PDA

View Full Version : What a Disgrace

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 10:44 PM
On many...many levels.

Mike Tomlin's game time decisions are a Disgrace. To attempt a 44 yard field goal in those conditions outdid any dumb call that Cowher did in his 15 years as coach.

We clearly have the dumbest coaching staff in the entire division. Billick is a close second.

The field was a Disgrace. Any free agent watching that game must have called his agent and said "There is no way in "you know where" that I will ever play in Pittsburgh...other than as a visitor.

Our short yardage game is a Disgrace.

How many people having bad seasons (Porter), end up having their best game of the year against the Steelers.

Our defense is not that great. I'm worried what Palmer is going to do to our defense next week.

OX1947
11-26-2007, 10:46 PM
I couldnt believe that call either. I was so pissed I couldnt even think.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 10:47 PM
We won, that's all that matters. The field - THAT was a disgrace.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 10:48 PM
The field was a Disgrace

This is the only statement in your entire post that makes any sense. Sorry BF. :coffee:

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 10:49 PM
This is the only statement in your entire post that makes any sense. Sorry BF. :coffee:

Couldn't agree more.

MACH1
11-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I'll take a W anyway we can get em.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM

So...you agreed with the 44 yard field goal attempt...seriously?

Am I and OX1947 the only one's that thought that was incredibly stupid.

Do you really think our short yardage game is effective?

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Wow. You guys watched a different game than I did.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow. You guys watched a different game than I did.

What the hell did you expect on that slop? A 60-0 rout?

Michael Keller
11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Please save your post and I challange you to repeat your opinion after every remaining game. It was the worst field I have ever seen and any evaluation of players or coaches has no relevance. Just be glad this mess of a game is over and we won.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 10:53 PM
What the hell did you expect on that slop? A 60-0 rout?

Better than 3-0, but that's not it.

What upsets me more is the lack of execution on short yardage situations.

Also, Tomlin along with the 44 yard attempt decision, his red flag throwing in obvious situations is bad as well.

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 10:54 PM
So...you agreed with the 44 yard field goal attempt...seriously?

Am I and OX1947 the only one's that thought that was incredibly stupid.

Do you really think our short yardage game is effective?

Since I am not qualified to be the HC of the Steelers, I am not going to question Tomlin's calls or his confidence in Jeff Reed.

Thus far - yes - you and OX appear to be the only boo birds.....ummm, I mean fans who thought that was "incredibly stupid". :wink02::flap:

In all the years I have watched football, I don't think I've ever seen a field in such treacherous condition and under those circumstances, I can't make an honest reply to your last question.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Please save your post and I challange you to repeat your opinion after every remaining game. It was the worst field I have ever seen and any evaluation of players or coaches has no relevance. Just be glad this mess of a game is over and we won.

I could have repeated most of this post after 4 different games this year...including this game.

I can't believe that some of you are happy with this win. Even Savran on the radio has mentioned that they should have done much better.

stillers4ever
11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
You know what was a disgrace. 2 holding penalties on heath miller. You take those two away i would bet good money that we turn those into touchdowns.

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I could have repeated most of this post after 4 different games this year...including this game.

I can't believe that some of you are happy with this win. Even Savran on the radio has mentioned that they should have done much better.

OK - you want to be miserable after a win in horrible conditions, be my guest. I'm happy we still have a lead in the division.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Wow I thought one of the purposes of message boards was to discuss and to debate? I guess you have to never question anything about the Steelers coaching or the players around these parts?......lol

I thought the play calling was a disgrace...lol But all I hear is the conditions the conditions.....I'm sorry we had chances to put that game away if the play calling wasn't so predictable....run, run and pass again tonight for the most part...Of course the response will be the conditions......Ben was still very efficient throwing short passes in those same conditions....I'm glad we won but really it shouldn't have been 3-0......I'm always looking to see how you can improve....But I'm guess you have to think everything is lollipops and rainbows around these parts...lol

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 11:00 PM
OK - you want to be miserable after a win in horrible conditions, be my guest. I'm happy we still have a lead in the division.

I never said I was unhappy that we won. I'm happy that we are 8-3, just like many of you.

I think we have a lot of holes on our team right now. Sure, the weather didn't help, but some of these holes were just repeats from earlier games.

fansince'76
Wow I thought one of the purposes of message boards was to discuss and to debate? I guess you have to never question anything about the Steelers coaching or the players around these parts?......lol

I thought the play calling was a disgrace...lol But all I hear is the conditions the conditions.....I'm sorry we had chances to put that game away if the play calling wasn't so predictable....run, run and pass again tonight for the most part...Of course the response will be the conditions......Ben was still very efficient throwing short passes in those same conditions....I'm glad we won but really it shouldn't have been 3-0......I'm always looking to see how you can improve....But I'm guess you have to think everything is lollipops and rainbows around these parts...lol

Calling our coaching staff the dumbest in the NFL? OK, whatever floats your boat. lol

Edman
We must blow out every team by 30-40 points, or else we suck. Would you have rather preferred the Steelers to lose pretty than win ugly? We're all well aware this team has weaknesses, and I'm sure Steeler fans will talk about them tomorrow.

Here's a little tidbit for you...

In 1999, the Jacksonville Jaguars(Finished 14-2 and pretty much the most dangerous team that year), squeaked out a win over the Baltimore Ravens to the tune of 6-3. Nobody gets style points for wins.

8-3. PERIOD.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Finally...thank you.

BlastFurnace
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
We must blow out every team by 30-40 points, or else we suck. Would you have rather preferred the Steelers to lose pretty than win ugly?

Here's a little tidbit for you...

In 1999, the Jacksonville Jaguars(Finished 14-2 and pretty much the most dangerous team that year), squeaked out a win over the Baltimore Ravens to the tune of 6-3. Nobody gets style points for wins.

8-3. PERIOD.

Ok...you think I am overreacting, but so are some of you. I never said we should have won that game by 30 pts.

My points are the simple execution of short yardage plays, very questionable coaching calls, no push from the OL (it hasn't been just this game), etc.

I know the field was bad, but this has been the pattern this season.

X-Terminator
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Unbelievable.

After all of the doom and gloom that was on this board over the past week about how if we lose the game, we're done, that the Fins may very well beat us, about Cleveland running the table, worst case scenarios about wild cards, yadda yadda yadda...you mean to tell me that some of you aren't happy that we won an important game and maintained our 2-game lead over Cleveland?

I must be in Bizarro World or something...

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Calling our coaching staff the dumbest in the NFL? OK, whatever floats your boat. lol

The coaching staff isn't the dumbest.....Its just Bruce Arians that needs to go....sorry I havn't been happy with the play-calling......If you think we stand any chance in the play-offs with run, run and pass then you're going to let down...lol

Infamix
11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Seriously, this game cannot be used to judge our team. No team would ever be able to properly perform on this "field" we had

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
The coaching staff isn't the dumbest.....Its just Bruce Arians that needs to go....sorry I havn't been happy with the play-calling......If you think we stand any chance in the play-offs with run, run and pass then you're going to let down...lol

We're not going to sniff the SB with that OL - it doesn't matter if we had Bill Walsh in there as OC. I have no illusions about that. My expectations this year was a return to the playoffs after last year's train wreck - no more, no less.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I still love how nobody doesn't have any response to my Ben was still efficient throwing short passes in those terrible conditions tonight.....Steelers left two TDs out there tonight.......Game should have been over way before the late field goal with 17 seconds tonight......

HometownGal
11-26-2007, 11:09 PM

Once again, Ben changed the plays at the line at least a half dozen times tonight and I'm not faulting him for that - he obviously felt he saw something that would work better than the original call. I'm not going to get on Arians in his first year as OC, just as I won't throw Tomlin under the bus for making rookie HC mistakes, especially not after tonight's game in the Soppy Sod Bowl.

X-Terminator
11-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I still love how nobody doesn't have any response to my Ben was still efficient throwing short passes in those terrible conditions tonight.....Steelers left two TDs out there tonight.......Game should have been over way before the late field goal with 17 seconds tonight......

Well, here's one...

I agree.

And that's all I'll say about that.

Back to enjoying the win...

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:10 PM
We're not going to sniff the SB with that OL - it doesn't matter if we had Bill Walsh in there as OC. I have no illusions about that. My expectations this year was a return to the playoffs after last year's train wreck - no more, no less.

