still interviewing the girlfriend and other relatives who were in the home to try to determine what happened, Perez said. No arrests have been made.

"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, the lawyer said.

"It was clearly a burglary, an armed burglary," Sharpstein said, adding nothing appeared to have been stolen.

The shooting happened at a home Taylor bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. The player is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. Despite his injury, he is tied for the NFC lead with five interceptions.

In Ashburn, Va., Redskins owner Dan Snyder said he was headed to Miami on his private plane, joined by running back Clinton Portis, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and trainer Bubba Tyer.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to Sean and his family. ... We appreciate very, very much the outcry of support," Snyder said.

Redskins safety Pierson Prioleau fought to keep his composure.

"This is not just a member of the Washington Redskins," said Prioleau, one of a few players made available to reporters. "But we're talking about a dad, a brother, a friend of ours, and that's where we're at with this right now."

Coach Joe Gibbs was joined by the team chaplain at the Redskins' usual Monday meeting. A small group of players held a separate prayer gathering.

The Redskins (5-6) lost 19-13 at Tampa on Sunday. Taylor did not travel with the team to the game because of his injury. Taylor sprained a ligament in his right knee in the second half of the Nov. 11 loss to Philadelphia. He was expected to miss at least two games.

Known as one of the NFL's hardest hitters, Taylor played in his first Pro Bowl last season, where he drew attention by leveling the other team's punter in what is usually a well-mannered exhibition game. Even though he has missed two games, his five interceptions remained tied for most in the NFC.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow to let anyone in his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

lilyoder6
11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
i heard he got shot in the thigh (thats what they just said on sports center) and today during school on the project screen they said he was shot in the lower extremities) ... so the brain damage is new to me...

Big D
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM
i heard he got shot in the thigh (thats what they just said on sports center) and today during school on the project screen they said he was shot in the lower extremities) ... so the brain damage is new to me...

it's the amount of blood he lost according to the reports I heard

lilyoder6
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
i would think that he shouldn't have lost that much blood since the girl called seconds after the shot.. depending on how long it took them.. 5-10 mins... i think they probably could of stopped most blood by applying pressure.. unless it hit the main artery, which then he would have bleeded to death

lilyoder6
11-26-2007, 05:39 PM
but i just hope he pulls thru..

Big D
11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
i would think that he shouldn't have lost that much blood since the girl called seconds after the shot.. depending on how long it took them.. 5-10 mins... i think they probably could of stopped most blood by applying pressure.. unless it hit the main artery, which then he would have bleeded to death

it did hit a main artery

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
i think they probably could of stopped most blood by applying pressure.. unless it hit the main artery, which then he would have bleeded to death

It has been reported that he was shot in the femoral artery, which is a very large artery in the groin. A person sustaining an injury to the fem artery can bleed to death in a short period of time if the bleeding cannot be controlled and/or stopped.

lilyoder6
11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
oh... well hope the doctors do very good

steelpride12
11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
he prob. deserved it with his past problems, but hope he pulls through love the guy good luck!

MasterOfPuppets
11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," 6 one way, half a dozen the other......

"It was clearly a burglary, an armed burglary," Sharpstein said, adding nothing appeared to have been stolen.how was it clearly a burglary, when nothing was stolen?

Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots so someone breaks in, steals nothing, shoots only taylor, then leaves....sounds more like a hit to me....:coffee:

GBMelBlount
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
What a tradgedy. I hope and pray he pulls through without permanent damage. This is why I count my blessings each and every day.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
and it's not like taylor was in on a drug deal or running a dog fighting ring. His house got robbed.If a white guy made these same comments wilbon would be the first to play the race card. Pretty unsensitive comments by wilbon.

What's your basis for saying Wilbon would play the race card?

It is a tragedy for Taylor's family, but if you sleep with a machete next to your bed for "emergencies" you are living your life in a bad space.

IMO Wilbon is not Bill Rhoden of The NY Times or Stephen Smith on ESPN.

Big D
11-26-2007, 06:13 PM
What's your basis for saying Wilbon would play the race card?

It is a tragedy for Taylor's family, but if you sleep with a machete next to your bed for "emergencies" you are living your life in a bad space.

IMO Wilbon is not Bill Rhoden of The NY Times or Stephen Smith on ESPN.

do you ever watch pti? i've seen wilbon use the race card a handful of times. And nobody plays the race card more then screamin a smith. He said on the radio last week that barry bonds being indited was race related

Hines0wnz
11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
he prob. deserved it with his past problems, but hope he pulls through love the guy good luck!

Eh....... :dang:

Big D
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
mort says doctors are optimistic about sean taylor

Borski
11-26-2007, 07:02 PM
mort says doctors are optimistic about sean taylor

thats a good sign since doctors don't usually show optimism unless they are very confident.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 07:33 PM

:mallet::buttkick::mallet:

I'm sure your kind of "love" he doesn't need.

