PDA

View Full Version : For All You Bruce Arians Fans Out There....

Black@Gold Forever32
11-27-2007, 12:30 AM
This post is pure genius and no it wasn't mine.....It was by some intelligent fan on another Steeler site.

With advance apologies to Iron City, Arians is a *****....still. Sure the conditions were less than perfect, but his in-game decision making is nothing better than grab bag. I don't want to hear any more bullshit about the field conditions dictating the offense.

Arians had the hand delivered gift (meaning he inherited it, he didn't earn it) of average starting field position somewhere around midfield if not better. We moved the ball effectively actually, both in running and in passing. Ben was something like 18 of 20. Willie had some running lanes. The problem was, we ended up with nothing to show for it and that my friends is the responsibility of our offensive coordinator.

Arians also had the luxury of MULTIPLE 2nd & shorts, as a result of an effective 1st down run by Willie. What did he do with 2nd & short? Nada, wasted several 2nd & shorts with a predictable run up the gut for nothing, setting up 3rd down and you guessed it, either a soft Najeh stuff or another Ben sack. If you look at the play-by-play, you will see that in the 2nd half alone, on 5 separate play sequences, Bruce called Run-Run on 1st and 2nd downs. On at least 2 (maybe 3) of the 3rd downs, Ben was sacked and on another other 3rd down, soft Najeh was stuffed. (On damn near 50% of our play sequences today, he ran a Run-Run-Pass offensive series.)

In a vacuum, maybe these aren't terrible calls. But knowing that a) we have sack issues on 3rd down drop back pass situations and b) we have trouble converting in short yardage run situations, Bruce has no excuse for being so damn conservative.

Again, my issue with Bruce is he played this game to not lose it, instead of to win it.

I can't agree more with this statement my issue with Bruce is he played this game to not lose it, instead of to win it....

To think I thought this conservative approach would have stopped when the Cowher era ended...lol

Edman
11-27-2007, 01:44 AM
No argument here.

This is the second game in a row Arians has called an ultra-conservative game. He called the game to play not to lose. Guess what? The Steelers ALMOST blew it. There was clearly no reason to go conservative whatsoever. The score was 0-0 the entire game. Take some strikes. Open it up. Get Willie in space.

Our O-Line stinks, but Arians is certainly not doing them any favors with the playcalling. It's easy to dial up blitzes and stunts when you obviously know what's coming. Runs on obvious running downs, passes on obvious passing downs. Oh, and he doesn't believe in the 3 step drop. That writes it home right there. He has finally picked up on Cowher's stubborn tendencies. Permanantly this time.

revefsreleets
11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
It doesn't really matter who the Steelers OC is, he'll always be hated. I know one thing for sure, though: The Steelers offense will never be run by anonymous posters on internet message boards.

You guys would have HATED me as OC last night. I would have run, run, run punted all game, played field position and completely abandoned the pass. Throwing a waterlogged ball around in a swamp is asking for trouble.

Mosca
11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
I can't say that I have any great insight into offensive strategy. In some cases I agree, in others I disagree.

My opinion is that when the game is played at half speed it favors the less talented team. I think that part of the problem was that the staff had decided this game was going to be a "back to basics" game where we asserted physical dominance, and that the game plan was dumbed down to take that into account... and those plans were thwarted by weather conditions. On one hand you can say that the insistence on sticking to the game plan shows stubbornness and intransigence and stupidity. But on the other hand you can say that those are the plays that we had most prepared, and that conditions were the same for both teams.

In either case, I don't think it bodes well for our team. Either the coaches don't have an opportunistic outlook (the complaint of the original post), or our players are unable to either execute properly or assert dominance (which is what I think is the problem). On telling back-to-back possessions, the Dolphins rushed 3 and sacked Roethlisberger; when they got the ball, we rushed 5 and Beck, with all the time in the world, completed a 15 yarder. I simply can't believe that five professional offensive linemen and one professional running back can't block ANY three professional defensive linemen. Something is wrong there.

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 04:45 PM
It doesn't really matter who the Steelers OC is, he'll always be hated. I know one thing for sure, though: The Steelers offense will never be run by anonymous posters on internet message boards.

You guys would have HATED me as OC last night. I would have run, run, run punted all game, played field position and completely abandoned the pass. Throwing a waterlogged ball around in a swamp is asking for trouble.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/candicecandance/applause.gif

stlrtruck
11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
From the North End Zone you could tell they were play calling not to lose, even when they had the field position in their favor!!

Steelerstrength
11-28-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm glad we decided to pass the ball, especially on that last drive!

Pittsburgh Steelers at 04:13
1-10-MIA 42 (4:13) 39-W.Parker left guard to MIA 40 for 2 yards (94-K.Traylor).
2-8-MIA 40 (3:39) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to 86-H.Ward to MIA 19 for 21 yards (32-J.Allen).
1-10-MIA 19 (3:02) 39-W.Parker left tackle to MIA 10 for 9 yards (32-J.Allen). PENALTY on PIT-83-H.Miller, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIA 19 - No Play.
1-20-MIA 29 (2:55) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 86-H.Ward to MIA 23 for 6 yards (44-C.Worrell).
2-14-MIA 23 (2:14) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 86-H.Ward to MIA 12 for 11 yards (21-A.Goodman; 25-W.Allen).
Two-Minute Warning
3-3-MIA 12 (2:00) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short right to 15-W.Reid to MIA 6 for 6 yards (22-M.Lehan, 44-C.Worrell).
1-6-MIA 6 (1:19) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right to 39-W.Parker (55-J.Porter).
2-6-MIA 6 (1:13) 39-W.Parker right guard to MIA 5 for 1 yard (91-V.Holliday).
Timeout #3 by MIA at 01:07.
3-5-MIA 5 (1:07) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at MIA 6 for -1 yards (sack split by 90-R.Wright and 52-C.Crowder).
Timeout #1 by PIT at 00:20.
4-6-MIA 6 (:20) (Field Goal formation) 3-J.Reed 24 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-60-G.Warren, Holder-9-D.Sepulveda.
MIA 0 PIT 3 Plays: 9 Possession: 3:56

Not to mention our efficiency on pass vs run. Game totals.

Pittsburgh Steelers (8-3-0)
TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 13
By Rushing 3
By Passing 10
By Penalty 0
THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY 4/12 - 33%
FOURTH DOWN EFFICIENCY 0/1 - 0%
TOTAL NET YARDS 216
Total Rushing/Passing Plays (includes Sacks) 55
Average Gain per Offensive Play 3.9
NET YARDS RUSHING 84
Total Rushing Plays 29
Average Gain per Rushing Play 2.9
Tackled for a Loss (Number-Yards) 4-6
NET YARDS PASSING 132
Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 5 - 33
Gross Yards Passing 165
PASS COMP-ATT-INT 18 - 21 - 1
Average Gain per Passing Play (includes Sacks) 5.1

I want to overlook the fact that Arians was a Clown, and I'm reserving more critical words for the end of our season, should they be necessary. The W's are extremely important from here out! Arians must be at his well-paid best!