I understand the Oline blows big time and I agree its going to hard to reach the Super Bowl with that mess up front...But you still don't help them with run, run and pass....lol When you set up 3rd down and especially 3rd and long...Then defenses can tee off on you..........Thats all I'm saying....

AvoidLLoyd95
11-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Stop the hating, they WON!!!!! Worry about the Bengals tomorrow......

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Once again, Ben changed the plays at the line at least a half dozen times tonight and I'm not faulting him for that - he obviously felt he saw something that would work better than the original call. I'm not going to get on Arians in his first year as OC, just as I won't throw Tomlin under the bus for making rookie HC mistakes, especially not after tonight's game in the Soppy Sod Bowl.

When did I ever mention Tomlin in anything tonight?.....so I'm far from throwing Tomlin under the bus...lol

As for Bruce Arians......He is the OC and is responsible for the play-calling period.....You act like Ben has the free reign Peyton enjoys in Indy were Peyton calls audibles constantly...lol I know Ben has more say in this offense but please don't suggest he is constantly audibling to run plays...lol Especially when teams constantly stack the box to stop the run...lol

steel#1
11-26-2007, 11:20 PM
First off, I'm just going to enjoy that we won in the most deplorable conditions around. The field was horrendous and the rain was torrential for a large part of the game--I'm extatic that we got out of that game with no injuries and a win! For the first time probably all year, I have to agree with the holier than thou, I'm better than everyone out there playing, Steve Young. He put it well when he said that you can't evaluate a team under those conditions. That said, they have to clean up the costly penalties that have recently started plaguing us. We went and closed down good drives with holding penalties--They do have to stop. Thank God for the win, hope for continued improvement up to and through the playoffs, and Go Steelers!

stillers4me
11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
That field.........all I can say is thank the football gods we were playing a crappy (but desperate) team. I kept think through the whole game.....what a disgrace, what if this was a playoff game??????? What if , God forbid, our QB and the future of our team wrenches out his knee in this mess????????

I'm grateful for the win.........but something needs to be done about that field.

jjpro11
11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
we had a few big plays that put us in great field position.. but they got called back from stupid penalties. davenport held a friggin DB on a blitz. c'mon.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I only saw the last 5 minutes of the game, I was at work for the rest of it.

That field was aweful. Hopefully the NFL will step in and force the Steelers to install field turf. This game was not competitive at all.

We couldn't use Parker's speed. If Holmes was in, we couldn't have used his speed.

The middle school I went to, their football field was never that bad, and it was on a damn hill! I have never seen any football field that bad.

Atrocious, and I probally spelled it wrong.

jjpro11
11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
The field sucked, btu as far as the injury thing gos the sloppier the better. It is usually when your foot sticks that you tear something. That has been part of the Rooneys arguement all a long, to keep the grass.

I woudl liek to see us switch to fieldturf or somethng fake that is advanced enough to let it play like grass.

when was the last time a steeler tore a knee up on our field? i remember ty law getting hurt in 2004 as a patriot, but cant recall a steeler in recent memory.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Ok I understand the condition were bad...No doubt.....and if Ben would have a had struggled completing anything out there tonight then I would totally understand...But he had an efficient day in that mess......I just saw some points left out there tonight thats all...God I won't question anything anymore....I think some of you need to get a grip......I like to critic things.....If the mods don't like that around here then you might as well ban me...lol

gobig99
11-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Need I say more? And it isn't just tonight because of the field conditions. It is always like that with Arians.
They are so predictable and SO CONSERVATIVE.

And also, why are we always running long routes. Never any slants or anything. Ben is obvisouly holding onto the ball to long and if we would run some shotter routes it would help that out for him.
Its either everyone goes long or everyone goes short, and that causes no space.

Lets see some play action and some 5-7yd past out in the flat to Heath, or short slants to Hines and Holmes and let them break it with speed after the catch.

Am I the only one seeing this?

fansince'76
11-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Need I say more? And it isn't just tonight because of the field conditions. It is always like that with Arians.

Like the Ravens game? :rolleyes:

SteelersFever
11-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok I understand the condition were bad...No doubt.....and if Ben would have a had struggled completing anything out there tonight then I would totally understand...But he had an efficient day in that mess......I just saw some points left out there tonight thats all...God I won't question anything anymore....I think some of you need to get a grip......I like to critic things.....If the mods don't like that around here then you might as well ban me...lol

You're free to debate and critique all you want. It just so happens that the members who didn't agree with you were Mods. :sofunny:

X-Terminator
11-26-2007, 11:52 PM

Dude, there's nothing wrong with critiquing anything, and that isn't being discouraged around here. I don't know where that mentality comes from that if the majority of the people just want to enjoy the win rather than go immediately into the negatives, it somehow means criticism isn't welcome. It doesn't mean that, and it has never meant that. All we have been saying is that we all should be happy that we won the game, and that is most important right now given what was at stake coming into tonight.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Like the Ravens game? :rolleyes:

Come on....Bad example.....The Ravens game the offense was set up with great field position all night thanks to the defense/special teams forcing fumbles all night...I give credit to the offense for scoring TDs with the great field position instead of settling for field goals...But that game wasn't hard to play call at all....lol

The Denver, Jets and tonight the play calling was just terrible......Even early in the year when the Steelers were winning big the play-calling was spotty at best...BA doesn't have a clue at times and its no wonder he was fired as the Browns OC.....lol

Petesburgh66
11-26-2007, 11:54 PM

Agreed.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Dude, there's nothing wrong with critiquing anything, and that isn't being discouraged around here. I don't know where that mentality comes from that if the majority of the people just want to enjoy the win rather than go immediately into the negatives, it somehow means criticism isn't welcome. It doesn't mean that, and it has never meant that. All we have been saying is that we all should be happy that we won the game, and that is most important right now given what was at stake coming into tonight.

You have to understand I do enjoy every win.....But I still like to discuss the game right after the game win or lose.....Its just me.....Plus I'm just really frustrated we couldn't put the Dolphins away until 17 seconds left...Doesn't mean I'm not happy but I'm almost feel that we lost...lol I have much emotion built up watching a game....Talking about it and posting about it lets it all out....lol

fansince'76
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
The Denver, Jets and tonight the play calling was just terrible......Even early in the year when the Steelers were winning big the play-calling was spotty at best...BA doesn't have a clue at times and its no wonder he was fired as the Browns OC.....lol

And the half-assed efforts by the team as a whole in those games had nothing to do with those losses? I was ashamed of our D after that Jets game - I haven't seen tackling that piss poor since Timmah Lewis was the DC.

SalukiSteelers
11-27-2007, 12:07 AM
By the sound of things, I'm glad I missed this one. Three total points in 59:43 of game time? Wow. Always OK with a win, but I wish a safety would have been the margin. At least that probably ties an NFL record for lowest combined score.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-27-2007, 12:08 AM
And the half-assed efforts by the team as a whole in those games had nothing to do with those losses? I was ashamed of our D after that Jets game - I haven't seen tackling that piss poor since Timmah Lewis was the DC.

I totally agree half-assed efforts by the team are to blame as well for those losses.....The tackling by the defense was terrible vs the Jets no doubt....

But I have asked in recent weeks...When your team struggles to protect the QB......Having predictable play calling like run, run and pass does nothing to help the Olines struggles in pass protection....especially on 3rd and long when a defense can just pin its ears back and rush the QB.....Arians is a dolt....

Maybe throwing the ball on first down or even going to the no -huddle might throw a defense off....At this point what to we have to lose....especially with the mess up front we call an offensive line......Good coaches adjust all the time and it seems Arians doesn't at all and is way to predictable....Thats my beef......

Crushzilla
11-27-2007, 12:21 AM
The offense could certainly be more efficient, like the Patriots, but that is the luxury of having a solid defense. While I hate the third down shovel pass as much as anyone else, its a tribute to how good our defense is. The coaching staff trusts them.

To answer your beef about the playcalling tonight, it was a NECESSITY considering the field. I know you don't like to hear that, but the Tuna said it best before the game, in a game where the field is THIS bad, its about field position. Chip away, punt the ball, three and out, get that ball a little closer.

The offense did JUST enough to win tonight. Ben WAS very accurate despite the rain, but the conservative play calling was with intentions to chip away at the field.

It would have worked earlier and more often had it not been for dumb holding calls. That's the way I saw it.

As far as the 44 yard field goal is concerned, obviously it was possible to kick in that muck, Reed got all of the game winning field goal, it just didn't pan out on the 44 yard attempt, but it was getting late and obviously, with the way the game was going, a field goal was enough.

