PDA

View Full Version : O-Line miscommunication

fdp
11-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I was watching ESPN and in one of the updates they said that when talking about the O-line's performance in the Meadowlands, Faneca said that the problem was miscommunication, that they were confused by the Jets formations, and it was not something they could talk about during the game. But he says not too worry they have talked about it a lot in the past week and we should see a better performance from the O-line tonight.

Thoughts?

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
OK, fair enough on the Jets game. What about the other nine games in which Ben was running for his life, and Willie was getting next to no room to run? I could buy it if it was a one-game occurrence, but bad O-line play has been a constant the entire season.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I was watching ESPN and in one of the updates they said that when talking about the O-line's performance in the Meadowlands, Faneca said that the problem was miscommunication, that they were confused by the Jets formations, and it was not something they could talk about during the game. But he says not too worry they have talked about it a lot in the past week and we should see a better performance from the O-line tonight.

Thoughts?

As long as the Dolphins run the same formations the Jets ran last week in the same down and distance situations then I guess everything will be fine.:smile:

Faneca appaently claiming the coaches could not figure out what to do until studying video after the game is not exactly a strong statement of support for the gameday abilities of the coaches to make offensive adjustments - of course Faneca lived that situation under Cowher in big games constantly.

fdp
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
OK, fair enough on the Jets game. What about the other nine games in which Ben was running for his life, and Willie was getting next to no room to run?

My thoughts exactly, I would really like to believe that the O-line will be better starting tonight, however I find that very hard to do

ExtonSteelFan
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
The o-line has had it's fair share of breakdowns but I've also noticed Ben hold on to the ball way longer than what we should. It's really a combination of things I think.

On a side note, I think some people on this message board are too quick to point out negative comments from the press clippings of the players. I know it's hard to imagine, but players aren't always throwing the coaching staff under the bus every single time there's a bad game. Sometimes, they just call it how it is....in this case they were confused...the players that is...

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
On a side note, I think some people on this message board are too quick to point out negative comments from the press clippings of the players. I know it's hard to imagine, but players aren't always throwing the coaching staff under the bus every single time there's a bad game. Sometimes, they just call it how it is....in this case they were confused...the players that is...

Point taken, but when the statement comes from a disgruntled, soon-to-be FA guard that will be looking for probably his last big-money contract during the upcoming offseason, I tend to be a bit dubious about the placement of blame.

MasterOfPuppets
11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
so why is it, the steelers oline is the only one the jets could confuse ? i call...BULLSHIT !!!

steelpride12
11-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I believe Faneca is correct, but he should have said all year long it has been miscommunication not just against the Jets.
Also Faneca stated Ben will stay upright tonight and they have made adjustments man if the o-line looks good tonight ill cry in happiness!

Go Steelers!

revefsreleets
11-26-2007, 05:45 PM
There's just something not right. There has been a change in the blocking scheme, and it's not working. I mean, we have a new HC, a new OC with a new offense and a new line coach. Doesn't it stand to reason that we've changed our scheme and these guys just aren't getting it? I can see a little drop-off here and there, but this oline looks like one of the worst in the league, and I don't believe they actually are talent-wise.

slippy
11-26-2007, 05:45 PM
IMO "confusion" is a nice way out of saying "we got physically dominated by a small, bad team".

it was an off day, time to move on.

steelcity58
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
OK, fair enough on the Jets game. What about the other nine games in which Ben was running for his life, and Willie was getting next to no room to run? I could buy it if it was a one-game occurrence, but bad O-line play has been a constant the entire season.

I agree.

Also, despite popular misconception everywhere, here, ESPN, and every stupid analyst in the world it seems.

Ben is not a guy who "plays best" or "likes to be out of the pocket".

I have seen Ben stand in the pocket, make all his reads, and deliver missiles and frozen ropes right to his receivers or backs.

It's just that over his career, he has not had the kind of protection that say Brady has.

He's had to make make plays, more often than not because he's been forced to.

Does his completion percentage go up when he's outside the pocket?

Of course it does. But so do his attemptS at.

This is all a big credit to Ben's talent to stay cool...not his choice.

People miss the point on this.

In closing..the damn O-Line better open some damn large holes and give Ben light years of time tonight. IT'S THEIR JOB!!!!!!

I'm getting psyched up for this game already and it's only 5:43pm here in Texas.

Besides the game I flew to Pittsburgh to see earlier this year,...
(They beat the crap out of the crybaby Seahawks and Mike Homo-gren...21-0)
...this will be just the 2nd or 3rd Steeler game I have been able to see this year.

Sucks sometimes being a Steeler fanatic way down here.

GO BIG BEN...GO FAST WILLIE...GO TROY..AND HEY HINES...LET'S GET OPEN HUH!