Big D
11-26-2007, 07:36 PM
:mallet::buttkick::mallet:

I'm sure your kind of "love" he doesn't need.

gotta agree. We should show him the same kind of compassion we would show one of our own

Pittsburghfan
11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I hope I am not to late to report that Sean Taylor has woken up from the coma.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
I hope I am not to late to report that Sean Taylor has woken up from the coma.

That is AWESOME news! Thanks Pittfan! :cheers:

GBMelBlount
11-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Amazing. Let's hope he's OK.

Pittsburghfan
11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Taylor recently awoke in a Miami hospital and gripped a doctor's hand when asked, a source said. Medical officials were uncertain whether Taylor would initially survive after suffering major blood loss when shot early this morning in his South Florida home.
"Sean was not responding well to blood transfusions and things were going in the wrong direction when totally out of the blue he woke up," the source said. "Anything can happen at any time, but the phrase now being throw around is cautious optimism. Before the guy was slowly passing away. Now, he's slowly getting stronger

-FOx sports.

Steeler in Carolina
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
This is really sad news. Glad to hear he is doing better.

lilyoder6
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
i think that him being in grea shape is probably helping him alot right now...

GBMelBlount
11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Yep. You can only wish for the best for Taylor.

Preacher
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I hope and pray he is ok.

I got a sneaky feeling...

but on the day its happened... it is not time for that.

May God bless him and keep him safe.

Big D
11-27-2007, 05:13 AM
sean taylor has passed away

steelcity58
11-27-2007, 05:59 AM
Exactly, and now that he has died, it just serves as a wake up call to the rest of the "gangstas" in the league.

I wish nothing bad on the guy, and pray for his soul, but...

Tragic.

Pittsburghfan
11-27-2007, 06:00 AM
R.I.P Sean Taylor

SteelCityMan786
11-27-2007, 06:02 AM
RIP Sean, you were one hell of a football player.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 07:05 AM
RIP Sean Taylor, and condolences to his family.

It's a damn shame, and something that's starting to happen a bit too frequently.

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 08:50 AM
i dont think this was some random incident. they said that the phones lines to the house were cut.. sounds to me like who ever did this had it planned out. now we can hope they catch who did it and justice will be served.

klick81
11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I wish nothing bad on the guy, and pray for his soul, but...

Tragic.

?!?!

The man was in his home. Sure, we may not have all the info, but please. The man just died.

Hines0wnz
11-27-2007, 10:17 AM

I hope you feel like ish now.

Atlanta Dan
11-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Sounds like Sean Taylor may have wanted to turn the corner and leave his old life behind but some old acquaintances had other ideas:

Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle told The Associated Press that Taylor was "pretty much scared every day of his life" because former friends wanted to do Taylor harm.

"They've been targeting him for three years now," Rolle told The AP....

Rolle, who played sandlot football with Taylor and was later his teammate at the University of Miami, said old acquaintances didn't like the fact that Taylor was focusing his life on his young daughter and trying to break with his past.

"There were many people targeting Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people," AP quoted Rolle as saying. "Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/taylor/index.html

Just a terribly sad story - if the Miami cops are willing to just write this off as "random" violence without further investigation they must also believe in the Easter Bunny.

lilyoder6
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
i heard that from rolle.. and i hope they don't write it off as a "random violence" if the whole u.s knew who he was and the intruder put a knife on his pillow how is it random... dumb f ppl..

83-Steelers-43
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
3 detained in Sean Taylor homicide
Posted on Fri, Nov. 30, 2007
Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY MANNY GARCIA AND DAVID OVALLE
dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

Miami-Dade detectives have detained at least three people in Lee County for questioning in the death of Washington Redskins football star Sean Taylor.

Investigators believe the young men learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about the football star's wealth.

The suspects include a teenager and two men in their 20s who hail from the Fort Myers area.

The former University of Miami star was not supposed to be home. While the Redskins played in Tampa, he had come home to get a second medical opinion on his injured knee.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement agents and Miami-Dade homicide detectives picked up the young men Friday morning.

Taylor was shot early Monday by an intruder who surprised him in the bedroom of his Palmetto Bay home. He wielded a machete as he tried to protect his fiancee, Jackie Garcia, and their 18-month-old baby girl. The two were hiding under the covers as Taylor was shot. One bullet pierced the wall. The other struck Taylor in the groin, severing his femoral artery and causing massive blood loss. He died later at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

http://www.miamiherald.com/854/story/326903.html

alittlejazzbird
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Hopefully with news of this latest development, the pieces of what happened can be put together for the sake of Sean Taylor's loved ones.