Tomlin wanted to put us ahead, and maybe put it away, there. Hardly conservative.

tony hipchest
11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
The coaching staff isn't the dumbest.....Its just Bruce Arians that needs to go....sorry I havn't been happy with the play-calling......If you think we stand any chance in the play-offs with run, run and pass then you're going to let down...lolthen again, i heard the same thing about wisenhunt in 05. but that was before he went on to win a sb (as all opponents prepared for run-run-pass) and get a head coaching job in the league.

arians put the game in bens hands in the crappiest conditions. i thought that took balls, even if it was against the flotsam and jetsam of the nfl.

i had high hopes for this game but it was obvious, nothing big was gonna happen. atleast this game doesnt have a tuck rule asterisk by it.

i'll take the 'w' just like the patriots will take their 3 point win against the eagles.

SteelersFever
11-27-2007, 12:30 AM
then again, i heard the same thing about wisenhunt in 05. but that was before he went on to win a sb (as all opponents prepared for run-run-pass) and get a head coaching job in the league.

arians put the game in bens hands in the crappiest conditions. i thought that took balls, even if it was against the flotsam and jetsam of the nfl.

i had high hopes for this game but it was obvious, nothing big was gonna happen. atleast this game doesnt have a tuck rule asterisk by it.

i'll take the 'w' just like the patriots will take their 3 point win against the eagles.

Who are these Patriots you speak of? :toofunny::sofunny:

fansince'76
11-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Mike Tomlin's game time decisions are a Disgrace. To attempt a 44 yard field goal in those conditions outdid any dumb call that Cowher did in his 15 years as coach.

Worse than the onside kick in Indy in '05 which failed miserably and gave the Colts the ball on our 40, nailing the coffin shut for us? I beg to differ.

jjpro11
11-27-2007, 12:57 AM
By the sound of things, I'm glad I missed this one. Three total points in 59:43 of game time? Wow. Always OK with a win, but I wish a safety would have been the margin. At least that probably ties an NFL record for lowest combined score.

i was rooting for a snap over the punter's head on that last punt. that would have been a score for the history books. 2-0 lol.

SalukiSteelers
11-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Speaking of "disgrace," isn't it strange that the hyper-patriotic NFL canceled the pre-game "Star Spangled Banner" because of the weather delay? I don't want to see any of their B.S. flag-waving if they're not honoring that tradition. Hard to believe there's not a CD of the song somewhere around Heinz Field. Guess they could have just played a Chevy commercial on the JumboTron. "This is Our Salespitch, er, Country."

steelcity58
11-27-2007, 01:26 AM
The field was bad, but I have seen far worse, some involving Pittsburgh, some involving other teams and other stadiums, and other decades. They all scored more than 3 points.

Saying the field is the reason you scored only 3 points and barely beat the worst team in the league is just an excuse.

The only good to come out of this is we did not lose.

And maybe the players will realize what they should have known after the Denver loss.

They are not playing at the top of their game. They are not good enough to just show up and win against anyone.

The last drive was the only time the Steelers looked motivated.

The O-Line opened holes, throwing lanes, and let Ben sit back and choose his target.

This team has played great...(Ravens)...and terrible...(pick any of the 3 losses and tonight).

I just can't celebrate this win, more than I can wonder what kind of shape the team will be in, or which one will show up against the Pats in two weeks.

fansince'76
11-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Saying the field is the reason you scored only 3 points and barely beat the worst team in the league is just an excuse.

I just can't celebrate this win, more than I can wonder what kind of shape the team will be in, or which one will show up against the Pats in two weeks.

Yup, never mind that same Pats team won by the same margin we did tonight against a journeyman QB with a NFC team that was playing .500 ball in Foxboro on a good field. A win is a win.

OneForTheToe
11-27-2007, 01:47 AM
On many...many levels.

Personally, I thought the decision by Cameron to pass up the 38 yarder was a bigger mistake. I know the field was bad but the five yards on the penalty actually gave them better ground. What was they left with after that penalty 4th and 15. Miami would have been smart to give the field goal a chance even if it was a small chance.

Boomerang
11-27-2007, 01:47 AM
AN ugly win still goes down as a W on such a bad playing surface.

Rhee Rhee
11-27-2007, 02:03 AM
dude we shut 'em out... it'll defintely help the defensive stats....

ohiosteelerfan20
11-27-2007, 04:16 AM
Reminder to all, we are 8-3. It took 16 games to get 8 wins last year.

Big D
11-27-2007, 05:15 AM
On many...many levels.

We clearly have the dumbest coaching staff in the entire division. Billick is a close second.

The field was a Disgrace. Any free agent watching that game must have called his agent and said "There is no way in "you know where" that I will ever play in Pittsburgh...other than as a visitor.

How many people having bad seasons (Porter), end up having their best game of the year against the Steelers.

Our defense is not that great. I'm worried what Palmer is going to do to our defense next week.

look at all the shit herm edwards got for not kicking the field goal against the raiders yesterday.Some steeler fans can never be satisfied

steelpride12
11-27-2007, 05:49 AM
O ya i forgot guys WERE 8-3 WE WON and im pretty sure thats all that matters!
Just put the game behind you let Holmes, Troy, and Smith heal up and next week the field should be better and ready to play next week.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 07:21 AM
I never said I was unhappy that we won. I'm happy that we are 8-3, just like many of you.

Oh really?

I don't know, but that sounds like you were unhappy with the win to me. It's also hard to imagine how anyone can say our defense isn't very good when they pitched a shutout and held the Dolphins to less than 200 total yards for the game playing with backups in 3 key positions.

Steelers fans are just never, ever, EVER happy. About anything.

Buzz05
11-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Alright I know I havnt posted here in quite sometimes. Mainly because of the whole LITP issue and I just got fed up. But. After reading some of the posts and 'analysis' on the game last night I have to say something.

Did anyone watch the post game last night on ESPN? If so you would have heard Steve Young say, "In games such as this with these conditions you can not analize the game. All analysis gets thrown out, all the mistakes, everything. " The conditions warrent for mistakes. Is it a coincidence Heath had a bad game, not only with the conditions, but trying to block all pro linebackers and DEs. You try to keep your footing in that slop. The o-line. Yes they arent the best. But in the conditions I felt they did pretty decent. Mahan...blows. But he did alright considering the conditions. The field goal, Tomlin trusts Reed...isnt a coach supposed to trust their players. Reed has been automatic...Tomlin had to let him try. Would you rather do another failed run up the middle and atleast attempt some points....

And why arent people talking about the positive...Ben, set a record for completion percentage. Willie, I thought he was going to have fumblitis all game in the weather...nope he held on...the wr's caught the ball when thrown too. Its easy to say its all Ben but the wide outs had to catch the ball when thrown too.

Instead of always looking at the negatives I wish some people would promptly remove the piss from their Wheaties and except a win as a win.

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
If there is one glaring positive in this game, it is that other than Ben's first drive pick that really didn't hurt us, the Steelers didn't make any turnovers after that. Considering the condition of that field, that is a huge accomplishment. :thumbsup:

It was one of the ugliest wins I can remember, but I'll take it. I'm still not pleased with the OL as a unit and several other aspects of the Steelers game plan and hope that they get these issues worked out as we're in the stretch now.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
If there is one glaring positive in this game, it is that other than Ben's first drive pick that really didn't hurt us, the Steelers didn't make any turnovers after that. Considering the condition of that field, that is a huge accomplishment. :thumbsup:

It was one of the ugliest wins I can remember, but I'll take it. I'm still not pleased with the OL as a unit and several other aspects of the Steelers game plan and hope that they get these issues worked out as we're in the stretch now.

Yeah, I thought they did a great job of taking care of the the ball after that pick. They had just the one fumble by Ben that thankfully he was able to recover, and that was that. If you win the turnover battle you usually win the game - we were +1 last night, and ended up on the right side of an ugly game. Wins are all that matter at this point - it doesn't matter how it gets done, so long as it gets done.

moedap
11-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Ok HometownGal I finally see your point. The negativity in this thread was hard to bear with. I will no longer boo my Steelers.

revefsreleets
11-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I thought the oline showed improvement last night. I thought the playcalling exactly fit the conditions. In fact, I was surprised the Steeler threw as much as they did. The special teams played well, and it is a minor miracle that we didn't turn the ball over 10 times last night. The field was the worst I've ever seen.

