PDA

View Full Version : Smith's hit on Chatman...

Mosca
11-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Man, that looked like helmet-to-helmet to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he heard from the league office. It looked to me like he lowered his head into it.

Borski
11-27-2007, 12:01 AM
I don't expect a fine for that.

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Man, that looked like helmet-to-helmet to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he heard from the league office. It looked to me like he lowered his head into it.

Looked that way to me, too, Tom. I love this kid's intensity, but he needs to tone it down a teenie bit.

Mikee
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
After that hit I said "here comes a fine" we will see I guess.

X-Terminator
11-27-2007, 12:14 AM
If he gets fined for that hit, I'll be pissed. He lowered his shoulder to hit him, and their helmets just happened to hit. That kind of play happens multiple times in every game; the only difference is that Chatman, unfortunately, was injured.

jjpro11
11-27-2007, 12:17 AM
normally helmet to helmet fines and penalties are issued when its a receiver catching the ball in a rather defenseless position.. in that case the defender can load up, time up and target his shot. chatman was moving and smith was going for the tackle. those kinds of tackles happen all the time.

Borski
11-27-2007, 12:19 AM
normally helmet to helmet fines and penalties are issued when its a receiver catching the ball in a rather defenseless position.. in that case the defender can load up, time up and target his shot. chatman was moving and smith was going for the tackle. those kinds of tackles happen all the time.

I know, thats why I dont think he will get fined....but who knows with the NFL these days

Galax Steeler
11-27-2007, 05:03 AM
Smith is just a hard hitting player with the field conditions the way they were chatman looked like he was going down when smith came in and made helmet to helmet I don't think it was intintenal.

LambertIsGod58
11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Every time I turn around, Smith has another hit I'm hearin' about....gotta love him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't expect a fine for that.

Me either...you can make as much of an arguement that either player lowered their heads.

alittlejazzbird
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Looked that way to me, too, Tom. I love this kid's intensity, but he needs to tone it down a teenie bit.

Yup, I thought so too, as soon as I saw the replay. Maybe that contact was incidental, but to me it looked like their helmets hit hard. I'm surprised he wasn't flagged for it.

I love Smith's intensity as well, but I worry that his aggressiveness seems to come from anger and negative emotion as opposed to someone like Troy, who's all focus and fire despite being one of the most placid people I've ever seen. Hopefully with experience and maturity, Smith can get a handle on that.

ShutDown24
11-27-2007, 11:36 AM
The thing that gets me is Chatman got the first down, then Smith goes over to Tyrone and smarts celebrating. Whether you got a big hit or not you let them get the first Smith. Pissed me off. You are put out there to make tackles and big hits, so why act excited when you do. Especially when it didn't stop anything.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I saw it and I don't think there should be any fine.

Helmets collide many times in a game. The fines come when it was a blatant helmet to helmet hit.

Chatman walked off with what looked like an arm or chest injury, not a head injury.

SteelerFanInCA
11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Smith is just a sticking machine. That one made my neck hurt.

TackleMeBen
11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
they said that chatman has a neck injury probably from the smith hit. its hard to say whether it was on purpose or not. but i wouldnt be surprised if smith was fined for it.

moedap
11-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Look at the hit again and u will see Smiths helmet was lower than Chatmans. Smith should be happy he didnt leave with a neck injury. As far as fines are concerned if there is one the league is monitoring Smith. I thought it was legal hit.

Blitzburgh_Fever
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
It looked fine to me. Chatman lowered his head as Anthony Smith went for a low tackle. Similar thing happened in one of the Colts-Patriots playoff games, Bruschi about took off one of their receiver's heads and they never flagged. Of course, then I thought it should be a flag, so... :hunch:

steelpride12
11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
No fine will be given just another hard hit from the young impressive FS who loves to mess people up(TJ housyamamma!)

Rhee Rhee
11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
i say we just enjoy the hit and hopefully will let it slide...

bozz723
11-28-2007, 03:47 AM
How much lower did you want him to get?

There is a 0% chance he will get fined because it was a legal hit. That was a perfect shoulder tackle, that Chatman made helmet to helmet.

Jeeze.

Glace
11-28-2007, 10:40 AM

That's the whole problem with the team right now....it's too toned down.

If I had the money, I'd pay for every hit like that our Steelers made the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

Big hits are always a good way to get people fired up!!!