PDA

View Full Version : Davenport

the24fan
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Steelers need to cut this waste of space.. cant get a yard twice on third downs! Holding penalty.. this guy runs like a wuss. Never seen a guy that big run as bad as he does. NO Passion in his game:banging:

Borski
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
umm.....sorry, I dont agree with you.

ShutDown24
11-27-2007, 11:39 AM
You are completely right 24 fan. I've said this since last year. He was cut by the Packers because he is a very average player. He is bad at pass protection, is a 5'8 imposter in a 6'1 body and on screens doesn't make the plays Willie or Verron Haynes could have on third down.

Need examples?

The Dolphins CB Allen was coming on blitz plays pretty often and Davenport wiffed more than once. A particular time Allen ran through him, we're talking about a cornerback.

How many times this year have we brought Davenport in on third and one and given him the ball on a dive play? MANY times and he fails almost always because he runs completely erect and upright.

Screens on third and long, he gets the ball and goes down with the first contact. Give it to Willie, at least he has a chance to make a play.

And the penalties????

I don't think it is right to critisize much from last night because of the conditions but this guy has been failing since hes put on the Steeler uniform.

the24fan
11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Just curious.. umm WHY? How long do we have to watch him get stopped for no gain on 3rd and 1? He has no explosion into the line of scrimmage. His lack of explosion far outweighs any positives. Only time he does well is when he gets a head of steam which isnt very often..Kreider needs those carries. period

memphissteelergirl
11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Steelers need to cut this waste of space.. cant get a yard twice on third downs! Holding penalty.. this guy runs like a wuss. Never seen a guy that big run as bad as he does. NO Passion in his game:banging:

Borski was being diplomatic, but I will just come right out and ask....
Are you stoned or just stupid? :wtf:

the24fan
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh..sorry bro..im new to the show so im learnin on the fly..guess im stating the obvious but im pullin out what remaining hair i have left watchin this bum. I may flame alot more than once before i catch on so please bear with me:cheers:

HometownGal
11-27-2007, 11:48 AM

I don't agree, either, and that's all I'm going to say.

the24fan
11-27-2007, 11:48 AM
whoops sorry bought the bro comment.. my bad..sorry

ShutDown24
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Borski was being diplomatic, but I will just come right out and ask....
Are you stoned or just stupid? :wtf:

Neither, he's right. Watch film on Davenport. The only time he gets anything is when the holes are huge and no one touches him. My patience is gone with this guy and it seems like Tomlin is starting to lean towards Davis on third downs.

Borski
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Just curious.. umm WHY? How long do we have to watch him get stopped for no gain on 3rd and 1? He has no explosion into the line of scrimmage. His lack of explosion far outweighs any positives. Only time he does well is when he gets a head of steam which isnt very often..Kreider needs those carries. period

oh, ok...we''ll just go and get Deuce Staley for ya....he should be a great fit for us.

Dump Truck might be a little inconsitent at times but he is a much better improvment of what we had before and he has done pretty well this season....

GP - Att - Yds - Avg - TDs - Fum
11 - 64 - 320 - 5.0 --- 3 ---- 0

for not being a starter, those are not bad stats....he does have more TD's then Willie

the24fan
11-27-2007, 11:54 AM
thank god someone else sees that too. goes down on the first hit, runs too tall, and my predic is he will be let go in the offseason. the guy is just too soft. period
:banging:

SteelerFanInCA
11-27-2007, 12:06 PM
The holding call on him last night was kind of weak. He should have been able to man handle the under sized CB that was coming his way without holding him.

alittlejazzbird
11-27-2007, 12:30 PM

Sorry, gonna have to disagree with you. His production has dropped off as the season has progressed, just as Willie's has, but that's a reflection on the play of the offensive line. He's currently averaging 5 yards per carry, as opposed to Willie's 3.9.

Davenport was solid in his role earlier in the season when the line was playing better, and no one was calling him a waste of space then.

Petesburgh66
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
The OL is huge reason why the RBs have stalled lately. What do you expect the RBs to do if the OL can't open holes up?

SteelDogFan
11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
And who would you put in in his place for his money.

Da Steeler Soprano
11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Cut his ass and use the money to re-sign Faneca and dress Rusell. Or atleast just bench him to wake him up and let Rusell get some playing time, we could at least use him on special teams.

jjpro11
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Cut his ass and use the money to re-sign Faneca and dress Rusell. Or atleast just bench him to wake him up and let Rusell get some playing time, we could at least use him on special teams.

davenport's contract is not what is keeping us from re-signing faneca.

klick81
11-27-2007, 01:45 PM

Good point!

BlastFurnace
11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
The bigger issue here is that our OL is getting no push. It's hard to make the 3rd and 1's when a defender is on your heels 2 yards deep in the backfield.

The only other option on our roster would be to play Gary Russell or to slide Davis over from Fullback in short yardage sets....but they are still running behind that OL.

At this point in the season, I think we need to stick with Davenport.

Infamix
11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
He's average...he makes really good plays sometimes but also gets stuffed. I wouldn't say he's a waste of space but he really needs to improve his blocking. Our pass protection has fell off on 3rd down since Verron Haynes got injured/left.

SCSTILLER
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
24fan, I will stand with you on this one! I hear the jabs coming already! He is soft, and yes, his YPC is higher than Willies, but he had a couple of 20 and 40 yard runs. He is not the big back complement to Parker nor will he ever be. He gets burned on pass blocking, goes down too easy, and is horrible on special teams. For a guy his size and speed, he needs to be hitting the hole with a full head of steam. Instead, he twinkle toes around and doesn't get the first downs. He also runs way too upright, doesn't lower his shoulder. I know, the O-line is horrible, I will give him that, but that is all. As for a replacement for the money, would have to do a little research on that one. But I am with you 24!

Haiku_Dirtt
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Disagree too.

But if you were to only watch his performances against Miami and the Jets I can understand why this is a topic. He played like he was on the way to the dentist. Let's hope it's a rut.

God knows we need blockers...

jjpro11
11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Disagree too.

But if you were to only watch his performances against Miami and the Jets I can understand why this is a topic. He played like he was on the way to the dentist. Let's hope it's a rut.

God knows we need blockers...

i guess the seattle game, cleveland game, 49ers game, etc dont count in this case.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-27-2007, 03:53 PM
i guess the seattle game, cleveland game, 49ers game, etc dont count in this case.

I guess my expectations are lower than most. We don't pay this guy enough to expect alot.

He fills a role not a need. And helping our Pro Bowler Marvel Smith holding down one rusher is a role he'll continue to fill until the season is over.

steelpride12
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
This is a silly topic ok he had a bad 4th and one pretty sure if you see him throughout the whole year he helped alot!

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I had hoped that Najeh would have been a good short yardage guy, but he's not proving to be that. However I don't say he's a waste on the roster, just a great breather for Willie at times in a game.

Now as for short yardage, with the explosiveness Willie has, you'd expect him to be able to hit the hole and get that one yard, but even he failed last night.

And for anyone out there thinking "the bus", I loved that man, but even he got stuffed once in a while. It happens.

I'd like to see Willie stay in more on 3rd down, makes us less predictable, and would enjoy seeing Davis get some more runs from the fullback lead position, that quick hitter inside to the full back gets 3 or 4 yards a pop.

The Duke
11-27-2007, 07:33 PM
If there's someone better on this team right now to do Dookie's job? no, so I say he should stay

Rhee Rhee
11-27-2007, 11:46 PM
im sorri we just have to adress the 2nd RB spot in the draft.. im still waitin on a guy named PJ Hill from wisconsin