Ultimately, there is nothing to take away from this game other than the fact that playing in a peat bog does not make for very entertaining football games.

Next week we play the Bengals. I'm sure the field will be a lot better by then and we will return to playing normal football.

ShutDown24
11-27-2007, 08:47 AM
What? To go for a field goal with the score being 0 - 0 and the other team obviously cannot score? You think that decision is a disgrace?... WHY THE HELL NOT GO FOR IT?

Steeldude
11-27-2007, 08:47 AM
another sub-par rushing performance against a bottom ranked run defense.

the steelers faced the broncos and jets who both had the worst run defense in the NFL when they played the steelers. going into monday the dolphins had the 30th ranked run defense and the steelers still struggled.

if the steelers can't run strong against 3 of the 4 worst run defenses in the NFL how do they expect to go anywhere?

yeah, yeah, the field was horrible...blah, blah, blah.

Counselor
11-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Did anyone watch the post game last night on ESPN? If so you would have heard Steve Young say, "In games such as this with these conditions you can not analize the game. All analysis gets thrown out, all the mistakes, everything. " The conditions warrent for mistakes. Is it a coincidence Heath had a bad game, not only with the conditions, but trying to block all pro linebackers and DEs. You try to keep your footing in that slop. The o-line. Yes they arent the best. But in the conditions I felt they did pretty decent. Mahan...blows. But he did alright considering the conditions. The field goal, Tomlin trusts Reed...isnt a coach supposed to trust their players. Reed has been automatic...Tomlin had to let him try. Would you rather do another failed run up the middle and atleast attempt some points....

Thank you on both points. Tunch Ilkin was saying that slop is really hard on blockers---o-line/tight ends etc,---because you can't keep your feet under you. I'm sure that was part of Miller's problem.

As for the Reed field goal attempt. By that point it was pretty clear that A) the game could be won on one field goal; and B) our defense was stuffing them without too much of a problem. There was nothing wrong with that decision.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Next week we play the Bengals. I'm sure the field will be a lot better by then and we will return to playing normal football.

Maybe not - the early weather reports call for snow, sleet and freezing rain on Sunday night. It may end up hurting the Bengals more than the Steelers, but still, it would be pretty bad conditions, especially if we get mostly freezing rain.

ShutDown24
11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Thank you on both points. Tunch Ilkin was saying that slop is really hard on blockers---o-line/tight ends etc,---because you can't keep your feet under you. I'm sure that was part of Miller's problem.

As for the Reed field goal attempt. By that point it was pretty clear that A) the game could be won on one field goal; and B) our defense was stuffing them without too much of a problem. There was nothing wrong with that decision.

Yeah, even I who normally kill Arians cannot complain about last nights game. It wasn't a normal game - complaints about it are all irrelevant. All that matters is the W and honestley if we would have lost, I wouldn't be mad at the team either. If you have never played football in mud before you wouldn't get it lol. Skill means very little when you can't run.

By the way, if no ones heard this yet, Steelers reps have gone down to WV to get information about the turf just to consider I think. I wouldn't jump to conclusions though.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 09:03 AM
another sub-par rushing performance against a bottom ranked run defense.

the steelers faced the broncos and jets who both had the worst run defense in the NFL when they played the steelers. going into monday the dolphins had the 30th ranked run defense and the steelers still struggled.

if the steelers can't run strong against 3 of the 4 worst run defenses in the NFL how do they expect to go anywhere?

yeah, yeah, the field was horrible...blah, blah, blah.

You can downplay the field if you want, but I will not. It is pretty tough to block anyone effectively when you feet are literally stuck in the mud.

Having said that, I do agree with your overall point that the Steelers must find a way to run the ball better if they want to continue to have success.

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I believe a lot of last nights coaching decisions were based upon the fact that our coaches believed in their hearts that Miami had zero chance of really moving the ball against our defense. Especially after we knocked out Both of their running backs. So decisions were made knowing we could A. Take some Risks, like going for 4th and 1 and attempting a long field goal. B. Would eventually wear down the Dolphins enough to get points. I told my wife, while watching the game in the 1st quarter, I said "Wife, this game is going to be a 3 nothing game. Whoever scores first, wins. This sucks to watch." She nodded and said enjoy.

But to flat out call our coaching the staff the Worst in the NFL is INGNORANT!

Do I agree with every call, hell no, but I haven't agreed with every call since Chuck Noll went for it on 4thd down in the Superbowl instead of punting because he was worried about it being blocked.

So Back off the coaches, a win is a win and now we prep for Cincy.

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Little did we know that was the game saving tackle. :thumbsup: Tough win and maybe this will be what it takes to push the Rooney for a new field next year.:cheers:

AMEN to that my Steelers brother! :cheers:

BlastFurnace
11-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Oh really?

I don't know, but that sounds like you were unhappy with the win to me. It's also hard to imagine how anyone can say our defense isn't very good when they pitched a shutout and held the Dolphins to less than 200 total yards for the game playing with backups in 3 key positions.

Steelers fans are just never, ever, EVER happy. About anything.

You should be a lawyer. Take two entirely different comments and make them say what you want.

I am happy with the win. I am unhappy with the way the team played to get the win. Entirely different.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
You should be a lawyer. Take two entirely different comments and make them say what you want.

I am happy with the win. I am unhappy with the way the team played. Entirely different.

Hey, they're YOUR words. It isn't my fault you weren't clear in what you were trying to say. If you had simply said what you did in your last sentence and left it at that, there'd have been no issue.

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I am happy with the win. I am unhappy with the way the team played. Entirely different.

I am unhappy that Mother Nature decided to be terribly unkind shortly before and during most of the game. I am unhappy that several Fins players were injured. I am unhappy that Ben still had to run for his life back there. I am happy that several of our backups stepped up and did their jobs. I am happy that several starters made an impact in that game (Ben, Hines, Sep, Jeff), even in such adverse conditions. I am happy that the Steelers won the turnover battle. I am happy with the win, no matter how ugly it was.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey, they're YOUR words. It isn't my fault you weren't clear in what you were trying to say. If you had simply said what you did in your last sentence and left it at that, there'd have been no issue.

I'll agree with your statement. I should have been clearer and waited until I wrote something until this morning.

I think the Steelers left some points on the field based upon field position....but....I'll take the win.

PisnNapalm
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
On many...many levels.

I believe that you're over-reacting more than a little bit. Yes the field was shit. We all saw it. Have you ever tried to play a game in conditions like that? I doubt it.

Both teams played their hearts out but in the end the field kicked both their asses. The only disgrace here is the Steelers front office for allowing the original playing surface to get so bad in the first place. They should have switched to artifical turf years ago. Grass can never handle the abuse they subject it to year after year.

I'd much rather see a nice grass field for them to play on but if the field is going to be used this much... turf is the way to go.

Stillers43
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
The only thing that was a disgrace was the FIELD! As for everything else, the field played into it. Should we have run the ball better especially on short yardage- Hell ya. But a win is a WIN!

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
8-3

Nothing disgraceful about that.

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 09:25 AM
i was upset that yet again ben had to run for his life, or that our oline is still bad. but a win is a win and i am happy with that. however it was sort of a boring game to me

revefsreleets
11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
If I was the offensive coordinator for the Steelers, some of you guys would be burning me in effigy today. I would have run the ball on 1st 2nd and 3rd down and punted over and over and over last night. In those conditions, Tressel ball applies, and throwing a water logged football around in a swamp is a recipe for disaster.

verks36
11-27-2007, 09:34 AM
There are a couple things i was embarrassed about the game

1. The field- nuff said

2. short yardage- how many times did the announcers mention we were a power running team yet we couldnt convert short yardage worth crap. And i have to say most of the blame goes to najeh

3. Excepted offense to reach the endzone at least once.

4. O-line is terrible and needs to block someone to give ben a chance where he doesnt have to keep running for his life. I am really worried ben is going to get hurt one of these games with the amount of hits he is taking.

Postives

Rossums return YAY he returned a punt for over 10 yards

Wards play he did good out there and got open alot

WE WON

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2007, 09:49 AM
If I was the offensive coordinator for the Steelers, some of you guys would be burning me in effigy today. I would have run the ball on 1st 2nd and 3rd down and punted over and over and over last night. In those conditions, Tressel ball applies, and throwing a water logged football around in a swamp is a recipe for disaster.

Because the field was such a wreck it apeared easier to throw than run (as evidenced by the last drive) since the DBs could not cut while the receivers knew where they were heading . Of course with conditions so bad there was always a chance for a perfectly thrown pass to skid off a receiver's muddy hands.

