PDA

View Full Version : I didn't realize until tonight how much this team misses Porter...

Mosca
11-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I know, gone is gone. And he's lost a step, yadda yadda yadda. But that fire. Not that we don't play with emotion, but man, this team needs that EXTRA fire that Joey gave us.

When we lost Cowher, we lost our executive leader, and Tomlin has done a good job replacing him. But when we lost Porter we lost our emotional and spiritual leader, and I really don't think anyone has replaced him, even a little bit.

With the Fins rebuilding next year, he might be expendable; it wouldn't be such a bad idea to pick him up again. Linebackers have a way of hanging in there longer than you might think (Seau).

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I loved Peezy and appreciate all that he gave to the team, but I have no regrets about him leaving. Silverback has done a helluva job in his first year as Joey's replacement. I still believe Farrior, Hines and Ben fire this team up in their own ways but just aren't as obvious as Peezy was.

stillers4me
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Joey put a smile on my face with his "I know you love me" after he picked off Ben. But I'll take Harrison's playmaking anyday.

Steel_Bus_24
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
I thought we looked fired up for the first couple of minutes, but our inept offensive penalties/decisions sucked it all away.

Its a good thing the Dolphins can't catch the ball or we would have been in trouble

Black@Gold Forever32
11-27-2007, 12:41 AM
I liked Porter very much but I don't think we have missed him at all...True he could have gotten the defense fired up at times this year but he wouldn't have helped Bruce Arians being totally clueless at times this year and Joey wouldn't have helped the Oline...lol

klick81
11-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Give credit where credit is due: Even as the opponent, JOEY was the ONLY person firing the STEELER'S DEFENSE UP.

SteelersFever
11-27-2007, 01:13 AM
I know, gone is gone. And he's lost a step, yadda yadda yadda. But that fire. Not that we don't play with emotion, but man, this team needs that EXTRA fire that Joey gave us.

When we lost Cowher, we lost our executive leader, and Tomlin has done a good job replacing him. But when we lost Porter we lost our emotional and spiritual leader, and I really don't think anyone has replaced him, even a little bit.

With the Fins rebuilding next year, he might be expendable; it wouldn't be such a bad idea to pick him up again. Linebackers have a way of hanging in there longer than you might think (Seau).

I like Porter, but I don't miss him terribly. Just look at what James Harrison is doing. And if you're worried about emotion, don't. Kansas Head Coach Mangino summed it up best.

"If you rely on emotion, it lasts until about two plays after the opening kickoff and then you're pooped," he said. "It's about blocking, tackling, running, throwing, playing sound fundamental football.".

That is what the Steelers need to do. So, do I miss Porters fire? Not really, but it was fun having a Spokesman with an attitude from hell when you needed one. :sofunny:

Galax Steeler
11-27-2007, 04:59 AM
His fire is missed on the field but it was time for him to go while we rebuild our deffense.

Steeldude
11-27-2007, 06:01 AM

this team does not need or miss porter's mouth and lack of effort. why pick up a broken down LB who does nothing but babble and disappear on the field? porter was not a leader. he was a mouth, plain and simple. lambert was a leader. lloyd was a leader.

funny how the defense improved when porter was let go. i miss porter about as much as i miss his twin(gildon).

verks36
11-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I think Joey came to play yesterday but he cant preform like the consistently

but again i do miss joey jawwing at the other team warming up during warmupshttp://www.themightymjd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/JoeyPorter.jpg

DACEB
11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Linebackers have a way of hanging in there longer than you might think (Seau).

Yea, bring him back but you better get in contact with Jr. Seau and Rodney Harrison and have them get the HGH because THAT is THE only way those two are still around.

For real, do you really think we miss Porter. C'mon Harrison has been playing at a level much higher than Joey this year or last year.

It sure was cool seeing those shots of Porter in the B&G, was'nt it!!

Rhee Rhee
11-28-2007, 03:26 AM
i wish he woulda taken a paycut and stayed maybe as a ST stallwort or something.. look at tom izzo voted to like 2 or 3 probowls cause of his special teams ability... but ya... we defeintely need a guy like that... i hope anthony smith is the answer

Steel Pit
11-29-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't miss him. That jawing at the opposing team got old. I prefer the way that Lambert and Lloyd handled business. Those 2 guys typically had to be incited into jawing. They let their actions on the field do their speaking. Porter ran off at the mouth prior to every game and many times he laid a freaking egg with his performance. I'm glad that he's gone, it's GREAT to see Harrison FINALLY get his opportunity.

ShutDown24
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I like his fire too, but I would rather have the superior play of James Harrison than a little extra motivation.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
There were many times when Porter ran his mouth and did nothing. I feel those times he put the defense in a bad position, they had to make up for him running his mouth.

MJ5150
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I see what you mean, and I kind of agree. I miss his fire and emotions.

I think guys are still making the big plays on the field, the stats prove that. We just don't have some loud mouth telling everyone about it before and after every play. THAT is the part I do not miss. But I do see a few guys trying to act that way, and I wish they would stop.

-Mike

therocksteeler
11-29-2007, 09:30 PM
PeeZee is missed plain and simple. From after game locker room gatherings we have all seen on NFL net work to 40 yard line on field, in your face pre game yacking. Leaders are missed leaders and he was one! As far as hime being held to his words during game time and the D taking a hit for it....I did not hear any flack from his team mates during his time there. I'm sure he hears from fans that ask the big question concerning a pay cut , why?