PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

ShutDown24
11-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok so I have been thinking about this for a couple weeks and wanted to share it. Reverses, toss plays stuffed runs... All of them apply.

So say you are a wide out taking a hand off on a reverse (Like us and Miami last night) and there?s no where to go... You are about to step out of bounds to avoid the hit but you'll obviously take a loss...

So my question is...

Why not throw the ball away? Why don't teams coach this? If you're behind the line of scrimmage why not have the carrier throw it away to avoid the loss. If I was a coach I would coach this. You're out the pocket, can throw the ball as long as you haven't passed the LOS, there is little risk to the play... I don't get why this isn't coached... Anyway, thoughts? Think it's a stupid waste of time?

revefsreleets
11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
This is what makes the position of QB so difficult to play, especially at the NFL level. It's hard enough to get QB's to learn to toss the ball away (Ben still struggles with it), let alone a RB or WR who always thinks they can get "just one more yard" or make "just one more move". There is also the variable of trusting a guy to put the ball in play. These guys aren't going to have anywhere near the quick release that a QB does, and exposing the ball like that for even a split second increases the odds of the bad result (loss of yards) becoming the worst result (turnover).

There is one guy I'd make the exception for, and that's Darren McFadden. He's the most comfortable non-QB with the ball passing I've ever seen.

The Duke
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
This is what makes the position of QB so difficult to play, especially at the NFL level. It's hard enough to get QB's to learn to toss the ball away (Ben still struggles with it), let alone a RB or WR who always thinks they can get "just one more yard" or make "just one more move". There is also the variable of trusting a guy to put the ball in play. These guys aren't going to have anywhere near the quick release that a QB does, and exposing the ball like that for even a split second increases the odds of the bad result (loss of yards) becoming the worst result (turnover).

There is one guy I'd make the exception for, and that's Darren McFadden. He's the most comfortable non-QB with the ball passing I've ever seen.

Definitely, maybe that's the guy the dolphins need, play QB and runningback :sofunny:

FOOTEupyourarse
11-28-2007, 04:00 PM
the only problem with the WR trying to throw the ball away is he needs to make sure none of the linemen are illegally downfield when he throws or its a penalty. and 9 times out of 10 on a reverse there are plenty of people blocking downffield.