I am no Arians fan but given the conditions last night it is hard to pass judgment on anyone's performance.

The season would have been wrecked with a loss last night. If the Pittsburgh media has any spine at all it needs to push the Rooneys on: 1) why nobody apparently anticipated it might rain after the sod was put down; and 2) what it will take to get artificial turf after this season. A call for a comment by the league office also would be appropriate.

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 09:53 AM
i was upset about the playing calling at first. i was like what the heck run run pass... but i guess given the conditions of the field and the weather BA called the best plays he could... maybe?

DACEB
11-27-2007, 10:23 AM
The field was a disgrace and thats about all you can take from that game.

Even more so than the field, I think it is a disgrace that the Rooneys allowed thier players to possibly get injured on that field. I understand the benefits of grass and like football to be played in the elements on real ground, grass, mud, whatever BUT. With the advancements made in turf and the amount of money the Rooneys make on the team I actually hope the league steps in and mandates a change.

the24fan
11-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I know the field was horrible but there is no doubt it helps the underdog. Makes it easier to hang around. Only concern should be our power running game. Davenport just stinks..guy needs to run like he has a pair. Pathetic performance by him. One other thing to remember we were without 3 starters..so overall Steeler nation should just chock it up as a win and get ready to pound the little Tigers...

alittlejazzbird
11-27-2007, 10:32 AM
You know, I don't think there's much of a specific game plan you can draw up for conditions like we saw last night. Seems to me that the best you can ask for is that your players (a) don't get seriously injured; (b) protect the ball and try to grind it out; and (c) eventually find a way to score some points, any way they can. I agreed with Steve Young's assessment that when such extreme conditions occur, you gotta throw everything out the window. I'm not going to second-guess Tomlin or Arians or anybody based on what they had to deal with.

I for one am extremely proud of the fact that this team found a way to win the game. Our defense came up huge, and played exactly like they should have played last Sunday. I'm guessing after last night we're still #1 in yards given up per game. And Ty Carter led the team with 11 tackles; that's a great job filling in for Troy.

Offensively, it's not exactly any secret that this team has flaws. And yet somehow, some way, they hung in there and came away with enough to win. That's what good teams do; they make a way when there is no way.

Overall, I saw an offensive line that played better, and in fact played rather well given the Dickensian field conditions. I watched them on every offensive series, and in my opinion, Ben generally had more time to stand in the pocket and throw than I have seen in recent weeks. There were two times I recall, one being when he was hit as he was throwing and fumbled, where I thought there was nothing he could have done to prevent the sacks. He is definitely holding onto the ball too long at times; I know he's doing it because he's trying so hard to make plays, and he truly believes on every down that he can make a play, so instead of throwing the ball away, he tries to scramble. To me, this is the last hurdle to overcome in his full maturity to elite quarterback status - he has GOT to learn to release the ball faster, or else not be afraid to throw it away once he's out of the pocket.

I don't think there's any way to objectively evaluate the end result of last night's game except to say I'm thankful we won, we're still a game ahead of the Browns, and we're still in charge of our own destiny. I think back to where we were this time last year (4-7), and I'm extra thankful.

jjpro11
11-27-2007, 10:38 AM
what exactly could the offense have done different? you couldnt throw it long.. both teams didnt and both teams' defenses knew that as well. its hard to keep a defense guessing and on their toes when you take away that phase of the game. its hard as it is to pass block in those conditions.. trying to buy enough time for a slowed down receiver to get down field is a lot to ask. we did what we could and didnt have any costly mistakes. last year we would have probably fumbled the ball away at the end.

the24fan
11-27-2007, 10:42 AM
well spoken..cant expect anything other than dink and dunk..and that is tough to do as an Oline. Thought they did as well as could be expected. Plus guys tend to be hesitant when field conditions are that bad..plkayin that way all game is mentally tiring

Michael Keller
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Finally...thank you.

Blast Furnace:

This is my second response :

The first time I challanged you to repeat your post after each remaining game.

[B][/B AFTER FURTHER REVIEW !!! I fully understand your feelings, I really do. Like me, you are very frustrated with our team. Perhaps your frustration is a carry over from our previous poorly played games. I can only speak for myself and yes there is a carry over of concern and emotions.

Objectively I agree that our offensive play calling is not good . I am going to take off on a plea Ben made to Arian last night in the late fourth quarter.

"I can win this Game." The Steeler coaches need to accept this fact #1. OFFENSIVELY THE STEELERS LIVE OR DIE WITH BEN ROTHLISBERGER. He is their weapon and it is not Willie Parker, Parker and I love him is not Franco Harris,
( That was being discuused herein a few weeks back ) . With a better offensive line Parker is a better weapon. we do not have a "better" offensive line.

BL what I think you are saying is that we are too predictable . I believe this for sure. I keep saying it and I am ready to scream it aloud. Ben needs to take this team over. At least we do not have the Eagles Offensive Coordinator. to contend with. I was shocked at the stupidity of his play calling.

For the record I have no problem with Tomlin at this point. This team's up side potential is very high. He dserves credit for this. He will improve substantially as a HC> The man is too smart and passionate not to.

While i understand your disapproval of the field goal attempt. I slowly approved of it. I just think you got to take your shot when you can get it. Miami was not going any where offensively. Plus the attempt may have made it a bit easier for the game winner. Kicking field goals in Heinz is always challanging in the winter and nobody knows it better than Reed .

Hang in there because this team may drive you nuts because it does this to me. I just keep hoping it all comes together . I know the potential is there. Give the ball to Ben please! Remember Bradshaw was one of the very few that called his own plays and he couldn"t spell C A T some one once told me. Go Steelers

SteelerFanInCA
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I think one thing that is being over looked is the injury factor. I believe we came away last night injury free. That is a huge victory in itself. When I saw the field during pregame, I thought to myself "someone is going to get hurt out there" I guess we are lucky that none of our guys blew out a leg or knee. That was my biggest concern\fear of the night.

I'm not using last night's perfomance for any baseline or measuring tool. I've played in conditions like that and have experienced it's impossible to play at the same level your skillset is accustomed to.

Counselor
11-27-2007, 11:02 AM
The field was a disgrace and thats about all you can take from that game.

Even more so than the field, I think it is a disgrace that the Rooneys allowed thier players to possibly get injured on that field. I understand the benefits of grass and like football to be played in the elements on real ground, grass, mud, whatever BUT. With the advancements made in turf and the amount of money the Rooneys make on the team I actually hope the league steps in and mandates a change.

The league shouldn't manadate anything of the kind. The field is grass to prevent injuries---the Rooneys admitted they saw too many career ending injuries on Three Rivers Stadium turf . . .I don't know if it does prevent injuries or not---but we didn't have any real injuries last night in all that slop . . .compared to two big ones on artificial turf last week.

the24fan
11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
agreed..turf has ended too many careers.. anyone know what kind of field WVU uses? I hear the Steelers are lookin into that

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
jason taylor disses the field at heinz
They do make Fieldturf you know. I don't know if they've heard of that up here, but I got the number for it in my pocket".

Borski
11-27-2007, 11:28 AM
agreed..turf has ended too many careers.. anyone know what kind of field WVU uses? I hear the Steelers are lookin into that

I heard its the newest edition of FieldTurf

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
jason taylor disses the field at heinz
They do make Fieldturf you know. I don't know if they've heard of that up here, but I got the number for it in my pocket".

Jason Taylor needs to worry about whether his team will win a game before he retires.

For someone who plays for such a lousy organization he certainly is not shy about sticking his beak into the Steelers business, as evidenced by this shrewd pre-season insight on Tomlin being hired;

As Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, a Pittsburgh native who is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, told me Wednesday, "They've got a mess up there. They've got a new coach, players questioning whether he should be there. He's got to find a way to demand some respect. I don't know what to expect, to be honest."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/05/31/bring.on.weekend/1.html

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Jason Taylor needs to worry about whether his team will win a game before he retires.

For someone who plays for such a lousy organization he certainly is not shy about sticking his beak into the Steelers business, as evidenced by this shrewd pre-season insight on Tomlin being hired;

As Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor, a Pittsburgh native who is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, told me Wednesday, "They've got a mess up there. They've got a new coach, players questioning whether he should be there. He's got to find a way to demand some respect. I don't know what to expect, to be honest."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/05/31/bring.on.weekend/1.html

i agree with you dan.. he should worry about his own team.. and for his statement on hiring tomlin... its not like he was going to ever play under tomlin??..lol..