However, something is still nagging at me:

Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

This guy was a highly paid first round draft pick. Why on earth, if he was so afraid to be in Miami, did he not get his girlfriend and child out of there permanently? He was a target for three years and he still stayed, knowing he was a target and that serious harm could befall his family. Assuming what Rolle says is true, that just doesn't make sense.

Atlanta Dan
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I know punks who commit burglaries for a living are not real big on rational thought, but given the enhanced sentences for doing a burglary with a firearm why you would go to the bedroom & fire away once you heard someone was home rather than bolt still about the "random" crime theory still nags at me.

Unless the story about a prior burglary with aknife left on Taylor's bed is bogus, something still does not ads up.

Big D
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Hopefully with news of this latest development, the pieces of what happened can be put together for the sake of Sean Taylor's loved ones.

However, something is still nagging at me:

This guy was a highly paid first round draft pick. Why on earth, if he was so afraid to be in Miami, did he not get his girlfriend and child out of there permanently? He was a target for three years and he still stayed, knowing he was a target and that serious harm could befall his family. Assuming what Rolle says is true, that just doesn't make sense.
because some nfl players just dont get it. Look at what not letting go has costed michael vick and pacman. At the rookie camps I would use taylor,vick and jones as the posterchilds of what not to be

HometownGal
11-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I know punks who commit burglaries for a living are not real big on rational thought, but given the enhanced sentences for doing a burglary with a firearm why you would go to the bedroom & fire away once you heard someone was home rather than bolt still about the "random" crime theory still nags at me.

Unless the story about a prior burglary with aknife left on Taylor's bed is bogus, something still does not ads up.

I, too, believe there is more to this tragic story than meets the eye. Most burglars, upon hearing the slighest sound indicating that someone was in the property, would high tail it and run. As sad as it is to say, much less even think - this tragedy sounds like a hit to me.

Preacher
11-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I, too, believe there is more to this tragic story than meets the eye. Most burglars, upon hearing the slighest sound indicating that someone was in the property, would high tail it and run. As sad as it is to say, much less even think - this tragedy sounds like a hit to me.

Yep.. or something to that effect.

Maybe a warning gone wrong. Usually when you shoot a gun, you aim center mass if your trying to kill someone. Now, I have had friends that were gang-bangers tell me that the ability of a banger to aim a gun is HORRIBLE, so it IS possible for the guy to have been aiming center mass, and missed, especially if he is laying down.

But it feels more like a shot in the leg as a warning of some kind... and tragically, the artery was hit.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Yep.. or something to that effect.

Maybe a warning gone wrong. Usually when you shoot a gun, you aim center mass if your trying to kill someone. Now, I have had friends that were gang-bangers tell me that the ability of a banger to aim a gun is HORRIBLE, so it IS possible for the guy to have been aiming center mass, and missed, especially if he is laying down.

But it feels more like a shot in the leg as a warning of some kind... and tragically, the artery was hit.

Sound theory. To take the circumstances in a tangent why would you have a "machete" when he knows the boyz come in loaded.

And if his previous felony disallowed him from owning a firearm...dark irony.

verks36
11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
MIAMI -- The Miami-Dade Police Department has arrested four people in connection with the fatal shooting of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

Miami-Dade police department spokeswoman Linda O'Brien identified the men as: Venjah K. Hunte, 20; Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Jason Scott Mitchell, 17; and Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 18.

Taylor died Tuesday, one day after being shot at his home in an affluent Miami suburb during what officials said appeared to be an attempted burglary.

"They were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone," Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said. He said authorities had more than one confession but would not elaborate.

I am sure this is only the tip of the ice burgh

tony hipchest
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
mods...

clean up in aisle 3, please. clean up in aisle 3. :chuckle:

(good info verks)

HometownGal
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
If anyone is watching their television, Sean Taylor's funeral service is broadcasting live on the NFL Network. Very sad.

rbryan
12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Does anyone else think its ironic that during the entire past weekend the trailer for the upcoming movie "Hitman" was run about a million times during the games ???

On one hand everyone is up in arms (and rightly so) about this tragedy, yet our society glamourizes a hitman in the movies?? Little wonder things like this happen. Sad commentary on the state of the union.

Hines0wnz
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Does anyone else think its ironic that during the entire past weekend the trailer for the upcoming movie "Hitman" was run about a million times during the games ???

On one hand everyone is up in arms (and rightly so) about this tragedy, yet our society glamourizes a hitman in the movies?? Little wonder things like this happen. Sad commentary on the state of the union.

You are comparing a fictitious movie adapted from a video game to a botched burglary turned homicide by some teenagers? Please dont tell me you read the DailyKOS. :dang:

rbryan
12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not comparing anything, just making an observation. I don't think glorifying a hitman in the movies is a positive thing.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
If anyone is watching their television, Sean Taylor's funeral service is broadcasting live on the NFL Network. Very sad.

I wish I was able to see it. Unfortunately, I had to due some time in the office.