PDA

View Full Version : tomlinson, brees, and dwight for m. vick

tony hipchest
10-17-2005, 06:29 PM
many people thought the chargers got the short end of this trade but i thought it was great from the beginning. are there any steeler fans who would rather have vick over tomlinson alone? i think i already know the answer. we already have had a kordell. while im all for watching the steelers end streaks, tomlinson with a td in 18 straight games is pretty fun to watch. also tying a record with w. payton, and d. patten yesterday with a pass, run, and catch for a td is really and exclamation point. personally i hope he breaks e. smiths record if walter or barry cant have it.

Livinginthe past
10-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Have to agree with you on this one Tony.

Tomlinson defines 'Elite' - he has been the one focal point of a team that has been mediocre at best for most of his career - which I think makes his achievements all the more impressive.

Every week teams play the Chargers knowing that if they can shutdown Tomlinson they have an almost guaranteed win - and week after week they fail.

Kudos to the Chargers for making a rare insightful Draft Day move.

Cheers

NM

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
I agree
The thing i like the most about LT. is hes not arrogant. Hes respectful in his interviews and i remember one interview of him praising E. Smith and saying that his dream is to live up to his status.
I think he will.

tony hipchest
10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
having gone to a WAC school i followed LT and remember people saying he wouldnt match his college career in the nfl due to the competition he faced. marshall faulk faced the same competition.

TasmanianTroy271
10-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow, I thought this was a joke post at first. Is this a real trade? wow, let's trade Ron Mexico for LT, who, barring a career ending injury, will at least break one rushing record. I dunno, I just can't see it...

Livinginthe past
10-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Wow, I thought this was a joke post at first. Is this a real trade? wow, let's trade Ron Mexico for LT, who, barring a career ending injury, will at least break one rushing record. I dunno, I just can't see it...

It was the original draft day trade made a few years back when Tomlinson and Vick were entring the NFL the same year.

Dwight and Brees were players selected with the additional draft picks the Falcons gave up to have Vick on their team.

The way things are going looks like LT wants a shot at the 'Best Throwing Running Back' in the game award that Vick wins every year. :rolleyes:

NM

tony hipchest
10-17-2005, 11:42 PM
i dont know if tasmaniantroy is being sarcastic or not but his reaction is correct. tomlinson is way better than vick. brees straight up might be better than vick at this point. dwight was already on the atlanta roster and thrown in for good measure in the trade. point being is that tomlinson+ brees> r. mexico and his neverending streak of injuries. atleast kordell didnt get hurt that much.

Livinginthe past
10-17-2005, 11:53 PM
i dont know if tasmaniantroy is being sarcastic or not but his reaction is correct. tomlinson is way better than vick. brees straight up might be better than vick at this point. dwight was already on the atlanta roster and thrown in for good measure in the trade. point being is that tomlinson+ brees> r. mexico and his neverending streak of injuries. atleast kordell didnt get hurt that much.

Tasmanian Troy may be a little too young to remember that Draft - all them many moons ago haha - still I wouldnt mind being back at 17...the things id do different eh?

That last sentence WAS NOT an invite to tell me all the things I have done wrong with my life BTW ha ha

Cheers

NM

Prosdo
10-18-2005, 01:31 AM
I'll take LT over Vick any day.

TasmanianTroy271
10-18-2005, 06:29 AM
lol sorry guys, showing my youth here. :bouncy: I only really got into the steelers and football the year before Ben got here, mainly cause of my older brother. That trade just suprises me, no matter what the circumstances. With a quarterback like Vick, your playbook becomes kind of limited, cause you can't really have a set passing game when your quarterback tries running it everydown. At least LT boosted one part of your game, while he didnt but into any others.

tony hipchest
10-18-2005, 10:46 AM
shoot, LT boosts the running receiving and passing game. 2 td passes already this year. that trade was much like the one the chargers and giants did with eli manning. atlanta wanted vick much more than chargers and the media kind of ripped the chargers for passing on a franchise qb who would fill the stadium and potentially become the michael jordan of football. they took who should be a hof running back instead and drew brees in the 2nd round. 2 pro bowl position players for the price of 1

tony hipchest
10-18-2005, 06:05 PM
espn must be combing these threads for topics. today pti discussed this topic and around the horn discussed if bruschi would be making a comeback if the pats were 6-0 or 5-1.

ironcitychef
10-19-2005, 03:07 AM
If we give credit, I'd like a second source, but lets credit Ed McGuire for making that trade. FO guys never get the props on stuff like this. Win or lose at the end it was a gutsy call giving up #1 but its already been a better deal in the long run. Also cause they didn't know about Brees and are now in possesion of a high demand piece of QB property in Rivers. The rich get richer...