SteelDogFan
11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
The Steelers are 6-0 at home, there is only one other team that can make that claim and their undefeated.

The Steelers are Still NUMBER 1 in defense and after 11 games there can be no more "they haven't played anyone".

Ben is NUMBER 2 in passing second only to WHOM! the QB of the only undefeated team.

Willie is NUMBER 2 RB in the league second only to WHOM, the best back to enter the league in a long time.

James Harrison has 7 forced fumbles. I believe that to be at least 3 above anyone else, not sure.

The Steelers are third in sacks in the NFL.

The Steelers are on pace to be the number 2or 3 seed in the playoffs.

It is so ridiculous for anyone to get on the boards and literally complain about an 8-3 team that is 2 games up in its division (plus owns the tie-breaker) and at the top or near it in every major league category. I understand if you have a concern about the o-line or the lack of a fullback in the backfield.

But to literally come on here and gripe, complain or the worst say things like disgrace is just plain wrong. Not a personal attack but, this is like winning the lottery for one million dollars and complaining because they had to pay one hundred thousand in taxes.

Doesn't make sense.

DACEB
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
The league shouldn't manadate anything of the kind. The field is grass to prevent injuries---the Rooneys admitted they saw too many career ending injuries on Three Rivers Stadium turf . . .I don't know if it does prevent injuries or not---but we didn't have any real injuries last night in all that slop . . .compared to two big ones on artificial turf last week.

The league should'nt mandate that thier product be protected?!?! The players are the product, does anyone want thier players hurt?

The Eagles had THE worst field for years, how many players got hurt on that field. Do you remember that turf with the creases and all? Visiting teams hated playing on that surface. You don't think the league has the right in behalf of thier players safety to mandate a change? The league should have stepped in and had the Eagles replace that turf long before it actually was.

All I'm saying is the Rooneys have the financial ability to install the best surface possible, whether that is natural or artificial. If you look at the crowd at Heinz Field it seems that every fan has Steelers gear on, who do those profits go to? The Rooneys!
They have the responsibility to the team AND the fans to install the best surface.

BTW, turf has come a long way since the rug on cement at Three Rivers. Thank a higher power that none of the players were injured because of the field last night, you don't think that the Rooneys were praying nobody got hurt last night?

BlastFurnace
11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Blast Furnace:

This is my second response :

The first time I challanged you to repeat your post after each remaining game.

[B][/B AFTER FURTHER REVIEW !!! I fully understand your feelings, I really do. Like me, you are very frustrated with our team. Perhaps your frustration is a carry over from our previous poorly played games. I can only speak for myself and yes there is a carry over of concern and emotions.

Objectively I agree that our offensive play calling is not good . I am going to take off on a plea Ben made to Arian last night in the late fourth quarter.

"I can win this Game." The Steeler coaches need to accept this fact #1. OFFENSIVELY THE STEELERS LIVE OR DIE WITH BEN ROTHLISBERGER. He is their weapon and it is not Willie Parker, Parker and I love him is not Franco Harris,
( That was being discuused herein a few weeks back ) . With a better offensive line Parker is a better weapon. we do not have a "better" offensive line.

BL what I think you are saying is that we are too predictable . I believe this for sure. I keep saying it and I am ready to scream it aloud. Ben needs to take this team over. At least we do not have the Eagles Offensive Coordinator. to contend with. I was shocked at the stupidity of his play calling.

For the record I have no problem with Tomlin at this point. This team's up side potential is very high. He dserves credit for this. He will improve substantially as a HC> The man is too smart and passionate not to.

While i understand your disapproval of the field goal attempt. I slowly approved of it. I just think you got to take your shot when you can get it. Miami was not going any where offensively. Plus the attempt may have made it a bit easier for the game winner. Kicking field goals in Heinz is always challanging in the winter and nobody knows it better than Reed .

Hang in there because this team may drive you nuts because it does this to me. I just keep hoping it all comes together . I know the potential is there. Give the ball to Ben please! Remember Bradshaw was one of the very few that called his own plays and he couldn"t spell C A T some one once told me. Go Steelers

You said that much better than I did...because many of my frustrations with this team has spilled over from the past 3 weeks.

I like Tomlin a lot, but last night he really frustrated me. The field goal attempt really hacked me off though. From the ground shots, you could see players sinking into the field and I felt that asking Jeff to make a 44 yard kick was giving up too much field position. What I was hoping Tomlin would do is have Sepulveda pin them deep in their territory again. We all knew that they weren't going to drive down the field on us...and they weren't going to punt the ball far when they had to either. I felt that as long as we kept getting the ball inside their territory that we would eventually punch it in.

I agree with your assessment of Roth's importance and how he is what makes this offense go...not Parker. I think we saw that last year as well.

I'm hanging in there and have been since 1976. I need to give myself 24 hours before posting anything because I get so fired up during the games that it carries over to the board.

klick81
11-27-2007, 12:36 PM
The Steelers are 6-0 at home, there is only one other team that can make that claim and their undefeated.

The Steelers are Still NUMBER 1 in defense and after 11 games there can be no more "they haven't played anyone".

Ben is NUMBER 2 in passing second only to WHOM! the QB of the only undefeated team.

Willie is NUMBER 2 RB in the league second only to WHOM, the best back to enter the league in a long time.

James Harrison has 7 forced fumbles. I believe that to be at least 3 above anyone else, not sure.

It is so ridiculous for anyone to get on the boards and literally complain about an 8-3 team that is 2 games up in its division (plus owns the tie-breaker) and at the top or near it in every major league category. I understand if you have a concern about the o-line or the lack of a fullback in the backfield.

But to literally come on here and gripe, complain or the worst say things like disgrace is just plain wrong. Not a personal attack but, this is like winning the lottery for one million dollars and complaining because they had to pay one hundred thousand in taxes.

Doesn't make sense.

Great post. I don't necessarily agree with the not complaining part (we're entitled to owr own opinion), but thanks for posting all those positives.

#1LambertFan
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
On many...many levels.

My question for you is who (offensively) had their best game against Pittsburgh, and we are still allowing fewer points than any other team and if you dissaprove of what is happening in Pittsburgh go be a Browns fan. This franchise doesn't need pessimistic fans.

#1LambertFan
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Doesn't make sense. I agree with you 100% and that is what i have been telling everyone for the past couple weeks.

BlastFurnace
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
My question for you is who (offensively) had their best game against Pittsburgh, and we are still allowing fewer points than any other team and if you dissaprove of what is happening in Pittsburgh go be a Browns fan. This franchise doesn't need pessimistic fans.

You must be from steelers.com if you get your feelings hurt that easily. I'm not a Browns fan and have no reason to pull for them.

I have admitted that I overreacted in some ways last night...but there is nothing wrong with debating opposing viewpoints with other Steelers fans. Sorry if that bothers you, but I didn't think that message boards were nothing but pom pom waving sessions.

You asked for examples of people who have played their best game against us...Let's see...to name a few:

We have faced the NFL's worst run defense 3 times and couldn't run on them in
key short yardage situations.

Thomas Jones had 100 yards against us.

Joey Porter's game last night. He's been horrible all year...until last night.

Jets have 9 sacks the entire season...until they play against our OL. They rack up
7 sacks. As a matter of fact, the last 3 opponents have sacked Ben over 15 times.

The Steelers have had a good year, but the team has weaknesses. I, like some others, get frustrated and express my views with other fans...some who disagree and some who do agree.

You obviously disagree...and that's fine as well.

Edman
11-27-2007, 12:53 PM
There is not much to analyze last night. The Steeler not only had to play the Dolphins, but the field as well. It pretty much slowed down both teams.

Steelers 3, Dolphins 0, Heinz Field 20.

This game will certainly go down in Steelers Lore.

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
we know this game wont be on nfl replay this week..lol:wink02:

BurghZ0n3
11-27-2007, 12:59 PM
....well, I hope it's not overtime when we got 3? I overslept after 3rd Qtr browsing at ESPN website....I recall when we played PATS for 7-6 @ Three Rivers... so, last night was worse???

mad0953
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
In my newbie opinion I thought it was a good idea to try to get some points. The Dollfins were not going to get a score (obvious to me and all of my drunk pals at the bar) and that opportunity (being so close to the end zone) may not happen again with the field being the way it was. Good call Tomlin and bad kick on a crappy field. Oh and btw does anybody feel sorry for that dope smokin Ricky Williams?????:blah:

LVSteelersfan
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I know I don't feel sorry for Williams. When I saw him get stepped on (which may turn into a fine) that I was hoping the dope smoking jerk was done for the season because they never should have let him come back to begin with. It makes me think Vick will be playing again in this league and that thought irritates me to no end. We got a win. I don't think 6 days is enough for that field to be fixed though. If the weather is as bad Sunday night as I heard someone say, that field will be even worse if it is UNEVEN and frozen solid. I think that is worse than sinking into it. Hopefully whoever is in charge of the turf (does anyone know if that is really the Rooney's field to fix or is it the stadium managers?) will see the light and get it FIXED for good.

Steelers
11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Ricky didn't dogfight. He didn't brandish weapons or rape women. He didn't shoot up steroids or record play signals.

He smoked a plant recreationally. All the bad publicity he is/was getting is way out of whack.

jjpro11
11-27-2007, 02:46 PM
i cant really hate on ricky either. he probably wasnt a good teammate for doing what he did.. but at least he wasnt endangering the public (us) with his actions like others do so often.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Ricky didn't dogfight. He didn't brandish weapons or rape women. He didn't shoot up steroids or record play signals.

He smoked a plant recreationally. All the bad publicity he is/was getting is way out of whack.

It's not like he put our nation's youth Rydalin. :tomato:

And I'd rather run into an angry Ricky stoned higher than a kite than liquored up on Jack Daniels. :tap:

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM
it looked like he got stepped on accidently. however he is done for the season with a chest muscle strain or something like that.

now we all know that ricky is just misunderstood..lol

steelpride12
11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Cant say it was a terrible game due to the field which was considered by Steve Young as unplayable conditons.
Im not going to judge the steelers on their play on a ground like that the real challenge is next week vs. BUNGLEs!

filthyfan
11-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Filthyfans observations from last night....
Bergers passing percentage.....85...outstanding in any conditions....not to mention a typhoon..,,,BUT STILL HANGS ON TO THE BALL TOO LONG!!! He wants to make a play so badly he does not give up...but he needs the check-off guy in the flat to throw to...I have not seen that very often...the result... 5 SACKS!!...9 last week!! No cadence!!
Willie needs to be unleashed...to me it seems like he's not running with his natural instinct....someone is coaching him TOO MUCH...seems like he's got chains on.
Our D layed some nasty hits on the backs(knocked #1 and 2 out of the game) and the QB...James Harrison is a force....his speed and strength reminds me of Lloyd
Hines...just awesome. A few months back I watched an old Georgia game he played in on ESPN Classics...He QB'd with a fractured left wrist....unbelievable...the guy is the essence of toughness and team-player.
Bottom line..we got the W....field situation was embarassing...they need to do some QA work on that. Why do we need to let the local high schools tear up our field every year??? Aren't there enough HS football fields in western Penn to deal with their playoffs??

OneForTheToe
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I though one other non-disgrace was Max Starks. Sure if the field would have been dry Taylor probably would have been running past him the whole game, but the "iso" on he and Taylor at least showed Max was there to play and using proper technique. And, after all, that would be an improvement for Max.

eafratitpm3
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I wish the Steelers would go back to the quick slant pass. Several of the 3 and short plays are an automatic with the slant pass. It also would take care of the sacks that are being allowed.

steel striker
11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Two good things came out of this game we won and no major injuries. Yes the conditions were horrible but, we got the win that is all that matters. We must focus on the bungles and, win on sunday night. The browns are on our heels and, we can't relax. The o-line still needs work I know Simmons was out but, we need tighten things up so Ben does not get hurt out there. Take away his bad throw to Joey and, he had a pretty good night out there. Give credit props to Hines he had a very good game but, think about it two calls negated our chance to score early. The bottom line is we won and, that is the end of the story.

tony hipchest
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Willie needs to be unleashed...to me it seems like he's not running with his natural instinct....someone is coaching him TOO MUCH...seems like he's got chains on.
??great comparrison of what it mustve been like to run in that quagmire last night.

atleast he wasnt taking gimme shots like williams and chatman took. the game definitely favored the defense.

you always hear those conditions always favor the offense because they know where they are going. a great defense always know where they are going too. they are going to the ball.

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 10:34 PM

True - he didn't commit a felony. Instead, he sold out on his teammates and his commitment to his contract in favor of a bong. I hope the guys take turns punking him in the shower and give him a bong enema. Loser.

Providence Steel
11-27-2007, 10:44 PM
A Bong Enema!?! :shower::moon::ouch::jawdrop:

Rhee Rhee
11-28-2007, 02:09 AM
eh as long as ricky shaved that beard of his i cant complain

Steel Pit
11-28-2007, 05:17 AM

And also, why are we always running long routes. Never any slants or anything. Ben is obvisouly holding onto the ball to long and if we would run some shotter routes it would help that out for him.
Its either everyone goes long or everyone goes short, and that causes no space.

Lets see some play action and some 5-7yd past out in the flat to Heath, or short slants to Hines and Holmes and let them break it with speed after the catch.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Nope, I've made the same points in another thread. The Wr's routes are both far too long and long in developing. The Steelers coaching staff, as well as the rest of the NFL world, are well aware of the fact that our offensive line is, on their best day, AVERAGE.

I would love to see them shorten the deep-a$$ WR routes to more slant and curl routes. I'm especially aggravated by Arians decision to constantly run the ball from a singleback formation. Man ole man, the Steelers have had a bruising Fullback lead blocking for as long as I can remember. Lets get back to running out of the I-Formation.

In my previous post relating to this topic, HometownGal pointed out that the Roethlisberger adjustments/audibles at the line of scrimmage may be partly to blame. I hadn't thought about that until she pointed it out so I agree, she may be right. Whatever the case may be the Steelers staff definitely needs to adjust those dawg-on-long-a$$-WR routes.

revefsreleets
11-28-2007, 09:01 AM
The voicemail I got from my buddy (season ticket holder for many years, at the game Monday night):

"Dude, what a fun game to be at! (He sits under the overhang). Yeah, we only won 3-0, but the Steelers dominated that game. I don't care what anybody says, I was there, and the Steelers played well. And Max Starks played left tackle and didn't even give up 15 sacks!".

Glace
11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
People need to stop making such a fuss over the field.

Yes it was terrible Monday night....but honestly, that was a freak situation with all the rain we got. Rooney was right when he said it would have been just fine if it hadn't rained. I don't even think they got the whole field down before it started to rain.

I hope we never move to field turf. I hope we're the last team in the NFL with real grass.

How can it be a fun steeler football game without mud and grass smeared on some uniforms??

TackleMeBen
11-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Yes it was terrible Monday night....but honestly, that was a freak situation with all the rain we got. Rooney was right when he said it would have been just fine if it hadn't rained. I don't even think they got the whole field down before it started to rain.

I hope we never move to field turf. I hope we're the last team in the NFL with real grass.

How can it be a fun steeler football game without mud and grass smeared on some uniforms??

:iagree: i was listening to the barber shop on sirius last night and ronde was just fussing about how they shouldnt have been allowed to play on the field. i thought mud bowl was quite fun in the aspect of getting the uniforms dirty, i like old school football though.. man up and play on grass!

ChronoCross
11-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Get ready for field turf. Rooney's cannot delay it to much longer and do not be surprised if after the Bengals we put it in. But most likely if there smart they put it in after the Jags game getting ready for the playoffs.. But then again, the Rooney's wait till the off season. Ether way the NFL has to step in and force the Rooney's hand on this.

Imagine Parker on Field Turf for 8 Home games and the Yards he could already possible have. There has been to many times you see a divit fly up and parker go down when he could of broke out a long gain. The way are new offense is setup and the direction its heading, Field turf would be the best. But then again, until we fix the O line we will still have some troubles.

Dino 6 Rings
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think its "legal" to change to Field Turf during the season. The Patriots did it last season and got some heat (hand slapped) for it and the NFL made it "illegal" to change the field mid season.

It'll have to wait until after the season.

SteelDogFan
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
It may have been fine but when there is a game coming up you play on the old field until you get time to install the new one right. You don't do a rush job and not remove the old lumpy sod before you install the new. This is the late fall nothing but cold and wet weather on its way. Even if it did not rain that top layer of sod would have never taken root and by the end of the season would have been bad anyway.

Under those conditions a original field may resemble what it did Monday night. But to compound the problem by not install the new sod correctly doesn't make sense.

stlrtruck
11-28-2007, 02:49 PM
The one thing that game reminded me of was "OLD SCHOOL" NFL Football. The type with bloodied tape over knuckles, water splashing at the ankles, and the game won by determination.

And while both teams played not to lose, it definitely was a battle of wills and at times it looked like the dolphins could pull at a victory, our defense never broke down.

I'm embarrassed at the field and that the Steelers could let it get to that condition but man it was definitely a good game to see (especially from the nose bleed sections of the north endzone!).

I'll add this, Ben really needs to get a camera angle from that view so he can see the defenses open up passing lanes for him. There were several pass plays Monday night that he missed the open receiver in the middle of the field - and from the eagles game Sunday night the patria-cheats will be offering that up!

ricksteelers55
11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow I'm shocked....

Do you guys even know what it likes to play on that condition and field?

How many times did the Steelers fumbled the ball ? YEAH THAT'S RIGHT BIG 0

Now you blame short yardage....How do you expect the push to come from with that sloppy field?

If you want a team that goes for it on every 4th down and blow out each opp I think you guys should think about becoming a Cheatriots fan.

The disgrace is the way you criticize OUR team.

God bless the Steelers

Steel Warrior
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Although many of us didn't enjoy watching that, one of my buddies on the west coast certainly did. Here's an excerpt from his email:

"Wow, was I wrong about two boring night games. Sunday was good, and Monday night was good. I thought it was great that the field was as bad as it was. I haven't seen a game like that since the fog bowl, eagles/bears, and the snow plow game. That was great. The entire game was suspenseful, you didn't know what every single play would mean. Anything, good or bad was on every single play. It was great!"

:smoker:

GeneralRobinson
11-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I read that Monday's game was the third highest rated Monday Night Football game behind Dallas - Buffalo and Green Bay - Denver.

Steel Pit
11-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Wow, you can't be much older than 18 years of age. The Steelers played on an artificial surface for 30 straight seasons prior to 2001. Where does your "mud and grass smeared on some uniforms" statement come from? Prior to 2001, the only games that I recall as being muddy were our trips to Cleveland.

I'm all for changing our field surface to field turf. History indicates that the Steelers have won 4 Super Bowls with an artificial home playing surface and 1 Super Bowl on natural grass. You do the math.

And don't tell me that Heinz field has only been open since 2001 and therefore the Steelers haven't had many opportunities to win many Super Bowls on natural grass. Prior to the opening of Three Rivers Stadium, the Steelers had played 38 years on a natural surface and didn't win $hit.

Bring on the field turf. :thumbsup::cheer::tt02::jammin::banana:

steelpride12
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, you can't be much older than 18 years of age. The Steelers played on an artificial surface for 30 straight seasons prior to 2001. Where does your "mud and grass smeared on some uniforms" statement come from? Prior to 2001, the only games that I recall as being muddy were our trips to Cleveland.

I'm all for changing our field surface to field turf. History indicates that the Steelers have won 4 Super Bowls with an artificial home playing surface and 1 Super Bowl on natural grass. You do the math.

And don't tell me that Heinz field has only been open since 2001 and therefore the Steelers haven't had many opportunities to win many Super Bowls on natural grass. Prior to the opening of Three Rivers Stadium, the Steelers had played 38 years on a natural surface and didn't win $hit.

Bring on the field turf. :thumbsup::cheer::tt02::jammin::banana:

Wow im only 16 and knew all that so they must be at most 14 years old. And i agree completley i feel our team will be the same or better on turf so i would def. vote to get it as our new field now!

GeneralRobinson
11-28-2007, 09:57 PM
How many of the Field Turf supporters realize that if Steelers played on Field Turf we would be a game behind Cleveland in the division? If Terrell Suggs injures Ben's hip with his hit and that occurs on Field Turf, Ben misses the Cleveland game and we lose. Ben probably also misses the Jets game. We lose, Cleveland beats Baltimore, and we're a wild card team instead of a division leader.

Steel Pit
11-28-2007, 11:10 PM
How many of the Field Turf supporters realize that if Steelers played on Field Turf we would be a game behind Cleveland in the division? If Terrell Suggs injures Ben's hip with his hit and that occurs on Field Turf, Ben misses the Cleveland game and we lose. Ben probably also misses the Jets game. We lose, Cleveland beats Baltimore, and we're a wild card team instead of a division leader.

Simply AMAZING insight, Hey General, can you forecast my financial future in, let's say, 10 years from now?

Hines0wnz
11-29-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm giving you the benefit of overreaction here. I'm very pleased with Tomlin so far myself. To compare him with Billick is more than a touch irrational. Cant wait to see your next postgame postings.

The field was a Disgrace.

Token good point. :banana:

Hines0wnz
11-29-2007, 10:30 PM

Um.....what?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/jpriode73/kthxbai.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Get ready for field turf. Rooney's cannot delay it to much longer and do not be surprised if after the Bengals we put it in. But most likely if there smart they put it in after the Jags game getting ready for the playoffs.. But then again, the Rooney's wait till the off season. Ether way the NFL has to step in and force the Rooney's hand on this.

Imagine Parker on Field Turf for 8 Home games and the Yards he could already possible have. There has been to many times you see a divit fly up and parker go down when he could of broke out a long gain. The way are new offense is setup and the direction its heading, Field turf would be the best. But then again, until we fix the O line we will still have some troubles.

I understand what your saying about Willie on Field Turf....Just find it ironic that Willie has had both of his 200 yard rushing games at Heinz Field on grass......He didn't do squat on Field Turf when we played the Jets....

As for the field turf....I like the natural grass myself but if the Steelers put in the type of field turf that West Virginia put in then I would be happy....They had a field turf guy on Sport Beat tonight talking about that turf and seems even better then the field turf that most of the stadiums have now.....

BlastFurnace
11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm giving you the benefit of overreaction here. I'm very pleased with Tomlin so far myself. To compare him with Billick is more than a touch irrational. Cant wait to see your next postgame postings.

Token good point. :banana:

Agreed on both accounts. I overreacted and admitted to it earlier.

GeneralRobinson
11-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Um.....what?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/jpriode73/kthxbai.jpg

Ben was quoted by Phil Simms in the pre-game before Cleveland as saying that if the hit that he took against Baltimore which injured his hip occured on an artificial surface instead of the soogy natural surface, he would have missed some games.

Steel Pit
11-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Ben was quoted by Phil Simms in the pre-game before Cleveland as saying that if the hit that he took against Baltimore which injured his hip occured on an artificial surface instead of the soogy natural surface, he would have missed some games.

And if I go to the track today and bet the 2 horse to place in the 2nd, the 9 horse to show in the 5th, and the 3 horse to win in the 8th, then I'll win....................?????

I don't know, I guess I'll have to be there and do that to actually have the answer.

SteelDogFan
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I don't think the answer is go to a different turf, but thats what I thought at first. The problem is not the turf its the amount of games played at Heinz Field. Would it be cheaper to build a Sports stadium for the college and high school teams or cheaper to keep repairing the field every year, six times a year.

If they invest in the turf its a one time cost if they invest in a separate stadium its a one time cost. The only thing they cant do is leave the field the way it is and continue to have so many games played there in November and December.

GeneralRobinson
11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
And if I go to the track today and bet the 2 horse to place in the 2nd, the 9 horse to show in the 5th, and the 3 horse to win in the 8th, then I'll win....................?????

I don't know, I guess I'll have to be there and do that to actually have the answer.

So I'll admit I can't predict the future. I'm sure there was a chance that Charlie Batch could have led us to victory against Cleveland and Jets. But let's put that "what if" scenario to the side for now. I think we all agree that Ben gives us the best chance to win. Now let's say you're Steelers management. You're about to invest mucho dinero in your quarterback. He will probably receive the largest contract in the history of the club. He's a scrambling quarterback which means that he will be open to hits and tackles outside the pocket and down the field. He also tends to take a lot of sacks, in which he absorbs more hits. You're also about to decide what playing surface to use. You then hear Ben make a statement in which he cites Heinz Field's natural playing surface as the direct cause of him not missing games due to injury. In my opinon, you would be foolish to switch to an artificial surface and risk unnecessary extra wear and tear on your quarterback.

So you like to play the ponies and need a tip at the track, eh Steel Pit? I got a winner in the 8th at Beulah Park tomorrow - Dusty Carpet. I hear he's never been beaten. :sofunny: